PDA

View Full Version : Which BBC-Productions do you like best???

Rolls_Rave
06-01-2009, 02:44 AM
My favourite BBC-producion - I hope it is ;) - is "Little Princess". The first time I saw it, I was 7. It was shown on Austrian television before christmas in 1988 but it was not repeated on Austrian TV. It's a real pity. But on the 19th of June I'm going to visit London, and I hope to get in on DVD anymore.
For me it was a very nice TV-serial but it must be confessed it also shocked me especially how Sara was treated by this "double-faced" person Miss Minchen. I can't lie I really hated her that my mother had to calm down me and told me that it is only a film and not reality.

jekan blazer
06-02-2009, 03:50 PM
i loooooove the monty python productions!!!

Apostile
06-03-2009, 04:54 AM
my favourite is..
a community knitting project started in 2006 by The National World War II Museum, is modeled after the great wartime civilian knitting efforts. The museum’s goal is a very modest one: simple scarves for veterans. In just two years, over 5,000 have been collected.
Apostile (http://www.apostile.us)

Niamh
06-03-2009, 06:05 AM
I loved the BBC productions of North and South, Wives and Daughters and Bleak House. Oh and Pride adn Prejudice of course!

Nightshade
06-03-2009, 06:17 AM
Not Top gear niamh? :brow:

tailor STATELY
06-03-2009, 08:59 AM
"I, Claudius"
"All Creatures Great and Small"
"To The Manor Born"
"Fawlty Towers"
"Yes Minister" / "Yes, Prime Minister"
"Doctor Who" (Tom Baker being my favourite Doctor)
"Red Dwarf"
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

wessexgirl
06-03-2009, 12:26 PM
Where do I start :D? I have so many, right, here we go........

Period drama, in no particular order:

I Claudius
North and South
Pride and Prejudice
Persuasion
Jane Eyre (2oo6)
Middlemarch
Cranford
Wives and Daughters
He Knew He Was Right
The Way We Live Now
Barchester Chronicles
Martin Chuzzlewit
Our Mutual Friend

Comedy:

The Office
Blackadder
The Apprentice (:lol: I know it's not "technically" a comedy but it's hilarious...ooh, interviews tonight, excruciating :D)

Documentaries:

In Search of Shakespeare
The Power of Art
The History of Britain

and so many more I'm sure, those are just with a quick think.

billl
06-03-2009, 01:05 PM
Poirot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8KXQG1eo6w&feature=PlayList&p=17D591071B13DF2D&index=8

Helga
06-03-2009, 03:54 PM
Monty python are the best... and the office...extras(I think that's right) and many more but I don't see that many here on the ice.. though they make many good documentaries

Rolls_Rave
06-05-2009, 11:17 AM
Thanks for your answers! I hope to get them on DVD during my stay in London.

Niamh
06-06-2009, 10:45 AM
Not Top gear niamh? :brow:

ohohohoh!!! HOW COULD I FORGET!
richard hammond *drool*

wessexgirl
06-06-2009, 10:55 AM
Poirot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8KXQG1eo6w&feature=PlayList&p=17D591071B13DF2D&index=8

Poirot was ITV billl, not BBC, but it was excellent anyway :thumbs_up.

kevinthediltz
06-06-2009, 09:19 PM
ohohohoh!!! HOW COULD I FORGET!
richard hammond *drool*

Everyone loves hammond. :lol:
Jeremy has the skills in the cars.
Topgear has got my vote.

JuniperWoolf
06-06-2009, 09:36 PM
I don't know if Wind in the Willows is BBC, but its the most british thing that I've ever seen in my life.

Eryk
06-06-2009, 10:12 PM
I'm watching the latest BBC production of Bleak House on iTunes, and I like it a lot.

Seraphina
06-07-2009, 09:37 AM
BBC have done a fair few excellent productions, but my favourite is without a doubt The Virgin Queen (starring Anne Marie Duff and Tom Hardy)

Niamh
06-07-2009, 10:04 AM
Topgear has got my vote.

Hammond is the best! :D
thank god he survived that crash!

I'm watching the latest BBC production of Bleak House on iTunes, and I like it a lot.
it is fantastic!

