PDA

View Full Version : For those that believe in a Supreme Being

papayahed
04-05-2005, 01:24 PM
How do you envision your Supreme Being (Sounds akward but I'm trying not to put my spin into it)?

chispa
04-05-2005, 09:47 PM
I do not envision at all........I think it is a kind of peaceful feeling....

Stanislaw
04-06-2005, 12:17 AM
Well I would imagine that God would look like man, since the bibal states that we are made in his image.

baddad
04-06-2005, 01:15 AM
The whole is the one. Everything is connected. OOps!! I guess that eliminates a figurehead..... unless the whole is metaphorically the 'One'..........I'll shutup now.....

Miss Darcy
04-06-2005, 01:51 AM
Has anybody here heard of Gaia? :D

crisaor
04-06-2005, 09:22 AM
How do you envision your Supreme Being
As the hilarious one says: perfect teeth, great smell, classy from head to feet. :D

papayahed
04-06-2005, 10:40 AM
In my catholic grade school days I used to picture the big guy as a white male with long white hair and a long white beard.

Stanislaw
04-06-2005, 11:04 AM
yeah, a kind of Zeus type person.

baddad
04-07-2005, 01:18 AM
Wow!! God is a male?

Yeah, In my culture here in Canada most images or icons of Jesus show him to be a white, occidental, with the hippie length straight hair (always blonde), physically fit, perfect posture, blue or green eyes, and a nicely trimmed beard.

The truth of course is that the philosopher Jesus was born in the middle east. So I think it unlikely that he had any but an olive skinned complexion(certainly not white) dark hair, dark eyes, etc, as most people from that region of the world would be expected to mirror physical attributes common in that area. But selling a dark skinned man as a savior probably invited a myriad of image problems, so the spin doctors decided to make him white so he would sell in northern Europe, and later America. Heck, as children, even our school books reflected this occidental propaganda.....probably still do.... you'd think that religions would be in favour of truth..........but it probably doesn't sell well......

Scheherazade
04-07-2005, 02:34 AM
Wow!! God is a male?
Remembered these bumper stickers:
'When God created men, she was only joking.'
'When God created men, she was only practising.'

you'd think that religions would be in favour of truth..........
This made me laugh so much... Not sure why!

Stanislaw
04-07-2005, 10:25 AM
At my church, the statues show Jesus as slightly darker, with a medium, trimmed beard and black almost wavy hair.

but perhaps that is just Edmonton.

Wow!! God is a male?

Yeah, In my culture here in Canada most images or icons of Jesus show him to be a white, occidental, with the hippie length straight hair (always blonde), physically fit, perfect posture, blue or green eyes, and a nicely trimmed beard.

The truth of course is that the philosopher Jesus was born in the middle east. So I think it unlikely that he had any but an olive skinned complexion(certainly not white) dark hair, dark eyes, etc, as most people from that region of the world would be expected to mirror physical attributes common in that area. But selling a dark skinned man as a savior probably invited a myriad of image problems, so the spin doctors decided to make him white so he would sell in northern Europe, and later America. Heck, as children, even our school books reflected this occidental propaganda.....probably still do.... you'd think that religions would be in favour of truth..........but it probably doesn't sell well......

Molko
04-08-2005, 05:33 AM
I cant seem to envision what god looks like - to me, he is perfect, and no amount of human comprehension can envision that ...

Sorry, I'm not very articulate at expressing my thoughts :p

papayahed
04-08-2005, 02:38 PM
you'd think that religions would be in favour of truth......

What the heck does truth have to do with anything? ;)

IWilKikU
04-11-2005, 03:53 PM
In Vonnegut's book Mother Night there's an arian neo-nazi guy who wrote a book called 'Jesus is not Jew'. He was also a dentist and proved in his book that indeed Jesus wasn't a Jew by comparing over 200 famous paintings of Jesus with Jewish Jawlines and none of them matched up :lol:.

