PDA

View Full Version : A brilliant author

Loki
04-23-2005, 04:41 AM
Wo ho! Really, this Jules Verne board is the most active one on the whole forum - just bubbling over with the energy of myriads of posts.

But to be serious. Jules Verne is a brilliant author. He was among the pioneers of sci-fi, and he has such a way of merging reality with unreality that you can almost believe his high-flown stories.

The Journey to the Centre of the Earth is possibly my favourite, though Around the World in Eighty Days was also very good. He really grips you with suspense, which I think is vital to any good science fiction story.

Still searching for UFO's,

Loki

Snukes
04-23-2005, 10:45 AM
I agree. His stories are delicious and well crafted. The language is, in turns, lovely and difficult. I tried reading him first when I was 9 or 10, and became quickly discourage. Then I saw old movie versions of The Time Machine and Journey to the Center of the Earth and fell in love with them, so when I was in high school, I tried the books again. Much better!

I might second your vote that Journey is my favorite.

READ88
06-01-2005, 11:38 AM
i agree with you that jules verne is a great other but in my opinion twenty thousand leagues under the sea is the best despite the fact that he can drone on about fish it is fun to follow the progress of the voyage.