PDA

View Full Version : Belinda: A book to read before you die!

Nightshade
05-26-2009, 05:50 PM
This Book is amazing? why? because I say so! But other than that seriously it is an interesting look into turn of the 19th century England/British Empire ( since although set in England Edgeworth was Irish, and there are numerous references to the colonies and the newly independent States). Also interesting to note it is one of the three novels Austen refers to in Northanger Abbey

"And what are you reading, Miss--?" "Oh! It is only
a novel!" replies the young lady, while she lays down her
book with affected indifference, or momentary shame.
"It is only Cecilia, or Camilla, or Belinda"; or, in short,
only some work in which the greatest powers of the mind
are displayed, in which the most thorough knowledge of
human nature, the happiest delineation of its varieties,
the liveliest effusions of wit and humour, are conveyed
to the world in the best-chosen language.

I think it is one of those novels with layers, you can read it just as a romance ( gothic?) novel typical of the time. But also there is alot of things happening in the background. Slavery and freedom are debates. Women's rights. Love an d marriage. the dangers of gambling, alcohol and opium. Conflicts occurring in the world at large. Rousseau's Sofia. The vindication on the rights of women. Happiness.

And for the most part the story is good too. There is one slightly annoying deviation that has you going what? :confused: towards the end with a truly bizarre subplot twist. But this aside Its a fantastic book. I recommend someone else read it.
In fact I would say, except there is so much going on around the litnet at the moment anyway. This should be a book club book one month.
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAD it, hopefully you won't regret it.
:nod:

Taliesin
05-27-2009, 10:09 AM
But, Night, how shall I know when I die?

Nightshade
05-27-2009, 10:31 AM
you don't so you have to read it now!
:D

Eryk
05-27-2009, 12:49 PM
Edgeworth's writing style is somehow both intelligent and easy to read. Well-drawn characters keep it interesting. She was a master of her craft.

Taliesin
05-27-2009, 02:38 PM
you don't so you have to read it now!
:D
But how will I know I won't drop dead reading it?

Nightshade
05-27-2009, 06:37 PM
But how will I know I won't drop dead reading it?
At least you wll have started it!

Edgeworth's writing style is somehow both intelligent and easy to read. Well-drawn characters keep it interesting. She was a master of her craft.

EXACTLY couldnt have said it better myself, liking the absentee then?
I am about to start Ormond I think . :nod: :D
But if you ever choosse to read this we need to have a proper discussion thread going about it!

wessexgirl
05-27-2009, 07:42 PM
I've read a lot about this somewhere recently, but I can't remember where. It was all positive. Another one to go on the list.....

rosamatilda
06-01-2009, 10:56 PM
i wrote my m.a. thesis on edgeworth, so if anyone wants a serious discussion thread i'm game.

Nightshade
06-02-2009, 11:00 AM
i wrote my m.a. thesis on edgeworth, so if anyone wants a serious discussion thread i'm game.
Really? Now that would be intresting? I just got hold of a copy of The Great Maria which is a biography of her, or something I can't rember havent looked at it yet properly.