PDA

View Full Version : May '05 Book 1: 'Hyperion'

Scheherazade
04-28-2005, 11:44 AM
Please post your thoughts and questions regarding Hyperion here.

Book Club Procedures (http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?p=57103#post57103)

Nightshade
04-30-2005, 03:58 PM
Im new here can I join in please? or do I have to wait a while or somthing?

Scheherazade
04-30-2005, 07:33 PM
You can join our Book Club anytime you want... Welcome to the Forum! :)

Nightshade
05-01-2005, 06:33 AM
Thank you.

papayahed
05-01-2005, 09:06 AM
We've all been duped into reading 2 books this month. It's a conspiracy I tell you!!

SleepyWitch
05-01-2005, 01:58 PM
i'm gonna skip this month, alright?

Scheherazade
05-01-2005, 05:51 PM
We've all been duped into reading 2 books this month. It's a conspiracy I tell you!!
My library does not have them so I ordered... And they delivered the The Fall, not the Hyperion. So I can't start reading yet... :rolleyes:

Sleepy, join us again whenever you feel like :) I really enjoyed reading your comments about BNW!

papayahed
05-02-2005, 09:36 AM
My library does not have them so I ordered... And they delivered the The Fall, not the Hyperion. So I can't start reading yet... :rolleyes:

Sure you can, we already know what happens to Hyperion - It falls. :lol:

Jay
05-02-2005, 09:50 AM
LMAO!!! Papaya! SHUSH, lol, now all the librarians are glaring at me! :D

papayahed
05-04-2005, 09:59 AM
LMAO!!! Papaya! SHUSH, lol, now all the librarians are glaring at me! :D

Sorry Jay!

I started reading, anybody else? So far I'm liking the characters, although I'm wondering how to pronounce "Shrike" Is it like "Hike"? I'm not liking that word in the book.

Jay
05-04-2005, 11:39 AM
Sorry Jay!
You're so not :D

I would guess it pronounces like 'hike', I would read it like that.

Nightshade
05-04-2005, 02:06 PM
I got the book this afternoon and started reading.
So far Ive got part way through The priests story. Ill probably read till chapter 3 tonight.
Theres alot of referances to Keats in this book isnt there?
Also does anyone think that reading the cantebrey tales might help in a wierd sort of way?

Scheherazade
05-04-2005, 02:10 PM
I got to the part when they start telling their stories as well and thought exactly the same thing... That it might turn into a Sci-Fi Canterbury Tales or Tales of Decameron...

Taliesin
05-04-2005, 02:15 PM
I started reading, anybody else? So far I'm liking the characters, although I'm wondering how to pronounce "Shrike" Is it like "Hike"? I'm not liking that word in the book.

Yes, it pronounces like that. We checked it in the dictionary.

Shrike is IRL a small bird that has got a lovely habit of empaling its prey (bugs, little rodents) to sharp things such as sharp branches or barbed wire thorns when eating.

And yes, Hyperion is actually very commonly compared to "Canterbury tales".

That is also the reason why just reading Hyperion and not reading TFoH is well, doen't seem complete. Hyperion practically consists of the "tales", which's common denominator is relation to Hyperion. In TFoH there is the "plot"

Scheherazade
05-04-2005, 02:23 PM
That is also the reason why just reading Hyperion and not reading TFoH is well, doen't seem complete. Hyperion practically consists of the "tales", which's common denominator is relation to Hyperion. In TFoH there is the "plot"
You have just given me a reason to keep reading, Tal! :p

caspian
05-04-2005, 06:14 PM
I have to be satisfied just with on-line books. as "Hyperion" is non-available, I've already started reading "Sense and Sensibility" - got encouraged by seeing movie recently

Scheherazade
05-04-2005, 06:24 PM
Sense and Sensibility reads nicely... I like Austen. For next month, maybe you should vote for one of the books which are available online :)

Nightshade
05-05-2005, 01:50 AM
You probably noticed this but Silenus quotes the opening to Keats's Hyperion at the begining of chapter 2 "Deep in the shady....

Does anyone know what it is Kassad is quoting or misquoting when he says
"but if it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly"

Scheherazade
05-05-2005, 08:56 AM
I have finished reading Hoyt's (the priest) story... I am still not sure why Paul Dure wanted to 'punish' and forced himself to exile in the first place... Any ideas? Any who is exactly Edouard? Only a close friend?

papayahed
05-05-2005, 09:36 AM
I have finished reading Hoyt's (the priest) story... I am still not sure why Paul Dure wanted to 'punish' and forced himself to exile in the first place... Any ideas? Any who is exactly Edouard? Only a close friend?

I think he was forced to either resign or get in trouble for planting evidence that relics from the church were found somewhere where they weren't. He had a reason for going to Hyperion but I dn't recall what it was, it might just have been the hopes of finding those people (what's their names??) that he found.

