PDA

View Full Version : If you like to know...

Pages : [1] 2

subterranean
03-30-2005, 08:30 PM
...Just ask.

Ok, inspired by the post in the "5 People you want to know"...

How about asking any of the members here question about their selves. I think this can make us know more about members in our forum. The questions can be anything, but of course keep them civil and decent enough for everyone to read :)... And of course, though you can ask, it's the person's right to answer or to not answer your Qs.

Ok, let me start

To AP: What's the meaning of Atiguhya Padma? Are they words from other language? (sounds Hindi)? Are there any meanings?

To Asha: How old are you when you write your first poem?

I think that's all for now :)

Sub

Stanislaw
03-30-2005, 10:15 PM
to SubT: Whom is your model in life?

To Logos: Why don't you post anymore?

To bongitybongbong :where ye be at?

subterranean
03-31-2005, 01:57 AM
Stan, I don't really have any role model whom I follow, but I admire Thom Yorke and what he does/says/sings...

To Logos too: are you female or male?

To Stan: Are you also very talkative in your everyday life? :)

to SubT: Whom is your model in life?

amuse
03-31-2005, 09:45 AM
to Sub T: have you ever been in a band? (wonders because of your love of music)

to AP: have you traveled a lot? as in, outside of the U.K.?

to Taliesin: do you refer to yourselves as "we" outside of the forum? if so, in what sort of company - casual or close friends only?

B, i was six.

Shea
03-31-2005, 12:55 PM
To Mono, what made you desire to be a nurse?

mono
03-31-2005, 05:15 PM
To Mono, what made you desire to be a nurse?
Besides still having a minor/double-major in English literature and creative writing, I have multiple reasons. I love applied science, especially biology and organic chemistry, and I have always wanted to help the less fortunately healthy with that passion; I considered a paramedic - no, too hectic being trapped in an ambulance; I considered a doctor - no, the hours seemed odd, and they never get as much patient contact; then, a nurse, yes!
I found myself strictly as a literature/creative writing major early in college, and probably would have continued, had I not gained acceptance from my nursing program. Besides that luck, however, I enjoy contributing to the health of communities, big or small, and have received good, inspirational experiences with other nurses - such as, when being born, my mother's labor proceeded so quickly that the doctor could not arrive in time, and only the nurse helped. :)

To Stanislaw: I have always wondered, how old/young are you? And where has Wladyslaw disappeared?

To imthefoolonthehill: what made you first have a keen interest in mathematics?

To Admin: you have mentioned managing other websites - which other sites, just out of curiosity?

subterranean
03-31-2005, 08:33 PM
to Sub T: have you ever been in a band? (wonders because of your love of music)

B, i was six.

I used to sing for some friends' bands..

To Ash: What did you write at that time, do you still remember?

IWilKikU
04-01-2005, 07:40 AM
Besides still having a minor/double-major in English literature and creative writing, I have multiple reasons. I love applied science, especially biology and organic chemistry, and I have always wanted to help the less fortunately healthy with that passion; I considered a paramedic - no, too hectic being trapped in an ambulance; I considered a doctor - no, the hours seemed odd, and they never get as much patient contact; then, a nurse, yes!
I found myself strictly as a literature/creative writing major early in college, and probably would have continued, had I not gained acceptance from my nursing program. Besides that luck, however, I enjoy contributing to the health of communities, big or small, and have received good, inspirational experiences with other nurses - such as, when being born, my mother's labor proceeded so quickly that the doctor could not arrive in time, and only the nurse helped. :)

My Mom was a nurse and then became a writer. Good combo.

simon
04-01-2005, 12:54 PM
What aspect of life drew past posters away from the forum?

amuse
04-01-2005, 02:13 PM
i'm kind of wondering - unbelievably nosy, i know :blush: - if mono and Psyche have any plans to marry one day?

mono, i've wondered what those other sites are too!

B, the poem was called "In the Evening" - i wish my mom had kept it - i gave it to her. it was on a pink 3x5 slip of paper - from the multi-colored pads they have for kids, and i wrote about sunset, a hungry baby bunny and its mommy...that's all i know. i never even thought about it until a few years ago.
we lived in Tuolumne, in the foothills of the Sierra Nevadas, and it was beautiful - nature at its best - hills and ponderosa pines all around, very idyllic. 4 seasons, even - a rarity in california. of course i was a frightful child - poor mama earth! :D and very scared of kissing bugs. *stops rambling.

papayahed
04-01-2005, 02:39 PM
Doesn't anybody want to ask me a question?

Baddad: What do you do for a living?

SubT: Are you in school? or do you work?

fool: How did you get your screen name? and do you live on a hill?

Stan: where do you get the cool avatars? and do you ever go to scifi conventions?

kilted: Have you decided what to do about school?

amuse
04-01-2005, 02:55 PM
papayahed: what would you like us to ask you? :D
seriously, what are some of your hobbies, and what's going on with your move???

kilted exile
04-01-2005, 03:56 PM
kilted: Have you decided what to do about school?

I know what I am going to do now. I will have to become a working drone for the next 2 years to save up enough money (have a job lined up to start in September doing air quality testing) and then I am going to go to Lakehead University to take the final 2yrs of their Chemical Engineering program.

shortysweetp
04-01-2005, 05:58 PM
mono: what elementary and middle school did you attend? and same question as amuse about you and psyche.

mono
04-01-2005, 06:36 PM
i'm kind of wondering - unbelievably nosy, i know - if mono and Psyche have any plans to marry one day?
We two ask ourselves the same question, but for now we consider ourselves "engaged-to-be-engaged," if that makes sense. For now, however, I think we both feel quite content with our present "label."

mono: what elementary and middle school did you attend? and same question as amuse about you and psyche.
Ironically, we did not know this until about a month ago, that Psyche and I attended the same elementary school, but at different times (I moved out of the area before she moved in from California) at Eagle Creek Elementary School; I later attended Mabel Rush Elementary, then Springbrook Middle School, transferring later to Chehalem Middle School (I moved a lot).

Now for more questions:
papayahed: what do you do for a living, and does this contribute to your great sage-like knowledge of 80s rock? :D
shortsweetp: what makes you want to move back to Oregon?
amuse: do have any other passions in your life, but what you have expressed for poetry, applied science, and math (such a diverse selection)?

papayahed
04-01-2005, 07:02 PM
papayahed: what would you like us to ask you? :D
seriously, what are some of your hobbies, and what's going on with your move???

See, that's just a pity question, but thank you....

shortysweetp
04-01-2005, 07:35 PM
i really loved living there. its so beautiful and i loved living where i could just hop on a bus and go anywhere i wanted. not too hot not too cold nice weather even while its raining :) plus my step-family still leaves there.

papayahed
04-01-2005, 07:44 PM
papayahed: what do you do for a living, and does this contribute to your great sage-like knowledge of 80s rock?

I take care of the governmental and environmental reporting and safety for a chemical manufacturer.

My knowledge of 80's rock comes from a love of music and that fact that I was a teenager during that era. Yes, I have a whole mess of cassette tapes of Motley Crue, Ratt, and Judas Priest....

I'm in the middle of my move, currently I'm still living in a hotel, I rented an apartment but can't move in until next week and I still haven't packed up, or cleaned, or listed my house in MI yet.

shortysweetp
04-01-2005, 08:22 PM
[QUOTE=papayahed]I take care of the governmental and environmental reporting and safety for a chemical manufacturer.
[QUOTE=papyahed] what does that mean exactly? i am changing my major to environmental science water resources. which is basically testing water for companies or the epa etc

Koa
04-02-2005, 11:19 AM
i'm kind of wondering - unbelievably nosy, i know :blush: - if mono and Psyche have any plans to marry one day?

Wait, I missed something... So are mono and Psyche an official couple? and did they meet here or just one of them dragged the other into the forum madness?

Taliesin
04-02-2005, 12:57 PM
to Taliesin: do you refer to yourselves as "we" outside of the forum? if so, in what sort of company - casual or close friends only?

No, it is strictly related to lit-forums. Only you have the honour of seeing our many faces.
Although, sometimes we accidentally say "we" elsewhere.

mono
04-02-2005, 05:45 PM
So are mono and Psyche an official couple? and did they meet here or just one of them dragged the other into the forum madness?
We met in the non-Internet life (:lol:) long ago. I once introduced her to this forum, and she joined, being also a fan of literature, and she enjoyed the games here in the 'General Chat' section.
Additionally, she has introduced me to various sites, including the Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab (http://blackphoenixalchemylab.com/welcome.html), Lush, which we have a store in our city (http://www.lush.com/), and, the ever famous, Live Journal (http://www.livejournal.com/).

lhaeber
04-02-2005, 08:51 PM
I want to ask HELGA;

What kind of spiders do you have where you live, if any? Or, insects, maybe?

amuse
04-02-2005, 11:10 PM
amuse: do have any other passions in your life, but what you have expressed for poetry, applied science, and math (such a diverse selection)?
well, i'm not a civil war buff Yet, but am fascinated by it - most especially the battle of gettysburg.

i also love to bake. my stove in this apartment works, but the oven's numbers are worn - i can't wait until i move in may: i will be baking in all my spare time - especially a huge assortment of biscotti, russian tea cookies, cupcakes, cakes, apple...apple anything. especially crisps and pies. i love to chop, i love to smell sugary sweets baking, and i lovelovelove to share the finished products with friends. :)

i'm also very interested in england's jacobite intrigues. really, england from the beginning to the 18th century...

to mono: same question - it's a great one! you've extremely diverse yourself. :)
i wish i still lived in california so i could visit you and Psyche. LUSH is a great site, btw. thanks to both of you. :)

baddad
04-03-2005, 12:57 AM
Baddad: What do you do for a living?

?

That is a good question.......and the real, short answer would be, NOTHING!!.......BUT.......

I've just spent three years at University, I write novels and hope to dedicate myself to nothing else......

I have spent the last year (14 months) travelling, meeting new people, snorkeling the coral reefs (4 months) of Cozumel, Mexico, exploring the Yucatan Peninsula (evidence of meteor that wiped out Mr. Dinasaur), and generally bumming around the North American continent, Canada, America, Mexico. But it is coming to an end, this tour of leisure. At the end of April I will return to my home in British Columbia, CAnada. I told myself I would take a year holiday, but it has been extended a bit longer. And now I'm excited to be going home again.........(Gonna see my friend Verybadmom when I get home...)

I haven't had a job since November of 1993, I haven't had to work, so I did not.....but discovering a small and latent talent for writing has reinvigorated me, injected me with the drive I've so longed for and truly mourned the loss of for many years....bit of an 'empty nest syndrome' sufferer.....

So, I will write. I may be successful or I may not, but I will take the challenge, give it my best shot, and die happy knowing I will enjoy the attempt at being true to myself.......and besides, what is the worst that can happen????

*grimaces, tries not explore that last thought*

mono
04-03-2005, 01:15 AM
So, I will write. I may be successful or I may not, but I will take the challenge, give it my best shot, and die happy knowing I will enjoy the attempt at being true to myself.......and besides, what is the worst that can happen????
Excellent post, baddad. While I read the message slowly, you remind me so much of one of my favorite writers, D.H. Lawrence. Hopefully you take that as a compliment, and continue to pursue your expressed passions in life, as he did, writing so much.

to mono: same question - it's a great one! you've extremely diverse yourself.
Besides my well-expressed and great affinity for applied science, literature, and creative writing, I have few others. Presently, when not studying or attending college, I continue tutoring people in human anatomy and physiology, microbiology, and edit essays/poems/stories - oddly, I enjoy it all.
Due to Psyche's introduction of various scents and resources, I have rendered myself as a big fan of aromatherapy.
Regardless, I love cooking also, but rarely find the time - mostly Mediterranean dishes and desserts with the occasional vegetarian Middle Eastern or Asian dish.
Since childhood, I have always had a very strong liking of being around nature, usually through the means of walking, hiking, and bicycling. Call me a "wanna-be" transcendentalist, but I have incessantly found something so alluring in naturally scenic areas.

baddad: do you have any greatest influences in writing?
lhaeber: just out of curiosity, where do you reside?

lhaeber
04-03-2005, 02:53 AM
Vancouver, B.C. Ask me if I love living here, go on, ask me...

Taliesin; what the hey ho happened, you were stolen? did you answer already and I missed it, or did you avoid answering and now I'm bringing it up again.

Koa
04-03-2005, 11:54 AM
I have spent the last year (14 months) travelling, meeting new people, snorkeling the coral reefs (4 months) of Cozumel, Mexico, exploring the Yucatan Peninsula (evidence of meteor that wiped out Mr. Dinasaur), and generally bumming around the North American continent, Canada, America, Mexico. But it is coming to an end, this tour of leisure. At the end of April I will return to my home in British Columbia, CAnada. I told myself I would take a year holiday, but it has been extended a bit longer. And now I'm excited to be going home again.........(Gonna see my friend Verybadmom when I get home...)

Sounds extremely interesting... It reminds me... In my short travels around Europe I've met plenty of young (and sometimes less young) people from the USA and Canada that were just taking one year off travellling Europe on their own... And for me and whoever else was travelling with me this was just so strange! We understand of course the desire to travel, but we feel it must be so strange to be pretty much homeless for such a long time, and basically alone in the adventure...and most of all we can't help wondering where they get the money from, to do that...(even a few days of holiday are not that cheap if you need a place to stay)

Baddad, would you virtually marry me? :D

Logos
04-04-2005, 03:14 PM
Why don't I post much anymore? well, thankfully because there hasn't been too much, errr, Moderating to do lately ;) and also I will say I'm enjoying some time in Europe for work and business at this time.

Stanislaw
04-04-2005, 04:56 PM
okay here be some answers:

I am 18 almost 19

I am rather talkative

I do sometimes go to scifi conventions

I get most of my avy's from larger picks that I hack up in photoshop

and Wladyslaw is frequanting a polish forum!

Questions:

Logos: Whom is your role model?

SubT: Do you consider yourself to be a rebel / those around you consider you to be one?

Shea: have you ever read eaters of the dead?

Papayahead: Have ye ever gone to scifi conventions.

subterranean
04-04-2005, 08:11 PM
SubT: Are you in school? or do you work?

Papay, I work and also study. I'm a money slave in a multinational company and student of English for Translation in a public university :)

SubT: Do you consider yourself to be a rebel / those around you consider you to be one?

Yes, Stan...Least that's what they say about me. Don't get me wrong, I'm a spontenaous and extrovert person. If I don't like something or I found somethings where they don't belong, I'd say it right away. I don't really care if I have to talk to straight to the point to my boss for instance. And of course, I don't always critisize everything, and on the other hand I totally open for people's critizisms directed to me..

Baddad, would you virtually marry me?

Koa..that's a very interesting Q :D

My Q for you, what makes you throw that Q?

Baddad , what is your answer??? :D

KIK , What made you decide to get married? I know 'tis a personal Q, so I understand if you prefer not to answer...

Papay ..how old are you anway??

baddad
04-05-2005, 02:07 AM
IIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I LOVE THIS PLACE!!! iT IS JUST SO DAMN WHACKY!!! *stop yelling you idiot, your gonna scare people*

Oh yeah, I'd marry again!!!! *smashes head repeatedly against computer tower* After all, the voices in my head get lonely sometimes...........

subterranean
04-05-2005, 05:25 AM
Well well...looks like two of our forum members will tie the knot :D :lol:

papayahed
04-05-2005, 09:56 AM
*sighs* always the bridesmaid never the bride....... I do get to be a bridesmaid right?

I've never been to a sci fi convention, but I wouldn't rule it out. I have gone to the Star Trek experience in Vegas though where I truely let my nerdiness shine.

I'm 34 1/2.

Shea
04-05-2005, 01:24 PM
Shea: have you ever read eaters of the dead?

:lol: No, what sparked that question? :lol: I've never heard of it, is it a worm story?

subterranean
04-05-2005, 08:00 PM
*sighs* always the bridesmaid never the bride....... I do get to be a bridesmaid right?

I have no problem with that, long as I got the bride's flower ;)

I'm 34 1/2.

Seriously Papay, I think I read somewhere that someone or you mentioned that you're in your teenage life, like 18 or so :goof:

Stan , how's school??

Camper , tell us something new in your life ;)

Crisaor Will you ever take part in the forum's book discussion?

Miss Darcy
04-05-2005, 11:01 PM
Subterranean: They killed Kenny? :D
Jay: What part of the Czech Republic do you live in? If you go to university, which one do you go to?
Mono: What do you like most about life (sorry about the philosophicality of that question and the strangeness of that word [philosophicality]...;))
Adelheid: What part of Oz do you live in? Adelaide? :D
Molko: I recall reading you lived in Queensland...what's the weather like over there? Raining at all?
Shea: How long have you played the harp?
Baddad: If you wrote a book right now and had to decide on the title immediately, what would you call it?

I think that's enough questions for now. Some answers would be good. :D

Darcy.

Stanislaw
04-06-2005, 12:24 AM
:lol: No, what sparked that question? :lol: I've never heard of it, is it a worm story?

Oh just wondering, it is based off the Beowulf saga, and since ye had the epic in your sig for a while I was just curious, I would recommend the book, the movie based off the book is titled "The Thirteenth Warrior". The movie is cool, but the book i9s better. (oh the title is a bit crude, but generally the book is not as explicit.)

baddad
04-06-2005, 12:39 AM
I've read that book, Eaters of the Dead. It was quite good actually. The movie was quite cheesy (bad). The only good thing about the movie was the fact that it was filmed in British Columbia, Canada. Antonio Banderas was the star, but unfortunately he can't act.....

mono
04-06-2005, 12:55 AM
Mono: What do you like most about life (sorry about the philosophicality of that question and the strangeness of that word [philosophicality]...;))
No need to apologize, as I generally like the more philosophical (or 'philosophicalitical' :D) questions, compelling me to think.
I enjoy much about life, but particularly the small, seemingly petty, aspects. I enjoy trying not to take things for granted; I could spend hours just wandering around nature, listening to the rain and wind - in essence, the popular quote, "stopping to smell the flowers."
I also enjoy learning, in general, specifically things about literature (obviously), philosophy, spirituality, and the natural sciences. Derived from that thought, I care much for self-expression, mostly through the arts, of which I know few, like painting, sculpting, writing, music, photography, etc.; typically, I think one has the ability of expression for a reason, art being the ultimate means.
With a final note, I suppose I can enjoy nothing more than love (all that mushy mushiness for 'suckers' :D), it being the MOST transcendent of feelings that influences, I believe, every other human faculty.

Miss Darcy: same question as you asked me - a good one. :)
Koa: in reference to a previous post, what would you call an ideal Saturday night?
Logos: since Admin may not have received my question asked earlier in this thread, what other websites does he manage, if any?
Jester and BongityBongBong: where did you both disappear to (perhaps together :brow: )?

Miss Darcy
04-06-2005, 02:46 AM
Miss Darcy: same question as you asked me - a good one.

Well...I like how life has the tendency to surprise one - how unexpected things happen. I also like that it educates one, that it (eventually) makes one a better person. That too - striving to be a better person, I think, is very important.

