PDA

View Full Version : Depressing?

whatsername
05-05-2009, 02:55 PM
Does Kafka's writings depress you and make you feel totally worthless? OR do they make you feel better...knowing that you're not the only messed up person in the world?

libernaut
06-30-2009, 02:01 AM
I believe Kafka is definitely depressing but it is that existential depression we as people almost strive for and appreciate.

billl
06-30-2009, 02:48 AM
I remember reading Kafka when I was pretty young, and then again in my mid-20's. I think it might help people to realize they aren't alone, that the world is messed-up and alienating sometimes. But I also think it can sort of train a heart to be cold, or pessimistic, too ready to find depression and absurdity around us. I think older readers are more ready to find some humor in Kafka, though.

Anyhow, after some Kafka, I think it's a good idea to read something with a warmer, more human, or more optimistic outlook. Maybe not right away, but eventually. To me, the most impressive stories (movies, songs, paintings, etc.) are the ones that are uplifting and positive, without being melodramatic or unrealistic. It's really hard to make art like that. Even me just describing it like that makes it sound like it would be terrible. So whenever we can enjoy something intelligent, creative, and optimistic, then I think we've found a real treasure.

virginiawang
06-30-2009, 04:47 AM
I 've only read one of Kafka's stories in college as a class requirement, and it was Metamorphasis. It was a truly discouraging story in which a man was transformed into an ugly insect during his sleep at night and was spurned and deserted by his family since they made the discovery. They starved him to death in the end. I wondered at the time I finished the story if it was a true description of reality, and if so life seemed worthless. However I couldn't have arrived at any conclusions because I was still marching in my journey of life.
After some years from college, as I looked back at the train of thoughts that had once lingered in my mind, I had some new explanations to this question. I believe there is a part of reality being truly harsh, but that part makes the blessings of our life more brilliant. For example, we can never see stars in the bright daylight, but when darkness overcomes us, the beauty of stars also reaches us.
I agree with Billl. I enjoy reading something truly uplifting, for example works by those transcendentalists.

Nemo Neem
10-23-2009, 07:19 PM
That's why I love Kakfa's work, because I can relate to it. That was his purpose. He wanted his readers to be depressed like he was.

Haunted
10-23-2009, 07:28 PM
So depressing, I wished I was never born.

blazeofglory
10-24-2009, 12:41 AM
Reading him is really interesting and depressing indeed but it is existential anguish

Maximilianus
10-24-2009, 04:07 AM
So depressing, I wished I was never born.

Oh no, dear Haunted!
What would we do without your existence? We need you to be. I need you to be :nod: Avoid reading this guy at any cost... he's giving you the wrong perspective :p