PDA

View Full Version : Cardinal virtues - where does honesty stand

Sapphire
04-06-2009, 11:36 AM
I stumbled upon this quote:
Every one suspects himself of at leas tone of the cardinal virtues, and this is mine: I am one of the few honest people that I have ever known
I wonder whether this is really the case, and decided to check those virtues out.

The cardinal virtues according to WIKI are:
* Prudence - able to judge between actions with regard to appropriate actions at a given time
* Justice - proper moderation between the self-interest and the rights and needs of others
* Restraint or Temperance - practicing self-control, abstention, and moderation
* Courage or Fortitude - forbearance, endurance, and ability to confront fear and uncertainty, or intimidation
But I can not place honesty within those :brickwall I know wiki is not the answer to everything, but other pages do mention these 4 words over and over.

Also, I have this idea in my head that there are 7 virtues, just as there are 7 sins ...

Any help would be appreciated :)

apyoung6060
05-28-2009, 07:51 PM
Perhaps "cardinal" is to be taken more generally; i.e., a "cardinal" rule of tennis is to keep your eye on the ball.

Iguanarwhal
03-21-2010, 04:46 PM
You're certainly right about there being seven virtues to correspond with the seven deadly sins. I recall learning this back in middle school when, in religion class, they taught us about this. I don't remember what the virtues were, but they definitely do exist.

kelby_lake
11-18-2010, 07:02 AM
You're certainly right about there being seven virtues to correspond with the seven deadly sins. I recall learning this back in middle school when, in religion class, they taught us about this. I don't remember what the virtues were, but they definitely do exist.

Yep. I did have them written down somewhere- I think they're mainly the opposites of the cardinal sins.

Steelkage
10-11-2012, 10:59 PM
"The Great Gatsby"