And I love music and nature. Two very pure things...things? Is music a thing? I suppose not, though it is of course transmitted partly in the form of material soundwaves...there is more to it...I mean, the emotional aspect, the waves of beauty that emanate from the person playing it...and I couldn't live without nature. Well, to speak the truth, no one could, we'd all die out, but I hope you know what I mean. Though nowadays I spend too much time on the computer, I still really appreciate nature. I couldn't live without trees around my house, big, leafy, beautiful trees. And I like going on bushwalks too...or (in Europe) walks in the fields, through the woods, breathing the fresh air, with a silence that is punctuated only by the buzzings of insects and the singing of birds...I've always had a dream, to lie down under a pear tree in my grandmother's garden in the meadows...and just daydream...or sleep...do nothing...pleasant rays of sunshine sieving through the leaves above you...

Also, my mother makes my life special. Perhaps that sound corny, but it's true. I wouldn't even be here without her, and I'd never have had all the aspirations and interests I now do. Maybe I should have put that first.

And refining the spirit, culturing soulful energy to doing things in a beautiful way. I don't do this too often :blush:, but I believe it is very important in life...that the soul is very special.

I, too, love reading (otherwise I wouldn't be here - though you may argue I spend all my time arguing about religion ;)). I can spend hours just reading a good book. I don't really read new books...just classics. I love writing as well, and of course art, and other refinements.

I like bike riding as well, working one's way up a hill, suffering hardship - and yet what a beautiful issues when after working so hard for it you fly down it.

I don't exactly have much experience in love :D, except of course filial (and grandfilial, if there is such a word) love. So I can't really put that on my list...:p

Whoa, that was long. Now some more questions:

Mono: If you could make one thing in the world better, what would it be? (Does not have to be anything material...)
Stan: What does "3 out of 5" mean?

Must be off for the present. :)

Darcy.

papayahed
04-06-2005, 09:46 AM
Antonio Banderas was the star, but unfortunately he can't act.....

Yes, but he looks awfully good doing it.

crisaor
04-06-2005, 09:57 AM
Crisaor Will you ever take part in the forum's book discussion?
I don't know. I suppose so, at some point. Seeing they chose Brave New World sparked my interest, but the voting for the new page limit kinda turned it off.

Sub, which one do you like best, Radiohead, The Doors, or Led Zeppelin?

Logos: since Admin may not have received my question asked earlier in this thread, what other websites does he manage, if any
Well, I'm neither, but you might want to check this (http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?t=979) out.

Stanislaw
04-06-2005, 11:18 AM
okay:

School is awesome, I am reigning supreme! :D

And the other:

3 of 5 was hue's borg designation, before he was named hue by Geordi and Beverly (all in Star Trek the Next Generation). oh btw, that be him in the avatar.

atiguhya padma
04-06-2005, 11:33 AM
SubT: I am told that Atiguhya Padma is Sanskrit and that it means Primordial Secret Lotus.

Amuse: Yes I guess I have travelled a fair bit. First through leisure (US, Israel, Greece, N Europe etc), then on business (US, Southern, Central and Northern Europe). Nowadays, living with someone with a fear of flying, I tend to go on rail weekends to France and Belgium, and holidays by car to France, Italy and Germany.

Miss Darcy: What are you studying?

SubT: How did you get into Radiohead?

Amuse: Where do you get your inspiration from?

amuse
04-06-2005, 01:28 PM
goodness, AP, something told me that you liked to go here and there, but i'd no idea! how wonderful, all the places you've been. :)

i am inspired by smarmy, mundane things, that have value simply because i think they shouldn't be overlooked as so often occurs, stray phrases that accompany mind pictures that i have to try to write down the properly fitting words to, a dream i had last night - an epic poem that began:
"It rained in Lorchan this morning"
followed by a plethora of "I will continue...'s"
and the usual horrific, beautiful, quirky, terrible things that we see and feel all around us everyday. i am inspired by other art forms, in the sense that when any artist thinks outside the box, it helps to liberate my own sense of rhythm/language. by music - especially tempo, by experiences, by deep-seated desires, questions, fears, and hates. i also like writing that makes me slightly uneasy, exposed. and trying new styles.

i wonder is this too long.

an analogy: quilting...my aunt quilts; she recently made a scrap quilt, and for poetry i collect what i call "pieces of eight" - my latest additions are from titles to boggle games i began in an online setting:

"between promises"
&
"when the alphabet sneezed."

AP: very same question. :) :)

Koa
04-06-2005, 03:56 PM
Koa..that's a very interesting Q :D

My Q for you, what makes you throw that Q?

LOL well i don't know...I just had a moment of affection (forum style mind you!) for baddad and that's it... I remind you that I'm against marriage so that's purely for forum fun :D

Koa: in reference to a previous post, what would you call an ideal Saturday night?
The one where I don't have to think that it's Saturday night. It just feels good, it might be Thursday afternoon for what matters, but I'm having fun.
Having to mention a situation, those that come to my mind are a good long relaxed chat with friends, or a Depeche Mode party (but the best ones I've had were on Fridays) :D I've enjoyed parties in Hungary due to the good feeling, but I wonder if I would find the same feeling anywhere else...

Why can't I think of interesting questions to others? It feels strange to me to ask things, because I feel I know things about you all because they have been said spontaneously aorund... I'm sure I've wondered about something sometime, but I can't recall...

mono
04-06-2005, 05:11 PM
Mono: If you could make one thing in the world better, what would it be? (Does not have to be anything material...)
Someone asked me a question similar to this fairly recently.
Finding the answer required some thought, but I would certainly choose something intangible, non-material. If I could improve anything, I would have to choose reverence, a rare virtue - a very general topic that I could type whole pages. The category of reverence stretches, I think, to much more than catches the eye, but mostly refers to tolerance, empathy, and understanding of diversity, mostly in terms of art, religion, race, gender, general interests, and communication. With more of this forgotten virtue, I feel there would seem much more tolerance and respect of others, less racism, less sexism, less religious wars, less discrimination and attacking of art and religion, and more natural ties between everyone.
Perhaps this sounds like my plea for world peace, but, oh well, call me the utopian idealist. :D

Miss Darcy: you ask wonderful questions - I ask your question back.
Isagel: where have you gone, and have you recovered well?
crisaor: do you study much philosophy, and, if so, any particulars?
subterranean: I have felt worried about your region of the planet - have things improved?

subterranean
04-06-2005, 08:52 PM
Subterranean: They killed Kenny?

D'arcy, there's this one episode in South Park, season 3, where Kenny died. I was just a little upset that THEY, people behind that cartoon, made that episode.

I don't know. I suppose so, at some point. Seeing they chose Brave New World sparked my interest, but the voting for the new page limit kinda turned it off.

I asked because, well, IMO, I think you'd unlikely join the discussion again, coz of that thingy....well, you know what I'm referring to..

[QUOTE] Sub, which one do you like best, Radiohead, The Doors, or Led Zeppelin?

Cris, I can put The Doors on number 3, but I can't decide which one in the 1st or 2nd place.. I love Jimmy Page (in particular) alot and seeing him play (even if it's only on DVDs) is something so amazing for me, and Led's songs are great!!! As for Radiohead, I think the music and lyrics are awesome, and sooo love Thom's expressions when he sings.

SubT: How did you get into Radiohead?

I was 13 when I saw this band on tv. Can't forget how the lead vocalist sing "Creep", and he instantly became my first crush. Later I found out that the band's name is Radiohead.

subterranean: I have felt worried about your region of the planet - have things improved?

Mono, Jakarta is fine, despite the bad weather we're having in these past few days. And as for the Nias Island, which strucked by the quake few days ago, there's an exodus of people now, coz people are afraid that new quake will struck again. And for Aceh, which was hit by Tsunami last December, it's slowly recovering..

I remind you that I'm against marriage so that's purely for forum fun

Even in virtuall world? :D. Koa, why? If I may ask

Crisaor, are you a party kind of person ?

AP, What do you think of Thom Yorke?
Also, does your family (excluding you) belongs to any particular religion/belief???

baddad
04-07-2005, 02:14 AM
Baddad[/B]: If you wrote a book right now and had to decide on the title immediately, what would you call it?Darcy.

Kinda' like word association eh? Ok, I would call the book IMMEDIACY, and I would want the title printed with a soft blue ink on some kind of pastel background to help imply a huggy-feely nature of the tale........but of course, at the end.......real life intrudes and most characters get what they have earned or deserve.....

Koa: Need to know know this before the nupitals: If you had to highlight one fundamental change in your perspective in the last year, what would that be, and what do you suppose the cause is?

Mono: Is your self described idealism something fundamental to your 'SELF', something innate that you feel in your core/soul, something that wells up from within naturally, or is it a response on your part to perspectives/experiences empirical to you?

Miss Darcy
04-07-2005, 03:44 AM
Miss Darcy: What are you studying?

Well, Music, mainly (the violin, piano, and music theory/history), otherwise English (creative writing, any other writing, HSC workbook), Ancient History, Czech (HSC Course), Computer Studies (well...mostly web page design), Biology, and Geography.

From the length of the list you can tell I'm still at school, as for Uni I'm hoping to go to the Sydney Conservatorium, unless I change my mind for some strange reason. I'd also like to do an English Literature course, but maybe after the Con...

Subterranean: They killed Kenny?

D'arcy, there's this one episode in South Park, season 3, where Kenny died. I was just a little upset that THEY, people behind that cartoon, made that episode.

Well he'll always be alive in the other episodes, so he's not really dead. Sorry, I just found it amusing because I know somebody of that name.

Miss Darcy: you ask wonderful questions - I ask your question back.

Oh...let me think...your answer was really good, I'll have to try to match it. :D

I'd want people to be less egocentric, to respect others (what you said, basically! Sorry for being a copycat...), to act so they could respect themselves (deep down), and to act more responsibly towards the environment. Oh - sum that all up and I'll just say, world peace, and everyone work for a better environment.

Now, the questions:

AP: Where do you live? I have some vague idea of the UK, don't know where that comes from, perhaps you could clear that up? :)
Sub: What do you like doing most in your spare time?
Mono: What's your favourite Hubble photo? :D
Taliesin: What inspired your using that username? :)

Darcy

Helga
04-07-2005, 07:31 AM
I want to ask HELGA;

What kind of spiders do you have where you live, if any? Or, insects, maybe?

only very small onesand no deadly ones. Some people bring a tarantula home from vacations but that is illegal. I love spiders and I wish I had a big one, but on other insects it's just worms and flies mainly, but I wonder why you ask me that?

atiguhya padma
04-07-2005, 07:35 AM
AP: very same question.

My inspiration generally comes through reading, listening and walking. I like the whacky side of life. I'm often inspired by observing the meaninglessness of things, by patterns in word structures and generally by ideas. Walking through various landscapes inspires me too. Often I will think of something totally unrelated to where I am, or something with a vague relationship. Once I have an idea on something, I follow it down many twists and turns and end up discarding a great deal of excess baggage. On other occasions I just sit down and write something straight off from a memory of an experience or other (generally relating it to something I've read). What I find difficult is recording the present: I always like to mull things over in my head, creating memories that end up as writing. My partner, she is far more visually inspired than I am. Her writing is much more descriptive and I think you can tell from what she writes that she is an artist (as well as a musician). Umberto Eco and Italo Calvino are amongst my favourite writers. I love the pursuit of ideas.

AP, What do you think of Thom Yorke?
Also, does your family (excluding you) belongs to any particular religion/belief???

I think Thom Yorke is great. Radiohead are my favourite band. It seems to me that so many bands tried to copy them, but no-one that I have heard in the last few years has quite managed to create something as different as Radiohead did in The Bends and then again with Kid A / Amnesiac. (I used to love Led Zep too. Kashmir still rocks)

I don't think anyone in my family is seriously religious. Some of my brothers and my mother pay a kind of lip service to Christianity. But the last time anyone from my family entered a church for a service, was many, many years ago.

AP: Where do you live? I have some vague idea of the UK, don't know where that comes from, perhaps you could clear that up?

Yeah I come from the UK. A smallish county on the north-western border of London, 20 mins from the capital by train. I work in London and have come to love the place, despite the packt-like-sardines-in-a-crushed-tin-box conditions on its outdated rush-hour transport systems. I also love my home town, a place that transformed itself from a brewing and printing market town when I was born, to a service sector town that it is now. It boomed first with the coming of the canals and then again with the railways.

Anyway enough of that. Back to work for me.......

Shea
04-07-2005, 11:18 AM
Shea: How long have you played the harp?

I've been playing harp for 9 years but I first started music with my piano lessons when I was about 6 (18 years) I've tried to play many instruments, but nothing compares with my harp! My dream is to one day play in an orchestra, but I haven't really had much formal training, so I think it may remain a dream, but I'll still work at it! Another hindrence, I only have a non-pedal harp, as the orchestral ones are very expensive!

Miss Darcy: Same question for your violin, and what kind of music is your favorite to play? Another Q: What are your favorite things to do with your mom? I miss having cross-stitch sessions with my mom, I live too far away now. :(

AP : Have you ever visited Sutton Hoo?

Baddad and Koa : Have you set a date yet? :p

atiguhya padma
04-07-2005, 11:41 AM
Shea,

Yes I have visited Sutton Hoo (and its relics in the British Museum). Its a remarkable site. I think it was King Raedwald who was supposed to have been buried there in a ceremonial ship. The associated jewellery, the intricate goldwork and the amount of precious stones, is quite amazing. The Anglo-Saxon site is located some distance from the minor road leading out to Bawdsey. The ground is very sandy and the site is bordered by a pine forest on its western side (I think). I went there one Spring morning. The weather was a little chilly and there was a frost on the ground and a bite to the air. It seemed very barren and desolate, and did much to enhance the mood of the site.

If ever you are in the UK I would recommend you visit (that's if you haven't already) Like Stonehenge, Avebury, Calleva Atrebatum or Maiden Castle, the average tourist who expects to see something with a Hollywood blockbuster magnificence, is likely to be disappointed. (Which is just as well, as the crowds would be intolerable!:) ) I might add that Suffolk is also a very lovely county.

Taliesin
04-07-2005, 01:02 PM
Taliesin: What inspired your using that username?

Well, it started, when a witch (We think that she was called Ceridwen) wanted us to toil at some sort of cauldron. Stirring and stirring all the day long, well it was actually a half-time job since we had to go to school in the morning (advice to you: never go to school and work at the same time, it is bloody tiring), but it was nevertheless boring. Well, we stirred on workday evenings for what - three years (in our opinion the witch was slightly mad, or actually insane, but well, money doesn't stink) and then she told us that she was testing a new, probably radioactive brew for her son (Why didn't she tell us before!? You know, workers have rights too. But no. You know We may never had any children because of that ) Well, we got a shock and the thing with what we stirred it suddenly fell out of our hands. We tried to recatch it, but we just burnt our fingers. And well, to make matters worse, we put our fingers to our mouth (we mean, it was friggin radioactive!!) and then, bang, we suddenly knew everything (the other possiblility was that we went mad, but we do not believe it) Well, then we turned into various animals though possibly they were hallucinations and then she ate us when we were in a form of a grain of rye and then gave birth to us (does this thing sound freudian to you?) and then she put our casket in water for she didn't want to kill us (man, we're handsome) . And then a fisherman pulled us out of water with his nets. And since our brow shone (probably something to so with radioactivity again) he called us tal iesin which means "shining brow" in Welsh which means that we probably drifted quite a long way. Anyway, then after some years, we returned to Estonia.
We hope that this answers your question.

lhaeber
04-07-2005, 01:22 PM
Helga;

I asked, 'cause of where you live. I have dreams of relocating to another part of the world when I am old enough (retirement I mean) and I have to pick an environment which will compliment my blue hair and deeply recessing wrinkles. It has to be spider free though, for I fear the little beasts, would rather run up against a pittbull...

Stan: Do you have any miniature trains or do you collect them?

Shea
04-07-2005, 02:58 PM
AP, I'll hopefully be going to England for 2 or 3 weeks this summer. My university sponsers the trip there to study at Cambridge. The courses I'll be taking are 2 weeks long, but if we can afford it I'd like to come a week early so that I can do some touring. I'm particularly interested in Sutton Hoo because of my new-found love of Anglo-Saxon literature. Too bad I have to go in the summer though. Your early spring description sounded wonderful!

Ihaeber, don't retire to Florida. We've got tons of spiders and all kinds of other crawly things. Right now it the time of year where you hear nothing but ads for fire ant killers. Our only consolation is that we also have many cute frogs and lizards to counter them.

Taliesin : what do you do for a living, really? You've got a wonderful imagination!

Helga
04-07-2005, 03:08 PM
[QUOTE=lhaeber]Helga;

I asked, 'cause of where you live. I have dreams of relocating to another part of the world when I am old enough (retirement I mean) and I have to pick an environment which will compliment my blue hair and deeply recessing wrinkles. It has to be spider free though, for I fear the little beasts, would rather run up against a pittbull...
QUOTE]

Ok in that case, I can tell you not to worry, you can lay in the grass without fear. Every atumn people go out and search for berries, THAT is when you find spiders. Sometimes they make webs in the windows but nothing big. This is a good place to live, except if you were thinking about the vasteness of space and time, no bugs or anything there, but it's not the best place to spend your time...

subterranean
04-07-2005, 08:26 PM
Yes, Darcy I'm aware that Kenny is not actually dead. But I just don't like that episode, in general, I don't like a story about someone died at a very young age..:(

Sub: What do you like doing most in your spare time

Well I think other people I guess, hang out with friends, going to bookstore and/or record store, go to museums (though I have visited them hundreds of times), sometimes I take pictures, go to movies, or just stay at home playing The Sims or watching TV :D..Nothing particular about my life ;)

Darcy : Do you have bros or sis?

baddad : how many kids you got?

mono
04-07-2005, 08:44 PM
Mono: Is your self described idealism something fundamental to your 'SELF', something innate that you feel in your core/soul, something that wells up from within naturally, or is it a response on your part to perspectives/experiences empirical to you?
Good question, as I wonder the same thing, myself. The impression of what seems 'best' for the world proves entirely subjective, which, I think, obviously, relates to much worldwide and local violence. I could never, by any means, find myself as a politician or political philosopher, but my often utopian and idealistic thoughts I have (I admit, fully) truly exist within myself, and usually disagree with others' views, mine seeming (I admit again) far from possible, as one can never convince the world to act more reverential and understanding.
I very strongly emphasize that my ideas have also come from experience, but nothing very empirical besides the chaos of war, racism, sexism, etc., of which we all, I feel sure, have knowledge. I cannot call myself the most reverential to others, but I certainly attempt it, acting through my own morals, and never forcing my views.
So, to summarize my answer to your question: my morals both originate from my own 'self,' and other 'selves' - in essence, nature AND nurture, but probably more so nature, always having the drive to promote peace.

Mono: What's your favourite Hubble photo?
Tough question, as I cannot say that I love astronomy and physics as much as biology and chemistry, but I still enjoy studying it. Besides the two pictures of my avatar and profile picture, I researched other pictures I remember seeing as especially alluring:
http://www.resa.net/nasa/images/comet/impacts%20hubble.jpg
http://astro.unl.edu/workshops/2004/hubble.jpg
http://home-3.worldonline.nl/~ppsmeets/Deep%20sky/Gas-%20en%20stofnevels/M16Full%201%20hubble.jpg
http://www.klab.caltech.edu/~ma/Hubble.jpg
http://grin.hq.nasa.gov/IMAGES/SMALL/GPN-2000-000876.jpg
Hmm, that question may have inspired a new thread . . . with time. :nod:

Scheherazade: did you have the idea for the new 'Games' sub-forum? Just curious, as it seems a good renovation.
baddad: in response to your question, do you find human ethics/morals more inherent in nature or nurture of a being? And have you selected a best man for your marriage with Koa? :brow:
Miss_Darcy: being a musician, perhaps being committed to other arts, what do you consider your favorite art, and why?

baddad
04-08-2005, 02:06 AM
SUB: I have three children, one biological, two that I married and love equally. But I started as a very young man, I was 18 years old when my son was born. I was only 37 when two of my kids were graduating high school, and the youngest (now 26yrs old) was running away from home to join the Hollywood movie set! My babies are quite OLD now, 29,29, and 26years old. They love me, I love them, and all my ex-wives love all of us..........

