PDA

View Full Version : Help!

-emilyd87-
02-07-2009, 08:20 PM
For my dual credit English class I am writing an essay on metaphors in Shakespeares Sonnet 18 (Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Day). I'm having trouble interpretig one of the lines and was wondering if anyone could help me. The one I'm having trouble with is "But thy eternal summer shall not fade" Can anyone help?

Bancini
02-07-2009, 08:55 PM
sure someone else can help more but...

her beauty will last forever while the summer day or flower or whatever the comparison is to at that point will not last

pagebypage
02-07-2009, 10:55 PM
He's already compared the loved one to summer and then noted how summer falls short in comparison to the loved one--he being more lovely, more temperate.

With the "thy eternal summer shall not fade" you got two options:

When I was in school the common line was that Shakespeare was saying that the loved one is perfection, immortal, a god-like being of beauty that death itself will never lessen and that his immortalizing him in verse assures this.

Personally I think that from that line on, Shakespeare is saying that his "eternal summer will not fade" precisely because Shakespeare immortalized him in verse.

xman
02-09-2009, 03:30 AM
Personally I think that from that line on, Shakespeare is saying that his "eternal summer will not fade" precisely because Shakespeare immortalized him in verse.
Give the man a prize. This theme is repeated throughout the sonnets.

X