PDA

View Full Version : The Jane Austen hero vote

Niamh
02-17-2009, 05:52 PM
So, all of us are different, and not all of us like the same books to most.
So this is my question, which Jane Austen Hero was your favourite and Why?
Mine is Captain Wentworth. Why? Do i need to explain! what a heart! and the letter! (Why cant men really be like that.)

Wilde woman
02-17-2009, 06:47 PM
Agreed, Wentworth's letter is simply one of the most heartfelt I've ever read - especially in an Austen novel!

Lokasenna
02-18-2009, 03:58 AM
Agreed. Wentworth seems like he's going to be popular!

Jassica
02-18-2009, 07:44 AM
For me, it was choice between Bertram, Wentworth and Darcy...
And I chose Edmund Bertram... Don't know, how to explain)

Niamh
02-18-2009, 12:02 PM
Really? Edmund? I admit i did like him, but i spent most of the book screaming at him to open his god damn eyes! (same way i did with Roger Hamley in Wives and Daughers by Gaskell :p Although i like Roger more than Edmund!) I think i prefered Henry Tilney more than Edmund, and Mr Knightley the least of all.

Jassica
02-19-2009, 05:29 AM
i spent most of the book screaming at him to open his god damn eyes!
Yes, I spent it in such a way, but then it was really joy, that he did it at last!
Yesterday I reread Northanger abbey and now I am in favour of Henry Tilney))) So, it depends on what novel I read the last)))

Niamh
02-24-2009, 09:14 AM
*bump*
come on people! :D

LadyWentworth
03-12-2009, 12:30 AM
Yeah, I would have to agree that Tilney is better than Edmund. I might like Knightley better than Edmund, though. I suppose it doesn't matter, but I actually like Colonel Brandon better than any of the others that are listed here (excluding Wentworth of course!!! :D).

eyemaker
03-12-2009, 12:45 AM
I voted Wentworth

GX4146
03-12-2009, 03:09 AM
im going for mr knightley, he's so sure of himself without being rude. and i like the way he and emma argue; he's the only guy in the book who knows where everybody stands.

wentworth spent half the book flirting with the musgrove girls. nearly fainted at louisa's accident. call that romantic.

warm
03-12-2009, 05:34 AM
Mr Darcy. I just love how he's able to change himself to get the woman he loves.
And! Pemberley just seems like one of the most awesome places to stay in.

optimisticnad
03-12-2009, 08:42 AM
Wentworth of course!

And he's in the lead! Go Wentworth, Go Wentworth, Go Wentworth....

optimisticnad
03-12-2009, 08:45 AM
im going for mr knightley, he's so sure of himself without being rude. and i like the way he and emma argue; he's the only guy in the book who knows where everybody stands.

wentworth spent half the book flirting with the musgrove girls. nearly fainted at louisa's accident. call that romantic.

He did not flirt with the Musgrove girls! :bawling: He was being friendly and complete unaware that his motives and actions were being misintrpreted. And that he nearly fainted at Louisa's accident - does not make him any less of a man but rather a sensitive man! Now that's romantic.

Mr Knightley - ok I guess but please - the letures the man can give! I wouldn't survive a week living with him! And he's rather ...judgemental, yeah that's the word!

optimisticnad
03-12-2009, 08:48 AM
Mr Darcy. I just love how he's able to change himself to get the woman he loves.

Darcy is second to Wentworth I'm afraid. I wish Austen did a character with both their qualities combined. And yes it's admirable how Darcy is able to work on his defects - not to get the woman he loves - but rather because the woman he loved found them, he didn't know she would return his feelings, he just wanted to be a better person just for knowing her. Hang on...perhaps Darcy is the best...wait no...Wentworth....Darcy... damn...

warm
03-12-2009, 09:03 AM
Darcy is second to Wentworth I'm afraid. I wish Austen did a character with both their qualities combined. And yes it's admirable how Darcy is able to work on his defects - not to get the woman he loves - but rather because the woman he loved found them, he didn't know she would return his feelings, he just wanted to be a better person just for knowing her. Hang on...perhaps Darcy is the best...wait no...Wentworth....Darcy... damn...

Well, technically I believe his ultimate aim was to make himself agreeable in Elizabeth's eyes; and in doing so, he not only gets her, but also, as you said, corrected himself in the defects in his character which Elizabeth had found disgusting at first. :D

It's just wonderful how Austen created such lovely characters to have us so torn between choosing the more favoured one. XD

kelby_lake
03-12-2009, 01:48 PM
I've only read one and the BBC version is brill so...Darcy :)

LadyWentworth
03-12-2009, 02:03 PM
So, you, too, have fallen in love with him because of "his beautiful grounds at Pemberley". ;) Yes, yes, you think he is an OK guy, too. But admit it. The thought of being mistress to that place would probably be the best part of it all. :D

JBI
03-12-2009, 02:45 PM
Geez, I'm surprised Darcy isn't winning. I wouldn't have put Tinley there though, since he is an anti-romantic hero, deliberately, and is a satirical hero on the romance, rather than an aspect of the romance.

