PDA

View Full Version : Translation

Mugwump101
04-11-2009, 01:10 PM
I'm abashed to admit that I haven't read any of his books as of yet. I want to pick up some copies of his books but which translation should I get? Which one is the most accurate or well known?

Thanks!!

MissScarlett
04-11-2009, 01:26 PM
I swear by the Pevear and Volokhonsky translations of all the Russian authors. They retain more of the Russian flavor.

Mathor
04-12-2009, 12:35 PM
I'm siding with MissScarlett on this.

gruntingslime
05-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Anyone know how bad the Garnett translations are? I have The Double and The Gambler in Garnett translations. I liked The Double, but I didn't like The Gambler at all which I find slightly fishy since I love everything else I've read by Dostoevsky (and I've read almost everything)... Am I missing out on a lot if I only read the Garnett translations of these two? Particularly The Double since I do like this one quite a lot...

Shatov
05-14-2010, 05:50 AM
Anyone know how bad the Garnett translations are? I have The Double and The Gambler in Garnett translations. I liked The Double, but I didn't like The Gambler at all which I find slightly fishy since I love everything else I've read by Dostoevsky (and I've read almost everything)... Am I missing out on a lot if I only read the Garnett translations of these two? Particularly The Double since I do like this one quite a lot...

I don't think you're missing out that much by sticking to the Garnett translations. All the same, if you can find a $10 edition of The Double by Jessie Coulson or Pevear/Volokhonsky, I really think it's worth the upgrade. Garnett translated tons of works of the Great Russians, but she did so very quickly and rather recklessly in comparison to later translators.