PDA

View Full Version : Pride and Prejudice Spin-Offs

IJustMadeThatUp
04-29-2009, 11:01 PM
I was just looking at an online bookstore, and noticed that there have been sequels written of Pride and Prejudice. These are some of the titles: Mr Darcy Takes a Wife, Pemberley Revisited, Darcy and Elizabeth and Mr Darcy's Diary.

A few of them had "sexy" in the notes from the publisher so I presume they are bodice rippers:lol:.

What I am curious to know is if anybody has bothered to read any sequels of P&P and what they thought of them. I presume they will be terrible but I always suffer from "Surely that isn't the end! Maybe there are more pages hidden somewhere."-itis when I finish a book I really like. Also, my curiosity is getting the better of me :D

Thanks!

eyemaker
04-29-2009, 11:19 PM
I was just looking at an online bookstore, and noticed that there have been sequels written of Pride and Prejudice. These are some of the titles: Mr Darcy Takes a Wife, Pemberley Revisited, Darcy and Elizabeth and Mr Darcy's Diary.

A few of them had "sexy" in the notes from the publisher so I presume they are bodice rippers:lol:.

What I am curious to know is if anybody has bothered to read any sequels of P&P and what they thought of them. I presume they will be terrible but I always suffer from "Surely that isn't the end! Maybe there are more pages hidden somewhere."-itis when I finish a book I really like. Also, my curiosity is getting the better of me :D

Thanks!

Yeah, I have seen those sequels at the bookstores. Though, I haven't been able to actually read it. But still I'm curious about the "flow" of the story..
:)

Wilde woman
04-30-2009, 02:32 AM

Yeah, I've seen a lot of those pop up in the last few years. I haven't picked any of them up, but I've always wondered...why now? What is it in the last few years that fueled such popular interest in P&P? Why didn't novels like this pop up in Austen's time?

Case in point, I went to a low budget play last year called...I kid you not...Pride and Succubus. :lol: It's P&P with vampires. Darcy and Bingley are both vampires and Lizzy is a vampire hunter trying to keep her ditzy sisters from wandering off with every tall, dark, and handsome stranger that comes along. Very entertaining...

IJustMadeThatUp
04-30-2009, 02:39 AM
Case in point, I went to a low budget play last year called...I kid you not...Pride and Succubus. :lol: It's P&P with vampires. Darcy and Bingley are both vampires and Lizzy is a vampire hunter trying to keep her ditzy sisters from wandering off with every tall, dark, and handsome stranger that comes along. Very entertaining...

Now THAT I would be entertaining! :lol: Was it still set in the same era? It should have done well, it has the perfect formula for todays market, Vampires and P&P. How could you go wrong?

It honestly couldn't be any worse than Bride and Prejudice. Actually it sounds a whole heap better.

kiki1982
04-30-2009, 03:29 AM
In Manchester I saw the other day one where Netherfield had been taken, but by a mob of zombies. The same text as P&P, but updated to suit the zombie scare.

In the first scene Mr Bennet is cleaning his gun.
The book revolves around the attempt to wear them off.
I considered to buy it because you could get it free if you bought 2 other books, but we didn't buy any books of the 'buy 2 get one free'-series...

Then there was another one, I think it was called The Bingleys, where a nervous Mr Bingley goes to consult his friend Mr Darcy about the wedding night that will shortly take place. Mr Darcy shows him the Kama Sutra.

The first book I liked but the second I found a little too far, although I can picture Darcy a very broad-minded intelligent man, I can't picture him that broad-minded.

That of the zombies, though, I would have read, if I had been able to get it...

Lokasenna
04-30-2009, 03:32 AM
In Manchester I saw the other day one where Netherfield had been taken, but by a mob of zombies. The same text as P&P, but updated to suit the zombie scare.

In the first scene Mr Bennet is cleaning his gun.
The book revolves around the attempt to wear them off.
I considered to buy it because you could get it free if you bought 2 other books, but we didn't buy any books of the 'buy 2 get one free'-series...

Then there was another one, I think it was called The Bingleys, where a nervous Mr Bingley goes to consult his friend Mr Darcy about the wedding night that will shortly take place. Mr Darcy shows him the Kama Sutra.

The first book I liked but the second I found a little too far, although I can picture Darcy a very broad-minded intelligent man, I can't picture him that broad-minded.

That of the zombies, though, I would have read, if I had been able to get it...

A friend of mine is reading it at the moment - he says its very funny, but he's never read the vanilla P&P.

Wilde woman
05-01-2009, 01:35 AM
Was it still set in the same era? It should have done well, it has the perfect formula for todays market, Vampires and P&P. How could you go wrong?