optimisticnad
03-12-2009, 02:45 PM
Well, technically I believe his ultimate aim was to make himself agreeable in Elizabeth's eyes; and in doing so, he not only gets her, but also, as you said, corrected himself in the defects in his character which Elizabeth had found disgusting at first. :D

It's just wonderful how Austen created such lovely characters to have us so torn between choosing the more favoured one. XD

I believe his meetings with Jane after his declaration of love weren't planned therefore he had no idea whether by working on his defects he would be more agreeable to Elizabeth; which is why I said he 'worked' on himself not because he knew he would see her again and wanted her to like him but rather simply because the woman he loved found his defects. Whether she was in his life or not he was a better person for simply having known her. Now that's love! Aww. . .

And yeah 'totally', Austen created wonderful men. . . sigh...men on paper hey.

Janine
03-12-2009, 02:47 PM
I voted for Wentworth; I liked his quiet reserve and of course the letter was amazing. However, I also wanted to vote for Knightly. I've always seen him as setting Emma straight; she needed to be put in her place (I did not find it lecturing at all; she asked for it when she was so rude to people who she considered lower than herself). I had great sympathy for him hiding his love until the ending of the book. He seemed to have a lot of deep compassion for number of the characters. He sets things right at the end and I liked that about him. He stuck to his principals. I was amazed to find him so unpopular around here. Oh well, at least in the film version I watched (first I read the book), I really did look up to Knightly as a heroic character.

optimisticnad
03-12-2009, 02:52 PM
So, you, too, have fallen in love with him because of "his beautiful grounds at Pemberley". ;) Yes, yes, you think he is an OK guy, too. But admit it. The thought of being mistress to that place would probably be the best part of it all. :D

I've always got the impression that 'his beautiful grounds at Pemberley' were a metaphor for something else... :brow::brow:

:lol:

LadyWentworth
03-12-2009, 05:35 PM
I've always got the impression that 'his beautiful grounds at Pemberley' were a metaphor for something else... :brow::brow:

I never thought about that before. Now, you've got me thinking it, too. :lol:

Niamh
03-12-2009, 05:55 PM
:lol: only Opti could have thought of that! :lol:

This poll is starting to show a preference! Go Wentworth!

Scheherazade
03-12-2009, 05:59 PM
This is amazing. I cannot stand Wentworth!

:D

wessexgirl
03-12-2009, 06:16 PM
Ooh choices, choices! I love Darcy and Wentworth, and Knightley! However, much as I adore Wentworth, I get seasick, so today I feel like experiencing the "wonderful grounds at Pemberley" :brow::lol:. Tomorrow I may feel more adventurous, and decide on travelling with Wentworth, or I may feel like being talked sternly to by Knightley :D. They're all lovely, but I will go with Darcy today, (even though I voted Wentworth on another poll).

optimisticnad
03-12-2009, 06:18 PM
This is amazing. I cannot stand Wentworth!

:eek2::eek2::eek2:

you did not just say that! no way! oh my god...I've always looked up to you and been rather intimidated but...come on! that's it! no more. Why? Why don't you like Wentworth? I'm so relived that for once Darcy isn't winning. :D

:argue:

:lol: only Opti could have thought of that! :lol:

:angel:

And yes, Wentworth all the way...(until I pick up P&P again in the summer, or the next Austen novel?)

LadyWentworth
03-12-2009, 06:21 PM
I'm so relived that for once Darcy isn't winning. :D

Oooh....I hope that you didn't just jinx that!
I want my Wentworth to remain #1!!! :D

optimisticnad
03-12-2009, 06:22 PM
P.s - in the movie version in the infamous scene where COlin Firth is soaked and bumps into Jane as she is looking around the grounds - did you not see how ...sexy he looked, or the very subtle way she looked at him up and down? That's where I got my idea from - she changed her mind when she saw his grounds all right! :lol: Definitely a metaphor for something else !

Oooh....I hope that you didn't just jinx that!
I want my Wentworth to remain #1!!! :D

Well he needs 8 more votes, I propose we now hide this thread so no one else can vote - or close it, we've got a winner now! :lol:

Scheherazade
03-12-2009, 06:24 PM
:eek2::eek2::eek2:

you did not just say that! no way! oh my god...I've always looked up to you and been rather intimidated but...come on! that's it! no more. Why? Why don't you like Wentworth? I'm so relived that for once Darcy isn't winning. :D

:argue:Really? You have looked up to me??? But you surely need not to. I bet you are taller than me! ;)

What makes Wentworth interesting or attractive? He barely shows anything throughout the novel. I like Tilney far better he shows some sense of humour.

optimisticnad
03-13-2009, 06:24 AM
Really? You have looked up to me??? But you surely need not to. I bet you are taller than me! ;)

What makes Wentworth interesting or attractive? He barely shows anything throughout the novel. I like Tilney far better he shows some sense of humour.