MONO: Insightful answer to my question....it is of course critical that we try to understand ourselves ere we misunderstand everything else. But to answer your question.......I believe that my nature has always been what it is so flagrantly today (although the patrarchial world I live in has influenced me to hide behind a macho facade during many periods) and that is a kind of 'hippie-peacenik-we-are-all-brothers-and-we-are-one-with-each-other-and-one-the-universe' idealistic flower child persona. I have been less than moral at times during my life, I have been distinctly BAD at other times, but my nature is one of peace and harmony. I am reverting back to my true 'self' now that my only responsibility is myself, and I have no pressure to conform to anything, and no reasons to do so. Also, I simply cannot exist without constant interaction with Mother Nature (I'm a Taurus), I'm 'Earthy', always have been (Stress relief? All I gotta do is go out-of-doors for a few minutes and I feel centered). I guess I'm saying that I believe that my nature is dictated by.....nature.....but my own life long attempts at nurture of my 'self' definately exacerbates the genetic predisposition. I consider myself licky..... .ahem....LUCKY.....to be inherently gentle at heart and mind.

Bottom line? IMHO....nature carries more clout than nurture for most of us.

......Peace brother....

Scheherazade
04-08-2005, 02:36 AM
Scheherazade: did you have the idea for the new 'Games' sub-forum? Just curious, as it seems a good renovation.
Thank you, mono. Yes, it was my suggestion to have a separate Games sub forum, hoping that it would make it easier to keep a track of the threads and the Admin, very kindly, agreed to set it up. And Voila! :)

baddad
04-08-2005, 03:22 AM
Thanks for the idea Sher. Easier to find some of my fave's now......wheeeeeeee.....

Molko
04-08-2005, 04:23 AM
Molko: I recall reading you lived in Queensland...what's the weather like over there? Raining at all?

lol, I think you got confused between me and Adleheid. I live in Adelaide...and the weather has been very strange...

Miss Darcy
04-08-2005, 06:19 AM
Originally Posted by Miss Darcy

---

lol, I think you got confused between me and Adleheid. I live in Adelaide...and the weather has been very strange...

Well there you go, though I would have sworn you said something about bananas which made me think of Coffs Harbour...never mind...it must be connected with my miniskirt. ;) Heh, you could start a club, I already know 3 people from Adelaide...

And Scher, sorry for not asking you anything yet (and the same to anybody else I may have forgotten), I...forgot. But I also agree that the Games sub-forum is a great idea!

Miss_Darcy: being a musician, perhaps being committed to other arts, what do you consider your favorite art, and why?

Well, I must say music, though writing is closely companionable to it (don't ask why I chose that particular word, just sounds good...); it's my favourite because, I think, out of all the arts it "comes closest to expressing the inexpressible", as Aldous Huxley puts it. And of course, also due to the fact as music is the art I have the most connection with...I used to draw a lot as well, but lately I haven't had much time...

Darcy : Do you have bros or sis?

None except fictional ones. When I was little I used to want a sister rather desperately, now that I'm older I'm more inclined towards elder brothers...the good thing about these siblings is they can very easily be disposed of! :D - The brothers usually turn out in my fiction, so I get very close to them. ;)

You play the Sims? *Rubs hands excitedly* Well to confess the truth I don't any more, don't have time, but I always used to be rather addicted. Have you played the Sims 2? It's so much better...or I found it so...anyway...:D

Oh and Taliesin, thanks for the lovely explanation of your name. I have heard the story before, but having it told by the very person is an honour that no time can tear from my memory. ;)

Miss Darcy: Same question for your violin, and what kind of music is your favorite to play? Another Q: What are your favorite things to do with your mom? I miss having cross-stitch sessions with my mom, I live too far away now.

Well, I've been playing 7 and a 1/2 years, which is not so much in comparison to some Suzukilites who start at two or three. My favourite music I play is...the only music I play, classical music, but in that area, well, I really like everything, especially fast pieces, and slow pieces...there aren't really in-between pieces, the pieces marked "moderato" usually end up being played either rather fast or rather slow. I love violin concertos, such as the Mendelssohn and the Mozart's and oh the Bruch and the Tchaikovsky (the last is on the to-learn list, not actually learning it yet).

Sorry guys all my questions will have to be later I just have to go now! - Sorry if I missed out on any answers, I could only skim through, remind me if I have...

Darcy

Taliesin
04-08-2005, 07:55 AM
Taliesin : what do you do for a living, really? You've got a wonderful imagination!
Thank you.
Actually, we do nothing. And nobody thinks that it is wrong or strange.
The joys of being sixteen.

Isagel
04-08-2005, 08:09 AM
Isagel: where have you gone, and have you recovered well?

Thanks for asking. I´m recovering well. The last surgery has been postponed, so I´ll probably have it done in may. Recently I have been resting and trying to catch up on work. I just did not have the energy to write on the forum. But I have been reading.

AP - what does a financial controller do?

Shea - I know you had some trouble because of a storm, did it all work out well?

Mono - have you worked at a hospital during your studies? (in Sweden we have something called practical periods during studying, I do not know what you call them)

Amuse - is your hair red? For some reason I always thought that your hair is dyed in a dark ruby red colour. I have no idea why I think so.

atiguhya padma
04-08-2005, 08:20 AM
Isagel: I wish I knew. :) Truth is, I'm no longer an FC (I was only ever one in name anyway, my role certainly wasn't that of a traditional FC). I think FC's are like a company's bank manager, more or less, I think, who knows?.

atiguhya padma
04-08-2005, 09:41 AM
Dyrwen: What would it take for you to believe in God?

Crisaor: What would it take for you to be an atheist?

Jay
04-08-2005, 04:07 PM
Oh, sorry for the delay, didn't notice

Camper, tell us something new in your life ;)
I'm most probably (90%) gonna be an auntie :D

Jay: What part of the Czech Republic do you live in? If you go to university, which one do you go to?
I live in Liberec, a little hole in the North of the rep, near German/Polish border, going to uni in Brno, second largest city/town in the rep, it's called Masaryk University in Brno (Masaryk was the first Czechoslovakian president, from 1918... blahblah, if you're interested, looky here (http://www.firstworldwar.com/bio/masaryk.htm))
uni website (www.muni.cz)

Koa
04-08-2005, 04:21 PM
I had thought of a question for someone, but I forgot what it was and for whom... :confused:

Quote:
I remind you that I'm against marriage so that's purely for forum fun

Even in virtuall world? . Koa, why? If I may ask

Was the 'why' about the marriage thing? As in, why am I against it? Uhm well, first of all I don't believe in eternal love so that destroys the basis of it... Secondly, I am not religious so I dont see the uitlity of a religious marriage, nor of a legal one, except for the practical things like it makes it safer ecnomoically if there is a divorce and such, I'm told... That doesn't mean that I dotn think people should marry, as long as they're happy with it I'm fine, just I don't see the point. And then people always tell me that I'll change my mind and such but I say damn, this is what I think NOW, if in 10 years I'll change my mind that's fair enough. (the funniest is 'you talk like this now then you'll be the first one to marry... LOL I'm still hopelessly single, it's not hard to prove them wrong :D)

I think there was another question for me but I cant find it anymore...

By the way now I'm in doubt...maybe I should have stalked AP cos he's English... or even baddad's 'kids' descriptions sound interesting... Wow, this should be called Bridget-Jones-syndrome... :D

Miss Darcy, i saw you study Czech! How lovely! Why did you choose that? I wish I could study it too (I once tried by myself but my great constance made me gave up after a few words :D). And so, you're still at school? I thought you were older! What a great selection of studies you have though!:)

Koa
04-08-2005, 04:25 PM
btw Sub, do you like the Simpsons? :D Or do you prefer South Park? And isn't the weather in indonesia sticky and humid? And is it ever cold? And you have the season of rain I guess...and is Jakarta on the sea? (ok I could look at a map for that...) And how are the people there? I mean is life very different from Europe or UK in yuor opinion? And have you ever travelled around the world, especially out of Asia, and where and why and what and how etc?

And why is the forum so slow tonight? tell me tell me :D

crisaor
04-08-2005, 04:32 PM
crisaor: do you study much philosophy, and, if so, any particulars?
No. In fact, I haven't studied philosophy per se since high school. I have read some philosophy book occasionally in the last time, but it's not my usual thing. I like Schopenhauer particularly, he doesn't strike me as the usual philosopher, he just lays his thoughts in an open, clear manner, without any false pretenses or aspirations. I like Hume too, a brilliant man, wise in many subjects. There are others, but those two are the ones I like better, although I don't necessarily agree to all their opinions (which is particularly relevant to the first one).
What about you mono? Are you into philosophy? What authors do you like?

I asked because, well, IMO, I think you'd unlikely join the discussion again, coz of that thingy....well, you know what I'm referring to..
Actually, I'm not sure. I can think of many thingies connected to this particular issue... Your general idea is right, however, it is unlikely. But I impose no restrictions on myself regarding this matter. If I felt like it, I'd have no trouble in joining the discussion.

Cris, I can put The Doors on number 3, but I can't decide which one in the 1st or 2nd place..
That may have been an unfair question, it's hard to decide between such great bands. I was just being curious. :D Anyway, is there any band you like above those two? (I know, I keep insisting... ;) )

Crisaor, are you a party kind of person?
Not really, no.

I don't know. I don't think that's a likely scenario...

mono
04-09-2005, 01:00 AM
What about you mono? Are you into philosophy? What authors do you like?
I have taken only a few philosophy courses in college, but enjoyed them very much; otherwise, I study some philosophy on my own. I also love reading Arthur Schopenhauer and David Hume, but others include Immanuel Kant, Buddha, Ralph Waldo Emerson (obviously, according to my avatar), John Stuart Mill, Plato, Aristotle, Rene Descartes, Lucretius, Democritus, Friedrich Nietzsche, George Berkeley, Pythagoras, Cicero, Lao Tzu, Confucius, John Locke, and Thomas Hobbes.

Koa: do you intend to travel more in the future, distant or near?
amuse: what inspires you MOST to write? And, in terms of other arts, besides poetry, what art do you admire most?
baddad and atiguhya_padma: out of all of the places you have travelled, where have you enjoyed it most, and why?
Miss_Darcy: do any other members of your family play instruments or have such a passion for music as you do?
subterranean: provided you could play any instrument you wanted, what band would you join (dead or alive), and why?

subterranean
04-09-2005, 01:23 AM
Yes D'arcy, I play Sims2 as well, was an addict of Sims back in college..
How I miss the old days of my life :)

And my Q for you, You seems like an active and talkative kind of person, do you have many friends?

POSTED BY CAMPER : I'm most probably (90%) gonna be an auntie

Seriously...well, Congratulations....Now you really need to work on that bad habbits to be a good auntie ;) :D

POSTED BY BADDAD: SUB: I have three children, one biological, two that I married and love equally. But I started as a very young man, I was 18 years old when my son was born. I was only 37 when two of my kids were graduating high school, and the youngest (now 26yrs old) was running away from home to join the Hollywood movie set! My babies are quite OLD now, 29,29, and 26years old. They love me, I love them, and all my ex-wives love all of us..........

Being a parent sounds insteresting...

POSTED BY AP:

Dyrwen: What would it take for you to believe in God?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm sorry, but I found that funny...I'm sorry...:)

AP, what would it take you to be a Christian? :)

POSTED BY CRIS: No. In fact, I haven't studied philosophy per se since high school. I have read some philosophy book occasionally in the last time, but it's not my usual thing. I like Schopenhauer particularly, he doesn't strike me as the usual philosopher, he just lays his thoughts in an open, clear manner, without any false pretenses or aspirations. I like Hume too, a brilliant man, wise in many subjects. There are others, but those two are the ones I like better, although I don't necessarily agree to all their opinions (which is particularly relevant to the first one).

I think Cris is blessed with great memorry. He just need to read it, maybe few times, while many others have to study it to understand...

Anyway, is there any band you like above those two?
Let see....well maybe if i have a bf who plays/sings in a band, I'd tell him that his band is the greatest band ever....for the sake of love of course...

What is your most fav band/singer Cris? And would you dressed up like Marlyn Manson?

POSTED BY KOA: btw Sub, do you like the Simpsons? Or do you prefer South Park? And isn't the weather in indonesia sticky and humid? And is it ever cold? And you have the season of rain I guess...and is Jakarta on the sea? (ok I could look at a map for that...) And how are the people there? I mean is life very different from Europe or UK in yuor opinion? And have you ever travelled around the world, especially out of Asia, and where and why and what and how etc?

South Park is cleverer than The Simpson in a way...both of them are my favs though..
The weather: humid in rainy season but in dry season, it's very ..well, dry :)
Is it ever cold? yes, in rainy season...And Yes we have 2 seasons, dry and rainy..no winter, summer, spring, or autum...jusr dry and rainy...Jakarta is located by the sea...not a very nice sea though..
The people: well the people in gerenal is nice I suppose, we have some norms and habbits which the Westerners might think silly or irrational...the criminal rate is very high though..but I guess you find that in many megapolitan cities in the world.
Around the world? Nope, I only did some domestic travels..

Miss Darcy
04-09-2005, 03:21 AM
I live in Liberec, a little hole in the North of the rep, near German/Polish border, going to uni in Brno, second largest city/town in the rep, it's called Masaryk University in Brno

You're kidding! We've been there...year 2000, if my memory is correct. I remember we went to the zoo, and the flamingos stood so still they almost looked artificial...actually, when I showed a photo to one of my friends, she thought it was made of plastic...lol...I really liked Liberec, from what I remember...and they had a "Swan Lake" as well (in the zoo)...

This time I'm sandwiching my questions in between my answers so I don't run out of time again, so:

Jay: Have you ever been to Stará Ostrá? We went there last time, it was really good even though it was cold and overcast. It's a little specially-constructed medieval village not very far from Ostrá, where you can see all these medieval-clothed people at work, stone-carving, making pottery, wood-carving, and other things like that...and you can do stuff as well, if you pay. I really liked the Guild Hall, though there were lots of flies around because of the sweet drinks...we ate on plates made of circles of tree trunk...Have you ever seen those Botanicus products in the store? (There's a Botanicus shop in the centre with Tesco just out of Prague) Well, Botanicus owns this thing. They also have large herbal gardens just outside the village.

Oh, and another question, what exactly are you studying? :)

You seems like an active and talkative kind of person, do you have many friends?

Many have told me so (that I sound like a talkative person) on the internet...and yet the truth is that in real life I'm somewhat introverted, and somewhat awkward with people I don't know. I can be (used to be) a bit of a chatterbox with people I do know, of course...and yes, I do have quite a few friends, though considering I homeschool you might think I'd have almost nil. Some I know from childhood, and others from orchestra and Suzuki workshops/conferences, and yet one other whom I have retained since a very brief period at school.

Sub: I've just been wondering...what's your religion, if you have one...is it Christianity, or...? (excuse the confused phrases, when I'm confused I tend to use them like that ;))

Miss_Darcy: do any other members of your family play instruments or have such a passion for music as you do?

Well, on my mum's side, I have an great-aunt (or something of that kind) who used to be a very active musician (I think she played both the violin and the piano); she gave me a rare original copy of Beethoven's signature once, she's really nice. Then there's another great-aunt-or-something-of-the-kind who sells(/ed?) tickets for the Prague National Theatre. On my dad's side I have a cousin who's been through Conservatorium (in Brisbane) playing the tuba and used to be a compere on the ABC Classical radio station.

Mono: Who's your favourite author and why?

Shea, I just remembered I forgot to answer your question about what I usually do with my mum...and my answer is...everything. She teaches me, we go for walks together, we talk, we go shopping together....:)

As to your Q, what do you usually do in your spare time? (Nothing original due to time pressure, sorry ;))

Miss Darcy, i saw you study Czech! How lovely! Why did you choose that? I wish I could study it too (I once tried by myself but my great constance made me gave up after a few words ). And so, you're still at school? I thought you were older! What a great selection of studies you have though!

Well, I've spoken Czech ever since I was small, learning from a natural environment, and lately we found out that there's a HSC course for Czech which is closing after this year, so we thought I might try it. It'll be handy to learn the written/grammatical side a bit more in depth in case I ever end up living there. It's still not certain, though...

Koa, what's it like living in Italy, and Verona to add to that?!

Must be off, these posts always take longer than I intend them to...:D

Miss Darcy

Koa
04-09-2005, 08:11 AM
Koa: do you intend to travel more in the future, distant or near?

Absolutely yes! I think I'd be seriously depressed if it wasn't in my plans to leave this place as soon as possible...I came back from Hungary thinking 'come on, you won't have to stay home for more than 6 months if everything goes right'. I applied for a sort of teaching job in England for next schoolyear (I'm not so interested in teaching, I just want to live in England and have a job), I don't stand a chance cos there are 24 places for that and it was on a national basis... Argh. If that doesn't work, the plan B is Russia... If I go to England, I should try Russia during the summer...or if it's not Russia, it will be France or Germany or Hungary again, in every case for language-improving purposes (and there are good cheap study-holidays offered by my Uni in France, Germany and Spain). In the meantime I also plan to graduate around October... I'm crazy, I have too many plans and it's impossible to fit them all.

Koa, what's it like living in Italy, and Verona to add to that?!

I apologise for those who heard this million of times... I hate to live here. I don't feel part of the Italian mentality in many cases, and Verona is a horribly posh narrow-minded city. I thought it was me who couldn't fit with humanity, now I know I'm just int he wrong place... Many times I've heard people from other cities saying bad things about Verona, now I realise where these opinions come from. People here only judge, one of the main Italian sports is to put your noce in other people's business... Individuality here is a negative thing, I'm often criticised for going my own way not following the mass, doing something on your own is weird especially if you're a woman... Italy is nothing but a medieval country with a beautiful landscape...
In a way I am proud of my Italian culture, my language and literature and history... But I really don't share the views of the mass here.
As for the cities, well I used to love Verona for its beauty, but after Hungary it started to irritate me...even the builidngs seem to say 'look at how majestic we are', like they were showing off...I'm actually getting used to this city again so that might just have been the shock of the return. As I said somewhere else, even the most stupid tiny Italian city has some wonderful spots, and that's quite interesting... But it doesn't make up for the rest, it won't make me spend all my life here.
Rant over. I apologise again.

Hey Jay, I just found out that your Uni is in Brno (Bruno for those who can't prononuce it, as my friends named it :D)! I thought it was in Liberec! So are you living out of home during the week, in a flat or a drom or something?

Miss darcy, I might have missed something...so are you of Czech origin?

Shea, you said in another thread that at some point you were 'pretending' to be catholic to please your family... But from what I know about you, if I'm not wrong you are rather religious: does that mean you started feeling religious later, or that you are not catholic but something else? Just curious...

