PDA

View Full Version : The girl with the dragon Tatoo - Stieg Larsson

lugdunum
01-31-2009, 01:48 PM
This book is the first volume of the currently European bestselling trilogy and is classified under the thriller genre.

Mickael Blomkvist, a financial reporter recently convicted of libel against a powerful business man is hired by the former chair of a swedish industrial titan. His mission is to give a fresh insight into the disappearance of his 13 year old niece, who went missing a decade ago during a family reunion.
He will receive the help of Lisbeth Salander, an unsociable hacker with a peculiar sense of authority and rules.

After only a few pages, I was sucked into the plot and I can easily understand that some people read it in one afternoon. The book is a real page turner and Stieg Larsson managed to create a dark and gloomy atmosphere on a small Swedish island.

On the other hand I have to say that I found the rythm to be quite irregular and it sometimes slows down so much that it made me put the book down more than once.
I also found it rather predictable and particularly disliked the exaustive description of IT tools and programmes which I found quite unnecessary. I wouldn't be surprised to read that the book was sponsored by IT companies.

Apart from these few negative points, I would recommend this book if you're looking for something to read while on holiday or for a long journey... To be avoided if you have to wake up early the next day as it is sometimes hard to put it down....

Pippi
09-14-2009, 11:40 AM
I absolutely love this triology and think that the character of Lisbeth is so interesting and well written. So hard, yet so soft, if you know what I mean.

lugdunum
01-27-2010, 04:39 PM
I've actually changed my mind about this trilogy. After reading all three books, I liked it very much.

prendrelemick
01-27-2010, 04:44 PM
Thanks for that lugdunum, I shall look out for this when I fancy a page turner.

Paulclem
02-16-2010, 02:19 PM
I liked the book, but I did find that I transferred my idea of who the protagonist was from the Girl of the title to the chap investigating the disappearance.

ariella
05-25-2010, 12:47 PM
I think it is slightly overrated. It definately isn't that bad, it was really uninteresting at first, some bland thing about corporations and then there is more of an actual story that grips you but it seems the author self inserted himself as the main male character (Michael Blomkvist), slept with these women and was so cool... especially all the apple mac and hacking references are lame. maybe it's because it's translated from swedish is why it seems abit. Quite predictable as well. but saying that, i have actually thought about reading the sequels if i didn't want to read other books way more.
I think it depends on what you're interested in. like i'm not personally interested in libel or financial journalism or dragon tattoos.

dfloyd
05-25-2010, 04:23 PM
then made an appointment for my girlfriend to get a dragon tatoo.

LuggageFan
07-16-2010, 03:14 PM
I am a slow reader, but I zipped through this one in three days - fabulous, fantastic writing. Read the second one, too, but I enjoyed the first one more.

dfloyd
09-07-2010, 06:13 PM
viewed the first movie. At the end of the movie there was an interview with the Swedish actress who played Lizbeth (watched on dvd). Without her punk piercings and makeup, she is a really pretty girl,and she speaks perfect English. I hope to watch the last two movies soon.

TheChilly
12-22-2010, 04:12 PM
A great work. Did remind me of a better version of anything Dan Brown has ever written. Though I found Larsson's descriptions of electronics in the novel a little unnecessary, he knew how to tell a story, an engaging story for one... and his prose was also tolerable, too. Not the best, but very tolerable.

dfloyd
12-22-2010, 05:40 PM
The Girl Who Played with Fire. Not as good as the first movie, but necessary to continue on with the trilogy. The third movie will be out soon, Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. I liked this book the best so the movie should be good.

I have read that Hollywood is going to remake these movies starring Daniel Craig. I can't imagine someone so lazy they didn't want to read the captions from the Swedish version. Oh well, Holly wood will probably rewrite the screen play.

TheChilly
12-22-2010, 06:20 PM
The Girl Who Played with Fire. Not as good as the first movie, but necessary to continue on with the trilogy. The third movie will be out soon, Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. I liked this book the best so the movie should be good.

I have read that Hollywood is going to remake these movies starring Daniel Craig. I can't imagine someone so lazy they didn't want to read the captions from the Swedish version. Oh well, Holly wood will probably rewrite the screen play.

I pray they get a good director.

When I heard that Thomas Pynchon's "Inherent Vice" was in talks of becoming a movie, I was very, very skeptical until I found out that Paul Thomas Anderson was writing the screenplay. Then I felt so much better.