PDA

View Full Version : Hamlet

lulunjue
04-02-2009, 06:36 AM
When Hamlet is confronting Ophelia near the mirror, does Hamlet know that Claudius and Polonius are behind the door?

Homers_child
04-02-2009, 06:44 PM
I would assume you are referring to the Kenneth Branagh (sp?) movie version? For that is the only time I've seen that scene played like that.

But in the movie, he is supposed to know they are behind there, I think. But in the play itself its up to interpretation.

"Where is your father?" It shows he is suspicious and then he crazily starts opening the mirror doors. I think we can assume that he has at least a suspicion that he is there.

mayneverhave
04-03-2009, 12:19 AM
I've wasted many a thought considering this exact problem, and have come to two different conclusions.

Unless of course, you mean simply whether Hamlet's tyraid against Ophelia was inspired by his knowledge of Polonius and Claudius, or not. I'm not sure. I'm wondering, overall, about whether Hamlet was aware of their presence throughout the whole "To be, or not to be" soliloquy. It would not be much of a stretch to think that Hamlet (given his crafty nature and his understanding of the court) would recognize if someone is eavesdropping on him.

For one, this is the only soliloquy which does not refer directly to any of the events of the play. Whereas all of the other speeches refer to either his disgust at his mother or his father's murder/death, this one deals highly in abstract, broad subjects that (although relatable to his situation) are not the direct product of his relationship with the other characters, i.e. he reveals nothing potentially damaging to his plans. This would lead me to believe that this is because he is aware that he is being watched.

On the other hand, this seems to take away a bit from the soliloquy, as, if he is aware of being watched, perhaps his speech is not arising truthfully from Hamlet, but is just a front. I find this unacceptable to the character's nature and the nature of the speech, so perhaps we should write it off as merely a coincidence.

Janine
04-03-2009, 12:41 AM
I've wasted many a thought considering this exact problem, and have come to two different conclusions.

Unless of course, you mean simply whether Hamlet's tyraid against Ophelia was inspired by his knowledge of Polonius and Claudius, or not. I'm not sure. I'm wondering, overall, about whether Hamlet was aware of their presence throughout the whole "To be, or not to be" soliloquy. It would not be much of a stretch to think that Hamlet (given his crafty nature and his understanding of the court) would recognize if someone is eavesdropping on him.

For one, this is the only soliloquy which does not refer directly to any of the events of the play. Whereas all of the other speeches refer to either his disgust at his mother or his father's murder/death, this one deals highly in abstract, broad subjects that (although relatable to his situation) are not the direct product of his relationship with the other characters, i.e. he reveals nothing potentially damaging to his plans. This would lead me to believe that this is because he is aware that he is being watched.

On the other hand, this seems to take away a bit from the soliloquy, as, if he is aware of being watched, perhaps his speech is not arising truthfully from Hamlet, but is just a front. I find this unacceptable to the character's nature and the nature of the speech, so perhaps we should write it off as merely a coincidence.

Interesting theory mayneverhave, but I don't think he is knows at that point, that he is being observed by Polonius and his uncle. I think he is so honest and reflective inwardly in this scene, that we can believe he does think himself alone and solitary. Then right after the "to be or not to be" soliloquy he confronts Ophelia. If you observe the lines this part is very particular and precise in meaning. At one moment, he hears something and asks her where her father is. She replies 'at home', but he does not believe her and then switches from a short and tender moment with Ophelia to one of great anquish and anger; he exclaims "Let him play the fool in no place, but his own home." I think I quoted that right, if not it is close enough. Now Hamlet is no fool, nor is he dumb; on the contrary Hamlet is brilliant and surely he knows that Polonius would be plotting with the King to spy on Hamlet; therefore, I do believe he is aware they are hiding behind the mirror or the curtain, whatever or however, it is interpreted in the play.

mayneverhave
04-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Interesting theory mayneverhave, but I don't think he is knows at that point, that he is being observed by Polonius and his uncle. I think he is so honest and reflective inwardly in this scene, that we can believe he does think himself alone and solitary. Then right after the "to be or not to be" soliloquy he confronts Ophelia. If you observe the lines this part is very particular and precise in meaning. At one moment, he hears something and asks her where her father is. She replies 'at home', but he does not believe her and then switches from a short and tender moment with Ophelia to one of great anquish and anger; he exclaims "Let him play the fool in no place, but his own home." I think I quoted that right, if not it is close enough. Now Hamlet is no fool, nor is he dumb; on the contrary Hamlet is brilliant and surely he knows that Polonius would be plotting with the King to spy on Hamlet; therefore, I do believe he is aware they are hiding behind the mirror or the curtain, whatever or however, it is interpreted in the play.

So you would write off the abstract flavor of his famous soliloquy as coincidental, as I am contending? I understand, and agree, that the soliloquy is an outward overflow of his naturally reflective consciousness, but it just so happens that in this soliloquy (the one in which he is being watched), he does not mention any specifics. Quite a different thing if we have Polonius and Claudius observing his second soliloquy in which he shouts of his father's murder and resolves to "catch the conscience of the king" - as opposed to Hamlet's ramblings (as poignant as they are) on the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.

As for whether he is aware of his being watched during the Ophelia tyraid - it can be played either way. If he is unaware, this is the only on-stage moment we have in which Hamlet can be alone with Ophelia. If he is aware, his outburst is, in at least some part, an act.

