PDA

View Full Version : the book from Lord Henry

kiki1982
05-06-2009, 08:51 AM
Does anyone know what the book is Lord Henry sends Dorian when he has decided to put the portrait upstairs in the schoolroom?

It is about a youth in Paris and about the corruption of the youth. A kind of psychoanalytical thing. Dorian gets fascinated by it and has several copies made in several colours so that it will suit his changing moods and tastes.

But does anyone know what book Wilde had in mind? It could be interesting to understand The Picture better...

Thanks!
k

Wilde woman
05-06-2009, 04:03 PM
The book is never named but scholars pretty much agree that it's A Rebours by Joris-Karl Huysmans.

Janine
05-06-2009, 06:55 PM
Wilde woman, did I ever tell you I love the book "The Picture of Dorian Gray"? This is interesting to find out about that novel. I had no idea on the subject. I just bought the film version; I saw it long ago and liked it. I believe the painting they used in this early production hangs in some famous museum now, probably in London, but don't quote me on that.

Wilde woman
05-06-2009, 10:20 PM
Janine, I've never seen the movie. Who's in it? So did some painter actually attempt to paint the portrait from the book? It must've been good if it's now in a museum.

Sorry kiki, don't mean to distract from your topic.

Janine
05-07-2009, 01:05 AM
Janine, I've never seen the movie. Who's in it? So did some painter actually attempt to paint the portrait from the book? It must've been good if it's now in a museum.

Sorry kiki, don't mean to distract from your topic.

It's an early film; stars George Sanders and Angela Landsbury, Donna Reed, Peter Lawford, Hurd Hatfield. I am nearly certain I saw it on TV awhile back and thought it was pretty well done and fascinating. Time will tell; haven't viewed it yet.

kiki1982
05-07-2009, 03:32 AM
Well, the topic is finished now you have answered the question, Wilde Woman :p

It is nice to know that a good film was made of it, anyway.

I am reading this for the second time. I read it first for English class when I was seventeen. Although I got the obsession of Dorian Gray with beauty, I didn't get the Faust-allusion and also not the true extent of the neurotic (we might say it now!) wish to do away with all things mondain. That is not surprising as I had only been learning English for about 4 years when I read it and I hadn't read Faust yet or knew about it.

For my sad level of English I think I did well in understanding that Dorian was desperate to stay beautiful and young... It was Wilde, together with Winnie the Pooh, and Roald Dahl who convinced me I could read English. Dickens was too difficult.

Countess
11-21-2009, 11:41 AM
Actually, it's a synthesis of Pater's "Renaissance" and Huysman's work.