Koa
04-09-2005, 08:14 AM
South Park is cleverer than The Simpson in a way...both of them are my favs though..

Oh...I prefer the Simpsons by far. I really don't like South Park infact, but I saw 1 or 2 episodes I actually liked. Maybe also because they were in original, the ones I saw that made me hate it were maybe losing something cos of the trnaslation.... Nothing can beat the Simpsons for me though. :)

Jay
04-09-2005, 10:13 AM
Darcy: That's cool, hehe, the flamingos are still standing there doing nothing ;), the swan lake is still there as well, even have three black swans ;). Did 'we' have white tigers in the zoo back in 2000 already? lol, can't remember. The zoo's recontruscted, looks better.
You speak Czech? You do? hehe, any questions, feel free to ask ;)
Nope, I haven't been to Stará Ostrá.
I'm studying... big surprise ;), English language and Literature

Koa: I live in dorms, I'm going back home usually every other weekend

Koa
04-09-2005, 02:59 PM
Oh cool, well how is it to live in a dorm? I don't know why but it fascinates me...I don't know, it's sort of an experience I feel I'd like to try. (like e lot of Italian students I live with my family and go to uni in my city...Of those to move, most of them rent a flat cos there are almost no dorms at all in Italy...I often wish I could start again and afford to go do all of my studies abroad, I dont like the system here.)

Jay
04-09-2005, 04:03 PM
You didn't live in dorms when you were in Hungary?

mono
04-09-2005, 06:13 PM
Mono: Who's your favourite author and why?

I would love to answer that question with ease. :lol:
Hmm, perhaps if I split some categories, I could answer your question more thoroughly:
Fiction: D.H. Lawrence (for his insightfulness and inspiring intuition), Virginia Woolf (for her randomness and often provoking thought), J.D. Salinger (for his metaphors and works that require deep thought), Emily Brontë (for her revolutionizing of story formation and ethical dilemmas), and Fyodor Dostoevsky (also for his thought-provoking and ethical writings).

Non-fiction: (see my response to crisaor's question of my favorite philosophers), and I want to include Dag Hammarskjöld, Havelock Ellis, C.S. Lewis, T.S. Eliot, James Carse, James Woodruff, and Virginia Woolf (for being merely greatly inspiring), and Robert Anton Wilson (for his extreme controversy).

Poetry: Dante Alighieri, John Milton, and William Shakespeare (just because), D.H. Lawrence again (for his perception of aesthetics and free thought), Emily Dickinson (for her unique expression), E.E. Cummings (same reason), Ralph Waldo Emerson, Henry David Thoreau, and William Ellery Channing (all for their transcendentalism), Sylvia Plath (for her randomness and deep thought), Rumi (for his spiritualism), John Keats, Samuel Taylor Coleridge, and Percy Bysshe Shelley (just because I love romanticism), and Robert Browning and Elizabeth Barrett-Browning (for their contributions as the most romantic, in my opinion).

Plays: Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (for his profound wisdom, in general), William Shakespeare (just because), Sophocles, Euripides, Virgil, Homer, and the anonymous writer of Beowulf (for merely being classics and inspiring all later generations), and Heinrich von Kleist (mostly for his dark comedies).
Whew! :)

Miss Darcy: you briefly mentioned that you write sporadically, what do you write - poetry, fiction, essays, plays? And, a second question, what do you find as the most touching piece of music? (I would have to choose Samuel Barber's Adagio)
Koa: thinking of writing, just out of curiosity, do you write at all?
Scheherazade: did you always desire the occupation of a college instructor?

Miss Darcy
04-09-2005, 11:18 PM
Mono, you have a very interesting selection of favourite authors...a few of whom I haven't read and yet esteem...and others whom I have read (er...Shakespeare, Shelley, Emily Bronte, etc.) and love...I'm looking forward to expanding my have-read list to be as versatile as yours.

Miss Darcy: you briefly mentioned that you write sporadically, what do you write - poetry, fiction, essays, plays? And, a second question, what do you find as the most touching piece of music? (I would have to choose Samuel Barber's Adagio)

What do I write...poetry, fiction, essays, plays. :D Well obviously not all at once, but I have experimented with all those genres at some time of my life (well, ever since I have been able to write). Mainly fiction and poetry, though. The "play" part really has to be very vague, as I have only written a screenplay (based on the parable "The Wooden Sword") which itself is very vaguely in the definition of "screenplay", as at the time of my writing it I had never read a screenplay before and had no idea about how to write one. So it turned into a sort of "play for the screen", basically.

As to music...most touching...oph, that's difficult. There are many examples of extremely touching classical music, and you have named one of them. I think I'd be choosing between Meditation from Thais (Massenet), some of Chopin's Nocturnes (the B Flat and C Sharp Minor especially) and Preludes (the B Minor especially)...Andante from Mendelssohn's Concerto in E Minor...I repeat, that's really difficult...also, the profound simplicity of Bach's Cello Suites...I give up. I wouldn't be able to name you the piece of music I consider most touching any more than you could your one favourite author (or I, for that matter).

And as to a question for you, I'm feeling philosophical right now...so...

Mono: Do you think there is a meaning in life, or for that matter, in anything? If so, what? (I know that's very bland, just asking like that, as there was nothing more to it than a question in an English workbook analysing a text...) And also, what do you think lies outside the Universe, if indeed anything? Very ambiguous question, I know, but you can interpret it in any way you like.

Darcy: That's cool, hehe, the flamingos are still standing there doing nothing , the swan lake is still there as well, even have three black swans . Did 'we' have white tigers in the zoo back in 2000 already? lol, can't remember. The zoo's recontruscted, looks better.
You speak Czech? You do? hehe, any questions, feel free to ask
Nope, I haven't been to Stará Ostrá.
I'm studying... big surprise , English language and Literature.

I think there were white tigers then, I'm not absolutely sure. I think there was some particular tiger propaganda going on, though, because I bought myself a (normal Bengal) tiger figurine as a souvenir. I still have it...somewhere...:D

English Lit & Language? Cool...if I went to Uni(versity), I'd want to study that too, probably minus the Language part. ;) But I think I'd want to go to Con(servatorium) first...

Jay: What do you plan on doing when you leave Uni?

Miss darcy, I might have missed something...so are you of Czech origin?

Lol, I forget that not every single person has read my every single post. :D Yeah, my mum's Czech, dad's Aussie though, and I was born in Australia. We go over there every...oh...two years, or so, to visit family and we usually make a little tour of the rest of Europe as well. I consider the Czech Republic as a second home...I'm fixed in that awkward position of being homesick while in Australia and homesick while I'm over there as well...but seeing as we do travel a fair bit it's not so intense.

In a way I am proud of my Italian culture, my language and literature and history... But I really don't share the views of the mass here.

Who wouldn't be proud...it was in Italy that they had the very first proper university. In Salerno, I think it was...and as to not sharing the views of the mass, well, neither do I, I think the only people who share views with the mass are part of the mass themselves. If you get me. It's certainly a beautiful country, though...from what I've seen of it, I loved it. You should travel some more, say, to Australia, then you'll be glad you live in Italy. Not to say that Australia is bad, or indeed isn't good, but it's...not Italy. :D You know, the mass media, mass opinion here is really strong and there are really few individuals who don't fit in with it. I suppose it's a bit like that almost everywhere. *Muses*

Koa: Is there a Verona dialect of Italian? I mean, anything different from standard Italian? I'm learning (*cough* sort of) Italian (a little :D) and from what I hear (I mean, from what I read...I'm not that good yet ;)) Italian varies greatly...who was it who said that even spaghetti doesn't unite Italians? Well, never mind that...speaking of food, I absolutely love the Italian kitchen; oh pasta, oh pizza (Italian-style, of course...it's unbeatable), oh gelato! Seriously, I've never seen a country with so many gelaterias. Very convenient. :nod: And, on an entirely different note (A# :D) how long did you stay in Hungary?

Now... :confused: ...I'm trying to remember if I asked Scher anything yet or not. Well, I'll solve the problem by asking a question anyway. So...

Scher: What's the weather like over there in England? (Trés originale, I admit it!)

Miss Darcy
For once, not so pressed for time!

mono
04-10-2005, 01:05 AM
Mono: Do you think there is a meaning in life, or for that matter, in anything? If so, what? (I know that's very bland, just asking like that, as there was nothing more to it than a question in an English workbook analysing a text...) And also, what do you think lies outside the Universe, if indeed anything? Very ambiguous question, I know, but you can interpret it in any way you like.
Wow, you seem full of such good questions.
For the first question, I would like to think that a meaning of life exists, even if each life seems so minute and petty compared to the nearly 7 billion people in the world, plus the numbers of other animals and plants. Surely, I question if fate and/or predestination exist, but, in a rather Aristotlean sense, the meaning of life merely seems the pursuing of happiness; in every action, big or small, happiness, I think, results as the aim. For example, why does one attend college? - to, perhaps, get a good education and job, resulting in a better future - one person's idea of happiness. Additionally, for a simple example, why does one eat/drink while hungry/thirsty? - to lengthen life, and relieve the discomfort of hunger/thirst, resulting in contentment.
Though 'happiness,' itself, seems such a general, large aim, I instead question the subjectivity of happiness; what one person labels happiness, another calls misery.
As for the second question, I cannot imagine what, if anything, lies outside the universe; I literally cannot imagine. Indeed, as science has shown, the universe expands at an unknown speed, but one can question: 'what is the universe expanding inside? Does it have a capacity?' especially in terms of what astronomers and physicists call 'black matter.' In an existential sense, as the universe (or what others call a 'multi-verse') expands, its non-existing state, what will exist within minutes or years, does not yet exist, and, surely, no mind can imagine what does not exist (only derivatives of what does exist already, like a rabbit with the hind legs of a kangaroo, and eyes of an eagle). This brings a much larger question, as I believe the popular Latin phrase, 'ex nihilo nihil fit' (out of nothing, nothing comes); with that in mind, does something that exists contain the universe - perhaps fate, time, . . . God, something infinite, as, indeed, the universe seems thought of as 'infinite' itself?

Miss Darcy: same question, as you ask such good ones. :)

Koa
04-10-2005, 03:25 PM
You didn't live in dorms when you were in Hungary?

Nope, we had to rent flats...the first week was actually hell from that point of view: the research of a flat (in the meantime we were staying at a crappy hostel). The city where I was staying didnt have many dorms either so most local students were staying in flats as well.
Still wondering how it's like, Jay (or anyone else)

Koa: thinking of writing, just out of curiosity, do you write at all?

Oh yes: shopping lists, autographs to my fans...and I even take notes at Uni, not to mention I love writing letters...and see how much I write on forums. :D
Jokes aside, have a look at the personal poetry section from the time before you joined...(I see you joined when I left for Hungary, more or less). Basically, I used to write some sort of *coughs* poetry and I've started several short stories without ever getting far cos I completely lack discipline and I'm horribly lazy. I actually finished 3 very short ones some centuries ago and I found out that the floppy where I saved them is not working on this pc (I wanted to save them on cd now)...nevermind, they are still handwritten somewhere, for what matters.
I haven't written anything decent in ages though, and in the past few months I've written very little. Lately I sometimes feel a tiny inspiration coming but I can't catch it. That's another of those moments when I sort of miss my depressions... :eek2: At least they were productive.

Darcy, I see about Czech...It must be interesting to have a double origin and be bilingual, it must be a huge richness.
As for Italy, everybody loves it cos of the reasosn you listed, but I'm not convinced...it's not only that, there is lots of crap around here as well.
As for the dialects...absolutely. As you know, there are many dialects in Italy, and many regional words, I know people from cities that are like 50-100 km from here and we sometimes use different words for the same thing. Our dialects are not too different so we can understand each other if we speak it, but the dialects of the south are totally different from those of the north...I can understand a bit of the southern dialects cos I have relatives in the south, but if you take 2 old people from different sides of Italy they might not understand each other. I read that during the 1st world war there were interpreters in the army cos it was the very first time that Italians from different areas came in contact with each other. And we now all know standard Italian because of the TV, which was what unified the language in the 1960s. I don't speak so much dialect, maybe because I live in the city, cos I see that people from villages speak it much more, they basically use it everyday for normal comunication at least at home (while in my family we mostly speak Italian, except for some expressions or very short dialogues. I don't think i'ever prononunced more than 2 or 3 sentences in dialect in a row). It's a quite interesting side of Italy though.
Btw, I seriously doubt that it was Salerno to have the first Uni... I think it was Bologna, or maybe Padova..but I'm not sure, maybe Paris was first in Europe..I should know but I forgot.

So, darcy, where in Europe have you been? And where in Italy?
Btw, i just looked at your profile just out of curiosity and from how you write I must say that I thought you were much older...(I do underestimate young people, maybe cos I dont realise how old I am and consequently that people that are younger than me are old enough to use their brain. Even my brother (same age as you darcy) is starting to do so ...sometimes :eek:)

Koa
04-10-2005, 03:30 PM
Oh Darcy, and I forgot: I stayed in Hungary for 5 months and a half. Doesn't seem much but it was the first time I lived abroad and it was a very important experience, I probably was stupid to be back at all, but that was to give space to more future experiences. Hopefully.

imthefoolonthehill
04-10-2005, 10:27 PM
"To imthefoolonthehill: what made you first have a keen interest in mathematics?"

I had a teacher I really liked.

My interest deepened as I realized that math is one of the few subjects in which people aren't forcing their opinion on you.

Shea
04-11-2005, 11:00 AM
Shea - I know you had some trouble because of a storm, did it all work out well?

If I'm correct, I believe that you're referring to the hurricanes of last season. ooh boy, talk about stress! And the only thing that happened at our house was a fence section fell down! The anticipation, sitting thru it, and wondering what will happen really plays on your nerves. But really, we were very lucky! Leo and I just went to a wedding this weekend in Ft. Myers where Charlie unexpectedly to a turn to (it was supposed to come straight for us). Its been 8 months and there are still crumbled signs and buildings. I even saw people playing on a golf course that still had uprooted trees everywhere!

It's very good to have you back to the forums when you can be here. Get lots o' rest! But come back as often as you can!

Shea, you said in another thread that at some point you were 'pretending' to be catholic to please your family... But from what I know about you, if I'm not wrong you are rather religious: does that mean you started feeling religious later, or that you are not catholic but something else? Just curious...

It's quite a long story, but I'll try to be brief:
My dad's family are very devout catholics and when my parents divorced (the catholic church considered it annulled), I went to live with my dad. My mom met my step-dad who converted her to christianity and they were married. They then converted my sister and I, but when we tried to tell our Catholic family that we didn't want to be Catholic anymore (I was 12), they threw a fit, and we decided that pushing the issue would probably mean not seeing mom again till we were 18.

I am very religious, and I basically take all my beliefs straight from the Bible. If I can't find it in there, I won't believe it. On the flip side, I also believe in not omitting or ignoring anything from the Bible. I would love to take part in more discussions in the religious text forums, but I had to promise myself that I wouldn't until after I'm done with school, as it takes up quite a lot of my time!

crisaor
04-11-2005, 12:16 PM
I think Cris is blessed with great memorry. He just need to read it, maybe few times, while many others have to study it to understand...
Well, that's not true, but thanks.

What is your most fav band/singer Cris? And would you dressed up like Marlyn Manso n ?
Band, The Beatles, definitely. Singer, I don't know. I guess I'll settle with John just to make it easier. :D
If that MM question includes any type of make-up or fake br easts, then no, I wouldn't (I haven't). I do dress in black most of the time, though.

Koa
04-11-2005, 12:54 PM
It's quite a long story, but I'll try to be brief:
My dad's family are very devout catholics and when my parents divorced (the catholic church considered it annulled), I went to live with my dad. My mom met my step-dad who converted her to christianity and they were married. They then converted my sister and I, but when we tried to tell our Catholic family that we didn't want to be Catholic anymore (I was 12), they threw a fit, and we decided that pushing the issue would probably mean not seeing mom again till we were 18.

I am very religious, and I basically take all my beliefs straight from the Bible. If I can't find it in there, I won't believe it. On the flip side, I also believe in not omitting or ignoring anything from the Bible. I would love to take part in more discussions in the religious text forums, but I had to promise myself that I wouldn't until after I'm done with school, as it takes up quite a lot of my time!

I see...so you are basically a Christian but not following any 'stream'...just doing it your won way? I got confused cos I think I naturally associate religiousness and Bible with catholicism, as it's the main religion here and the one I'm accustomed with. My family is quite religious (catholic) and for years I went to the church every sunday just not to raise polemics...when I gave up I had to quarrel with my mum every sunday and it took me like 3 years to get away with it. Now they just call me an 'atheist' trying to offend me but honestly it's nearer to the truth than most other definitions...
So maybe I'm asking a very big question and you can decide not to reply if it would raise too many issues or it would be too long, but what is it in Catholicism that you disagree with, even remaining religious?

crisaor, shame about the make up :D I love men with black make up on their eyes :D No fake brests though ;)

Scheherazade
04-11-2005, 01:03 PM
No fake brests though ;)
How about real ones? ;)

amuse
04-11-2005, 10:05 PM
Amuse - is your hair red? For some reason I always thought that your hair is dyed in a dark ruby red colour. I have no idea why I think so.
um, i did a bad orange peroxide job about 20 years ago! :D
but no, it's a rich, dark brown, with red highlights in the summertime. mama nature didn't quite get the color you were thinking of, not ruby - i wish - but under the right lighting i have been asked do i color my hair.

amuse: what inspires you MOST to write? And, in terms of other arts, besides poetry, what art do you admire most?
the very most? :) pain. shoving the feelings and memories of my stepmother out of the closet and into the light has been extremely difficult and necessary. i feel much more liberated having written about that - i don't like secrets, especially externally imposed ones.
anything fantastic or horrible, be it love, sex, politics, nature, that defies language- that inspires me.

when things are going well with myself and T-- i don't write well. i mean, it makes me feel ashamed :blush: almost to be sappy. i will write sappy stuff to release that feeling of horror, like, it's okay to be in love and silly, but that's really hard to give myself that sort of permission. :) i appreciate the breakthroughs.

there is a sort of a bone and tendon deep sensation when my world collapses/expands simultaneously into a nothingness/everythingness...then my hands and arms are charged. i've felt that since i was little. i don't feel it a lot, but on the occasions when i type and i feel it, i know i'm in the middle of a poem that works even when i don't know how it'll end.

Music inspires me the most...i like voices and guitars that touch your every soft and yowling, high and low place inside and makes them shine. i love to cry and i love to sing. :D
and i love disco. blame it on the 70's. :p the other stuff inspires but disco makes me happy.

Isagel: how long have you known your best friend? you seem like you would keep friends for a very, very long time. :)

mono: same question, please.

Koa: when are you traveling to the states?

Jay: do you have exams? you've been MIA for over a day!

mono
04-11-2005, 11:44 PM
mono: same question, please.
Like you, amuse, I cannot possibly narrow my inspirations to a few number of select objects or emotions. What inspires me most seems mere inspiration, which comes from, I would like to think, everything - the large, overwhelming emotions of love, down to the small, petty-seeming way that falling leaves once lift imprints in wet pavement (I really did write a poem about this once, actually :D).
For what inspires me MOST to write . . . hmm, I think, seems my conception of infinity and, what I think of as, infinite faculties - most of all love, wisdom, and nature.
Also like you, amuse, other arts definitely lights an inspiration in me, especially music, literature (including others' poetry and plays), and, on occasion, visual arts, like painting, sculptures, and architecture. Rarely, additionally, I will write of, I suppose, more down-to-earth things, like human behavior, childhood, jealousy, politics, and various aspects of science (in symbolism of seemingly mortal beauty), and the like.
If I combined all of my work ever written, however, most of it probably seems devoted entirely to love's expression (I type this with an extra wink at Psyche).

