PDA

View Full Version : L'Assommoir

Adagio
02-07-2009, 07:21 PM
I hear this novel by Emile Zola belongs in the collection Les Rougon-Macquart. Do the twenty novels have to be read in any specific order, or could I just dive straight into L'Assommoir?

Also, how have you guys found the novel, worth reading?

Emil Miller
02-07-2009, 07:44 PM
I hear this novel by Emile Zola belongs in the collection Les Rougon-Macquart. Do the twenty novels have to be read in any specific order, or could I just dive straight into L'Assommoir?

Also, how have you guys found the novel, worth reading?

L'Assommoire is the greatest of all Zola's Rougon-Macquart series. Don't hesitate to read it straight away. It is absolutely stunning and you can connect with the others in the series if you wish later, because each book in the series is a stand-alone novel. Therefore, you can read them in any order, because Zola cleverly allows for the individual impact of each novel to be made despite the familial connection that unites them as a whole.

Adagio
02-07-2009, 08:13 PM
You see, I have yet to enjoy Zola. Thérèse Raquin is my next read, after Sons and Lovers, but as it's short I wanted another Zola to read after. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'll make sure I pick it up soon.

JBI
02-07-2009, 09:33 PM
Germinal, Nana, and others are also good - and, for a little bit of excitement, L'Assommoir was published in Zola's lifetime with illustrations by the French artist Renoir, so if you can read French, and can find a copy, that's worth looking into.

wessexgirl
02-08-2009, 07:10 AM
Adagio, it's one of the greatest novels ever written. As Brian says, you don't need to read them in order. I'm trying to buy all of the series, and I started off trying to get them in order, but I've given up on that idea, as some are easier to get than others, and am just buying them as and when I can. I also loved Therese Raquin. Zola is one of the all-time greats in my opinion. Enjoy, but be prepared for some tears.

Adagio
02-08-2009, 09:35 AM
I'm excited now, nothing like exploring a new author. Thanks. :)

Mariamosis
04-15-2009, 03:37 PM
I didn't see an Emile Zola thread, so I will post this here. I want to read the entire Les Rougon-Macquart collection. However, I do not read and/or speak French.

The 4th novel in the series is 'La Conquete De Plassans', and I cannot seem to find an English translation. Does anyone know where I could obtain a copy? Am I just looking in the wrong place?

Thanks for the help! :)

crusoe
07-28-2012, 01:12 PM
I remember my poor Wife being really depressed after I read this Book out loud to her.
Emil Miller is right. By the way, "The Earth" is another "Downer" that will grab you right by the throat...