PDA

View Full Version : elements of sense and sensibility in 'Emma'

selsabil
04-03-2009, 06:25 PM
hi everybody :)I hope you are fine.
So, I've a research paper on Jane Austen's great novel Emma , and its about the elements of sense and sensibility in it. At first I thought it a hard thing but after I've read some comments I began somehow to understand what I am asked for:idea:. So I'm going to give you what I've understood, and I'm just asking you to correct and guide me or you also may pay my attention to something.
So her is my opinion:
the relationship between Jane and Frank Churchill: as we know they were engaged secretly and for months (they were guided by their sensebility) and therfore this love was going to fall apart until Frank told his grandfather and Mr Weston , in other words returning to society(sense) that this love was saved .
Emma's attempts to choose a good husband for poor Harriet throughout the novel failed because she was following her emotions and feelings (her sensibility) , and at the end Harriet married Mr Martin according to the social class (sense).
So, I'm waiting for your replies and thanks .:)

Virgil
04-06-2009, 05:20 PM
Selsabil, my recollection of Emma is not sharp but from what I remember I think you've got the gist of it correct if I understand you. There is a balance that Austen is advocating between sense and sensibility, and the examples you give push one extreme and so fail. I hope this helps. Welcome to lit net by the way. :)