I have no dog but
I admire those my neighbours have.

I am my neighbour's neighbour.
I hear rumours from downtown
that things aren't going well.
I live just over the hill.

I am the friend of a few I hold dear.
Wednesdays I work at the neighbourhood Mission.
I am my neighbour's neighbour.

Silas Thorne
02-25-2009, 09:34 PM
Just an opinion on my first few readings of this poem. I'll come back in a few hours and reread and see if my opinion changes.

First of all, these lines really interested me straightaway and gave me a smile:

Most evenings
I walk around the block.
I have no dog but

However, I read it a few more times and honestly didn't really get much else out of it. My thinking is that because of the apparently obvious statements, it is very easy to only read this poem on a surface level, and it seems in some way, to me anyway, too simply stated. This I think would also be the case if you read the poem aloud to someone.

PrinceMyshkin
02-25-2009, 10:29 PM
Just an opinion on my first few readings of this poem. I'll come back in a few hours and reread and see if my opinion changes.

First of all, these lines really interested me straightaway and gave me a smile:

Most evenings
I walk around the block.
I have no dog but

However, I read it a few more times and honestly didn't really get much else out of it. My thinking is that because of the apparently obvious statements, it is very easy to only read this poem on a surface level, and it seems in some way, to me anyway, too simply stated. This I think would also be the case if you read the poem aloud to someone.

Thanks for the candour, Silas. I wasn't aiming for anything deep, more like a character sketch. It started with nothing more than the two lines that I subsequently repeated several times, and I went with the seemingly contradictory statements of his being your next door neighbour yet being some distance, somewhat hidden from you.