I like the image of God on the Y2K episode of Southpark when he appears at Jesus's year 2000 Rod Stewart come-back special.
UNCLE JIMBO: That's God!?!?
GOD: Yes my son, what did you expect me to look like?
UNCLE JIMBO: Well not like That!!!

hehe

Rumi_Shams_One
04-19-2005, 10:40 AM
If you give Him any form know that He is not that, what ever come in your mind know that He is not that, He is every thing and everywhere, if you look very carefully at every thing, you will see that this universe doesnt' have end neither outsite, how could something have no outside if inside exist? if you want to find Him and know how He look like then search within yourself, do not look out, look inside

imthefoolonthehill
08-03-2005, 09:50 AM
Have you guys seen the "American Dad" cartoon, where there is a calandar of God, dressed in speedos?

aberration
08-03-2005, 08:04 PM
or the episode of 'family guy' where god is picking up girls at the bowling alley and the bar...and the episode where jesus turns water into funk....classic, the only thing worth watching on television

Ancestor
08-03-2005, 09:11 PM
How do you envision your Supreme Being (Sounds akward but I'm trying not to put my spin into it)?
Well as a spiritualist that is one interesting question because for myself I do not place a gender upon Great Spirit (God). I feel that my higher is pure beautiful energy and that gender is not necessarily required. But then again back in Salam Massachusetts they burned people at the sake for thinking along the same way as I do. Point is I really won't know for sure until we meet on the other side. :)

Jantex
08-08-2005, 04:58 PM
Actually, God(s) did not create the men.
It`s the men who created Gods.
People think God is a kind of an human looking guy,old,maybe with beard or with glasses :cool: People ordinarily think that we`re perfect because we are on the top of the nature evolution as creatures and that`s why Gods(who are perfect,according to people) must have the same look as we do or vice verse(we were created by creatures like as)...
If shoes have their own god ,it`ll be a big shoe.For bananas-a big banana ,maybe. :banana:
My little fish in the aquarium may think that God is a kind of a finger who drops food to them twice a day. :nod:

Ancestor
08-09-2005, 04:08 AM
Actually, God(s) did not create the men.
It`s the men who created Gods.
People think God is a kind of an human looking guy,old,maybe with beard or with glasses :cool: People ordinarily think that we`re perfect because we are on the top of the nature evolution as creatures and that`s why Gods(who are perfect,according to people) must have the same look as we do or vice verse(we were created by creatures like as)...
If shoes have their own god ,it`ll be a big shoe.For bananas-a big banana ,maybe. :banana:
My little fish in the aquarium may think that God is a kind of a finger who drops food to them twice a day. :nod:

Actually I never did think that God looked like that but more of pure energy form. I think we humans cannot fathom what a higher being my look like and we should not place our limitations on the Great Spirit anyway. I for one am far from perfect and I like it that way just fine. :)

AimusSage
08-09-2005, 01:30 PM
A god would look exactly as YOU would envision a god.

A supreme being isn't necessarely a god, and a god does not have to be a supreme being.

Jantex
08-16-2005, 03:55 PM
Actually I never did think that God looked like that but more of pure energy form. I think we humans cannot fathom what a higher being my look like and we should not place our limitations on the Great Spirit anyway. I for one am far from perfect and I like it that way just fine. :)
I cannot grasp why you call energy a being.?

Ancestor
08-16-2005, 05:25 PM
I cannot grasp why you call energy a being.?

Because I feel energy from people all the time from living and deceased. Sounds crazy, I know but I have had a few experience's where I knew about a person's illness before they told me or even before the doctor found it. I even feel my own energy sometimes and I do not expect you to believe me which is fine. I just know it is not in my imagination or something evil taken over my body. It is a gift I have and accepted as a part of my being. :)

Dyrwen
08-16-2005, 06:02 PM
Long as you classify that energy as a supernatural effect rather than the energy which can be measured and understood through physics, I don't think I'll ever mind you feeling that about other folks, heh. Seems more often than not nowadays folks choose to feel their deity looks like a nebula or somesuch object, rather than how people used to see gods as just tall people.

(Just have a personal problem with new agers I see trying to call their energies the same as the different types produced by naturally occurring bodies which are most definitely not conscious beings, for those wondering what I'm implying above.)

