PDA

View Full Version : Anime, anybody?

1n50mn14
03-29-2009, 09:41 AM
I never used to be a big fan of anime, either series or films, until quite recently. Many have an amazing, intriguing art style, complex plots, loveable, memorable characters, and a style of humour not found anywhere else (including hillarious subtitle mis-translations).

I'm curious to know if anybody else here is a fan, or has even watched some, and to point out some of my favorites:

Azumanga Daoih
(HILLARIOUS! Not really >about< anything in particular, but every episode has it's laughs, even if they're just 'What... the hell?' laughs. The theme song alone is enough to bring forth chuckles, and we tend to become very involved with the characters, particularily Miss Sakaki (at least, myself...)

Trigun
(COMPLEX. The art style is FANTASTIC and, as far as I'm concerned, unmatched. The main character, Vash the Stampede, is revealed to be a much deeper character than we first assumed, and the plot takes unexpected twists and turns. My MOM loves this one, and we watched the entire series in three days. Has more than it's share of laughter.)

Hellsing

Paprika

Millenium Actress

Tekkonkinkreet

Niamh
03-29-2009, 09:51 AM
In the last couple of years i've really gotten into the Studio Ghibli movies. They are expensive to buy so i dont get one very often but theses are the ones i've seen

Howls Moving Castle
Spirited Away
Tales from Earthsea
Whisper of the Heart
The Cat Returns
Princess Mononoke.

I've a load more on my Amazon wish list that i need to get.
I hated Pokemon. :sick:
But i enjoyed Cardcapters. :D

Annabelle
03-29-2009, 10:19 AM
I have watched Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke recently, and thinking to watch again. Especially some scenes are cryptic and paradoxical. I really enjoyed. I recommend Princess Mononoke to watch firstly.

Niamh
03-29-2009, 10:21 AM
Oh yeah probably a good time to point out that Whisper of the Heart should be watched before the Cat Returns...

weltanschauung
03-29-2009, 11:24 AM
spirited away and howls moving castle are awesome, theyre also on google video, along with nausicaa of the valley of the wind. i never found Tekkonkinkreet but i have the soundtrack, its pretty good.

howls moving castle (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8604596739848246425)

spirited away (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6911768548239675116)

nausicaa of the valley of the wind (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8704790173215648057)

TheFifthElement
03-29-2009, 12:44 PM
Add me to the list of Hayao Miyazaki fans. Watched Spirited Away for the umpteenth time last night. Love Mononoke, Howls Moving Castle, My Neighbour Totoro (but not Pom Poko, Pom Poko was :sick:). Also a fan of Astroboy, but not seen really any of the other anime series as they don't show them on British TV, sadly (well, except for a little of Ghost in the Shell which was pretty cool too.).

weltanschauung
03-29-2009, 01:26 PM
ive never seen ghost in the shell, but i have this U2 soundtrack (passengers) in which they made one song for that movie, and its so good, although i've completely despised u2 since pop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll2lEGwLRFU

Gustavo L.
03-29-2009, 08:04 PM
Yeah, I’m a fan! From studio Ghibli I’ve seen Nausicaa, Princess Mononoke, and Spirited Away. Here are some other favorites of mine:

Voices of a distant star
Humanity is at war against an Alien race and Mikako, Noboru’s girlfrend, is sent to the space to fight the foes. The couple communicates by e-mail. As she travels further into the space, time passes differently to them (he aging faster), and messages take more time to reach their destiny. Days at first, then weeks, then months, then years…
It breaks my heart every time I watch it.

Angel’s Egg
The strangest and the most visually stunning anime I’ve ever seen. It hasn’t much of a story, actually: it’s more like a visual equivalent of a lyrical poem. By the director of the original Ghost in the Shell anime.

Magnetic Rose.
It’s the first of three stories comprised in an anime called “Memories”. I don’t care much about the other two, but this one is brilliant. A ghost spaceship, a tragic opera singer and a Puccini’s aria in a dark fairy tale.
[and I just noticed that someone put the full anime in youtube :D]

Anime Series:

Cowboy Bebop (26 episodes)
Have seen this one countless times. The story is set in 2071, with space travels and all, but this is not the standard sci-fi world. It’s a retro and stylish future, where cowboys duel at the sunset and fugitive criminals play jazz at smoky bars. Fun, tragic and beautiful.

The Vision of Escaflowne ( 26 ep)
My favorite Fantasy anime. Romantic, compelling and visually amazing. Pretty violent sometimes, though. The soundtrack, by Yoko Kanno (who composed Cowboy Bebop’s soundtrack), is gorgeous.

