PDA

View Full Version : A man marries to have a home, (...)

Regina61285
02-17-2009, 06:37 PM
A man marries to have a home, but also because he doesn't want to be bothered with sex and all that sort of thing.(S. Maugham)

I don't understand what the last clause means. Can you help me? come on just any idea... was it because he was gay? or because he didn't want to be bothered as regards his sexuality? help me plz!!!!!

subterranean
02-17-2009, 07:02 PM
Well, first thing that came to my mind was I thought the reason he said that because man would find it easier to fulfill his biological needs once he has a wife. But as I asked my friend, who happen to be a male, he said that it is meant to be a joke, an ironic statement since, according to him, it is a common thought (among men in this case) that people, when they got married, they'd have less sexual intercourse.

Virgil
02-17-2009, 07:21 PM
A man marries to have a home, but also because he doesn't want to be bothered with sex and all that sort of thing.(S. Maugham)

I don't understand what the last clause means. Can you help me? come on just any idea... was it because he was gay? or because he didn't want to be bothered as regards his sexuality? help me plz!!!!!

:lol: Well, let me put it this way, sex drops off in frequency after the first year of marriage. Maugham seems to be blaming the male of the couple, but frankly when I have discussed this with other married men, we've come to the conclusion it's the female side of the equation that seems to be the culprit. :D

pagebypage
02-17-2009, 07:45 PM
I agree with Virgil. Just the Maugham wit in action.

Regina61285
02-17-2009, 07:54 PM
:lol: Well, let me put it this way, sex drops off in frequency after the first year of marriage. Maugham seems to be blaming the male of the couple, but frankly when I have discussed this with other married men, we've come to the conclusion it's the female side of the equation that seems to be the culprit. :D

oh:blush: ok!!! :lol: so It's because there is not much sex in a marriage specially because of women. It's a joke. OK. he is being ironic not giving an statement. :D

Well, first thing that came to my mind was I thought the reason he said that because man would find it easier to fulfill his biological needs once he has a wife. But as I asked my friend, who happen to be a male, he said that it is meant to be a joke, an ironic statement since, according to him, it is a common thought (among men in this case) that people, when they got married, they'd have less sexual intercourse.