PDA

View Full Version : Essay topics on The Great Gatsby

thegatsbymachin
02-17-2009, 12:30 PM
Anyone have any ideas related to any of these Great Gatsby essay topics? I have an in class essay tomorrow and can't build any outlines...

1.Comment on the presentation and significance of betrayal in The Great Gatsby.

2.A happy ending is usually enjoyable, but an unhappy ending can be more thought provoking or satisfying in other ways. Discuss the ending of The Great Gatsby, considering its impact on you as a reader.

3.Discuss the idea(s) developed in The Great Gatsby about how acts of courage develop and nurture personal integrity.
-In this one I am planning to talk about Nick Carraway, his decision too move west, and his decision to break up with Jordan. What else could I use though?

sunshine_enl
02-17-2009, 01:13 PM
Well as far as the 2nd topic is conserned i guess you can say that in a way it's an unhappy ending because Gatsby fails(he dies alone,Daisy betrays him etc) but it is expected that he will fail because he has built his whole life on an illusion,he is a very unrealistic character.
But the most tragic aspect of gatsby is that he can't realise that he is constantly dreaming.
Carraway learns from Gatsby,he is outside and he can be more objective so he can see why Gatsby fails.He leaves the West having acquired knowledge which he will take home and apply to his life,therefore it might also be seen as a positive ending.
Carraway won't fall into the same mistakes that gatsby did.

thegatsbymachin
02-17-2009, 02:29 PM
wow... thanks alot sunshine... I see it the negative and positive aspects of the ending... thanks so much that gets me started on that topic!

five-trey
02-17-2009, 10:14 PM
nvm, misunderstood topic