PDA

View Full Version : Brothers Karamazov: Theology/Philosophy

dbk04
04-12-2009, 10:08 PM
Hey all Brothers Karamazov readers, I read the Brothers Karamazov Novel, and i just want to ask:

Do you think the second half of the novel represents the lived experience of the theology/philosophy of the first half?

mayneverhave
05-01-2009, 02:26 PM
Yes, I do feel the long philosophical, character build up of the first half prepares us for the action of the second half.

The major shift is after the major Ivan sections of the Pro and Contra book. After "The Grand Inquisitor", which is the ultimate expression of Ivan's atheistic rationalism, we are immediately privy to the long digression on the life of Zossima. Perhaps Dostoevsky meant this section to be a direct, lived response to Ivan's detached take on life.

From the criticism of the novel I have read, however, many find Zossima's section to be very overdone and cliche of a religious tract to make it at all comparable in power to Ivan's section. This is perhaps why "The Grand Inquisitor" is so often printed as its own work in comparison to the life of Zossima. My take on the juxtaposition of these two sections is that they represent the duality in Dostoevsky, and his inability to properly mesh the rationalistic and religious aspects of his character into the book - which, in any other light would sound like a criticism of the book, but in this novel, those contradictory outlooks blend beautifully in this big, flawed novel.

bazarov
05-16-2009, 05:12 AM
Grand Inquisitor can be read without knowing anything else about TBK and it is brilliant so that's probably reason why it is printed as one work.

blazeofglory
10-28-2009, 04:10 AM
In point of fact all I feel about the book is it leaves lots of confusion, yet this book is not a messed and flawed book. He had knowingly and deliberately put this book to our debates. For this mystery depicted in the book never got solved and it indeed deserves great merits

TANSTAAFL2
03-18-2015, 11:26 PM
I'm left thinking....What about the sequels?,,,I know he ran out of time....But it would be great to read:
1. The breakout of Mitya
2. The travels of Alyosha
3. Homecoming: The Boys are Back in Town