Homers_child
04-04-2009, 09:30 PM
My opinion is that Hamlet didn't know that Polonius and Claudius were there when he did his soliloquy. It wouldn't fit with the act he was putting on for them. His speech was very clear in meaning and ponderous, quite different from his witty and random outbursts he was putting on throughout the play to further give evidence of his 'madness'. I think it was true Hamlet speaking until he had suspicion of being watched after Ophelia entered.

I mean, we will never know but I highly doubt he knew they were there while giving the soliloquy.

mayneverhave
04-07-2009, 02:58 AM
My opinion is that Hamlet didn't know that Polonius and Claudius were there when he did his soliloquy. It wouldn't fit with the act he was putting on for them. His speech was very clear in meaning and ponderous, quite different from his witty and random outbursts he was putting on throughout the play to further give evidence of his 'madness'. I think it was true Hamlet speaking until he had suspicion of being watched after Ophelia entered.

I mean, we will never know but I highly doubt he knew they were there while giving the soliloquy.

Of course we can "never know", even if Shakespeare were alive today and was able to say: "Yes, I intended that", we wouldn't necessarily have to put all our faith into it.

I agree, the Act 3, Scene 1 soliloquy is in keeping with Hamlet's ponderous character - different than his witty outbursts - but those "witty outbursts" are made in public. What of the other 3 soliloquies which are quite explicit in their damning of Claudius and his father killed? They are undoubtedly "true Hamlet" as well (if we can ever comprehend what "true Hamlet" is), but are quite more explicit than anything we find in the Act 3, Scene 1 soliloquy?

I ask again, then: mere coincidence that in the soliloquy in which he happens to be overheard by other characters, he doesn't mention anything potentially damaging to his plan? As I said before, it would be quite a different story if Claudius was watching him in the Act 2 soliloquy, hearing him speak of a "dear father murdered". Also, in describing the Act 3 soliloquy, I did not mean abstract to mean unclear or not concise. Its meaning is clear (at least as far as Hamlet goes), but it lacks explicit detail relating to the matter of the play. I therefore conclude that Hamlet caught a lucky break - or he was aware the entire time.

feis
11-21-2009, 03:09 PM
personally i think he knew that they were watching the whole time! if Polonius didn't want Ophelia to see him why would she be there?! they both want to know what is driving Hamlet mad! i am 10th grade in high school, so i may not be correct! but i think Ophelia being there is a big clue!

kelby_lake
11-22-2009, 01:46 PM
That is a point. Polonius does say 'I hear him coming; let's withdraw my lord', which sounds like they are spying on him. And Claudius does say to Gertrude that he's going to watch Ophelia and Hamlet together.

However I don't think many directors would choose to show Polonius and Claudius watching as it distracts from the content of Hamlet's monologue. If you wanted to give more sympathy to Claudius, I suppose you might make the decision to have Claudius hear the soliloquy, but it all depends on the performance. The play's the thing!

xman
11-24-2009, 05:22 AM
That is a point. Polonius does say 'I hear him coming; let's withdraw my lord', which sounds like they are spying on him. And Claudius does say to Gertrude that he's going to watch Ophelia and Hamlet together.
Indeed, and earlier in that same scene:

LORD POLONIUS
Ophelia, walk you here. Gracious, so please you,
We will bestow ourselves.
'Tis too much proved--that with devotion's visage
And pious action we do sugar o'er
The devil himself.

However I don't think many directors would choose to show Polonius and Claudius watching as it distracts from the content of Hamlet's monologue. If you wanted to give more sympathy to Claudius, I suppose you might make the decision to have Claudius hear the soliloquy, but it all depends on the performance. The play's the thing!
It is common simply to show them obviously hiding. Then it doesn't distract from the scene, but still informs their world.

neilgee
11-24-2009, 06:20 AM
I've seen a production where there is a cough behind the arras just before Hamlet asks about Ophelia's father [or does he ask "Are you honest?" It's a while since I read the text and I don't have it to hand, sorry]; another where something is dropped. The point is that Hamlet's tone changes at that point in the text and that's why it's become an accepted theatrical convention that he hears something to cause the change of mood, although there's nothing in the text to specify that this happens.

Mayneverhave you almost convinced me with your first post until you dismiss your own argument. It's always refreshing to read ideas that I've never come across before.:thumbs_up

kelby_lake
11-24-2009, 03:15 PM
Thing about Hamlet is as a director and actor you are required to look beyond the text. For example, the Olivier film. There isn't anything in the text to suggest an Oedipus complex but you can just about accept the interpretation in Olivier's film.

billwic
12-14-2009, 04:52 PM
Hamlet probably believes he is being spied upon when he meets Ophelia in the lobby.
At this point, Hamlet is very suspicious. Rosencrantz and Guildernstern, who have just arrived, have admitted to him that they were sent for.(2.2.287-293). He concludes it was to spy on him and he is very careful not to reveal anything to them. (3.1.1-9). He does not trust them. (3.2.351-359; 3.4.201-202).
Hamlet did not appear in the lobby by chance. Claudius says he sent for Hamlet to "affront" Ophelia as if by accident. (3.1.29-31). When Hamlet arrives, he does not find Claudius, but finds Ophila waiting for him, who up to this point has rejected his letters and has refused to see him. (2.1.105-107). She immediately offers to return to him "remembrances" that he gave to her.
(3.1.93-95). Hamlet must have realized that she knew that he would be there, and brought the things, and that this was a trap. He would therefore probably suspect that he was being spied upon and would act accordingly.