Psyche and baddad: same question - what inspires you MOST to write, or create other art?
amuse: have you written any other material besides your poetry?

shortysweetp
04-11-2005, 11:53 PM
mono- i find it interesting that you like Villette and Jane Eyre most guys i know don't like female authors. why do you like this books?

Psyche
04-12-2005, 12:01 AM
Psyche and baddad: same question - what inspires you MOST to write, or create other art?

For me, the inspiration is always an epiphany. It comes from nowhere and everywhere, is perfectly intangible and when my soul wraps around it, it is allowed to emerge as art.
I am often at a loss for communication, being as we as humans have a very limited vocabulary. (In my opinion) In times of inspiration, the underlying motive is the need for an amplified form of self expression, looking at it backwards, this expression, a representation and mirror, this pure and unadultrated extension of myself is now solid and able to be put on the table for the other senses to soak up and understand on more levels.
My hand was not directed by my rational thought, rather by my will, my unconcious desire, the questions and the buried treasure underneath the question marks.

Helga - What, so far has been you greatest personal acheivement, and how has it changed things for you?

mono
04-12-2005, 12:09 AM
mono- i find it interesting that you like Villette and Jane Eyre most guys i know don't like female authors. why do you like this books?
I cannot label Charlotte Brontë as my absolute favorite female writer (as I actually prefer her sister, Emily), but once taking a college English course of Women's Studies and Women in Literature, I felt especially drawn to read more authors like Virginia Woolf, George Eliot (Mary Anne Evans), Emily Dickinson, Jane Austen, more of the Brontë sisters, and Sylvia Plath.
Two of Charlotte Brontë's novels that you mentioned, Villette and Jane Eyre, I much enjoyed for their gripping plots that weave and turn unpredictably, and that, also, frequently come from a woman's perspective - something rare in the author's time, though, as I alluded, I preferred Emily Brontë's Wuthering Heights more for its originality and twisted storyline, deviating from the common, classic love-story nearly expected of the few female authors of that era.

amuse
04-12-2005, 12:23 AM
amuse: have you written any other material besides your poetry?interesting question...my last year of high school, my english instructor said if i wanted i could probably have a career in writing...i disagree, however. sometimes my prose is great, but only because of a flow in a few parts or isolated phrases. i tried to write a screenplay once called "a separate sanity" and entered some writing in county-wide competitions (high school), but writing anything of length (over 2 pages :D) isn't my forte. i so admire people who can persevere and write pages upon pages and keep one's interest alive.

amuse
04-12-2005, 12:27 AM
mono: when did you begin your first play, and what inspired it? what inspired you to write in the first place?

Psyche: what was your first poem, and do you still have it? what has been the most joyful moment of your life so far?

baddad
04-12-2005, 12:54 AM
baddad: same question - what inspires you MOST to write, or create other art?

Hmmm.....a diffucult question to answer easily.....my creations, my writing, comes forth unbidden, dribbles out of its own accord. Most often I don't even know what I am writing until it is done. I do not sketch a layout. I do not plan my 'attack' on the subjest matter other than to do research. I keep a few notes, and then I begin to type, and whatever is inside me.....comes out.

I had not plannned to attempt to make a living as an artist, a writer, and writing, while enjoyable as a pasttime as a child, had been long off the radar of things to do for fun. But I went through some experiences beginning back in 1992 that caused me to examine certain aspects of my life, and as enlightenment took hold, some amazing things happened. I felt free, freer than ever before in my life. I decided that this freedom could only be maintained in one way, and that I would do my damndest to maintain it. My freedom came from a decision to be completely true to myself at all times, to never ignore that little inner voice that each of us often fights or ignores completely, often much to our dismay. The inner voice is 'self', and self never lies. The form of enlightenment was an ability to intrepret and devine what the self is trying to tell.

Humanity inspires me. People's lives inspire me. The state of the human condition on an individual level inspires me. A complete disrespect for authority inspires me, social issues inspire me to write of the ills caused by the polarization of the haves and have nots in the world. Hemingway, Orwell, Swift, and Pope inspire me.

Poetry is not really my 'thing' yet I hold many poets in high esteem for their wordsmithing abilities, and I draw inspiration from that. And I am a hopeless romantic, I never say die when it comes to the heart, though like everyone else I've had less than stellar success trying to 'live the dream', and poetry satisfies a little piece of that for me.

Music is such an inspiration to me that some songs make me want to dance no matter where I am at the time, some music makes me cry, some music sends shivers down my spine (I love a slow jazzy/blues rendition by a female with a smokey dark voice). But all music, all genres affect me. I truly believe I could not live without some kind of music. I play a guitar to entertain myself, make some rythmic noise, send a few vibes out into the ether. Of all the art forms, music has the most powerful effect on me. I can feel it down to my bones......

I am an intensely sensual person. This term is not sexual in nature (we won't even go there...) Anything tactile draws my attention. I cannot glance across the street at a garden if someone points it out and says, "Oh, look at the beautiful flowers!" Oh,no, not me. I have to cross the street, stick my face right into the flower, take a big sniff, note the colours, the feel etc., and only then am I completely satisfied. My brain, my 'self' will settle for nothing less. I have a compulsion to experience things first-hand, I must smell things, taste things, feel things with my hands, my taste buds, bare toes in the grass or feet upon the oceans sands......this is just the way that this human system works.....and I love it, wish everyone could suffer from the pleasures and compulsions of it.

Beauty inspires me. I an a HUGE fan of nature in all its forms and permutations. People, natural objects, all of the fine arts, music, flowers, women, animals, all these inspire me, drive me to want to explain their tactile effects on the human mind, the human condition. Once, for a period of a year, I lost my appreciation of beauty. I was truly lost, morose, depressed. I could not figure out what was wrong with me. When I finally realized the truth, all I could do was try to wait it out, hope the gift of appreciation would return. This may sound a little weird, but this period was like having my soul inhabit a wasteland, and was quite a frightening time for me. For a person as sensous as myself to lose the ability to 'feel' is a truly a tragedy...

I'd like to throw out a question to the floor, rather than ask a specific person. Yes, NO? Well, I'll do it and see what happens....

How many people reading this thread identify with my comments about the sensousness of our existence. How does your brain process information? Are you one of those people who have to touch something, smell the flower, touch the wet paint in order to gather useful informtion??

baddad
04-12-2005, 01:06 AM
Psyche ... - what inspires you MOST to write, or create other art?

...the need for an amplified form of self expression, looking at it backwards... ... a representation and mirror, this pure and unadultrated extension of myself is now solid and able to be put on the table for the other senses to soak up and understand on more levels.
My hand was not directed by my rational thought, rather by my will, my unconcious desire, the questions and the buried treasure underneath the question marks.

Psyche. Great exposure of self. I feel like you have spoken for so many of us, me...............

Koa
04-12-2005, 04:57 PM
Koa: when are you traveling to the states?

Never :D Let me elaborate...it's not in my priorities. Main reasons: I hate only the thought of having to be on a plane for more than 2 hours. There are many other places that catch my interest first. And honestly and please noone be offended but...I'm not too fond of American accents, I don't know if I could live surrounded by that for long ;) Sorry, I'm British.
Of course if I happen for some reason to have the need/possibility to go there I will end up doing it... But my main interests don't seem to go beyond Europe and Russia at the moment, even if I'd gladly see the whole world (if it wasn't for planes...)

And yes Jay has exams, she said somewhere :D

And amuse, I agree with what you said about pain being inspiring. I think I'm just too...well, not too happy but not depressed enough to write lately. :eek:

As for baddad's question...well, I'm not sure. I have a thing with touching...what's the word...stuff clothes are made of. I often touch my friend's clothes cos I have to feel the texture (? no time for dictionary), I always warn them I'm not a psycho-sex-addict trying to touch them, it's just that i can't help it...And I've happened to be on the bus and there is someone with a great (hopefully fake) furry coat or something...and I dont know them so I'm torturing myself wishing I could touch it... And I adore velvet.
But, it's the opposite with people. I'm not a physical person at all, I need my personal space. I hate to be touched or to have people coming too near when talking. Quite weird for a latin person, I take it as another proof of me being in the wrong place while being a northener in soul. I'm not that fond of all the hugs and kissing habits we have when we greet. There are girls who just touch and jump on boys and use that too flirt...I can't even think of touching someone if it's not needed...

Question for Helga, I'm just very curious about it...is Helga your real name by any chance? Cos I have it in my mind as your real name...well I also imagine you as surrounded by a blue light...:eek2:

Scheherazade
04-12-2005, 05:38 PM
Scheherazade: did you always desire the occupation of a college instructor? In a way, yes. Even though I did other full time jobs, I worked part-time as a teacher as well. I took career aptitute tests 4 times and they always suggested I should become a teacher (90-70%).

Scher: What's the weather like over there in England? (Trés originale, I admit it!)
Mostly cloudy and rainy although we are having a little nicer weather these days. And in the UK, everyone talks about weather or gardening so you are doing quite well! :D

shortysweetp: How do you manage to deal with both family life and studying?

crisaor: Are you a student? What are you studying if yes?

Helga/mono/psyche: If you could change one thing about your lives, what would that be?

papayahed: Are you happy with your decision to move?

shortysweetp
04-12-2005, 06:25 PM
shortysweetp: How do you manage to deal with both family life and studying?

hmm well at first i just went part-time and now that my daughter is a little older i go full-time. i've never really had to study hard so its not too bad. my husband and i arrang our schedules so that one of us is always home with her. somehow i manage to keep good grades. The older I get the better i seem to be at being a mom, wife and student.

subterranean
04-12-2005, 07:50 PM
Band, The Beatles, definitely. Singer, I don't know. I guess I'll settle with John just to make it easier. :D

Apologize, but IMO those lads are overrated :)...And John...Well John doesn't sing too well...Again, I apologize ;)
I thought your most fav is The Cure

If that MM question includes any type of make-up or fake br easts, then no, I wouldn't (I haven't). I do dress in black most of the time, though.

Ok, how bout a little make up like Smith
... Don't Mind the hair...

http://www.pcdome.hu/gallery/article/1059/image2s.jpg

subterranean
04-12-2005, 07:57 PM
Sub: I've just been wondering...what's your religion, if you have one...is it Christianity, or...?

At the moment, I don't belong to any particular religion/belief

subterranean: provided you could play any instrument you wanted, what band would you join (dead or alive), and why?

None, I'd be a solo musician

papayahed
04-13-2005, 12:07 PM
papayahed: Are you happy with your decision to move?

I am happy with my decision to move. I've finally moved into my apartment, so I'm semi-settled, at least for the next 6 months.

I'm not happy that everything seems to be taking forever to get settled. My realtor is dragging his feet, the movers can't come out to even just look at my stuff until the end of the month, and the guy that may rent my condo is dragging his feet so I don't know if I'm selling or renting, not to menmtion next month I'll have 2 house payments..... Oh and I'm not happy that my family keep asking me if I like it here, I suspect they're waiting (hoping) for me to come running home. They like to mention that I don't sound happy when we talk on the phone.

amuse
04-13-2005, 01:22 PM
i know the feeling! that happened when i was in california soooo homesick for philly: "oh, you'll be back. this is your home."

things will all gel; it's a move after all. :)

Jay
04-13-2005, 01:33 PM
What do you plan on doing when you leave Uni?
Leaving the rep actually

do you have exams? you've been MIA for over a day!
One, yeah, Grammar. On Tuesday.
lol, I'm here every day? Really? Geez, I DO need a life other than cyber :p... nah, life's overrated and not particularly fun.

Though... anyone: need a buddy who'd like to be going out for walks with me, haven't been 'exploring' the surrounding area around Brno yet. Any volunteers or I'd need to chose? :angel:

Psyche
04-13-2005, 01:57 PM
Psyche: what was your first poem, and do you still have it? what has been the most joyful moment of your life so far?[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, I have no ideas as to what my first poem may have been, I suspect it was probably written when I was very young, and I liked to write about cats so I am guessing that it's about one of my former critters.
The most hjyful moment of my life so far is a hard question to answer....the first moment that comes to mind is waking up after a few long withdrawal periods, with no medication in my system for the first time since I was put on them. I felt I had found myself agian and that gave me great joy, to be seeing out of my own eyes, and moving my hands without them trembling.

Koa
04-13-2005, 04:21 PM
Ok, how bout a little make up like Smith
... Don't Mind the hair...

http://www.pcdome.hu/gallery/article/1059/image2s.jpg

Oh sub I have that very pic of Robert Smith in my pc and I resized it to make a future avatar of it... If crisaor or any other man around goes for that style of make up, I know who's the next one I'm goign to marry! (where's baddad btw? :D)

Jay I love walking and exploring so I'd be up for a tour of Bruno ;) and surroundings...

Bandini
04-13-2005, 04:22 PM
Hi all,
New to the forum. Interesting to hear about you all. Don't suppose I've really aroused your interest, as I haven't posted much, but how about asking me some questions, so I can guage your responses and see if this is a place for me? If you want to that is!

Can I ask a question please? :

Mono? Can I ask where you hail from? I ask because you have a very idiosyncratic form of writing - I have come across quite a few of YOUR ( just edited it - I drink too much wine at the computer) posts in my brief time here.

Koa
04-13-2005, 04:25 PM
Bandini (hello), I saw you posted and was going to ask if you are new, but you said that yourself already... so you get a real trial now: what do you do in your life? (that is, study, work, whatever...) I see you're from England, cool I hope I'm going to live there someday. How did you find this site? Why did you decide to join? (yeah I know, we are so lovely you couldn't help it) What are your main literary interest? I'll stop for now...:banana:

Bandini
04-13-2005, 06:07 PM
I studied Philosophy at University...did write down what I do now, but don't want to be defined by it - so did a quick delete! Would like to make a living by writing one day - but wouldn't we all? - and the fact I've written nothing for ages makes it pretty unlikely in the forseeable future. Worked in many crummy jobs before getting an edyercashun - I also lived and worked in other European countries. I initially joined a forum that my friend started, but found it a little 'narrow', so googled, looking for a bigger arena. Put in a few key words here and there, which led me to you lot! My tastes are very eclectic - from Bukowski to Lawrence to Arnott to Leanord to Shakespeare to Orwell to... I believe in 'catmas' not 'dogmas' - always looking to learn; erm...very tired, so I'll leave it there for now. Thanks for asking. Can I ask you the same?

papayahed
04-13-2005, 06:20 PM
Question for everybody: How do I make friends in a new city?

kilted exile
04-13-2005, 06:58 PM

I have always found one of the easier ways is to join a club of some sort. For example upon moving to Canada I joined the local soccer/football team, and I still hang out fairly regularly with the people I met there.

subterranean
04-13-2005, 08:34 PM
... If crisaor or any other man around goes for that style of make up, I know who's the next one I'm goign to marry! (where's baddad btw? :D)

Baddad, you know what to do.....:D :D...grab that lipstick ;)

KOA, I think we got something in common...:nod:..Well, it's one of my favs look alike

mono
04-14-2005, 01:36 AM
mono: when did you begin your first play, and what inspired it? what inspired you to write in the first place?
I first began creating the idea, and configuring the plot in my head, perhaps, slightly less than a year ago, and began writing it, if I remember correctly, in September. I had multiple influences, including the specific works of Ovid, Sappho, William Shakespeare, Horace, Immanuel Kant, John Stuart Mill, Jeremy Bentham, Edgar Allan Poe, Heinrich von Kleist, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Fyodor Dostoevsky, and Sophocles; other than various forms of literature, much else inspired me - love (a particular Muse), vastly differing views on spirituality/religion, ideas of reverence (or lack thereof), nurture's corruption of purity, and murder-mystery.

Helga/mono/psyche: If you could change one thing about your lives, what would that be?
Interesting question, especially that I try to avoid regretting any part of my life - the past seeming inevitable, the present nearly non-existent, and the future seeming unpredictable. If I could have changed one thing, however, in the past, I would choose an accident of almost drowning, once upon a time.

Mono? Can I ask where you hail from? I ask because you have a very idiosyncratic form of writing - I have come across quite a few of my posts in my brief time here.
Hello, Bandini, welcome to the forum. I come from my warm, humble abode of Portland, Oregon, in the U.S. - a most remarkable city. :)

Bandini: you mentioned having a great interest in philosophy in a previous post; do you have any favorite sects of philosophy and/or favorite thinkers?
papayahed: what feature of your new city you live in do you enjoy most?

Psyche
04-14-2005, 02:34 AM

Hmmm...so many things come to mind that are so quickly nuked by the fact that I wouldn't have learned as much or gained the life experience, no matter how negative the event/time/thing may have been.
You have truly stumped me. Everything that I would want, would desire to change, if actually altered, I feel would prevent me from empathizing and truly understanding another person who may be going through the same thing.
I suppose the thing that I would change, because I am feeling the effects of it severely right now and it has become quite debilitating, is my endometriosis. I wouldn't go back and erase it, but I would certainly change the dial on the Pain-O-Meter from excruciating to tolerable.

Baddad - what are your dreams like?

baddad
04-14-2005, 02:48 AM
Baddad, you know what to do.....:D :D...grab that lipstick ;)

...............I usually only wear makeup and lipstick after a vigorous all night binge of drinking and killing...........but the hair looks familiar.......

baddad
04-14-2005, 03:38 AM
Baddad - what are your dreams like?

I think my dreams are relatively normal, its the 'awake' me I worry about. Most of my waking life is kind of dream-like, I feel detached from the world around me, I feel safely cocooned in my own little 'bubble' while I flit about exploring and absorbing feelings and experiences. By leaping to and fro into and out of other peoples little bubbles of life, other people's cocoons, I can visit, experience, sense, see, smell,taste, eat, touch, share, and then leave, retreat to my own cocoon to digest what I just experienced..........but I am trying to suck life dry like an orange....experience it all, or as much as time will permit me........

*humming to self* "Sometimes I give myself the.....creeps!"

.......but I digress.......

I keep a dream diary ( a gift from a friend) and record each morning what I remember about the trippy little adventures my brain takes while I sleep. My dreams are quickly forgotten (thus the eyes-just-opened-entries in the diary) but some of my.....nightmares......no, not nightmares, but emotionally potent, often terrifying dreams, find me lurching from sleep at the darkest hours of rest, and leave lingering feelings of anger, abandonment, loss, anxiety..... and I usually take the opportunity (depending on the time zone) to phone a friend somewhere on the planet where it is not 4am.

My dreams are usually full of colour, vivid, lots of little details, there is always someone who (at some point in my life) was/is close to me present(usually female), but they are not always wearing a recognizable facade, not always wearing their usual face. But I discern people by their emotion in my dreams, I 'sense' who they are, feel who they are.

I often find myself, in my dreams, searching for an answer to questions that in my waking state I assume I already know. I often fly in my dreams, I'm hardly ever alone in my dreams, I have on more than one occasion mourned a friend in my dreams (I do, of course, telephone whoever was in the dream to see if they are okay) I can perform magic in some of my dreams, and I'm always me in my dreams.