Stargazer86
06-07-2009, 06:29 PM
Monty Python, Sherlock Holmes (with Jeremy Brett), Keeping Up Appearences (though it's been quite some time since I've seen it), Absolutely Fabulous (again, been awhile), and Trigger Happy TV (was that a BBC production?)

wessexgirl
06-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Topgear has got my vote.

I don't. And I despise Clarkson even more.

Sherlock Holmes is ITV too, it was brilliant. Jeremy Brett was the best Holmes ever. Sad that he died.

Trigger Happy tv was Channel 4.

Stargazer86
06-07-2009, 06:47 PM

Sherlock Holmes is ITV too, it was brilliant. Jeremy Brett was the best Holmes ever. Sad that he died.

Trigger Happy tv was Channel 4.

:lol: I'm from the States. I usually assume most British shows are BBC :P I could have sworn that they had the BBC logo when airing Sherlock Holmes on A&E. And yes, he was the best Holmes. He looked like hell towards the end of it from his sickness/meds. Very sad.

My grandma and I just bought his version of Hound of the Baskervilles on dvd :) Great stuff

kilted exile
06-07-2009, 06:51 PM

I dislike clarkson too - xenophobic twit

edited to add:
In sickness & in health
Some mothers do 'ave em
Only Fools & horses
Blackadder (especially goes forth)
The version of Great Expectations with Ioann Gryffud - in fact almost all dickens adaptations, with the exception of the most recent oliver twist
Dad's Army

wessexgirl
06-07-2009, 07:00 PM
I dislike clarkson too - xenophobic twit

edited to add:
In sickness & in health
Some mothers do 'ave em
Only Fools & horses
The version of Great Expectations with Ioann Gryffud - in fact almost all dickens adaptations, with the exception of the most recent oliver twist
Dad's Army

Glad I'm not the only one.
Blackadder is the greatest comedy ever, (along with the Office and Extras), and the Beeb are brilliant at Dickens, except, as you say, the latest Oliver Twist, that was a real blip on their record.

:lol: I'm from the States. I usually assume most British shows are BBC :P I could have sworn that they had the BBC logo when airing Sherlock Holmes on A&E. And yes, he was the best Holmes. He looked like hell towards the end of it from his sickness/meds. Very sad.

My grandma and I just bought his version of Hound of the Baskervilles on dvd :) Great stuff

It's very strange, because with the proliferation of digital channels, I find programmes that were made by the Beeb popping up on commercial tv, and vice versa. It's very odd, but SH was one of the best dramas from ITV ever. It was very sad about JB. I think I need to watch them again, which won't be hard, as they're always on ITV 2/3.

Niamh
06-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Some mothers do 'ave em
Only Fools & horses
Three greats!
But you forgot Brittas Empire and The Thin Blue Line. :p

Have you seen the Newest version of Bleak House? It was filmed with High Definition cameras. first ever intire programme to be done with HD. It is also spectacular. Gillian Anderson is amazing.

Mr Endon
06-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Monty python are the best... and the office...extras(I think that's right)

Yes!, and

Poirot

Yes!, and

Blackadder is the greatest comedy ever, (along with the Office and Extras)

Yes!

And I really don't have much to add.

TurquoiseSunset
06-09-2009, 03:38 AM
I'm not sure if all of these are BBC, but:
Keeping Up Appearances
North and South
Pride and Prejudice
Fawlty Towers
Poirot (I think it's ITV though)
Are you being served?
Brittas Empire

Fen
06-10-2009, 05:02 PM
Tess D'Uberville was beautiful absolutely beautiful.

SmileyBon
06-16-2009, 11:53 AM
Did anyone ever see the adaptation of "A Christmas Carol" with Ross Kemp as Scrouge? and it was more Groundhog day than the usual story?

I loved that! it was on at Christmas (obvioulsy!) about 4 years ago now or something :S but it was done really well for a modern twist which I don't normally like :)

amarna
06-17-2009, 03:31 AM
I liked the BBC Byron Biopic (cute alliteration...) with Jonny Lee Miller and Vanessa Redgrave.

Helga
06-17-2009, 07:06 AM
there is a mini series after the books Cranford by Gaskell I've been watching, very good

amarna
06-18-2009, 02:30 AM
The Gaskell books are so charming! I found the Cranford mini series you spoke of at Youtube, thanks for the hint, Helga.

kiz_paws
06-18-2009, 02:55 AM
I like:

Monty Pyton
Fawlty Towers
Keeping Up Appearances
Little Britain (but is this BBC? hilarious, nonetheless)

billl
06-18-2009, 02:59 AM
Oh, Jehosaphat Presley, if you haven't watched all 12 episodes of Fawlty Towers on YouTube yet, you really don't know what the internet is for.