You're the boss around here! :lol:

warm
03-13-2009, 08:46 AM

No woman can resist the thought of being mistress to Pemberley. Hahaa!

P.s - in the movie version in the infamous scene where COlin Firth is soaked and bumps into Jane as she is looking around the grounds - did you not see how ...sexy he looked, or the very subtle way she looked at him up and down? That's where I got my idea from - she changed her mind when she saw his grounds all right! :lol: Definitely a metaphor for something else !

Well he needs 8 more votes, I propose we now hide this thread so no one else can vote - or close it, we've got a winner now! :lol:
That scene was very much just like fan service to me. I don't see the significance of adding that to the serial! :lol:

optimisticnad
03-13-2009, 11:33 AM

That scene was very much just like fan service to me. I don't see the significance of adding that to the serial! :lol:

Perhaps the significance lies in the double entendre I suggested. Who knows for sure, but I'm not complaining!

Why can't we vote twice?! - THat would then be 18 votes for Wentworth!

Scheherazade
03-13-2009, 11:44 AM
Why can't we vote twice?! - THat would then be 18 votes for Wentworth!cuz den Id vote 4 Tilney or Darcy.

looooooooooollllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!

warm
03-13-2009, 12:11 PM
Darcy's catching up! XD

qimissung
03-13-2009, 01:34 PM
I'm torn between Knightley, Darcy and Wentworth. How long do I have to make up my mind?

mosimo
03-17-2009, 06:41 PM
I probably was not a good one to vote as it was not very educated. I have only read Pride and Prejudice and Northanger Abbey. Meaning not a very educated vote but I voted nonetheless.

Scheherazade
03-17-2009, 07:36 PM
I probably was not a good one to vote as it was not very educated. I have only read Pride and Prejudice and Northanger Abbey. Meaning not a very educated vote but I voted nonetheless.Hey, this is an excellent point.

How many of Austen books have you guys read?

*has read them all at least twice*

*beams*

GX4146
03-17-2009, 09:53 PM
read all six at least four times ;P

i can't believe it. ten votes for wentworth.

mona amon
03-18-2009, 12:06 AM
Just turned the tide by voting for Darcy. :p

Who can resist a man as violently in love as he is with Elizabeth? ;)

How many of Austen books have you guys read?

All, more than once. :)

Niamh
03-21-2009, 05:38 PM
I've read them all, including lady susan, the incompletes of the watsons and sandition and a collection of stories under the title catherine and other stories. Persuasion is the one i've read the most.

MissScarlett
03-21-2009, 05:43 PM
Jane Austen is my favorite author.

It's George Knightley for me. He seems to have some sense of fun (really!). I found Darcy quite romantic, but a little too reserved.

LadyWentworth
03-21-2009, 06:03 PM
True. :)

I'm torn between Knightley, Darcy and Wentworth. How long do I have to make up my mind?
Well, there isn't a time limit, but I noticed that you still haven't voted. Just think about that letter that Wentworth wrote. How could you resist a man that would write something like that? :D So go vote! :D

I've read them all, including lady susan, the incompletes of the watsons and sandition and a collection of stories under the title catherine and other stories. Persuasion is the one i've read the most.
Ditto. :)

optimisticnad
03-22-2009, 10:40 AM
read all six at least four times ;P

i can't believe it. ten votes for wentworth.

Do you mean he deserves more? Or less? :lol:

Darcy is winning! I'm not the faithful kind - sorry Wentworth but - go Darcy! LOL.

LadyWentworth
03-22-2009, 03:00 PM
Do you mean he deserves more? Or less? :lol: :lol: I was trying to figure that out. :)

Darcy is winning! I'm not the faithful kind - sorry Wentworth but - go Darcy! LOL.
Yeah, well, Wentworth is closer. I see that he is only one vote behind now. :)

Niamh
03-22-2009, 03:14 PM
wentworth is the best!

kiki1982
03-22-2009, 03:31 PM
P.s - in the movie version in the infamous scene where COlin Firth is soaked and bumps into Jane as she is looking around the grounds - did you not see how ...sexy he looked, or the very subtle way she looked at him up and down? That's where I got my idea from - she changed her mind when she saw his grounds all right! Definitely a metaphor for something else !

Yep, there was something more going on... Besides of course branding poor Firth and Darcy as sex symbols there was thankfully a deeper theme of washing, baptism and transformation in Darcy. At least Firth was not undressed for nothing. Although, that wuld also have been ok...:p

LadyWentworth
03-22-2009, 03:53 PM
wentworth is the best!
We both know this. Obviously 9 others feel the same. But how are we all going to convince the rest of the world that this is a fact? :p

kiki1982
03-22-2009, 04:08 PM
After Scott's Ivanhoe, Persuasion is on the shelf. If there is some time left, I could help you out, but I'm not making any promises...