I went back to my little dream book recently and noticed a pattern had taken place last year. My interpretation is one of a lingering emotional attachment to someone I once loved (still do, but differently). Weird. My Psyche professors say that dreams happen when the brain is bleeding off excess energy as we rest, and possibly the brain is typing and filing all the information it received that day, throwing out the garbage, adding layers to the onion that is our memory......

crisaor
04-14-2005, 11:00 AM
crisaor: Are you a student? What are you studying if yes?
I am. I'm studying economics, and I've returned to italian classes.
What's your favourite story of the Arabian nights?

Apologize, but IMO those lads are overrated ...And John...Well John doesn't sing too well...Again, I apologize
It's alright. I've already used you for target practice, it wouldn't be that fun anymore. ;)

I thought your most fav is The Cure
Not really. I love Disintegration, and I've made myself a compilate CD of some of their other songs, but that's just about it. Unlike other bands I like, The Cure has several abysmal works/albums/songs, and that weights on my consideration, for music band rating, at least. Anyway, I'd go to see them (him?) in a heartbeat if I had the chance.
And no, not even a little make up, it's just not my style. I'm way too good-looking to use it. :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

If crisaor or any other man around goes for that style of make up, I know who's the next one I'm goign to marry! (where's baddad btw? )
I'm sorry, next one??? Is there something you are not telling us Koa? ;)

Stanislaw
04-14-2005, 11:11 AM

Hang out in shopping malls, and pretend to need help looking for something! :D

Isagel
04-14-2005, 01:11 PM
Isagel: how long have you known your best friend? you seem like you would keep friends for a very, very long time. :)

13 years, I think. Most of my close friends are people I met when I was about 17, and lived in a student dorm. And thank you, I´ll take that as a compliment.

Crisaor - you are just afraid of new experiences. Good looking boys look even better in make up.

papayahed: perhaps some kind of evening course or some kind association/ club? There are alot of non-profit organizations that needs members and it´s a good way of meeting people with similar interests.

Koa
04-14-2005, 05:06 PM
I'm sorry, next one??? Is there something you are not telling us Koa? ;)
Not really...ask baddad :D

I promise I'll stop stalking all the men in the forum. :brow:

(but for your info: black make up around the eyes and black nailpolish are the best in a man :D yeah, i watched too many videos)

Bandini
04-14-2005, 05:23 PM
Papayahed - your quote answers your question! Don't try to hard - but you've got to get out there. Hang around in cool bars looking cool :cool: and you'll meet cool people. It doesn't matter if you've never been cool before - nobody knows you! Of course then you've got to stay cool...

Koa
04-14-2005, 06:03 PM
Cool is a relative concept, isn't it? But I think...the least people know you, the coolest you feel :D Or is it just me?

Bandini
04-14-2005, 06:11 PM
It's definitely relative - and completely at your mercy! What the 'thinker thinks the prover proves'. That said, being cool all the time is hard!

subterranean
04-14-2005, 08:20 PM
...............I usually only wear makeup and lipstick after a vigorous all night binge of drinking and killing...........but the hair looks familiar.......

Is that because you are loosing??

It's alright. I've already used you for target practice, it wouldn't be that fun anymore.

What is that suppose to mean?
And why I didn't realize that???
And why you didnt see that I was not being sincere with the sorry...

papayahed
04-15-2005, 09:37 AM
Papayahed - your quote answers your question! Don't try to hard - but you've got to get out there. Hang around in cool bars looking cool :cool: and you'll meet cool people. It doesn't matter if you've never been cool before - nobody knows you! Of course then you've got to stay cool...

But I'm don't want to be cool. I may be too old to be cool, and I may be too old to hang out at the mall also.

Scheherazade
04-15-2005, 09:55 AM
What's your favourite story of the Arabian nights?
I like 'Aladdin'; as a child I desperately wanted to own a lamp with a genie to grant my wishes. However, I like Scheherazade's own story most... I like her ingenuity.

crisaor what will you do when you graduate?

Papayahed> Why don't you visit the local library... You can find out what is going on locally there and attend some events etc. And doing some voluntary work is a good idea, too (I think someone has suggested that).

amuse When did you decide to go back to school? And what were you doing before that?

Taliesin and imthefoolonthehill What are you planning to study at university?

Helga
04-15-2005, 10:27 AM
Helga - What, so far has been you greatest personal acheivement, and how has it changed things for you?

Well, I haven't done much but I think I have to say recognazing and accepting my mental illness and seek help. I am more open now and it's easier to let people know how I feel. I'm not hiding behind a mask and lies anymore.

Bandini
04-15-2005, 10:28 AM
As you said - cool is relative! Surely we all want to be cool really? You don't have to be the Fonz! I was only being glib really - by 'cool' I meant happy with yourself, positive, wearing your favourite togs etc. - thats cool. Plenty of cool old people.

Helga
04-15-2005, 10:30 AM
:eek:

Question for Helga, I'm just very curious about it...is Helga your real name by any chance? Cos I have it in my mind as your real name...well I also imagine you as surrounded by a blue light...:eek2:

yes Helga is my real name, I don't have enough imagination to find a fake one I really like, well maybe AHD but nothing else. I think it's fair to say I am surronded by a blue light, maybe I should have a picture taken of my aura to make shure...

Helga
04-15-2005, 10:34 AM

If I could maka friends esaly or accept critisism without falling apart

Isagel
04-15-2005, 10:51 AM
Bandini - what is togs? And who is Fonz?

Stanislaw
04-15-2005, 11:18 AM
But I'm don't want to be cool. I may be too old to be cool, and I may be too old to hang out at the mall also.

hmmm, how about hobby groups, besides nobodys too old to hang out at the mall, My grampa still does, and he's 90! :D

amuse
04-15-2005, 11:41 AM
Surely we all want to be cool really?i don't. :D wouldn't that be a lot of effort?! and the requirements of cool would change, society being so fickle? ;)

Koa
04-15-2005, 12:08 PM
Bandini, can ask you about your nickname? so, why that nickname? any meaning to it?

papayahed
04-15-2005, 01:27 PM

The Fonz is only the coolest guy ever!! Arthur Fonzerelli from the TV show Happy Days. and togs I believe are cloths?

Stan, your right I could hangout at the mall, but then I'd be tempted to buy stuff...

I'm thinking I'm going to start back to school and find someplace to do volunteer work and that should take up my time. Now all I need to do is find a neighbor or somebody that likes going out for cocktails occasionally and I'll be all set.

Bandini - How old are you?

Stan - with all this talk of marriage, will you virtually marry me? Do you like older women?

Koa
04-15-2005, 04:52 PM
papayahead is actually scaring me...cos i realised that if i somehow end up in england i will have to do the same...find new friends and things to do.... and considering my sociability and organisation skills and so on, i'll probably end up killing myself in loneliness after 3 weeks...and it will take ages to find the body cos noone knows me anyway. :S

isn't it a bit quiet here today?

papayahed
04-15-2005, 05:04 PM
papayahead is actually scaring me...cos i realised that if i somehow end up in england i will have to do the same...find new friends and things to do.... and considering my sociability and organisation skills and so on, i'll probably end up killing myself in loneliness after 3 weeks...and it will take ages to find the body cos noone knows me anyway. :S

isn't it a bit quiet here today?

I didn't mean to scare you, it's really not that bad. I have a few irons in the fire...and I'm not all that social either, except when I have a few cocktails then I'll talk to anybody and everybody.

It is slow here today, but I'm chalking it up to being friday.

Koa
04-15-2005, 05:25 PM
yeah well i wasnt blaming it on you but you made me realise...

yes i thought about that - being friday - too...it's a shame that weekends are quiet here, it's obviously the moment when i have most free time and i happen to be more bored...

Scheherazade
04-15-2005, 05:58 PM

Tog (http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=103726&dict=CALD)

Fonz (http://www.tvland.com/shows/happydays/character2.jhtml)

*edit*
Just realised that Papayahed had already answered the questions...

Koa
04-15-2005, 06:13 PM
I thought everyone in the world knew Fonzie... :)

imthefoolonthehill
04-15-2005, 07:29 PM
imthefoolonthehill What are you planning to study at university?

college girls more than anything...but my stated major is math.

Basil
04-15-2005, 07:29 PM
HONEY BUNNY
Let him go! Let him go! I'll blow
your ****in' head off! I'll kill
ya! I'll kill ya! You're gonna
die, you're gonna ****in' die bad!

JULES
(to Pumpkin)
Tell that ***** to be cool! Say,
***** be cool! Say, ***** be cool!

PUMPKIN
Chill out, honey!

HONEY BUNNY
Let him go!

JULES
(softly)
Tell her it's gonna be okay.

PUMPKIN
I'm gonna be okay.

JULES
Promise her.

PUMPKIN
I promise.

JULES
Tell her to chill.

PUMPKIN
Just chill out.

JULES
What's her name?

PUMPKIN
Yolanda.

JULES
(to Yolanda)
So, we cool Yolanda? We ain't
gonna do anything stupid, are we?

YOLANDA
(crying)
Don't you hurt him.

JULES
Nobody's gonna hurt anybody. We're
gonna be like three Fonzies. And
what' Fonzie like?

No answer

JULES
C'mon Yolanda, what's Fonzie like?

YOLANDA
(through tears, unsure)
He's cool?

JULES
Correct-amundo! And that's what
we're gonna be, we're gonna be
cool.

crisaor
04-15-2005, 07:31 PM
Isagel, thanks for the vote of confidence, but I think I'll pass for the moment. :)

What is that suppose to mean?
And why I didn't realize that???
And why you didnt see that I was not being sincere with the sorry...
I did see it Sub. But I'm a forgiving beetle. :p
For clarification on the other thing, go here (http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1950).

I like 'Aladdin'; as a child I desperately wanted to own a lamp with a genie to grant my wishes. However, I like Scheherazade's own story most... I like her ingenuity.
crisaor what will you do when you graduate?
Ingenuity? I thought Scheherezade's most amazing trait was her cunning, enough to save her life, her sister's, and to make the sultan wiser.
When I graduate, hm, I really don't know. I guess I've never had a definite plan for the future. I'll have to get back to you on this one.

amuse
04-15-2005, 09:46 PM
amuse When did you decide to go back to school?i left at the end of spring '89 and returned in the fall of '01. when i returned to california i knew i wanted to go back to school. it was almost like someone else going through the motions of signing up for placement tests, classes, grants, etc. but then i placed in the highest english course with my english exam; i was so excited (well, considering that i didn't have to take my first year of college english the first time i was just glad that my brain had retained a modicum of scholastic ability) and that made me realize that yes, i was headed back to school. that was a very happy, triumphant day. community's easier than 4-year college at my age because at temple most people my age attend classes at night; at SRJC, there were a great number of re-entry students all day long. it's also a stellar campus, and i didn't want to return to pennsylvania without a marketable skill - managing retail stores made me really frustrated. the icing on the cake was scholarship money - for graduating from a local high school 12 years earlier. that place has so many stellar programs, so many quality instructors, so much alumni money it's not even funny...our planetarium! is better than san francisco's. thank goodness i moved back.

And what were you doing before that?i fell in love during those years. the first time around i was a theatre major; had this notion that i'd go to nyc. well, i got a nanny job - wanted one in the city so i could get the lay of the land, but the closest i found was one in pennsylvania, and the baby's older brother came up 3 months after i'd started work...i'd dreamt about him in california...i fell in love. stayed in love.
after i left my job as his brother's nanny (a title i still hold, as well as the more classic one of "family friend") i moved closer to philly and started taking classes at the wilma theatre in center city. and discovered that although i was good, i no longer cared about the theatre. so i read a lot, engaged in t--'s and my human soap opera (glug! i've had people ask could they write a book/make a movie about us!) wrote some poems...ended up working on south street in philadelphia - shouted for a living - a cheesesteak "joint" from 6 to 3 a.m., met a few celebs, got autographs for my little brother (that was when he still liked me...:)) and commuted somehow to the 'burbs - over an hour. once i woke up, nearly alone in the bus at 7 a.m. and this stranger was bending over me asking for a kiss :eek:!
from there - i was threatened with a knife by a co-worker - he said we'd slept together in the bathroom, and i refuted this, most truthfully thank you, in front of customers, horrors - i left to work out in the country in a supermarket. was offered an upper management position but my old boss on south asked would i work for her at a health food store in a wonderful part of town - bright, flowery, artsy, posh, and i couldn't take the canned muzak so i left. well, we were friends but it was difficult working for her, 'specially as i didn't know
1. how to cook
2. that i was expected to cook!
and
3. her chef tried to fire me when i made satay sauce - it was supposed to be that color!!! - chefs! ah well!
let's see, then - am i writing too much...
i worked at a coffee shop around the corner - had moved back into philly and had fun - let this one band party and danced with the customers, i mean they were a loud band, it didn't make sense to me to constrain them once they were booked, for sheesh sake. that place had plumbing problems and i left in horror after around 6 months. saw the boss years later in california - he'd finally come out of the closet and moved to san francisco...interestingly i'd sent him a postcard once from that fair place on a visit...
from there to a health food store. i must have started to grow up then - age 26 - because i still have tons of friends from that spot. after about a year the head chef left - i worked in the deli - and a racist, inept chick was hired - egads, her food made long-time customers complain at best and leave at worst. so i got a job down the street at another coffee shop, and we were bought out, so i was promoted to co-manager, then transferred and promoted to assistant manager at king of prussia - largest mall on the east coast.
it sounds weird to say it was a promotion, yes, but the thing is king of prussia (http://www.kingofprussiamall.com/tourism/about.htm) is a town on a slow day and a virtual city during the holidays.

hmm. perhaps i should be saving this to word - if my comp crashes no way am i rewriting! ...done

let's see. my boss - she lives across the street from T--'s family, actually - just saw her last weekend :) - left the place after about 18 months. melitta's franchise was purchased by these virtual highway robbers - before the store closed they'd put a number of vendors out of business. a complete and total wench - ***** is more apt - appeared. well, we were completely unhappy with each other, and i went upstairs to work for a friend at sunglass hut. i did wonderfully, made more lasting friends, and ended up managing i think 3 stores between pennsylvania and california - which is where the story ends, because it was with that job that i transferred back to california.

voila! :blush: gawd, that was long-winded!

imthefoolonthehill
04-15-2005, 11:11 PM
i'm not sure if this has been asked before but

amuse: is your name supposed to be read "a muse" as in the mythical creature that provides inspiration and tells storys occasionally...or as a different tensed version of amused?

subterranean
04-16-2005, 01:45 AM
Stan - with all this talk of marriage, will you virtually marry me? Do you like older women?

Oh my....now we know that there are people who got interested personally to other people in this forum.... :lol: :lol: ;)

Is there anybody interested in me???

subterranean
04-16-2005, 01:54 AM
I did see it Sub. But I'm a forgiving beetle. :p
For clarification on the other thing, go here (http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1950).

yeh cris..that old thread where i confessed my interest in backstreet boys :lol:..and where you and the rest were shooting on me..:D

I'm paying more attention to the beatles boys..I'll get back to you when I changed my opinion about them...

Koa
04-17-2005, 08:53 AM
Oh my....now we know that there are people who got interested personally to other people in this forum.... :lol: :lol: ;)

I realised that I'm never going to be faithful cos I love all of them so I'd have to marry a different one everyday... :brow:

Sub, sure there is people interested in you! Now I don't think I could marry you unless it was in the Netherlands :D but am I the only one who often feels so full of forum-love? *sniff*, I'm so pathetic :D

amuse
04-17-2005, 10:00 AM
i'm not sure if this has been asked before but

amuse: is your name supposed to be read "a muse" as in the mythical creature that provides inspiration and tells storys occasionally...or as a different tensed version of amused?
well, at this point it's just a bastardization of azmuse! which are my intials plus a blatant plea for my muse's assistance. :p

as for the either/or, i think it depends on the reader, n'ect ce pas?...or however one correctly spells nestsaypa.

Helga
04-17-2005, 12:54 PM

I am, so are you gonna come to me or?....

Bongitybongbong
04-17-2005, 02:22 PM
Jester and BongityBongBong: where did you both disappear to (perhaps together :brow: )? wow that's weird. I have no idea what happened to jester but I'm apthetic.

Bandini: What is your avatar of?

subterranean
04-17-2005, 08:13 PM
Posted by Koa: Sub, sure there is people interested in you! Now I don't think I could marry you unless it was in the Netherlands

I am, so are you gonna come to me or?....

Thank you ladies..If someday I'll change my mind and preference, You both will be the first 2 people I'd go to ;)

amuse
04-17-2005, 08:27 PM
hey, hey! what about me! :p

seriously,
B: what do you do in your office, how old are you, where did you go to school, what are your hobbies, what do you do in your free time, what food do you like, do you like any particular holidays/festivals most, do you live in a city or outside of one and are you happy?

subterranean
04-18-2005, 05:03 AM
Ok, I'd go to you too Ash...The more the merrier ;)

Answers to your Qs (thanks for asking btw):

what do you do in your office,
-I work as a client coordinator
-how old are you:
I just turned 24 yesterday
-where did you go to school
I went to University of Indonesia, majored in International Relations Studies. Currently studying English for Translation. Back in my first univ, I often saw that students having hard time to get decent translation of foreign texts books. Not only in numbers, but also those books are poorly translated. FYI, there are still many university students who have problem with English.
So I pick this major cause who knows, maybe I can be a translator someday and help out with the text books issues
-what are your hobbies:
reading (ofcourse, otherwise i wont be here), listening to music, go to movies/record stores/bookstores/museum, hang out, browsing the internet, eat (i eat alot you know),write some poems/stories ..I guess nothing too particular about my hobbies
-what do you do in your free time
same as my hobbies i suppose
-what food do you like,
ash, I eat almost everything, but I like some local foods which are too akward to be mentioned
-do you like any particular holidays/festivals most?
I like Christmas, since my family is Christian, I like Chinese New Year celebration, music festivals and that's all I guess..
-do you live in a city or outside of one
I work in Jakrta, the capital city of Indonesia, but I live outside town, which is not too far.
-and are you happy?
with what I have/do/have achieve at the moment? Not really...For me celebrating birthday is somewhat painfull since there are so many thinks which have not been done, but years seem to go so quickly.

hey, hey! what about me! :p

seriously,
B: what do you do in your office, how old are you, where did you go to school, what are your hobbies, what do you do in your free time, what food do you like, do you like any particular holidays/festivals most, do you live in a city or outside of one and are you happy?

Shea
04-18-2005, 11:56 AM
I see...so you are basically a Christian but not following any 'stream'...just doing it your won way? I got confused cos I think I naturally associate religiousness and Bible with catholicism, as it's the main religion here and the one I'm accustomed with. My family is quite religious (catholic) and for years I went to the church every sunday just not to raise polemics...when I gave up I had to quarrel with my mum every sunday and it took me like 3 years to get away with it. Now they just call me an 'atheist' trying to offend me but honestly it's nearer to the truth than most other definitions...
So maybe I'm asking a very big question and you can decide not to reply if it would raise too many issues or it would be too long, but what is it in Catholicism that you disagree with, even remaining religious?

I promise that I haven't ignored your question Koa!

I actually did reply but forgot to copy it and so lost it, grr. I've been incredibly busy as it's the end of the semester, but I get back soon!

papayahed
04-18-2005, 01:21 PM

I'm just thinking it'll be fun to have a sci fi wedding..