Neon Genesis Evangelion (26 ep)
Three 14-year pilots try to prevent God’s angels from destroying humanity. It’s pretty confusing/obscure sometimes, but highly addictive and beautifully crafted nevertheless.

1n50mn14
03-29-2009, 08:07 PM
Cowboy Bebop is fantastic! One of my favourites xD!

alestar89
03-29-2009, 09:22 PM
Miyasaki! <3

The Girl Who Lept Through Time

Sword of the Stranger

Escaflowne, Ranma 1/2, Azumanga Daioh, Cowboy Bebop, Cardcaptor Sakura... the list is extensive :D

Gustavo L.
03-29-2009, 09:36 PM
My brother highly praised Trigun, BeccaT. I’ll watch it as soon as I can. :)

For those with Gothic tastes, I recommend Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. I’ve rarely seen an anime so finely drawn.

I haven’t seen the Death Note anime, but I heard that it follows the homonymous manga (comic book) closely, and the manga is amazing. It's about a guy who finds a Death Note - a supernatural notebook lost by a death god, which grants its owner the power of killing people just by writting their names in the book.

**Edit: how could I forget this one? Wolf’s Rain, about Werewolves in a fantasy/post-apocalyptic Russia! Amazing visuals (inspired by art-nouveau) and captivating storyline. Written by Keiko Nobumoto, from Cowboy Bebop.

kratsayra
04-02-2009, 11:02 PM
No one else into Fullmetal Alchemist? I don't really watch that much anime (aside from a late-90s obsession with Sailor Moon, to which many fell victim!, and of course the occasional film), but I totally got into this series.

kaymf
04-03-2009, 07:43 PM
I don't really watch anime that much. Death Note is my favorite out of the few series I have seen. I also like Fruits Basket, but it was a much better manga. And then I have a few I watch occasionally, like Full Metal Alchemist, Inuyasha, and Naruto.

crystalmoonshin
04-05-2009, 03:31 AM
I never used to be a big fan of anime, either series or films, until quite recently. Many have an amazing, intriguing art style, complex plots, loveable, memorable characters, and a style of humour not found anywhere else (including hillarious subtitle mis-translations).

I'm curious to know if anybody else here is a fan, or has even watched some, and to point out some of my favorites:

Azumanga Daoih
(HILLARIOUS! Not really >about< anything in particular, but every episode has it's laughs, even if they're just 'What... the hell?' laughs. The theme song alone is enough to bring forth chuckles, and we tend to become very involved with the characters, particularily Miss Sakaki (at least, myself...)

Trigun
(COMPLEX. The art style is FANTASTIC and, as far as I'm concerned, unmatched. The main character, Vash the Stampede, is revealed to be a much deeper character than we first assumed, and the plot takes unexpected twists and turns. My MOM loves this one, and we watched the entire series in three days. Has more than it's share of laughter.)

Hellsing

Paprika

Millenium Actress

Tekkonkinkreet

I've been an otaku (anime fan) for as long as I can remember. I'm into fantasy, adventure, paranormal and gothic anime. Have you watched hellsing OAV? The story's pretty much the same as the anime series but bloodier.

In the last couple of years i've really gotten into the Studio Ghibli movies. They are expensive to buy so i dont get one very often but theses are the ones i've seen

Howls Moving Castle
Spirited Away
Tales from Earthsea
Whisper of the Heart
The Cat Returns
Princess Mononoke.

I've a load more on my Amazon wish list that i need to get.
I hated Pokemon. :sick:
But i enjoyed Cardcapters. :D

I'm not into Studio Ghibli though one of the best anime movie would have to be 'Spirited Away". I love Pokemon, they're adorable!

No one else into Fullmetal Alchemist? I don't really watch that much anime (aside from a late-90s obsession with Sailor Moon, to which many fell victim!, and of course the occasional film), but I totally got into this series.

FMA is one good philosophical anime. HAve you watched the movie? There's a second season coming out, BTW.

I don't really watch anime that much. Death Note is my favorite out of the few series I have seen. I also like Fruits Basket, but it was a much better manga. And then I have a few I watch occasionally, like Full Metal Alchemist, Inuyasha, and Naruto.