Ancestor
08-16-2005, 07:52 PM
First time I have been called a new ager and in same ways I guess I am but in others I really old fashioned. Actually I would love to see the energy I feel on a thermal camera out of curiousity. In fact I would not mind if science could be use to prove or disprove human energy. I rather like having science back me up or even prove me wrong. There is always room for right and wrong in my life and I rather been proven wrong especially if I am so. But when you know that you sister will lose her leg before she is taken two days later into the ER and a doctor has taken a look at you tend to believe. Not a fun thing to go through when you are barely 23 years old or at any age. That is one of my experiences I have had in my life and many more will come. I wonder sometimes if we truly can tell what is real or just in our minds eye.

America141
08-17-2005, 04:02 PM
I don't think God looks like anything we "know" because in the Bible no one could behold Him so it would seem that whatever God looks like it is beyond us...However I once had a professor who was short, fat, balding and without a doubt seemed to know everything about everything....so I like to think that if God ever wanted to be human looking he would like like my professor

Adelheid
08-30-2005, 03:02 AM
Well I would imagine that God would look like man, since the bibal states that we are made in his image.

Goodness! I wouldn't say He looks like a man!!! Does a spirit look like a man? Man looks like him, but not the other way round- I guess you'll figure that out for yourselves IF you reach heaven.

Man has a limited brain. It is useless to try and find out mysteries which God chooses not to reveal YET.... but we shall know. The Bible does give some descriptions of Him though. Check out the book of Revelations in the Bible- easy to find, it's the last one. ;) It has plenty of descriptions there ready for you to find out. If only you'd care enough to read it.

He is brighter than the Sun. That is bright alright! He is 3 in one. He is a spirit, He is a bridegroom to the church of Christ. Find them out in the Bible.

mono
08-30-2005, 04:49 PM
Goodness! I wouldn't say He looks like a man!!! Does a spirit look like a man? Man looks like him, but not the other way round- I guess you'll figure that out for yourselves IF you reach heaven.

Man has a limited brain. It is useless to try and find out mysteries which God chooses not to reveal YET.... but we shall know. The Bible does give some descriptions of Him though. Check out the book of Revelations in the Bible- easy to find, it's the last one. It has plenty of descriptions there ready for you to find out. If only you'd care enough to read it.

He is brighter than the Sun. That is bright alright! He is 3 in one. He is a spirit, He is a bridegroom to the church of Christ. Find them out in the Bible.
This reminds me of one of the most incredible philosophical books I have ever read, The Nature Of The Gods by Cicero.
The whole short book consists of three conversations over three days between a Stoic, an Epicurean, and what one could consider a more free-thinker, without labels. They discussed much of the attributes, if any, of a Supreme Being. If indeed some Supreme Being (God, Allah, Yahweh, etc.) created plants, humankind, and other animals, does that imply that He/She/It created its own attributes also?
Even if the Supreme Being gained inspiration in appearance from Itself, would someone/something infinite necessarily need viable organs, hands, legs, a brain, lungs, etc.? All organs (muscle, brain, heart, lungs, liver, kidneys, etc.) require oxygen for survival, yet if a Supreme Being created oxygen, along with every other element needed in body tissue (sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium, hydrogen, etc.), this implies that a Supreme and Infinite Being consists of material, which, including atoms, has an age and degenerates. Placing boundaries on having human-like organs, I believe, also implies that every part of a Supreme Being has sections in anatomy, which contradicts any imaginable concept of infinity.
Of course, I have no intention of offending anyone's faith or logic, and, if so, I apologize in advance, yet I think this topic seems worth consideration.

Pendragon
08-30-2005, 06:38 PM
Why ask me what God is like? God is a spirit, everywhere and no where at once. Do you imagine that I could describe such a being in mere words? It's like describing color to one deprived of sight or sound to one who cannot hear. Words won't do it.

Adelheid
08-31-2005, 04:28 AM
Mono,

God is God. otherwise why call Him one? To say that he has sections in anatomy would be limiting Him. He is a spirit. Human mind cannot conceive it yet, and perhaps never shall on earth. One must find out in Heaven, like I said before.

That is my opinion, anyway.