PDA

View Full Version : the original version

Arianrhod
03-29-2009, 10:07 AM
While surfng in the internet I found out that a book named "war and peace: original version" was published with several plot changes. I immediatelly ordered it and now I am waiting for it to come (I live in Greece so it will take around a week in order to have it in my hands). I read 'War and Peace" 6 years ago and now I am quite surprised to learn that my favourite character, Prince Andrey, actually lived at the first draft. Could someone who has read this 'original version' tell me some other changes and why Tolstoy chooses this end for the prince...?

Tukkanen
06-08-2009, 09:31 AM
I have heard somewhere that a special USA adopted version of W&P exists. It is two times thinner and without French parts. :)

nmstu
06-24-2009, 12:08 PM
I suppose that Prince Andrei has to die in order for Pierre to end up with Natasha...just from a "plot device" point of view. Also, it is a war so people die and it would be unrealistic for all the major characters to live. Also, perhaps Tolstoy is telling us something by having the character who most represents himself and his views (Pierre) stay alive and end up with the girl...?

cidkid
08-01-2009, 06:07 AM
I JUST finished reading the very book you're talking about, although I can't draw any comparison for you because it's my first ever reading of any War & Peace version. Andrei definitely doesn't die, but I actually made my way to this site curious about the other versions, because it felt like this one ended somewhat abruptly, there are alot of characters without resolution. Now that I look at the main War & Peace page I see why; War & Peace, The Original Version concludes with Part Seven. In the introduction of the book it explains that it's being ended on the only manuscript page to actually contain the word "Konets", or "The End", and the very end of Part Seven concludes with an asterisk seperator, but not a new chapter, on two very short paragraphs that I suppose lend to tie the story up. I'm a little frustrated about this, and realizing now that I'm going to need to read what the introduction calls "the Classical text" version, even though I am pretty sad, I'll admit, to be learning in this thread that apparently Bolkonsky isn't going to make it, but I'm sad for him, definitely not Natasha, not after the Fifth and Sixth Parts.. but anyhow.. like I said, I enjoyed it incredibly, can't give you a real comparison, but you might find the ending a little rushed and frustrating like I did.