PDA

View Full Version : Inspiration for the Play

Gladys
02-08-2009, 11:29 PM
Is the inspiration for 'Bygmester Solness', this quote from the Danish Philosopher Soren Kierkegaard, whom Ibsen acknowledged reading?

“Old age realizes the dreams of youth: look at Dean Swift; in his youth he built an asylum for the insane, in his old age he was himself an inmate.”
Early in life, Solness was a man with ideals and dreams aplenty. As a master builder, he built churches and, later, 'houses for people to live in'. In his old age Solness is trapped in the detritus of these 'dreams of youth'. So the play begins.

But Ibsen provides a surprising way out - a happy ending! And his solution is as subtle as the irony in the Kierkegaard quotation.

Janine
02-09-2009, 03:28 AM
Gladys, I found the thread and wonder how to proceed. Dori is also interested in discussing this play. I like the question you presented above and will think about it tomorrow; it is too late now to answer it. I like the quote very much and think that does relate well.

Then can we take the play from the beginning and really analysis each part in sequence?I find I get more out of the discussion this way and I can keep it straight in my mind; also, one sees how the characters develop or are revealed and how the story builds and develops as we go along.

Gladys
02-09-2009, 06:40 AM
Then can we take the play from the beginning and really analysis each part in sequence? Certainly. You may wish to start a new thread, Janine, in the The Master Builder (www.online-literature.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3651) sub-forum?

Janine
02-09-2009, 03:36 PM
Certainly. You may wish to start a new thread, Janine, in the The Master Builder (www.online-literature.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3651) sub-forum?

Yes, I was wondering if this, being a sub-forum, is the reason no one noticed it before. I will have to ask Virgil how he started our long running Lawrence Short Story thread, which has been quite successful. Let me get back to you on this and exactly how to set it up effectively.

Janine
02-13-2009, 05:31 PM
I saw the play again last night from my BBC set of Ibsen; very well done. I watched the newer 1988 version. I haven't read the play yet. I think it is longer than "Ghosts."

I was wondering, Gladys, if we could have the mods change the title of these threads to indicate they are the respective plays. I don't think anyone can find them with the titles they have. They show up in 'search' under "Today's Posts", but the titles are sort of obscure and don't indicate they are about Ibsen plays. If we ask a moderator for help, they can help to change the titles and then we can get more people discussing the plays. What do you think about the idea?

Lilith785
02-13-2009, 06:23 PM
I think it is longer than "Ghosts."

That would be a correct assumption. http://www.dineoxford.com/pics/img/2657/y09w0131xdtc/82(2).gif

Janine
02-13-2009, 06:38 PM
That would be a correct assumption. http://www.dineoxford.com/pics/img/2657/y09w0131xdtc/82(2).gif

Hi Lilith, thanks for the answer. Do you want to join in with our discussions? We are doing "Ghosts" presently. Here is the thread link:

http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37405

The thread is entitled "Oh so hard to grasp!"