PDA

View Full Version : Woman's desire to shape man into perfection

Emmy Castrol
03-10-2009, 10:02 PM
The one thing about Chekhov is that although he creates great drama, he also creates very dislikeable characters. I almost get the feeling that Ivanov was inspired by a real life person who Chekhov disliked and thus experimented with - 'let's make him kill himself'. Despite this, it is evident that he has tried (and succeeded, I believe) to sympathise with Ivanov, who is so dislikeable the reader almost feels as if the suicide is justifiable.

The other character who is as dislikeable is Sasha, who believes that she is able to succeed where Anna (Ivanov's wife) has failed, and that is to provide happiness to and mould Ivanov into perfection. Chekhov's insight into this character type is incredible - more than a hundred years later, 'she' is still around. If I look into the psychology of the young adulteress today, I'm certain I will see Sasha in them.

Most women want to redeem a man, possibly because she feels guilt for bringing him down in the first place, if the Adam and Eve story is to be believed.