I don't like Inu Yasha. Try JekanBlazer, his avatar once was Shippo the fox. I'm more into One Piece than Naruto. :)

I only read the manga of Death Note. Didn't bother to watch the anime since I know my fave character's gonna die anyway.

a_little_wisp
04-05-2009, 05:37 AM
I have been watching anime since I was a wee, wee lass. I do go to conventions, I cosplay, I spend obscene amounts of money in the dealer's room - it is a BLAST. I do tend to go more for the gaming (I've cosplayed as more characters from games than anime). Some people are a leeettle overboard at those conventions, but it's all worth it. I couldn't possibly name all of the ones I've seen, but it started off:

Sailor Moon (naturally)
DBZ (my brother snagged me into it)
Gundam Wing
----
And theen...

Cardcaptor Sakura (anything CLAMP is good for me)
Magic Knight Rayearth
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Fushigi Yuugi
Ranma 1/2 (I liked it, but I'm really not crazily into it- it dragged on a bit much for me.)
Tenchi Muyo!/Universe
Haibane Renmei
Record of Lodoss War
Serial Experiments Lain
Battle Angel (manga)
Chobits (manga)
Kare Kano
Love Hina
Oh! My Goddess
Sorcerer Hunters
Sorcerous Stabber Orphen
Escaflowne (gaaah can't stand the heroine)
Vampire Hunter D/
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Rurouni Kenshin
Gravitation (It was peer pressure, I swear)
Akira
Street Fighter: Alpha (and whatever the one that came before)
Cowboy Bebop (<3)
My Neighbor Totoro
Trigun
Howl's Moving Ca-
One Piece (it's unfinished)
Alright, yea, I gobble up anything Miyazaki.
Paprika
Millennium Actress (One of the reasons I looove these is because of the music by Susumu Hirasawa)

(I THINK... that's a pretty solid list. Might think of more later.)

Umm, my favorite anime is Berserk. It's also my favorite manga. ... I won't list all the manga I've read here, but I've read a lot.

<--- Geek. heh.

I'm kind of the same way about anime that I am with books - if it's on the bestseller's list, I'm automatically skeptical. I'm reeeally not into Naruto or Bleach. I started Bleach before the Bleach crowd really hit, but it seemed to go downhill after awhile. Some people just want to drag on the series for money, and I ... I do not have that much patience.

Anime with serious substance (Haibane Renmei, Berserk, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, etc.) - I highly, highly recommend (Berserk and Neon Genesis Evangelion only for the strong-stomached). They're not just cartoons - they truly make you think. :D I'm glad there are others on the forum who agree!

crystalmoonshin
04-06-2009, 06:22 AM
Hi, Wisp! I go to animecons, too, but I get bored way too easily so I rarely go now. I'm a fan of cosplayers but I don't cosplay, it costs a lot of time, effort and not to mention money.

I think we otakus really did come across Sailormoon, that anime being the hit anime series in the '90s together with its rival Dragonball Z. However, the first anime that really got me hooked was Yaiba, followed by Slam Dunk (which I've watched 7 times!). And then came Slayers which got me really addicted and which would become one of my fave animes of all time. And then came the Gundam series. I've caught a few episodes of Gundam X After War and I liked it immediately but the first one I've watched down to the last episode was Gundam Wing with Duo Maxwell as my crush (blush blush).

I'm not into CLAMP, though I must admit that they did a fine job with Code Geass. Oh, and I commend them for Magic Knight Rayearth, too.

Fushigi Yuugi has nice soundtracks. The concept of a modern girl transported to old China to serve as its priestess is good but I find the anime on the whole too cheesy.

I only have one word for ranma 1/2: CRAZY!

Record of Lodoss War reminds me of LOrd of the Rings...

I hate Love HIna.. Well, I hate harem anime!!!

I don't like Hitomi, either. (Escaflowne)

Rurouni Kenshin-nice but it's not something I'd watch over and over again.

LOL with you being pressured to watch Gravitation! I was tricked into it, too, bymy friends who are yaoi fans but fortunately, I wasn't able to watch the whole anime. It makes me want to barf.

Big fan of Streetfighter when I was a kid but lost the interest for it while growing up.

teashi
04-08-2009, 02:26 PM
Princess Mononoke is probably my favorite animated film ever.
Spirited Away was good, but not as good as Mononoke. Some trippy moments in that one, but a lot of anime has that certain unexplained quality about it that seems really weird, especially if you're not used to anime.
Howl's Moving Castle was also good, probably even more trippy, but very magical. Howl was.. a complex character.
Cowboy Bebop, probably my favorite anime series. Weirdness, sci-fi jazz/blues mafia stuff.. It's cool.
Kodocha, funny and perky and weird. Lots of gags, some melodrama, but it's still good. Wish the rest of the series was being dubbed into English. Yes, I prefer dubs over subs.