Darcy is too lovely. Ferrars nor Brandon, nor Willoughby could beat him, though. So there there might be hope for Wentworth according to this poll...

optimisticnad
03-22-2009, 04:39 PM
We both know this. Obviously 9 others feel the same. But how are we all going to convince the rest of the world that this is a fact? :p

Hypnosis? :D

If that fails - make them vote at gun point.

kiki1982
03-22-2009, 04:50 PM
:eek: :eek2:

Oh...

Feel a strange urge...

Vote for Wentworth...

Hand going up...

No, no, I don't want to...

Hand going, ugh, difficult to hold back...

'And your back in the room'.

Sorry, my own will is too strong, I'm afraid. But maybe this Austen book will become one in-betweenie as well...

Scheherazade
03-22-2009, 04:54 PM
What makes Wentworth so "irresistible"?

RobinHood3000
03-22-2009, 05:37 PM
I voted Darcy, although I confess that I'm most familiar with Darcy and Knightley (who was a very close second) and am only passingly aware of Edward Ferrars.

Niamh
03-24-2009, 08:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPVlnLk6DzM&feature=PlayList&p=7CDBE6E801FB768B&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=11
What makes Wentworth so "irresistible"?

Scheherazade
03-24-2009, 08:30 AM
Is it the actor or Wenthworth we are covetting? ;)

In my opinion, throughout the book he fails to show any existence so couple of lines in a letter fail to win me over.

wessexgirl
03-24-2009, 09:19 AM
Yep, there was something more going on... Besides of course branding poor Firth and Darcy as sex symbols there was thankfully a deeper theme of washing, baptism and transformation in Darcy. At least Firth was not undressed for nothing. Although, that wuld also have been ok...:p

:lol: I watched P&P again on Sunday, for Mother's Day, my treat. I voted for Darcy, but Wentworth and Knightley are close runners up. Did you know though, that it wasn't Colin Firth swimming in that pond? It was a stuntman, as it was too dangerous apparently, he could have caught something. I don't suppose the fact that the stuntman could have too crossed their minds? I have to say that my mother, who is in her 70s, is obsessed with Darcy/Firth now after seeing the adaptation. She has bought the dvd for virtually everyone she knows, and even talks to complete strangers about it/him. He obviously did such a fantastic job that she's besotted :lol:.

Snowqueen
03-24-2009, 09:20 AM
Pemberley just seems like one of the most awesome places to stay in.

And its owner is very rich and handsome, so I'll vote for Darcy.;)

optimisticnad
03-24-2009, 09:27 AM
:eek: :eek2:

Oh...

Feel a strange urge...

Vote for Wentworth...

Hand going up...

No, no, I don't want to...

Hand going, ugh, difficult to hold back...

'And your back in the room'.

Sorry, my own will is too strong, I'm afraid. But maybe this Austen book will become one in-betweenie as well...

:lol::lol:

Need a stronger dose...and how do you know I didn't make you vote under hypnosis and then for your own peace of mind make you believe what you wrote above? Anything is possible under hypnosis....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPVlnLk6DzM&feature=PlayList&p=7CDBE6E801FB768B&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=11

Oh Rupert Jones is gorgeous, not exactly a great actor but loved him in Persuasion.

Niamh
03-24-2009, 11:15 AM
One doesnt fall for Wentworth because he's got money and a beautiful house, one falls for his unwavering love and passion.

hollylite
03-24-2009, 01:16 PM

I agree there. I love Mr. Darcy too.:lol: he can just be a jerk at times.:)

kiki1982
03-24-2009, 01:28 PM
:lol: I watched P&P again on Sunday, for Mother's Day, my treat. I voted for Darcy, but Wentworth and Knightley are close runners up. Did you know though, that it wasn't Colin Firth swimming in that pond? It was a stuntman, as it was too dangerous apparently, he could have caught something. I don't suppose the fact that the stuntman could have too crossed their minds? I have to say that my mother, who is in her 70s, is obsessed with Darcy/Firth now after seeing the adaptation. She has bought the dvd for virtually everyone she knows, and even talks to complete strangers about it/him. He obviously did such a fantastic job that she's besotted :lol:.

Yeah, I did know, I saw a documentary about costume drama on ITV... Anyway, did you know that that scene was actually meant as a nude scene, but that Firth had mroblems with it? Lucky strike actually, because Darcy was much nicer with his wet shirt...

Your mother is great! Firth will pleased to know that his sex appeal goes as far as ladies in their 70s. If he can't get girls like Bridget Jones, nothing's lost... Damn, he's married.

But anyway, it was a great adaptation. I wrote something on it on my blog. It is amazing how consistent it was...

kiki1982
03-24-2009, 01:31 PM

Need a stronger dose...and how do you know I didn't make you vote under hypnosis and then for your own peace of mind make you believe what you wrote above? Anything is possible under hypnosis....

Because my computer was not hypnotised and according to this forum I can still vote and that doesn't work when I have already done so. Unless of course you meddled with my computer and the server...