So far I'm in the middle of Kassad's story, is it a couincidence that both have religion in common?

caspian
05-05-2005, 09:42 AM
Sense and Sensibility reads nicely... I like Austen. For next month, maybe you should vote for one of the books which are available online :)

certainly. actully saying "clas. is always good" i meant: "because they're always available in net" :p even if I can't find in English, russian version is always on. :banana:

Nightshade
05-06-2005, 01:54 AM
:cool:

I think he was forced to either resign or get in trouble for planting evidence that relics from the church were found somewhere where they weren't. He had a reason for going to Hyperion but I dn't recall what it was, it might just have been the hopes of finding those people (what's their names??) that he found.
Yeah I think he was forced to resign but it was kind of pettence (spelling?) and Edourd is like his best friend but also someone important though I dont think hes the pope.

So far I'm in the middle of Kassad's story, is it a couincidence that both have religion in common?
Not really Im halfway through the scholars tale and hes jewish! Also the poet is a pagan!
Do you think the poet is sort of Dan simmions?

Scheherazade
05-09-2005, 04:50 AM
How do you picture Ousters?

Any inkling about who might be the spy among them? (Please don't give it away if you have already read that far and found out)

I am finding it weird that there should be a baby with them... I can't imagine a parent wanting to take their child to death mission like this. Why wouldn't he leave her behind somewhere safe? Also, the baby is bound to make things difficult for them...

Taliesin
05-09-2005, 08:16 AM
So you haven't read the scholars tale yet?
We think that when you'll read it, you will understand.

Nightshade
05-09-2005, 11:18 AM
How do you picture Ousters?

I have to admit I already read the short story that comes after all the hyperion cantos its called Orphans of the Helix and is part of the Far horizons anthology (is that the right word?)
Anyway, point is in it the Ousters are 2 groups 1 look more or less normal but the other group are "space adapted' and sound as if they look a bit like Darth vader. They dont have mouthes and have "eye coverings that make them appear bug like" also they dont talk they transmit band waves like a radio and can fly on solar whatsits currents with "wings' though Im not really sure what these are.
**EDIT** Sorry Ive been through and fixed most of my spelling now!

Scheherazade
05-09-2005, 12:51 PM
So you haven't read the scholars tale yet?
We think that when you'll read it, you will understand.
I have finished reading the poet's story. I am reading a chapter a day;can't take more of Sci-fi on any given day, I am afraid! :D

Thank you, for the info, Nightshade. I was wondering about the long limbs and tails mentioned in the second chapter. They reminded me of spiders or shrimps :p

Nightshade
05-10-2005, 11:19 AM
Have finished it now!! But I wont start the fall until next thursday(19)!
I Liked it but It wasnt really an "oh-my-gosh-this-is-a-simply-mindblowingly-fantastic-cant-put-it-down-not-going-to-do-anything-till-its-finished" book was it?

Scheherazade
05-11-2005, 08:28 AM
WTG, Nightshade! That was quick! I am half-way through yet... Finished Scholar's story but I don't feel like reading today...

papayahed
05-11-2005, 09:38 AM
I just finished the poets story.

Scheherazade
05-16-2005, 02:06 PM
Has anyone else thought that the love affair between Siri and Merin (their meeting at a masked ball, the murders of cousin and close friend) reminds of Romeo and Juliet?

Finished the book over the weekend. It was better than I expected (not a Sci-Fi fan!); a good experiment with the familiar story of pilgrims telling their tales with a futuristic twist to it.

papayahed
05-16-2005, 03:15 PM
Has anyone else thought that the love affair between Siri and Merin (their meeting at a masked ball, the murders of cousin and close friend) reminds of Romeo and Juliet?

huh? Didn't think of that, but now that you mention it...

I finished the first book yesterday also. And I read the last couple pages of the second book, so I know what happens!!!!!!

Scheherazade
05-16-2005, 06:14 PM
Haven't started reading TFoH yet. After finishing Hyperion, I read The PowerBook and started reading a detective book as well as a breather between the two. I will start TFoH on the 20th...

There is a separate thread for TFoH here for those who have already started reading it: http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4532

papayahed
05-16-2005, 06:25 PM
I keep forgetting to look this up: is there a significance to the name of the treeship? Yaggdrisl (sp?) I know I've heard the name before but I can't remember where?

Taliesin
05-17-2005, 12:14 AM
Yggdrasil.

It comes from Scandiavian mythology, where the World tree was called so.

Nightshade
05-17-2005, 02:51 AM
I see Im not the only one who reads last pages first! :cool: I didnt think of the romeo&j connection but it wouldnt be suprising everything seems to link to some kind of literature. And shakespear was important to the real keats so maybe it is relavant.
Ps the forum dissapeared for two days where did it go??

EAP
11-11-2005, 11:00 PM
Space Opera at its very best.

The Extracts from the journal of Father Paul Duri were probably my favorite parts of the story. I am a sucker for great description and Simmon's prose here bordered on sublime.

There are books about which you can write a lot, discuss them in detail, expound upon their structure, nettle out the metaphors imbued in their text and generally rip the story into tattered pieces. Hyperion isn't one of them. It is something fare rarer - a truly great story. It is considered 'soft science fiction', but what it does is that it presents the best science fiction has to offer without all the boring techincal details that bog the text down. 'All The Pretty Horses' by Cormac McCarthy's another example of a similar book on a completely different level. So is 'The Lord Of The Rings,' 'Wuthering Heights' or 'Mission of Gravity.'

Anyway, It was so engaging that I read the whole book in one sitting. :p