Bakiryu
04-09-2009, 02:37 AM
I love silly shojo anime: like Skip Beat or Fullmoon wo Saga****e. Or maybe Fruits Basket. lol

a_little_wisp
04-10-2009, 01:13 AM
Skip Beat and Fruits Basket are AWESOME, Bakiryu. So, actually, is Ouran

Hi, Wisp! I go to animecons, too, but I get bored way too easily so I rarely go now. I'm a fan of cosplayers but I don't cosplay, it costs a lot of time, effort and not to mention money.

It is ALL of those things, but I'll tell you what - performing in contests and posing day after day and getting to act, sometimes, in character is SO worth it. My group is a bit ... well, we're very picky about our costumes, so it usually is h*ll. I guess that's why we love conventions so much, why we're not so bored of it? We work like hell the month before, and then - it all pays off!

Go to a big convention. :D Those are so fun.

It was TOTALLY Sailor Moon that hit me off - well, that, DBZ, and yep - then Gundam Wing (OH DUO <33)

Fushigi Yuugi is cheesy, I'll give you that, but I started watching it in middle school by renting it from our anime rental place (I KNOW, RIGHT?)- it was one of the few complete series they had- that, and Rurouni Kenshin (I actually HAVE watched that more than one time through).

I like Love Hina because it was a bonding experience for my brother and I. Not awkward at all. When you're raised around boys, you just have to learn to roll your eyes and laugh at the BOYS who laugh at the boobs.

You know, yaoi just doesn't appeal to me. I loved (I forgot this one ) Revolutionary Girl Utena (a soft shoujo ai) because it had a plot, but Gravitation is just like one big soap opera. The characters were TOTALLY unappealing to me. Sad day.

Streetfighter I love because I love the games. XD

crystalmoonshin
04-12-2009, 01:19 AM
I love silly shojo anime: like Skip Beat or Fullmoon wo Saga****e. Or maybe Fruits Basket. lol

Why not try "Yamato Nadeshiko Henge" (aka The Wallflower)? It's so hilarious. I rememeber reading the manga late at night and laughing my head off. Haven't finished reading Fullmoon... Have you read "Shinshi Doumei Cross"? It's also by Arina Tanemura.

I like "Lovely Complex" when it comes to shoujo anime.

jekan blazer
05-04-2009, 12:54 PM
here arer two links i think you all should look at...
http://www.onemanga.com/(free manga) (http://www.onemanga.com/)

http://www.crunchyroll.com/(free anime) (http://www.crunchyroll.com/)

crystalmoonshin
05-07-2009, 06:20 AM
I used to read manga at www.onemanga.com, too.

I watch anime at www.animeseason.com :)

jekan blazer
05-07-2009, 11:41 AM
sounds like you have fun.

crystalmoonshin
05-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Well, yeah. What are you watching at present, BTW?

As for me, I'm currently addicted to Trinity Blood. :)

jekan blazer
05-11-2009, 01:45 PM
nothing but on http://www.onemanga.com, (http://www.onemanga.com) im currently reading the manga book "the legend of zelda: ocarina of time." freaking sweet!!!

crystalmoonshin
05-12-2009, 11:08 AM
isn't that derived from a video game?

Bluebiird
05-12-2009, 06:30 PM
Skip Beat and Fruits Basket are AWESOME, Bakiryu. So, actually, is Ouran

I looove Ouran. It's just so sweeet. I have a long list of anime I've seen since last year but my favourites (that I've seen more than once) are;
Hellsing (anime) and I've watched the first OVA twice
The magic users club (both the OVA and anime) numerous times. It's just so sweet and funny
Ouran (watched it again recently)

I'm also a Miyazaki fan. Howl's Moving Castle is my favourite film.
I want to watch Deathnote, I've seen both films but I want to finish reading it before I watch the anime :).

jekan blazer
05-14-2009, 12:08 PM
isn't that derived from a video game?

yup thats why it is so cool!!!

Kiemain
05-14-2009, 05:01 PM
Who's going to Ota fest tomorrows?

Oh, and yeah anime's cool. Death Note, Gurren Laagen, Code Geass, all those good stuff ^^

joao_oliveira
05-30-2009, 04:29 PM
My favorite anime series is "Monster". Killer storyline and characters! "Mushishi" comes in a close second. It is the most dreamy piece of art I've watched in a while. I felt like crying in almost every episode. Sadly most of the commercial series overshadow this fantastic ones...

