PDA

View Full Version : Feed by M.T Anderon

Dark Muse
02-23-2009, 01:30 AM
Though written as a Young Adult book I found Feed to really be quite good as well as interesting, and scary how not so far from the truth it really is. I quite enjoyed this book, it may be so far one of my favorite things we read for my Child Lit. class

It is a sci-fi story depicting a rather bleak picture of the future of the world. The environment is completely screwed up, Nature is pretty much non-existent, air actually has to be produced in air factories. Visiting the moon is now like traveling to another country, and has been developed. America is completely run by corporations .

And one of the main ideas behind the book is the fact that now, the Internet is programmed into your brains. People have these computer ships inserted in their heads, so anything you would do on a computer, you just pretty much do inside your head. And you get like advertising banners streaming inside your head whenever you go out to a store or something, and it is just like on the Internet where companies store information things you seem to be interested in so they can then make suggestions to you of things you should buy, and people are fitted into these basic personality profiles and no one has to think for themselves anymore because everything is fed to them through a computer.

Even schools have become run and owned by corporations, and so in schools the only thing they are taught in school is just how to function in the world, how to use their "feeds" and how to use new technology, and how to shop and find jobs, but they are not taught any other knowledge, things like history, literature, philosophy and so forth are rendered obsolete.

You are not encouraged to really think or question things but just supposed to live in the "now"