Scheherazade
04-18-2005, 01:28 PM
Are you gonna dress up as Diana Troy or Five of Nine?? :D Or Princess Leia??

Helga
04-18-2005, 07:42 PM
Thank you ladies..If someday I'll change my mind and preference, You both will be the first 2 people I'd go to ;)

Just to score a few points, I would love a sci-fi wedding, I'd be wearing a female costume from the TOS, I have one already short and thight.

Oh and sub what is your favorite ST serie?

Miss Darcy
04-18-2005, 10:40 PM
Hey guys,

Sorry I haven't replied to my questions yet (er, questions for me...), I've been awful busy...and all my time on the forums ends up being spent in either blasting all my energies in Evolution vs. Creation (not that I mind :D) or dwindling them all in a creative streak in the Games. So don't worry, some day I'll reply to everything here if it's the last thing I do. (Devil or no devil. :D)

Miss Darcy

papayahed
04-19-2005, 09:58 AM
Are you gonna dress up as Diana Troy or Five of Nine?? :D Or Princess Leia??

hmmmmmm... that's a toughy. I think Princess Leia has better outfits, and who can resist straping danishes to their head. But in all fairness I'll have to consult with the groom.

Scheherazade
04-19-2005, 10:17 AM
Pizza the Hut??? :D

papayahed
04-19-2005, 10:31 AM
Pizza the Hut??? :D

He hasn't actually said yes yet, I hope I didn't scare him.

Scheherazade
04-19-2005, 10:36 AM
He hasn't actually said yes yet, I hope I didn't scare him.
Oh, he was talking about leaving the Forum the other day, I think. You didn't hear that? ;)

papayahed
04-19-2005, 01:41 PM
damn, another one slips through my fingers!!! :rage: :D

Koa
04-20-2005, 04:13 PM
no more questions? no more answers?:(

subterranean
04-20-2005, 08:49 PM
Sorry peeps, been busy lately...

Koa
Which country or city where you want to spend your days of retirement?

Would you die for Love?

Jay
04-21-2005, 11:28 AM
Was that last question for Koa as well? Or was it more general?

subterranean
04-23-2005, 04:37 AM
Camper, if you want to answer them, please do ;)

Snukes
04-23-2005, 10:56 AM
Would you die for Love?

Is bored, will post.

Since you capitalize "Love," I wonder if you're talking about the concept? I would not die for the idea of Love. I think I'm five or six centuries too late to do that and get away with it.

Would I die *for* someone I love? I think only if my death would save his or her life, or improve it to a degree that my simple absense would not. (If I could move to Zimbabwe, for example, and that would be just as helpful, I'd rather not bite it...)

But then, I'm selfish enough that I can't actually imagine a scenario like the second one there. And as for the first? It seems almost selfish to offer your own life in place of your Love's. Then you are given peaceful oblivion while s/he is left to suffer your loss. (Assuming s/he loved you back...)

This wasn't supposed to be such a complicated question, was it? Too much sleep will do this to me. :D

Taliesin: Are you really from the Czech Republic, or was that part of the hooey you were feeding poor Snookie?

Koa
04-23-2005, 11:59 AM
Sorry peeps, been busy lately...

Koa
Which country or city where you want to spend your days of retirement?

Would you die for Love?

How can I choose where I want to spend my retirement... I've yet to start working :D And I think my decision are too subject to change with time, so I dont know what I will like in like 50 years... I know where I want to be (or rather, where I don't want to be) in the next few years, but I can't see further... Who knows, i might even come back to Italy at some point after leaving it as I plan to.

As for the second question, I was discussing something similar just earlier today... I'm way too selfish for Love, I was saying to a friend that I can't even imagine myself in a relationship cos I'm not willing to sacrifice the plans I have for myself... So every time I hear about things like death for love, my cynicism suggests me a big laugh... Of course this shows my ignorance about that feeling called Love, with the capital, but I seriously wonder if it exists, and if it does it's probably not appliabale for me. In short, the answer is NO, there are much better reasons to die.

Taliesin
04-23-2005, 12:00 PM
No, it was actually not our chatlog at all. It was something a friend (who also got it from someone else) showed us and so it went that we posted it here...
We do not even know whether it is a chatlog at all. Perhaps it is someone's creation. We do not know.

So no, we are not from Czech Republic.

How we were stolen: well, when we were born, by some chance we were left outside some building (we were probably some days old) as our mother was in. And then some woman came and stole us. Luckily, a man saw this and shouted so our mother was able to run and catch that woman and take us back.
All's well that ends well.

What would we study: although fool's option (girls in the college) seems tempting, it hardly puts bread on one's table.
We have thought of studying of something related to mathematics as we have a natural talent to it. Another thought would be to learn composition, but We think that that wouldn't also put much bread on our table, so our basic thought is still math.

Are there any questions unanswered?

Koa
04-23-2005, 05:16 PM
sub, Jay, whoever else wants to answer: what is your style of look? I mean, what do you generally wear? Which colours, what kind of things, sporty or elegant, is there something you can't stand to wear (iiih for me it's tights)...and so on..

Bandini
04-23-2005, 05:40 PM
I wear fairly sharp suits at work. Out of work I wear flared or bootcut jeans or cords, T-shirt or button down shirts or a striped Fred Perry - got some Pete Fowler (artist) T-shirts that I like at the moment (www.monsterism.net). I wear a black leather half trench coat - a second hand Helmut Lang; a bargain off a mate; it's cool as f*** and it will last forever. Brown Converse Leather 'All Star' trainers, at the moment - originally out in 1975. I've got got longish, 'moddy' hair. Think 1968 'Small Faces'. God, I sound like a vain fop!

amuse
04-23-2005, 05:55 PM
black top, slightly low-necked - ballerina or v-cut - and gap jeans. if i have to get dressy, anything by jones new york. steel-toed brown tims, police boots or sneakers for the most distal body parts. otherwise flats, comfy heels or sexy italian scandals. oh, one doesn't wear scandals. oops. ;)

so easy! :)

Bandini
04-23-2005, 06:30 PM
By the way, I'm not as anal as I sound on the last post. I do like style, but I'm as likely to be found unshaven, and I look a lot untidier than the description would have you believe. I suppose beatnik/mod/hippy best describes it. Sound even more self obssessed now! I'll stop digging now.

amuse
04-23-2005, 06:35 PM
following the editing example of B above, i've blue on at the moment - actually wear whites/colors two to three times a week. let's see, thats about 15 weeks a year. :D

mono
04-23-2005, 09:07 PM
sub, Jay, whoever else wants to answer: what is your style of look? I mean, what do you generally wear? Which colours, what kind of things, sporty or elegant, is there something you can't stand to wear (iiih for me it's tights)...and so on..
I dress relatively plainly - no labels, outrageous colors, revealing, etc.
Today, I wear my navy blue scrubs for school with a white coat, but casually, I often wear a pair of khaki/cargo trousers, usually a black or gray buttoned shirt or t-shirt, black Dr. Martens boots, and my black-and-white striped beanie. Otherwise, I almost always maintain myself as clean-shaven, and short jet black hair.

Psyche
04-24-2005, 10:49 PM
I have no definate style. I wear what is comfortable, usually with the addition of knee socks in bright colors. Today I wore my tie dress and furry glam jacket with sandals. I like to experiment with makeup, my favorite right now is bright red eyeliner. I like to wear Mono's scarf.

Jay
04-25-2005, 07:31 AM
Sub's Love question: There were times I'd say yes without a second thought. Now I'd've to say that it'll depend on circumstances, but somewhere I read a line that's changed my view on 'dying for love', can't remember it word-by-word, but the idea was 'living for love' instead, you know, not 'Would you die for love?' but 'Would you live for love?' kinda thingy. If you think about it, the latter seems harder in a way.

Koa's clothes question: *chechs what she's wearing, lol* a cross between sandals and trainers, khaki cotton pants, black short-sleeved shirt, long jeans vest with buttons.
I usually wear clothes like that, not girlie clothing friendly (no dresses or skirts or blouses *shudders*)

Miss Darcy
04-26-2005, 06:11 AM
*In a Draculean accent* Ze time 'as come for me to answer your questions... ;)

(Finally!)

Mono: Do you think there is a meaning in life, or for that matter, in anything? If so, what? (I know that's very bland, just asking like that, as there was nothing more to it than a question in an English workbook analysing a text...) And also, what do you think lies outside the Universe, if indeed anything? Very ambiguous question, I know, but you can interpret it in any way you like.Miss Darcy: same question, as you ask such good ones.

Well. This is one of those subjects that I could practically spend my whole life talking about, but I won't hold you for that long. :D

The humanist in me wants to think, and indeed, does think there is something more to life than just living it out and then dying. The scientist in me tells me that the authors I read may have a point in saying that everything seems to happen only for efficiency, there is perhaps no "point" at all. But, again, the humanist shudders at the very idea. (Though I do not refer to myself as "we" as Taliesin does, I have my own share of multiple personalities. ;))

As there is more humanist than scientist in me, though, I believe there is a meaning in life. A meaning - perhaps for all to become better, for us all to become better people, through the stages of our lives/reincarnation; perhaps for us to escape the karma, escape the witches' circle and finally find nothingness. Egolessness, timelessness...spacelessness...

Why are we here? What are we doing on this earth? I know, we're here because billions of years ago life began - began? or came from outer space - but that's not why we're here, that's how we happen to be here. A "meaning" is more than an explanation of cause and effect.

Sometimes it hits me that I don't really exist. Sure, I exist, in the material state, or so I am led to think because of my senses (just consider what it would be like if you lost all your senses...blackness...utter blackness...with no sound, feeling...)...but really, though we all know there are others, that other people exist, with their own desires, ambitions, lives...they live in the same world as us and yet...we are trapped within ourselves. Not necessarily to say we're egocentric, though we are - what I mean to say is, we are confined to our personal view of the world, we cannot directly experience what it is to be somebody else. I could go on and on about this, but regrettably do not have the time.

More on that feeling of non-existence: you realise that you are no more than all the other millions in the world, your life is not any more important than theirs might be; you realise you are only an animated speck of dust, a molecule, or even a superstring in that pale blue dot in infinite, or at least, boundless, spacetime.

And I have never been the comfortable with the idea of the universe "ending" anywhere. I always thought, well if it ends, what's outside it? Say you have an egg. Outside the shell is air, but it's still something...so why call it separate, in the case of the universe? - I think the answer may be - there is literally nothing outside the universe (or super-cluster of parallel universes). Nothing. No time, no space, no thing. Absolutely nothing.

But what is nothing? We hardly know it. Our existence is, in most cases, confined to the material world only. The very idea of utter and complete nothingness is unintelligible to our minds. Nothingness is not empty space - even in empty space there are, I think, virtual particles (excuse if that's the wrong term...may be getting it mixed up with something else)...nothingness could so easily be where the soul, the spirit, the metaphysical exists without incurring any direct material existence.

Another thing that intrigues me is the infinitely small, as well as the infinitely large. Atoms, molecules, subatomic particles, quarks, superstrings....and what lies beyond? Blake, I think, had such an amazing scope - his poem (from Auguries of Innocence...the one in my signature) "To see a world in a grain of sand" so beautifully encompasses this idea. How can we know that there is not even smaller life - "life", what a hard-to-define word - inside superstrings, how can we know if the zooming in ever stops?

Well, enough musing. I may have not made sense to anybody, that often happens around 8 o'clock at night when I'm on the computer, but no matter, I've made sense to myself. The day I stop making sense to myself will be rather traumatic, I imagine. (I can't make sense of myself sometimes, but then that's a totally different thing.)

So, darcy, where in Europe have you been? And where in Italy?

Various places. Europe must be the continent I've explored the most; I've seen some of Asia, none of the Americas, none of Africa, none of Antarctica (so far :D), and none of the North Pole...but then, I've still got my whole life before me. (Minus those fifteen years, of course)

So to answer your question: Czech Republic, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, France, Spain, England (when still in the pram - haven't seen it since :(), Holland,...that's probably about it. We were going to go to Greece and Croatia last time, but we gave in and went to Spain again instead. We loved it so much in Peniscola the time before that we had set our hearts to go there again.

In Italy...hmm...start with...Rome - delectable pizza, by a fountain near the Pantheon (what a remarkable piece of architecture!) - also threw a coin backwards into the Fontana di Trevi, guaranteeing myself another visit to Rome; Naples - unfortunately very crowded at the time we were there, but we went to a quieter church where they were practising for a wedding, and that was nice :D; Pompeii...loved it, ancient history is one of my favourite subjects; Salerno; Rimini (I'm pretty sure); Verona! - loved that as well, and not making that up; and Cremona, which was also one of my favourites. Been to some other places south and others north but they were in the country in small towns I can't remember the names of.

Btw, i just looked at your profile just out of curiosity and from how you write I must say that I thought you were much older...(I do underestimate young people, maybe cos I dont realise how old I am and consequently that people that are younger than me are old enough to use their brain. Even my brother (same age as you darcy) is starting to do so ...sometimes )

Maybe you should transfer that into the "Compliment the person above you" thread. :D It's actually happened before, couple of times, mainly cos I'm pretty tall...on my 13th birthday one lady guessed I was 16. I like hanging out with people a few years older than myself, maybe that's one of the causes...and by the time I'm older I'm sure I'll start being surprised just like you. In fact, being a few seconds older already, I must admit I thought Taliesin was older than he is, too...and what do you know.

Anyway, I think that answers all my questions, remind me if I've forgotten any...must go...

Miss Darcy

QUESTIONS:

Mono: Very ordinary today...what's your favourite movie? (Pathetic question, but never mind)
Koa: Where are you planning to travel next? (Doesn't necessarily have to be soon)
Jay: What's the weather like over there!!! - I know, I kinda got an update from my grandma over the telephone today, but, well, only for one part of the CZ...how's stuff in Liberec (and Brno)?
Scher: I heard - or rather, read - you teach...what subject/s? What year? :)

Jay
04-26-2005, 11:15 AM
What's the weather like over there!!! - I know, I kinda got an update from my grandma over the telephone today, but, well, only for one part of the CZ...how's stuff in Liberec (and Brno)?
The weather's pretty nice today, a bit chilly but sunny, on the other hand it was horrendous yesterday, it was raining all day through!
Haven't been in Liberec for a bit over a week now but I'm assuming things there are pretty much ok, should know for sure if my sister's pregnant in a few days (if mum doesn't text me :p)
Things in Brno are... kinda same, just the teachers are starting to be a bit of a pains because of the closing of the end of the term :rolleyes:

Darcy: I noticed you're using flower-y avatars. Do you like flowers a lot? :p If so (d'oh ;)), what's your fave... let's say, 5?

Koa
04-26-2005, 05:09 PM
Koa: Where are you planning to travel next? (Doesn't necessarily have to be soon)
Am I the official traveller of the forum? ;)
It's a bit question mark in my mind... Need to choose what to do in the summer, and if I go somehwere it might be Russia, Hungary again, Germany, or France. Still hoping to get that job in England next autumn, cos if I dont I'll go Russia then instead. I dont really feel like going to Russia but I sort of have to, my Russian is so bad I need to improve it before I graduate or soon after.

Miss Darcy
04-26-2005, 10:40 PM
Darcy: I noticed you're using flower-y avatars. Do you like flowers a lot? If so (d'oh ), what's your fave... let's say, 5?

Um, I do like flowers, though I like books better. ;) I'm using flowery avatars mainly because I like the look of them! :D Favourite 5...oh my dog, that's an incredibly difficult question. Er...um...hmm...

Just in random order...lilies-of-the-valley, forget-me-nots, um, bouřka, orchids (various kinds), bluebells, tea-roses, roses in general, camellias, pansies, violets...I guess I could just say I like every flower. ;)

Ask my questions later, just using my lunchbreak time at the moment. :)

Jay
04-27-2005, 11:06 AM
For anyone interested (and just because :D), this is bouřka :)

http://i.postcard.cz/pc/n23/af-02393.jpg

subterranean
04-27-2005, 08:33 PM
That's lovely.

I dress in casuals..

mono
04-28-2005, 01:46 AM
Mono: Very ordinary today...what's your favourite movie? (Pathetic question, but never mind)
No worries, as your question seems neither 'ordinary,' nor 'pathetic.'
I enjoy many, many different types of movies from comedy to horror to foreign. I cannot possibly narrow down my absolute favorite, but I have numerous favorites: Pulp Fiction (and anything else written and/or directed by Quentin Tarantino), Contact, The Royal Tenenbaums, Amélie, Jules and Jim, Run Lola Run, Seven, Shakespeare In Love, American Beauty, The Hours, A Clockwork Orange, Elephant Man, anything by Michael Moore :), Bad Education, any of the Monty Python films, Pi, Requiem For A Dream, anything written and/or directed by Tim Burton, and, last but not least, Napoleon Dynamite.
Whew!

Bandini: I do not remember you answering one of my previous questions, though just out of curiosity, you say you have an interest in philosophy: do you have any favorite philosophies and/or philosophers? If so, what and who?
amuse and Miss Darcy: what to you seems the purpose(s) of writing?

Bandini
04-28-2005, 08:14 AM
I love Sartre. Also into the 'social end' of Philosophy - enjoy Foucalt immensely. I know I can say Neitzsche on an inteligent site such as this without the knee jerk 'fascist' stuff being thrown at me. Neitzsche wasn't perfect, but he certainl wasn't a fascist, and was wholeheartedly PRO-semetic! The existentialist and post modernism movements owe it all to him. I'm more into 'idea' than 'personalities' - although I obviously rate soem philosophers over others. I am a big fan of 'gonzo' philosopher Robert Anton Wilson. What about yerself?

papayahed
04-28-2005, 01:21 PM
Scher - Do you read the book of the month, even if you don't want too?

Everybody- Does anybody have any good chicken or tofu recipes?

amuse
04-28-2005, 01:27 PM
no :( but i know of a great thai curry tempeh...

Scheherazade
04-28-2005, 01:28 PM
Scher - Do you read the book of the month, even if you don't want too?So far I have read every Book of the Month... even if I didn't want to... I find that a nice challenge... Reading something I wouldn't have chosen myself otherwise... It doesn't pay off all the time but I like reading anyway :D

Everybody- Does anybody have any good chicken or tofu recipes?
My favorite chicken dishes are fajitas, chicken and broccoli bake and kind of a chicken kebab... Oh, there is chicken-corn soup as well... If you are interested, I will PM the recipe(s) to you...

papayahed
04-28-2005, 04:01 PM
no :( but i know of a great thai curry tempeh...

I'll take it.

My favorite chicken dishes are fajitas, chicken and broccoli bake and kind of a chicken kebab... Oh, there is chicken-corn soup as well... If you are interested, I will PM the recipe(s) to you...

yes please, unless we resurrect the recipe thread...

amuse
04-29-2005, 10:44 AM
what to you seems the purpose(s) of writing?
lots! these are a few that come to mind...