Niamh
06-18-2009, 02:59 AM
there is a mini series after the books Cranford by Gaskell I've been watching, very good
That was really really good! But so depressing.

I like:

Monty Pyton
Fawlty Towers
Keeping Up Appearances
Little Britain (but is this BBC? hilarious, nonetheless)

Three greats on top Kiz!
Never got into Little Britian...

amarna
06-18-2009, 03:57 AM
Never got into Little Britian...

But Andy and Lou (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JTWXcJqTME&feature=related) are sooo cute

Mathor
08-11-2009, 09:28 PM
Pride and Prejudice!

wessexgirl
08-12-2009, 07:12 AM
Oh, Jehosaphat Presley, if you haven't watched all 12 episodes of Fawlty Towers on YouTube yet, you really don't know what the internet is for.

I know I'm in a minority here, but I really didn't like Fawlty Towers. It has absolutely nothing to do with being my ex's favourite (honestly), I hated it from the start. I know I'm being sacrilegious here, but I fail to find it funny, which my offspring can't understand, as they love it, and we seem to have similar tastes in our humour otherwise. Oh well, we can't all like the same things :).

kilted exile
08-24-2009, 06:16 PM
Glad I'm not the only one.
Blackadder is the greatest comedy ever, (along with the Office and Extras), and the Beeb are brilliant at Dickens, except, as you say, the latest Oliver Twist, that was a real blip on their record

I never liked gervais. he has always bugged me

The oliver twist annoyed me because the acting was more on a par with eastenders than serious drama

onioneater
09-11-2009, 10:42 PM
Bleak house
little dorrit
cranford
jane eyre

DanielBenoit
09-12-2009, 12:30 AM
Nothing on TV has ever beat Monty Python before or since.

I, Claudus is another one of the extremely few masterworks of television.

toni
09-12-2009, 12:43 AM
Tess D'Uberville was beautiful absolutely beautiful.

:eek2: There was a Tess D'Urbervilles BBC Production? I have to see that one!
On another note, I've caught a few episodes of Pride and Prejudice which I greatly enjoyed. :nod:

Annamariah
09-15-2009, 12:31 PM
Top Gear, of course :nod::banana:

Jane Eyre adaptation with Ruth Wilson and Toby Stephens is wonderful :)

Idril
09-24-2009, 12:00 AM
Forsyte Saga was BBC, right? That would definitely be on the top of my list, along with Monty Python, Fawlty Tours...oh! And Life on Mars. The American version of it was crap but the original BBC series was brilliant.

Jazz_
10-05-2009, 01:33 AM
I have quite a few :p

Pride & Prejudice
Dr. Who
Blackadder
Coupling - missed Jeff in the last series though
Spooks
Jonathan Creek
Life On Mars - agree with Idril about American one :rolleyes:
Torchwood
Robin Hood
My Family

Annamariah
10-05-2009, 04:05 PM
Spooks

I just thought I should come and add Spooks on my list (didn't remember it last time, but the new season just begun here which reminded me), and then saw you'd just mentioned it. Good choice :nod:

wessexgirl
10-05-2009, 05:15 PM
Forsyte Saga was BBC, right? That would definitely be on the top of my list, along with Monty Python, Fawlty Tours...oh! And Life on Mars. The American version of it was crap but the original BBC series was brilliant.

I think the older version of TFS may have been the Beeb, but the more recent one with the excellent Damian Lewis in was ITV. The old one was from the 60s (I think) and was in black and white. Which version did you mean?

mal4mac
10-10-2009, 09:27 AM
Men of ideas, The great philosophers - Bryan Magee
The Ascent of Man - Jacob Bronowski
Civilisation - Kenneth Clarke
The Morecambe & Wise Xmas shows
Fawlty Towers
Bleak House (Phew! Something from this millenia... but read the book first ...)

Boy am I old :)

Jazz_
10-14-2009, 04:38 AM
I only started watching spooks around season 5, but I bought all of the seasons and am working my way through them :D