But I've felt ever so strange since yesterday... Maybe something happened anyway...

optimisticnad
03-24-2009, 06:04 PM
One doesnt fall for Wentworth because he's got money and a beautiful house, one falls for his unwavering love and passion.

BRAVO! Couldn't have said it better.

17! Everytime I come back to check this thread Darcy has more votes. So...I think it's all my fault! If i stop checking...who knows....:lol: I'm also suspicious that some people here, not all so don't jump down my throat please (especially when i'm stressed about tomorrow), as I was saying I suspect some people have only read P and P and know about the hype and how wonderful Darcy is and that beyond that initial attraction and fame they know nothing of substance. Now I'm going to be plagued with hate emails - I wouldn't normally mind but could I please request that you wait until after tomorrow? Thank you.

kiki1982
03-25-2009, 04:36 AM
Man, I'll have tread Persuasion damn quick. Even better than Darcy Wentworth seems to be... But that is why I don't vote, because I haven't read Emma nor Persuasion and going by the votes, I can't really call it a responsible vote to presume Darcy is the best, 'cause it seems to be very close...

Ciaran Hinds played him and I saw a little piece of that (their first kiss in Bath with a carnival going past). He is indeed subtle, but not less a man for it...

kiki1982
05-11-2009, 02:25 PM
Rejoyce! Unless Austen's original hero was worse than Hinds played him (which is hardly possible. When does the man actually play not brilliantly?) there might be another Wentworth-lover voting for Wentworth.

Today I was watching JE 1997 again on YouTube and bumped into Wentworth. Waw, what a man! The end... It just all came tumbling down and revealed fireworks.

I have almost finished Dorian Gray and I am eager to start on Persuasion without a doubt. Hopefully I can still wait for the end of Dorian Gray because I'm really thinking about starting tonight!

wessexgirl
05-11-2009, 02:55 PM
Rejoyce! Unless Austen's original hero was worse than Hinds played him (which is hardly possible. When does the man actually play not brilliantly?) there might be another Wentworth-lover voting for Wentworth.

Today I was watching JE 1997 again on YouTube and bumped into Wentworth. Waw, what a man! The end... It just all came tumbling down and revealed fireworks.

I have almost finished Dorian Gray and I am eager to start on Persuasion without a doubt. Hopefully I can still wait for the end of Dorian Gray because I'm really thinking about starting tonight!

Hi Kiki, take a look over on Celebrity Crushes, as Ciaran is on my list

I love Ciaran Hinds too, TMOC is so sad, and he was just the best ever Wentworth in Persuasion and was great as Rochester. (but my favourite ever Rochester is Toby Stephens). He seems to excel in these period roles doesn't he? Julius Caesar was brilliant too.

kiki1982
05-11-2009, 03:36 PM
Hi Kiki, take a look over on Celebrity Crushes, as Ciaran is on my list

I love Ciaran Hinds too, TMOC is so sad, and he was just the best ever Wentworth in Persuasion and was great as Rochester. (but my favourite ever Rochester is Toby Stephens). He seems to excel in these period roles doesn't he? Julius Caesar was brilliant too.

Thanks for the tip. IMDb is also great to look at. Most actors have great biographies although Hinds seems to be a problem as he has kept himself anonymous despite the celberity craze...

Anyway. I liked Hinds better than Stephens. I found Stephens too soft, but that was maybe his script... I think that 1997 JE was well on its way to be another definitive adaptation (much as P&P, also partly an A&E-production), only they decided to downsize it a little. This Rochester could have been the best, but had an insufficient script. Toby Stephens I found too soft and not superior enough and foremost unrealistic as a 40-year-old. Although the man was about forty, I thought that he looked too young for his part, whereas Hinds was about right. Stephens can't help it, but maybe they should have done something about it. I also thought that Hinds' natural flair in cotume drama greatly contributed to his manner of 'having spent no day anywhere else than in these clothes and this Victorian world'. Stephens' posture and manner of walking I didn't find really attracttive and much too ungentlemanly (legs wide open is a no-no for a Victorian gentleman). But then maybe we should look at what the director told him to do to a certain extent...

And you know what he didn't even read JE 'because you should never put anything more in a script than there is in it'. Amazing. Just shows you how right the script was and how much he studied it.

But anyway, I am clearly biassed :D.

Frankie Anne
05-12-2009, 12:13 AM
I voted for Wentworth. That letter always gets to the heart of me. <sigh>

*Classic*Charm*
05-12-2009, 12:18 AM
It's all about Darcy!!

I'm glad no one voted for Edward Ferrers. What a pansy.

Frankie Anne
05-12-2009, 12:28 AM
I've always much preferred Colonel Brandon over Edward. I agree with the word "pansy" - something Brandon was not!

Nightshade
05-12-2009, 09:06 AM
pfft I am going to have to reread all the Austens now arent I? Ive never seen the appeal of Darcy, and though Mansfield Park is by far my fav, Edmund is a right Twit, in fact come to think of it from memory they all wanted there heads smashing tgether. Pomppos annoying and self rightous, buht I will reread to make sure this isnt just the mists of time clouding my memory. :nod: :D

*Classic*Charm*
05-12-2009, 12:11 PM
I've always much preferred Colonel Brandon over Edward. I agree with the word "pansy" - something Brandon was not!

