PDA

View Full Version : Ana Karenina

LiteratureGeekk
02-06-2009, 09:55 AM
Everyone, please read this book, it holds a deep moral to it; if you get deep into what you arereading, this is the book for you!!!
:D

Laura00
11-07-2009, 06:49 PM
I agree with you. Anna Karenina is one of the best books I have ever read. Recently I also read "Reminiscences of Tolstoy" (published by Sparkling Books). It's a biography written by his son Ilya Tolstoy. I really enjoed it: it reveals very interesting details of Toltoy' s personality. For example it seems that Tolstoy's wife has written passages of Anna Karenina and corrected her husband's grammar.

jadrianne
02-11-2010, 09:09 AM
I think that partly due to movies that were based on this novel a misconceived idea has apppeared : that the novel is only about Anna Karenina and about her unhappy life .
I think that all the movies cannot depict the wonderful trurly wonderful pages in the book that describe life in the country .In these pages we find the true spirit of Tolstoy. Is is the perfect contrast with the pages that refer to the war in "War and Peace".

Gurov
04-25-2010, 05:25 PM
Yes, actually there are two novels within "Anna Karenina": one novel about Anna, Vronsky and Karenin, and another novel about Levin and Kitty (by the way, I prefer the second one!). However, I do not cpmpletely agree that only country sceens in Anna Karenina represent contrast with battle scenes in War and Peace. There are marvelous country scenes in W@P as well: description of hunting, for instance, then life in Rostov's mansion Otradnoe, etc.

kelby_lake
05-31-2011, 11:47 AM
Yes, actually there are two novels within "Anna Karenina": one novel about Anna, Vronsky and Karenin, and another novel about Levin and Kitty.

Agreed. The Kitty/Levin relationship makes a nice contrast with Anna/Vronsky.

I think another misconception about Anna Karenina is that it is really depressing. Yes, Anna's fate is depressing but Levin is not depressing, and he ends the novel.

BC22
07-21-2012, 04:27 PM
I agree; Levin's epiphany at the end of the novel is touching and impacts the tone of the novel.

kelby_lake
09-09-2012, 03:11 PM
I agree; Levin's epiphany at the end of the novel is touching and impacts the tone of the novel.

I love their relationship :)