1. to keep authors from hammering nails into their heads whilst in great pain.
2. to tell the truth when people - individuals and governments - would demand that it be hidden.
3. to romance.
4. to convince.
5. to blasphemize
6. to mock
7. to sing
8. to share both infinitesimally small and grand concepts and discoveries
9. to continue breathing

everyone else: same question :)

atiguhya padma
04-29-2005, 12:17 PM
Bandini:

What area of philosophy are you most interested in? and which philosophers are you most impressed with?

amuse
04-29-2005, 01:39 PM
I'll take it.

yes please, unless we resurrect the recipe thread...
ooh, good idea!!! *salivates :D

thai curry tempeh

you will need: cooked rice, curry, tempeh (sqs. or rects.), onions, coconut milk, 2-ish broccoli crowns

take one can (reg. size, not the sm/skinny one) of coconut milk - with as little water in it as poss. you want it to be pure coconut milk.
a couple of broccoli crowns
(don't you like the painstakingly accurate recipe? ;))
lop the top off of the crowns. if you want you can put in the stems, but the trees alone will do and your dish will be much prettier for it.
get square or rectangular tempeh- not the round burger patty. cut this into cubes or triangles. i've always done this with triangles; it's really pretty that way. make them about 1-inch wide on the angle unless you like fairly huge chunks.
cook up some brown rice to go with, or basmati, or jasmine. have a nice spot of tea to go with, and some to sip on as you cook.

take a large skillet (a 4-quart saucepan should do as well) heat some olive oil, and toss in the half-moons of a chopped onion. i actually don't :eek: put garlic in this, but go ahead if you must. you will want to saute the broccoli by itself in another pan. add the tempeh and most of the coconut milk. at this point, you will also want to add the curry i put it in to taste - turn the food a nice orange-yellow color, and watch it all bubble away. hmm. it's a good idea at that point to turn the food down to simmer at that point. add the broccoli and the rest of your coconut milk; let this cook until broccolis are fully cooked but not overdone, and if you must, check the tempeh as you go along. your dish is done when the broccoli's cooked but still bright green. serve over the rice and enjoy! :)

baddad
04-30-2005, 05:26 AM
lots! these are a few that come to mind...

1. to keep authors from hammering nails into their heads whilst in great pain.
2. to tell the truth when people - individuals and governments - would demand that it be hidden.
3. to romance.
4. to convince.
5. to blasphemize
6. to mock
7. to sing
8. to share both infinitesimally small and grand concepts and discoveries
9. to continue breathing........................

YO! You go girl!!!! GREAT One-to-niner........

.....and the thai tempeh sounds good too (heads directly to the refrigerator)......

Bandini
04-30-2005, 05:32 AM
atig - see previous page.

Miss Darcy
04-30-2005, 09:21 PM
what to you seems the purpose(s) of writing?

Um...there are many...

1. Expressing yourself
2. Giving life to something
3. Putting thoughts on paper
4. Sharing ideas
5. Exercising the imagination
6. Making problems
7. Solving problems
8. Creating something beautiful
9. Criticising
10. Making people laugh

Jay, just out of curiosity, what's your favourite Czech food? *drinks in the heavenly smell of dumpling soup* :D (Well, let's say main course foods first, and then desserts...*licks lips*) And that picture was really lovely...I wonder...*goes to do a Google search on bouřka*

;)

amuse
04-30-2005, 09:44 PM
*looked at the tempeh dish in my mind and realized Orange! it's missing carrots - preferably med. sized roll cuts; if not, then chopped regularly or on the bias.

mono
04-30-2005, 10:31 PM
What about yerself?
I attempt sharing an overall reverence for all types of philosophy; I have read much philosophy that I strongly disagreed with, but still learned much and respected it. If I devoted more time and study to any type of philosophy, I would have to choose transcendentalism, ethics, and existentialism. With that aside, I have a relatively diverse list of favorites with philosophers that always changes: Immanuel Kant, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Rene Descartes, Henry David Thoreau (if he fits the category), George Berkeley, Cicero, John Stuart Mill, Jeremy Bentham, Buddha, Lao Tzu, Jean-Paul Sartre, David Hume, Plato, Aristotle, Friedrich Nietzsche (only some material), Arthur Schopenhauer, Carl Jung (if he fits the category also), John Locke, Robert Anton Wilson (too), Pythagoras, and Confucius.

everyone else: same question :)
Hmmm, if I could ask such a broad question, I suppose I should have thought of the answer myself. Like many, many, many people have thought before me, I must claim agreement in saying that "art imitates nature." However, does it seem intrinsic in an artist's nature to create art, or does he/she adopt inspiration from outward, natural stimuli? The purpose(s) of writing, I would like to think, extend(s) far beyond mere story-telling, conversation, and communication between generations.
To a writer, his/her creation should seem sublime - a concrete mixture of ink and paper for what abstractly reflects in the mind, which amazes me, considering there exist only so many words for multiple expressions and feelings. The purpose of writing, to me, should have no singular motive for fame (though it sounds pleasant, to a limit), but seem an end in itself - to express one's self, imitating by creation the natural abstractness of the mind.
Eh, how cliché.

subterranean: where do you find all of the news in music history that you print in the 'General Chat' section?
all writers: who influences you most in writing?

baddad
05-01-2005, 04:55 AM
I don't want to 'assume' your particular meaning within this question, so here is my answer to my interpretation of what I think you meant... *whew*

In my own case, Who influences my writing? I'm not sure there is a 'who', but there is a what: Its a need, a noun with no real existence......that and the voices in my head.........and to use an 'Amuse-ism' , the autonomic need to continue breathing........I have read literally thousands of books so far in my life, and while all have contributed to who I am, no particular author influences my approach to my own writing. While I do experiment with style, usually gleaned from the latest successful literary approaches (Example:Raymond Carver's lack of use of punctuation/incorporating his speech tag lines into a sentence) I lack any hero or figurehead as motivation.............

Sher: Your 'location' printed below your avatar seems incosistent with your forum persona. Care to explain the descrepancy? And yes, feel free to blame my perceptions.

Scheherazade
05-01-2005, 05:07 AM
Sher: Your 'location' printed below your avatar seems incosistent with your forum persona. Care to explain the descrepancy? And yes, feel free to blame my perceptions.
Why do you think it is inconsistent?

baddad
05-01-2005, 05:11 AM
Okay, I'll rephrase:

Sher: Where would you like to be? ... as I'm ' assuming' you mean metaphysically with your tag line.....

Jay
05-01-2005, 07:11 AM
Jay, just out of curiosity, what's your favourite Czech food? *drinks in the heavenly smell of dumpling soup* :D (Well, let's say main course foods first, and then desserts...*licks lips*) And that picture was really lovely...I wonder...*goes to do a Google search on bouřka ;)*
Let's start from the end... googling bouřka wasn't very easy, hehe, it kept coming with storms and thunders or forget-me-nots. Just in case anyone wondered, bouřka means storm :p
Food... Czech food... hmm... fave Czech food... no idea if it's originally Czech or not, but I like segedin... with dumplings of course ;)... though I think it might be Hungarian? Or onion goulash, yummy.

Well, desserts... all kinds of cakes, lol

Darcy: you? what's your fave Czech food? Aside of dumpling soup? :p

Koa
05-01-2005, 10:08 AM
no idea if it's originally Czech or not, but I like segedin... with dumplings of course ;)... though I think it might be Hungarian? Or onion goulash, yummy.

My heart had a jump... I'm not sure it has something to do with that thing you're talking about, but the city I lived in in Hungary is called Szeged, which in some languages translates as Segedin... And there was a dish called Szeged soup, it was a fish soup... Anything to do with that? Let's go deep into this mystery.

As we are on the topic of food, I am not a great cook but in Hungary I 'invented' to cook chicken steak in lemon with a little bit of oil (olive oil of course) and paprika powder. Very simple but yummy :)

On a different note, the purpose of writing in my opinion is simply to express something, of pretty much any kind (feelings, ideas, stories that come up to mind...) and, incase it's shared, to share this experience with other people and therefore try to overcome the inevitable state of loneliness of the human being: by sharing experience we might find people who feel similarly and sympathise and therefore feel for a second close to other people and less lonely.
And I think some people write and some don't cos those who have the gift (or the necessary patience) of writing can give words to those who can't to express something they might have felt too.

Scheherazade
05-01-2005, 05:39 PM
Okay, I'll rephrase:

Sher: Where would you like to be? ... as I'm ' assuming' you mean metaphysically with your tag line.....
You don't want to open that can of worms! ;)

Bandini
05-01-2005, 07:31 PM
Mono - a good eclectic mix there - you're obviously catmatic!

Miss Darcy
05-02-2005, 03:03 AM
Darcy: you? what's your fave Czech food? Aside of dumpling soup?

*Gravely* I have many. Well, aside from dumpling soup...;) I love (potato) dumplings with spinach (I don't particularly like them with cabbage, though the rest of the family has it that way), potato pancakes, again with spinach (yeah, love spinach! - chopped and cooked, not raw, though)...mmm...well I also like normal dumplings with garlic sauce/mushroom sauce...oh my gosh! I almost forgot! I love mashed potato with breadcrumbed cheese. And I much prefer chips with tartar sauce to chips with tomato sauce, though that's off the topic...Favourite Christmas food, of course, I'd say...potato salad! Oh great, now I wish it was Christmas again...

As for sweet foods...:D Pancakes with blueberries, cottage cheese, and cream, of course...and koláč! My favourite flavour is šiml and then straight poppyseed...apricot's nice too...otherwise, other stuff from the bakery, závin (we took it on the plane with us last time, I was eating the last few slices in Papua New Guinea! ;)) with poppyseed filling (I know, I know...)....and of course, all sorts of cakes, harlequin, medovník, layer cakes....Christmas biscuits, and rohlíčky...

Lol. I think I got a little carried away there. You can see I love the Czech kitchen! :p In fact, maybe I am patriotic after all, just realised that. :D

no idea if it's originally Czech or not, but I like segedin...

Neither do I. Is it anything like sauerkraut?

Koa, speaking of food...:lol: What's your favourite kind of pizza - and gelato, as well?

Let's start from the end... googling bouřka wasn't very easy, hehe, it kept coming with storms and thunders or forget-me-nots.

I believe it! :p I don't understand why forget-me-nots, though...strange. I still have a pressed bouřka flower from our garden in my old diary...

On another topic, Jay, who's your favourite English writer? And what's it like doing an English Literature course...:)

Anyway, I think that was probably long enough :D...

Miss Darcy

Jay
05-02-2005, 09:34 AM
LMAO!!! Darcy, you're making me even more hungry than I am! :D
Just fyi ;), looky here for the recipe... warning, it's in Czech ;) linky (http://www.vareni.cz/recepty/611/), but in general, yup, it's like sauerkraut. Very yummy *drools* Though we don't cook it in two kettles/saucepans/whatever. Too much hassle :p

My favourite English writer nowadays is Jeanette Winterson. Don't ask me about my fave Czech writer :p, don't have any. Don't really read Czech books.

What's it like to be doing an English lit course? Mostly GREAT :D, depends on the teacher, but in general I like most lit courses, be it English or not (aside of Czech for some strange reason, Czech lit was one of the worst subjects I had to take in highschool)

Koa
05-03-2005, 04:39 PM
Koa, speaking of food...:lol: What's your favourite kind of pizza - and gelato, as well?

Mmh food questions... I prefer pizza with not too many things on it, usually ham and mushrooms is more than enough. And to all those who live in the ignorance of this fact, please take notes: pineapple on pizza has nothing to do with Italy! I was shocked and honestly horrified when I heard of that, I'm not sure I'll ever be able to try it...
As for gelato, or icecream for the profanes, my all time favourite is stracciatella as we call it - the one with chocolate pieces basically. But I also love mint with chocolate pieces...or just chocolate...and lately there are so many fancy sweet ones...yummy...
What about you Darcy?

subterranean
05-07-2005, 12:03 AM
Old Question from Helga: Oh and sub what is your favorite ST serie?

The first series I guess..Those were the ones I remember the most

Old Q from Papaya: Everybody- Does anybody have any good chicken or tofu recipes?

My all time fav tofu recipe is to fry it in hot oil untill it become soo crunchy..I use chinese tofu and salted it for a while...Simple but it is soooo yummy

Again, Old Q from Mono: what to you seems the purpose(s) of writing?

I have dream to be a writer..but for now, my purpose is only to keep my sanity..

subterranean: where do you find all of the news in music history that you print in the 'General Chat' section?

Now, that's a secret I can't reveal ;)

AP, how did u end up in financial work?

Bandini Do you like Pink Floyd?

Crisaor, why are u a literature tramp?

crisaor
05-11-2005, 04:12 PM
Crisaor, why are u a literature tramp?
It is a relatively good description of myself, and I wanted to change my previous title. So, there.
What about you, why subterranean, and not the tourist or any other?

subterranean
05-13-2005, 06:21 AM
It is a relatively good description of myself, and I wanted to change my previous title. So, there.

Well there are many definitions of tramp

To walk with a firm, heavy step; trudge.
To travel on foot; hike.
To wander about aimlessly
To traverse on foot: tramp the fields.
To tread down; trample: tramp down snow
A prostitute.
A person regarded as promiscuous.

:)

So I guess I'll try to figure which one you refer to ;)

What about you, why subterranean, and not the tourist or any other?

I registered when I listened to the song "subterranean home sick alien"..So, There..

crisaor
05-14-2005, 12:52 AM
To wander about aimlessly
That one. Definitely.

I registered when I listened to the song "subterranean home sick alien"..So, There..
Which of their albums is your least favourite?

subterranean
05-14-2005, 06:32 AM
Which of their albums is your least favourite?

Which one is my least fav kid? Well..., I'd say My Iron Lung, with the exception of Trickster..:nod:

So your "wander" or "wandering"...is it has something to do with the future...?Say, what you'd do when you graduate...or something like that....

And I'm curious...are you single?

crisaor
05-17-2005, 03:53 PM
Shall I take it to be The Bends then?

Yes, and yes.

subterranean
05-19-2005, 02:27 AM
No, after the Bends, Radiohead released an EP called My Iron Lung, consist of few songs..including "My Iron Lung", "Creep - Accoustic Version", "Trickster", and "You Never Wash Up After Your Self".

I went to a book store yesterday, and I noticed that Borges got many titles..Which one you think the most interesting title ?

crisaor
05-20-2005, 08:36 AM
Prose: Ficciones (Fictions), El Aleph (The Aleph), El Libro de Arena (The Book of Sand)

Poetry: El Otro, El Mismo, (The Other, The Same), Los Conjurados (The Conjurers)

Can't stick with just only one, sorry. Anyone of those is more than worth reading. Are you planning on giving him a try?

Isagel
05-20-2005, 01:21 PM
Can't stick with just only one, sorry.

Now, isn´t that literary promiscuous?

Snukes
05-20-2005, 05:42 PM
Literary promiscuity!! I love it!

Literarily promiscuous? Hmm...

crisaor
05-26-2005, 11:56 AM
Now, isn´t that literary promiscuous?
Not really, I care about them all. :lol: ;)

GruesomeBugman
06-03-2005, 07:33 PM
To baddad, why is it you put the coordinates of your city in your location information, as opposed to the name of the city?

baddad
06-04-2005, 01:48 AM
To baddad, why is it you put the coordinates of your city in your location information, as opposed to the name of the city?

....a hangover from a Remote Sensing-Cartography third year geography class...........last year I holidayed at 23 degrees north, 86 degrees west......does that help any?

Bongitybongbong
06-06-2005, 04:21 PM
I like the coordinates to the city...very clever.

Koa
06-07-2005, 05:37 PM
i agree with bong - though it gives me no idea of where the place is :D

Bongitybongbong
06-07-2005, 06:18 PM
Unfortunatly I will agree with Koa... I've got no idea where you are.

amuse
06-07-2005, 07:57 PM
voila! http://www.confluence.org/confluence.php?lat=37&lon=-86

Bongitybongbong
06-07-2005, 08:03 PM
Thank you amuse.

amuse
06-07-2005, 08:13 PM
np

*enters random letters so that...['fgjk werl;wiahjet...post

baddad
06-07-2005, 09:37 PM
Yeah, ok Amuse, is that YOUR location?

Coordinates are quite easy to learn/identify. Just check out a world globe, or www.weatherunderground.com

Access satellites of many capabilities.....even zoom.............I can see your house.........

amuse
06-07-2005, 11:32 PM
23 degrees north, 86 degrees west
Yeah, ok Amuse, is that YOUR location?
very confused by your question; i plugged in the coordinates you mentioned.

oh, did you mean the random letters i typed after linking to 23 N 86 W?
"np" wasn't enough characters for a post so i played keyboardpiano for a couple seconds. :nod:

weird, i was reminded of my history prof's brother's talk on the weathermen by your link, baddad.
he (Jeremy Varon) wrote a book about them: http://www.mediamouse.org/reviews/bringing_the_war_home_the_weath.php

these are the coordinates where i live:
40.72 N & 76.12 W

it was a lot warmer on the west coast (a mediterranean clime) at 38.44 N...

baddad
06-08-2005, 02:38 AM
Amuse: yes, I see the problem, a little miscommunication.........23degrees north latitude, NOT '37' degrees as your link proves to be......

Jay
06-08-2005, 07:48 AM
Fun...
so right now I'd be aproximately here: 49 N, 17 E (http://www.confluence.org/confluence.php?id=7270)
usually you can find me here: 51 N, 15 E (http://www.confluence.org/confluence.php?id=7272)

baddad
06-08-2005, 12:24 PM
Jay: beautiful!!! (49N,17E)

Stanislaw
06-15-2005, 09:59 PM

oh, haha, I finally found the proposal...hmm, I do accept

I like the scifi wedding thing!

ahem, down on one knee, ahem: I would gladly kill the inhabitants of a thousand worlds just to see you smile. :D , ahem, it would seem the asteroid be in ytour court. :D

Nightshade
06-16-2005, 04:41 AM
Much as I dislike the thought of another wedding to go to at this point in time (it means more dress shopping :sick:) Can I come to the wedding???????????????
Momo: 2 questions 1 what are Doc Martins?? I ve heard of them beforeand you mentioned them but I dont get what they are. And dont just say shoes, explain please!
Second q, why did you change your Avatar

Bongitybongbong
06-16-2005, 09:27 AM

ahem, down on one knee, ahem: I would gladly kill the inhabitants of a thousand worlds just to see you smile. :D , ahem, it would seem the asteroid be in ytour court. :D
Ahhh. I thought it would be more of a business proposal than one for marriage.

papayahed
06-16-2005, 09:41 AM

Whoo Hoo, I don't know about anything else but the reception needs to be in Ten Forward.

and I'm gonna continue to work....

wanderlust_ox
06-16-2005, 12:35 PM
wow this is a very chaotic thread...

Bongitybongbong
06-16-2005, 01:00 PM
w00t! I love chaos....

http://www.infres.enst.fr/~dax/elsa/paintings/mythology/chaos-big.jpg

Scheherazade
06-16-2005, 01:12 PM
wow this is a very chaotic thread...You say it as if it is a bad thing... ;)

Bongitybongbong
06-16-2005, 01:17 PM
I will teach you 2 equations that you don't know.
chaos= good
unchaos= bad

Nightshade
06-16-2005, 01:18 PM
hum is unchaos even a word????????????????
I like organised chos
anyway "out of chaos was born order" and all that greek legend as to the birth of the world ....

papayahed
06-16-2005, 01:20 PM
I will teach you 2 equations that you don't know.
chaos= good
unchaos= bad

How were those equations derived?

Bongitybongbong
06-16-2005, 01:20 PM
i'm not sure if unchaos is a word
why do you like oxymorons?

Nightshade
06-16-2005, 01:21 PM
Papayhed can I come to your wedding?
OO why dont you have the wedding at the Forum reunion!