Oh yes, I think Brandon should have been on the list! He's right up there with Darcy!! No pansy there ;)

kiki1982
05-12-2009, 12:42 PM
I agree about Colonel Brandon. Creme of a guy and so very moderate in his judgment... How he solves a little of the problem for Ferrars. Charming...

Don't you just love that piece at the end where Austen writs:

'A three weeks' residence at Delaford, where, in his evening hours at least, he had little to do but calculate the disproportion between thirty-six and seventeen, brought him to Barton in a temper of mind which needed all the improvement in Marianne's looks, all the kindness of her welcome, and all the encouragement of her mother's language, to make it cheerful.'

I can just see it now, Colonel Brandon alone in his mansion and doing nothing else but asking himself whether he would dare to ask... And being thrown back and forth between decisions. :lol: Poor man... And he doesn't even know what they said about him in the beginning. Knowing that, he might just not have bothered:

'Colonel Brandon is old enough to be my father; and if he were ever animated enough to be in love, must have long outlived every sensation of the kind. It is too ridiculous! When is a man to be safe from such wit, if age and infirmity will not protect him?'

What? 36 and one is not allowed to fall in love anymore? :lol:

'Did not you hear him complain of the rheumatism? and is not that the commonest infirmity of declining life?'

and:

'But he talked of flannel waistcoats and with me a flannel waistcoat is invariably connected with aches, cramps, rheumatisms, and every species of ailment that can afflict the old and the feeble.'

Makes me think how lucky we are now that our men of 36 are not 'old and feeble' or 'infirm' and still have a long time to go before their life will be declining... .

kiki1982
05-24-2009, 10:00 AM
Waw, what a book. Darcy was something, but Wentworth... There is indeed no beating him.

I started three days ago reading that thing. It must be a record. Pride and Prejudice was a record, but Persuasion beat it.

It'll have to be a vote for Frederick, for his letter and his words afterwards.

Niamh
05-24-2009, 06:48 PM
Brandon has been added. :)

Although i admit i do have a soft spot for Ferrars.

kiki1982
05-25-2009, 05:57 AM
I agree with Ferrars. He's a lovely guy. Only, had been a little rash in his youth with that Lucy-girl... But I think, out of the two, Brandon is the lovelier man because he cared for the natural daughter of that old love of his...

Although, Willoughby gets redeemed a little in the end. Shame that it is too late for him...

Plumbum
08-06-2009, 02:25 AM
Naturally, I would say the ever-so dashing Mr. Darcy, but lately I've been nursing a soft spot for Henry Tilney. He's so lively and flirtatious compared to the other, more brooding men. I could see myself actually falling for a guy like that in real life, whereas I find Darcy and Wentworth way too good to be true.

kiki1982
08-06-2009, 04:26 AM
If we now start to like flirtacious men, then we should maybe include Mr Frank Churchill from Emma. He was so lovely and played so wll by Raymond Coulthard...

*swoon* :redface:

Niamh
08-15-2009, 05:14 PM
Ooo! Wentworth and Darcy are back as neck and neck.

wessexgirl
08-15-2009, 06:13 PM
Ooh I voted ages ago. Perhaps we can have more than one vote if others have been added, i.e. Colonel Brandon? It's so hard to choose just one......:nod:

Jazz_
01-05-2010, 02:45 AM
Darcy or Wentworth? :confused:

Darcy's ability to reform and his assistance with Jane and Lydia are both huge positives, but Wentworth's letter (not to mention the 8 years of consistent love)...

I think I have to vote Darcy, but it's a very difficult decision :eek:
(I also like Tilney and Brandon, but not nearly as much as Darcy/Wentworth)

I'm very excited - just ordered Austen's Complete Works (Hardback)... can't wait to re-read :D

L.M. The Third
02-03-2010, 04:29 PM
At first I was going to vote for Mr. Knightly. I know some think he lectures, but he does have a sense of humor - though more towards the end. And, for some unknown reason, the chap. where he meets Emma after finding out about Churchill's engagement always gets to me.

But, having only read "Persuasion" once and "Emma" about three times maybe I'll see why Wentworth's so high with most of you. How long is the poll open?

(Have read all the books, some several times)

Veho
02-03-2010, 04:44 PM
I voted for Wentworth. His letter at the end got me; "you pierce my soul". Intense, (for Austen).

kiki1982
02-03-2010, 04:47 PM
Yes, and Wentworth is in the lead again with one length!! :banana:

Niamh
02-03-2010, 05:48 PM
woohoo!!!

kiki1982
02-03-2010, 06:27 PM
Let's close the thread :D

Niamh
02-03-2010, 07:55 PM
nah! we gotta keep it going!

kiki1982
07-21-2010, 06:52 AM
Yep, definitely Darcy or Wentworth (Wentworth in my case, naturally). I have just finished Northanger Abbey and have now met Henry Tilney. I must say, he charms the pants off you (*blush*, not literally of course) and he is smart, funny, lovely and sarcastic, his speech can be ever so acute and funny, but als endearing and sincere, but the other two are just that little bit better.
Tilney is just the man whom you are terrified of the first time you meet him, because you don't know what strange thing he's going to say next and if he is making fun of you or not. And his mind is so quick (the hyacinth and rose-thing, that was great!).

