PDA

View Full Version : Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man- I think Joyce is different, sure. But vain too

bare
02-10-2009, 11:18 PM
Hello! I'm new :) I'll try not to upset anyone during my stay

-Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man-
[I've read the book.. or rather listened to it.. so I feel like I've only a shaky clasp of the whole thing. My vocabulary and Irish terminology are also.. crappy. ]

I have to write an analysis paper.. 5pg min. Anyway, my thesis might be something along the (many) lines of:
Joyce is a conceited man who uses this book as a cry for attention because of the lack thereof.
He is not one with himself and this book is an attempt to fill the gaps in his security and acceptance of self. He is reaching out in hopes of a connection and understanding from the audience. He feels that these are well deserving for him, but missing. He is also trying to justify his choice of lifestyle and what it means through the character Stephen Dedalus in this book.

{Though very ingenious, what with his ground breaking style of writing, yes I'm still insulting him in a way.. by pointing out his own character..personality? flaws.}

Kay, back to my whole, "Joyce is vain" thing..

The message I get, especially from the last chapter..(s?) is that.. Well, he's bragging about himself.

He SHOWS us over and over, likewise with the many other details of the book.

He has Cranly and Temple fighting for his attention..

He finds the Dean incompetant of a true conversation regarding aesthetics.. {I think that's the convo. content?}

His lifestyle choice caused him to leave country, faith, and family behind. He felt all these things were obstructing his development as an artist and complains.. SHOWS us this using the entire book.

humm.. what do y'all think? Am I a fool? Do I have my facts crooked?

Odiwann
05-09-2012, 05:13 PM
listen..to molly
http://soundcloud.com/phlashboredom/mollys-soliloquy

Charles Darnay
05-09-2012, 05:21 PM
listen..to molly
http://soundcloud.com/phlashboredom/mollys-soliloquy

Wrong book, but great chapter!

Hello! I'm new :) I'll try not to upset anyone during my stay

-Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man-
[I've read the book.. or rather listened to it.. so I feel like I've only a shaky clasp of the whole thing. My vocabulary and Irish terminology are also.. crappy. ]

I have to write an analysis paper.. 5pg min. Anyway, my thesis might be something along the (many) lines of:
Joyce is a conceited man who uses this book as a cry for attention because of the lack thereof.
He is not one with himself and this book is an attempt to fill the gaps in his security and acceptance of self. He is reaching out in hopes of a connection and understanding from the audience. He feels that these are well deserving for him, but missing. He is also trying to justify his choice of lifestyle and what it means through the character Stephen Dedalus in this book.

{Though very ingenious, what with his ground breaking style of writing, yes I'm still insulting him in a way.. by pointing out his own character..personality? flaws.}

Kay, back to my whole, "Joyce is vain" thing..

The message I get, especially from the last chapter..(s?) is that.. Well, he's bragging about himself.

He SHOWS us over and over, likewise with the many other details of the book.

He has Cranly and Temple fighting for his attention..

He finds the Dean incompetant of a true conversation regarding aesthetics.. {I think that's the convo. content?}

His lifestyle choice caused him to leave country, faith, and family behind. He felt all these things were obstructing his development as an artist and complains.. SHOWS us this using the entire book.

humm.. what do y'all think? Am I a fool? Do I have my facts crooked?

(I realize the oldness of this post and the long-goness of this poster (I think) but.....)

I don't agree with your analysis, but I can see where you are coming from. Consider a few things.

1. The way you talk about Joyce is from a 2012 perspective when he has become this mythic figure - this was not so when writing Portrait

2. Yes this work may be a justification for his way of life, but isn't that what most books are? This may be more autobiographical than some, but he doesn't try to promote himself with any specific end in mind.

3. Why is showing a bad thing?

Jack of Hearts
05-09-2012, 07:10 PM
1. Love the James Joyce subforum to pieces.

2. Hopefully this paper is long since written. Usually they mark you down half a letter grade per day, spread across 1300 days...

J

Number7
06-16-2012, 07:13 PM
Years since I read this, but it reminds me of Prufrock, only whilst Eliot is a sceptic about human nature at least with Joyce there is room for at least some salvation. Joyce portrays SD's childhood as pure and innocent, SD is immaculate, His strict Catholic upbringing is described along with his sexual awakening and the conflict between the two. SD's education and the irony being played out in his persona as the plot progresses, is I think his rejection of Catholicism, and his attempts to forge an identity existentially, representing a metaphorical Protestant Reformation of SD's consciousness, interiorised but opened up to the reader who is interacting with multiple angles on SD. Class, culture, language, flag, honour, nationality and are also in there but this being a Modernist text Joyce opens up those issues, denying closure, the impression that social factors have on SD's persona are illustrated in this 'portrait' this is a fusion of painting, poetry and prose, but unlike the traditional portrait it borrows from Modernism, particularly Cubism and reminds me of a Picasso or a Braque. I think it's a quite sad tale, almost like a long confessional, like Prufrock SD carries a cross, but unlike Prufrock SD is saved.