PDA

View Full Version : English Extended Essay

flicka
05-28-2009, 02:52 AM
I've chosen to write an English Extended Essay, but I'm completely lost as to where to go from there.

I read Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, Persuasion, and Emma awhile ago, and I loved them all, so I would really like to use them.

The thing is, by 'awhile ago' I actually mean a couple of years ago, so everything is kind of rusty. Additionally, my school is pretty intense. we have just started writing our World LIterature essays annnnd exams are in two weeks (mocks) and the EE outline is due on the last day of exams, and there are a variety of other projects/essays I have to write for other subjects that are due in before exams start... so everything is just so hectic, it's hard to find time for anything, let alone going through all the books to find a research question.

Soo yes :) I was wondering if anyone had any ideas/suggestions? that would be amazing

I mean, I did think of a couple of research questions but they were all very basic and I'm sure have all been done before... many times. I really want to find something that's interesting but 'unique' I guess? just because a lot of people have written about Jane Austen for their EE's so yess

well thank you

kiki1982
05-28-2009, 04:56 AM
What about the heroes in all those books? As most Austen-writings are about the heroines, it is nice to take it from the other side. But I am not sure if that hasn't been done before.

I find that Darcy (P&P) is quite similar to Wentworth (Persuasion), only W was a little better in the beginning and became a Darcy-like figure because of 'angry pride'. Nonetheless, he does move in the book as a Darcy and we only get information about his former character briefly. Other than that, both men do repent and become better to themselves because of a shock (Lizzie's refusal and Louisa Musgrove's accident at Lyme).

I haven't read Emma yet, but could there be by any chance not a Ferrars-type figure (S&S) moving around in that book? I thought that there is a man who is courting someone else to deceive opinions because he is already engaged to Miss Fairfax? (correct me if I'm wrong, the same situation as Lucy and Ferrars in S&S). Or a Willoughby-type figure? Or a Colonel Brandon, older, insecure but deeply in love, and very good at heart (Knightley, or the guy Emma marries in the end).

If you are really lucky, there is also a proud guy in there who is comparable to Darcy, Wentworth and Willoughby (he is the anti-hero until the end).

Just an idea. I am all for originality. But I don't know how original this is, though...:p