But that aside, my table goes as follows:
1 Wentworth
1,5 Darcy
2 Tilney
3 Brandon
4 Ferrars
10 Thorpe (:sick:)

Although I still have to read Mansfield Park and then I'm through :(.

Niamh
07-21-2010, 09:24 AM
Although I still have to read Mansfield Park and then I'm through :(.

Better get to it! :D

Scarlett O'Hara
09-30-2010, 09:55 AM
It seems to be simply between Wentworth and Darcy (won't discount Knightley though)
Since I couldn't decide - like many others here it seems - I had to base this decision on how many times I have read each novel.
Thus...Darcy wins in my eyes.

Snowqueen
01-12-2011, 02:46 PM
I have recently read Emma and found out that George Knightley has a very strong character. But he got only 6 votes how very sad!

Ecurb
01-12-2011, 06:32 PM
I'm the only person voting for Henry Tilney? I'll grant that Darcy has all the cash (I'm sure that's why he leads the voting), but he's not nearly as cool as Tilney, and neither is Wentworth. Anyone who takes months and months to figure out he should marry Anne Eliot is doesn't deserve any votes. Knightley is fine, but he's sort of a prosey stick-in-the-mud. Edmund Bertram is willing to sanction banishing his own sister to a life with Mrs. Norris, and tells his ex-grilfriend that he's not only breaking up with her, but that he can no longer think well of her, either (she had the temerity to suggest that she might HELP Henry and Maria, instead of fainting in horror at their awful sin).

Of course Brandon, with his arthritis and meloncholia, is no contender, and neither is Edward Ferrars (who is too boring).

That leaves Tilney, who is too reasonable to demand anything more in a girl than ignorance:

The advantages of natural folly in a beautiful girl have been already set forth by the capital pen of a sister author; and to her treatment of the subject I will only add, in justice to men, that though to the larger and more trifling part of the sex, imbecility in females is a great enhancement of their personal charms, there is a portion of them too reasonable and too well informed themselves to desire anything more in woman than ignorance.

mona amon
01-13-2011, 12:06 AM
While I voted for Darcy myself, I'm glad to see at least one vote for Tilney, a great favourite of mine. :D

kiki1982
01-13-2011, 05:46 AM
Haha, Ecurb! For me it was Wentworth. Darcy was a close second, although I hadn't actually got acquainted with Mr Tilney yet.

However, Darcy is a bit of a Tilney, only less outspoken. He also desired something more in his wife than imbecility, which is why Caroline couldn't actually claim him, because, apart from singing and walking, there was nothing to her :D. He only didn't say. And he was really a bit on the quiet side, which didn't help him in society. But, I think, a charming and dutiful man when it comes to it. And cash, but I don't think that is his major good point.

Wentworth is a bit pittiable, I grant you that, but it takes balls to tell a woman you are really... groveling. Ok, it took 'breaking [Louisa?]'s head' and a friend to talk to Anne, but at least he saw his mistake. And he is highly intelligent as well. Saw a program last night about making promotion in the Royal Navy. Up to 5 hour exam, oral, in front of a jury, about what to do in certain situations. If you misjudged one situation, you failed and it took years to be accepted for a new exam. :eek: So he has done very well in getting promotion so quickly, although that could be partly due to his brother-in-law.

Can't say anything about Bertram. But, yes, Ferrars is boring. I think people here called him a 'pansy'. That's about right, I think :D. Brandon is indeed cute, but not really more than cute. A bit of a dreamer, I think. ah

But I agree with you that Tilney is most charming! His joy for life is very engaging, but I think he will turn into a cynical old man if his marriage does not work out very well. A bit like Mr Bennet, maybe.

And I think that that quote is maybe not so gratifying as it seems... Because if he, as a part of that 'too reasonable and too well-informed [portion of his sex]', then '[he] [doesn't] desire anything more in woman than ignorance', which means, he has something against imbecility (which cannot be helped), but has nothing against 'ignorance', which can be helped, but will always keep him as the superior in the reliationship. :D However, living together with a wife who can't do two plus two, is a bit frustrating. Of course, we want to presume that they were really happy until the end of their lives, Henry ad Catherine Tilney. :)

Ecurb
01-13-2011, 12:44 PM
As far as Tilney demanding nothing more in a pretty girl than ignorance, Austen could be a bit sarcastic at times, couldn't she? I like Darcy, actually, mainly for his own sarcastic talents at polishing off Caroline Bingley. Here's one (rather long) example, the last sentence of which is a good example of Darcy's talents:

.... Mr. Hurst looked at her with astonishment.