Yes, it actually was set in the same time period. I remember because some of the girls looked uncomfortable in their dresses....very tight bosoms and long flowing skirts. I'm not sure whether or not it took off, though I agree it has a formula (vampires, romance, parody) that seems particularly successful currently. Again, it was a very low budget production. There were perhaps only 30-40 people in the audience, and even then it was a tight fit. I remember that one of their "special effects" was a scene in which the Lydia, Kitty, and Mary had been transformed into vampires and come back to lure Lizzy to a similar fate. The way they made the girls seem to float was to dress them in luminous white dresses and black socks so that when they dimmed the lights, the audience could not see their feet. And it gave an eerie effect of levitation. So yes, you can how low-budget it was.

It honestly couldn't be any worse than Bride and Prejudice.

Hey! I saw that and thought it was cute. It wasn't great cinema, but it didn't pretend to be. It was nice for what it was...a cute little crossover from mainstream American cinema into Bollywood. And it landed a huge star in Aishwarya Rai. And I thought it was interesting they made Lizzy's characteristic energy come from her Indian culture.

dkthing2
08-09-2009, 09:58 PM
I actually have read one spin-off you talked about! I have read Mr. Darcy's Diary by Amanda Grange, I believe, and my friend and I have both read and absolutely love Pride and Prejudice and we think Mr. Darcy's Diary is amazing! It's an awesome spin-off! All it does is re-do Pride and Prejudice but this time it is from Mr. Darcy's point of view. I say you should read it!

Delta40
08-09-2009, 11:03 PM
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (2009) is a parody novel by Seth Grahame-Smith. It is a mashup story combining Jane Austen's classic 1813 novel Pride and Prejudice with elements of modern zombie fiction. Austen is credited as co-author of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. It was first published in April 2009 by Quirk Books.

Gladys
08-10-2009, 03:01 AM
It is a mashup story combining Jane Austen's classic 1813 novel Pride and Prejudice

I was surprised to learn yesterday that Pride and Prejudice was written in 1796!

littlelit
08-18-2009, 01:02 PM
I have read one too- it is called PEMBERLEY and is written by Emma Tennant. It begins with something like "It is a truth universally acknowledged that a married man in possession of a good fortune will be in want of a male heir...." (The quote isn't exact. i read it ages ago)
The Darcy-Lizzy equation is strangely twisted. She suspects him of having a child out of wedlock who later turns out to be Bingley's illegitimate child....
I wasn't expecting Austen's brilliance but i did not like it anyway.

Rebulah C.
09-18-2009, 10:00 PM
I have read quite a few of these sequels and there is one author that is much better than the rest: Linda Berdoll. I read two of her books Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife and Darcy & Elizabeth: Nights and Days at Pemberley and I loved them and highly recommend them.
Darcy is the hot god (Mr. Darcy, you naughty boy!) you want him to be and Lizzie's got the spunk you love her for.
The other sequels I have read (and I can go into them if you want, but I really don't want to bash these other books!) violate what you know to be true about the characters, for ex: they make Lizzie flighty and irresponsible.
But, even if they aren't the perfect match for what you expect for Darcy & Elizabeth's future, they are a nice, quick little reads, and bring you back to those characters you love.

Go ahead and give them a try!

darlingdev
09-19-2009, 04:29 AM

Thanks!

Hello!

I actually have read some of Mr Darcy Takes A Wife. Honestly, don't even waste your time on that book. It goes in a completely different direction than what a normal Austen fan would like to read, I guess. Personally I recommend any Pride and Prejudice sequels by Pamela Aidan. I've read her series and it was something I could get through. The second book was a little harder to get through, but overall I thought they were good sequels. Also, Mary Street wrote a nice rendition of P & P. It's more about the process of Darcy in P & P instead of after Elizabeth married him. Hope this helps!

Best wishes!

warm
09-19-2009, 05:49 AM
Ah, I didn't quite enjoy Mr Darcy Takes A Wife either. And to think I bought both titles Berdoll did for P&P! I never pictured Darcy and Elizabeth in such a way before, it was pretty disturbing for me when I read the first couple of chapters. :\

sciencefan
09-19-2009, 09:06 AM
I don't care for books that take too much license with the characters. After reading reviews on Amazon.com I bought DARCY'S STORY by Janet Aylmer. I liked it very well, if I recall.

warm
09-21-2009, 10:16 AM
Something interesting I found that might just be Austen's reaction to the spin-offs.
If Jane Austen had a laptop (http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2009/08/17/if_jane_austen_had_a_laptop/)