Dunpeal
06-01-2009, 09:36 PM
Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu, Trigun, Monster, Berserk, Gundam Wing, Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann, Fullmetal Alchemist (and the new series is good also.. don't need to see the first one to understand it), Genshiken, Escaflowne (series), Princess Mononoke

places to check out..

http://www.mangatraders.com

http://www.bleachexile.com

Rolls_Rave
06-02-2009, 02:53 PM
I like the anime classics best such as:
Niklaas --> Anime Version of the book "Dog Of Flanders"
Prinzessin Sara --> Anime Version of "Little Princess"
Perinne --> Anime Version of "En Famille"
Heidi

jekan blazer
06-02-2009, 03:42 PM
attention all anime / manga lovers!!!

there is a social group for you now.... republic of the otaku (http://www.online-literature.com/forums/group.php?groupid=68) check it out!!!

Bakiryu
06-07-2009, 01:47 AM
Why not try "Yamato Nadeshiko Henge" (aka The Wallflower)? It's so hilarious. I rememeber reading the manga late at night and laughing my head off. Haven't finished reading Fullmoon... Have you read "Shinshi Doumei Cross"? It's also by Arina Tanemura.

I like "Lovely Complex" when it comes to shoujo anime.

OOh, I love the Wallflower, it's one of my favorite manga and anime. I haven't read Shinshi Doumei Cross yet...what's it about?

crystalmoonshin
06-08-2009, 07:53 AM
It's about a girl named Haine who's in love with the "Emperor" of her school because she believes it was him who saved her from becoming into a real delinquent and that he's the author of her favorite book. Got me crying towards the end. But I like "Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne" better. It's also by Arina Tanemura.

SmileyBon
06-16-2009, 11:57 AM

Ah yes :D I loooved that series! Have you seen the follow up film and the new second series?? Me and my boyf are watching the second series on evenings at the moment :)

nothing but on onemanga.com, im currently reading the manga book "the legend of zelda: ocarina of time." freaking sweet!!!

There's a manga for this???!!!

I loooove Zelda games :D

jekan blazer
06-16-2009, 12:01 PM
apparently they do....

SmileyBon
06-16-2009, 12:03 PM
I watch a lot of anime :) I loved Full Metal Alchemist and Death Note :)

Am a big fan of Studio Ghibli too :D Totoro is cool! Wish I'd seen it as a kid instead of Disney stuff!!

Anyone seen Grave of the Fireflies by Ghibli? it is sooo the best and sooo sad :( :(

Oh I will check out the anime board now :) cool to chat about anime to peeps :)

jekan blazer
06-16-2009, 12:07 PM
hey smileybon? could we be friends?

SmileyBon
06-16-2009, 12:17 PM
Hey :) yay its always nice to make friends :)

I've just added you :D

jekan blazer
06-16-2009, 12:19 PM
ty very much!!!

Joreads
06-20-2009, 01:32 AM
I just saw Blood the Last vampire and it was great. At times it was so real I forgot we were watching anime

crystalmoonshin
06-21-2009, 02:19 AM
I just saw Blood the Last vampire and it was great. At times it was so real I forgot we were watching anime

The anime or the live? Anyway, you may want to try Blood+. I'm watching it now. :)

Joreads
06-25-2009, 10:50 PM
The anime or the live? Anyway, you may want to try Blood+. I'm watching it now. :)

The Anime and it was great, It will be interesting to see what they do with the live one.

crystalmoonshin
06-28-2009, 03:09 AM
Try Blood +!!! The Saya in that series is way prettier than the Saya in Blood the Last Vampire. (That anime series was inspired by the movie.)

Pryderi Agni
06-28-2009, 10:38 AM
Try Blood +!!! The Saya in that series is way prettier than the Saya in Blood the Last Vampire. (That anime series was inspired by the movie.)

Not to mention hotter!:blush:

I'm gonna be the first to admit I had a huge crush on Saya until like two years ago...she's so babelicious:D.

rimbaud
09-20-2009, 06:51 PM

I love Blood+
Japanese anime is so cool, the art work is great, the characters are cool and the story is great
and I have a huge crush on hagy :)

balehead
10-14-2009, 07:08 PM
Only anime movie I ever really loved would be Studio Ghibli's production of Diana Wynne jones' "Howl's Moving Castle" ... When I was younger I read the book, and never really liked it, but I loved the movie

crystalmoonshin
10-17-2009, 12:42 PM
Fairy Tail episode 1 has been released!!!

But it was a bit disappointing seeing that the anime is somewhat patterned after One Piece. And Natsu acts a lot like Luffy! Lucy, on the other hand isn't like Elle (Rave, by the same mangaka that created Fairy Tail), and thank goodness for that!

I'm waiting for Ezra to show up. Another cool girl who kicks ***!