"Do you prefer reading to cards?" said he; "that is rather singular."

"Miss Eliza Bennet," said Miss Bingley, "despises cards. She is a great reader, and has no pleasure in anything else."

"I deserve neither such praise nor such censure," cried Elizabeth; "I am not a great reader, and I have pleasure in many things."

"In nursing your sister I am sure you have pleasure," said Bingley; "and I hope it will soon be increased by seeing her quite well."

Elizabeth thanked him from her heart, and then walked towards a table where a few books were lying. He immediately offered to fetch her others -- all that his library afforded.

"And I wish my collection were larger for your benefit and my own credit; but I am an idle fellow, and though I have not many, I have more than I ever look into."

Elizabeth assured him that she could suit herself perfectly with those in the room.

"I am astonished," said Miss Bingley, "that my father should have left so small a collection of books. What a delightful library you have at Pemberley, Mr. Darcy!"

"It ought to be good," he replied; "it has been the work of many generations."

"And then you have added so much to it yourself, you are always buying books."

"I cannot comprehend the neglect of a family library in such days as these."

"Neglect! I am sure you neglect nothing that can add to the beauties of that noble place. Charles, when you build your house, I wish it may be half as delightful as Pemberley."

"I wish it may."

"But I would really advise you to make your purchase in that neighbourhood, and take Pemberley for a kind of model. There is not a finer county in England than Derbyshire."

"With all my heart; I will buy Pemberley itself if Darcy will sell it."

"I am talking of possibilities, Charles."

"Upon my word, Caroline, I should think it more possible to get Pemberley by purchase than by imitation."

Elizabeth was so much caught by what passed as to leave her very little attention for her book; and soon laying it wholly aside, she drew near the card-table, and stationed herself between Mr. Bingley and his eldest sister, to observe the game.

"Is Miss Darcy much grown since the spring?" said Miss Bingley; "will she be as tall as I am?"

"I think she will. She is now about Miss Elizabeth Bennet's height, or rather taller."

"How I long to see her again! I never met with anybody who delighted me so much. Such a countenance, such manners! and so extremely accomplished for her age! Her performance on the pianoforte is exquisite."

"It is amazing to me," said Bingley, "how young ladies can have patience to be so very accomplished as they all are."

"All young ladies accomplished! My dear Charles, what do you mean?"

"Yes, all of them, I think. They all paint tables, cover screens, and net purses. I scarcely know any one who cannot do all this, and I am sure I never heard a young lady spoken of for the first time, without being informed that she was very accomplished."

"Your list of the common extent of accomplishments," said Darcy, "has too much truth. The word is applied to many a woman who deserves it no otherwise than by netting a purse or covering a screen. But I am very far from agreeing with you in your estimation of ladies in general. I cannot boast of knowing more than half a dozen, in the whole range of my acquaintance, that are really accomplished."

"Nor I, I am sure," said Miss Bingley. "Then," observed Elizabeth, "you must comprehend a great deal in your idea of an accomplished woman."

"Yes, I do comprehend a great deal in it."

"Oh! certainly," cried his faithful assistant, "no one can be really esteemed accomplished who does not greatly surpass what is usually met with. A woman must have a thorough knowledge of music, singing, drawing, dancing, and the modern languages, to deserve the word; and besides all this, she must possess a certain something in her air and manner of walking, the tone of her voice, her address and expressions, or the word will be but half deserved."

"All this she must possess," added Darcy, "and to all this she must yet add something more substantial, in the improvement of her mind by extensive reading."

kiki1982
01-13-2011, 12:57 PM
Oh, yes, I have that in my Commons' Book. :)

The one where he polishes off Sir William (?), Charlotte's father, is also quite good.

'Dancing, what a fine past-time it is for young people Mr Darcy. Indeed, there is nothing better in polished society!' (or something of the sort)

and then Darcy: 'Unfortunately it also seems to be in vogue amongst the less polished societies of the world.' (walks away). :lol:

I find those one-liners of his so great!

Ecurb
01-13-2011, 02:27 PM
The screenplay of the 1930s Movie of P & P (starring Laurence Olivier and Greer Garson) was written by Alduous Huxley. IN one review I read, the reviewer quoted the "Every savage can dance" line you mention above, and said that it had obviously come from Huxley, not Austen.

How wrong he was.

kiki1982
01-13-2011, 04:49 PM
Oh, my God, that's bad :lol:. Did anybody tell him publicly :D

Ecurb
01-13-2011, 05:36 PM
Someone probably told him, but I don't know -- I read about it long after the fact (I assume the review came out in 1939 or whenever the movie was released).

Three Sparrows
01-17-2011, 04:12 PM
I voted for Henry Tilney, because he is such a bean. Plus he is a lot more pleasant than all those other fellows; I must admit, it was hard to decide between him and Wentworth though.