PDA

View Full Version : A Lil Help With The Scarlet Letter

baseballmam3
04-07-2009, 08:36 PM
I have read the book !! but I just read it for the first time and I am 32 years old and have not been in school for over 14 years so I am having trouble with a few questions I had 90 something questions for the whole book but I am down to like 5 questions that I really don't get I don't want an answer I want someone to tell me to go back and re read a certain line and try to explain it to me Please!! 1. Give two examples of how Pearl is the scarlet letter personified? is this saying because she was a love child made through adultry?and is a repressentation of the sin?
2. How is Pearl a symbol of her mothers warring spirit? Is this saying she is a living embodiment of her mothers sin? I am really struggling with this and feel really stupid to have to ask for help. Thanx for any help in advance...

privatehelmet
10-02-2009, 12:24 PM
I can't give the exact line b/c I don't have the book with me, but Hester dressed Pearl in 'scarlet' with 'gold' thread, which made her physically look like the scarlet letter.

Also, Pearl was always with Hester as she walked around the town. Pearl was an obvious attachment to the mother that none of the townspeople could miss. Because Pearl is the proof that the adultry took place, her existance is as much as symbol of shame as the scarlet letter. In this way Pearl and the letter are the same.