PDA

View Full Version : Regine

Gladys
02-25-2009, 10:07 PM
Captain Alving's daughter, Regine, may be crucial to understanding the ending of ‘Ghosts’. In considering Oswald's questionable paternity, I had overlooked the curious impact of Regine's paternity on the ending.

Until she learns that Captain Alving was her father, Regine has a positive, upbeat outlook on life. Afterwards, as Mrs Alving prophesies, 'Regine−−I can see quite well−−you are going to your ruin!'. Why the turnabout in Regina’s outlook? The obvious reasons seem hopelessly inadequate: her mother conceived her out of wedlock; she has been brought up as a maid rather than a chamberlain's daughter; her step father and mother had long deceived her; or marriage with terminally-ill Oswald, her bother, is impossible now. One may have expected Regine to be relieved that Engstrand is not her father. But no.

Isn’t it strange that Regine says nothing about her true father? This may be a key to the ending. Regine realises that she has inherited the failings of her father, a ‘pillar of society’, just as Oswald had inherited syphilis. All of a sudden she too is tangled in societies’ web of hypocrisy, and she rebels in a tragic way. A telling exchange (late in Act II) is:

Oswald. Yes, as my wife−−if she insists on that.

Manders. But, good heavens−−!

Regina. It is not my fault, Mr. Manders.

Oswald. Or else she stays here if I stay.

Regina (involuntarily). Here!

Janine
02-25-2009, 11:18 PM
Captain Alving's daughter, Regine, may be crucial to understanding the ending of ‘Ghosts’. In considering Oswald's questionable paternity, I had overlooked the curious impact of Regine's paternity on the ending.

Until she learns that Captain Alving was her father, Regine has a positive, upbeat outlook on life. Afterwards, as Mrs Alving prophesies, 'Regine−−I can see quite well−−you are going to your ruin!'. Why the turnabout in Regina’s outlook? The obvious reasons seem hopelessly inadequate: her mother conceived her out of wedlock; she has been brought up as a maid rather than a chamberlain's daughter; her step father and mother had long deceived her; or marriage with terminally-ill Oswald, her bother, is impossible now. One may have expected Regine to be relieved that Engstrand is not her father. But no.

Isn’t it strange that Regine says nothing about her true father? This may be a key to the ending. Regine realises that she has inherited the failings of her father, a ‘pillar of society’, just as Oswald had inherited syphilis. All of a sudden she too is tangled in societies’ web of hypocrisy, and she rebels in a tragic way. A telling exchange (late in Act II) is:

Oswald. Yes, as my wife−−if she insists on that.

Manders. But, good heavens−−!

Regina. It is not my fault, Mr. Manders.

Oswald. Or else she stays here if I stay.

Regina (involuntarily). Here!

Good observations, Gladys. Something really troubles me about Regina at the end. I had this very unsettling feeling about her. I still don't see how she could have married Oswald, since he knows quite well he has syphilis to begin with, even if the other truth of sister and brother were not ever revealed. That factors in, too. It seems a bit selfish of Oswald, if I look at it realistically; wouldn't he be expecting physical relations with her - afterall, he did kiss her in the dining room; therefore, what am I missing here? Wouldn't he subject her to his disease? I am bit confused on that one point. I didn't think he just wanted to be platonic with her but he knows he will be dies soon, hoping it is with her assistence.

I don't find it that strange "that Regine says nothing about her true father?" The reason I don't is because, I think she is still in shock. Remember she finds this all out in a matter of minutes. It is a large dose of reality thrown at the girl all at once. I really felt badly for her. I wondered if later on she might return to Oswald, after her anger stopped raging and see him as her true half brother; I think she does really love and admire him. This might be why it so unsettling to me. Will she just depart and never see the Alvings again? I really don't come up with a concise answer in my mind to that or exactly what will become of her in the end. I find her character has no sense of closure. With the Alvings there will be an ending eventually to their misery, first for Oswald through death, but it seems to me that Regina still has a lot of living to do. I just wonder about her more than anyone. She is truly a tragic figure in this play; maybe really the most tragic.

Gladys
02-26-2009, 04:15 AM
Something really troubles me about Regina at the end. I had this very unsettling feeling about her. I still don't see how she could have married Oswald, since he knows quite well he has syphilis to begin with... It seems a bit selfish of Oswald, if I look at it realistically; wouldn't he be expecting physical relations with her - afterall, he did kiss her in the dining room; therefore, what am I missing here? Wouldn't he subject her to his disease?

I don't find it that strange "that Regine says nothing about her true father?" I think it most strange, just as her talk of Manders in Act III is shocking. The play hinges around Captain Alving and she is his daughter.

Your unsettling feeling about Regina and Oswald, have really started me thinking. I feel I've missed something major in the ending. In particular, everything is turning rotten in this thoroughly rotten society. Only Oswald was OK...until he came back to live. I'll ponder further.