PDA

View Full Version : "Romeo's Fatal Flaw" Essay

Kevin
03-08-2005, 12:41 AM
My assignment was to write an essay on "Romeo's Fatal Flaw". Before I turn it in, I was hoping to get one or more of you to proof-read it, etc. I'm in 9th grade Honors English I, so if you could tell me what you think from the perspective of an instructor teaching at the level, it would be greatly appreciated.

Romeo's Fatal Flaw

Romeo was a very flawed character whose impulsive, capricious, and often times unpremeditated demeanor led to the demise of himself and of his beloved Juliet. There are several instances in “Romeo & Juliet” where this becomes apparent to the audience (or reader). One of these is his seemingly nimble transition between his love for Rosaline to Juliet. Despite the fact that he professed his undying love for Rosaline for the first half of Act I, his love moved without difficulty or remorse from Rosaline to Juliet after laying eyes on the Capulet, whom he had never spoken to or met before. Another thing that showed how spontaneous the character is was the lack of thought he put into his actions. It is crystal clear that Romeo is a typical teenager, even by the standards of our time. Rather than putting thought into his future, he chose to focus on the “now” of situations, which would eventually lead to not only his own death, but the death of some of the people closest to him.

One of the examples of his whimsical disposition is the quick and easy transition of his love for Juliet from his love for Rosaline. In the beginning, Romeo’s anguish is described when Shakespeare writes, “Here’s much to do with hate, but more with love. Why then, O brawling love, O loving hate, O anything, of nothing first created…Still-waking sleep, that is not what it is! This love feel I, that feel no love in this. Dost thou not laugh?” (742). We see his obvious torment by the fact that the woman he loves does not love him back, and in fact, ignores him (or pretends to) most of the time. This puts Romeo in a tizzy, resulting in an inability to function. As the days go on, he becomes more and more distraught. He loses all desire to eat, sleep, and live his life as a normal person. He spends all night outside, roaming the streets in a state of solitude, and all day sleeping. Because he is what would be considered “spoiled” by today’s standards, his parents see no problem with letting him operate in such a way. While at the Capulets’ party, he sees Juliet for the first time and instantly forgets about Rosaline, the girl whose affection he tried to win for so long. To describe his newfound feelings, Shakespeare writes, “Did my heart love till now? Forswear it, sight! For I ne’er saw true beauty till the night.”(757). All of these events help to support the fact that Romeo’s fatal flaw is the fact that he falls in love too easily, too quick, and much too hard.

Another thing that led to Romeo’s downfall was that he moved much too quickly with every decision that he made. After seeing Juliet for the first time, he “knew” that she was the one he was meant to marry. That night, once again acting solely on his impulses (otherwise known as hormones), he jumped over the wall surrounding the Capulet manor and went to Juliet’s balcony, where he called to her and conceded his eternal love for her. Just the fact that he chose to jump over the Capulet wall was a bad decision in itself. If he had been caught by a Capulet or the guards he would surely have been killed, and then it would all have been for nothing. As Romeo and Juliet wooed each other in the balcony scene, Romeo proposed to her, after knowing her for not even a day! We see how quickly he moves in relationships (and how he lets feelings run him) when Romeo responds to Juliet’s question of what satisfaction he wants from her by saying, “The exchange of thy love’s faithful vow for mine.” (771). They move quickly in their relationship, deciding to be wed the very next day. Another mistake of his in regards to moving to quickly was his decision to kill himself after finding Juliet “dead”. If he had chosen to think about his decision to drink the poison before drinking it, Juliet would have woken and they both would have remained among the living.

The final flaw of Romeo’s that proved to be fatal was his inability to see that every decision he made had a consequence that came along with it. He was too hasty in almost every one of his choices throughout the play. For example, he was too quick in marrying Juliet. After that, he chose not to think before killing Tybalt, which is the action that led him on a downward spiral from which he would never recover. When he killed Tybalt, he was once again acting on his impulses. This time, however, his impulse was one of anger, hatred, and rage. In a duel that was to prove his greatest mistake, he slayed Tybalt. Though Tybalt was an enemy of the Montagues, he was also a cousin of Juliet’s and a relative of the Prince’s. Because of his choice to murder this man, he was exiled from Verona. Because he was exiled, Juliet became upset and went to the Friar for help, resulting in the mistakes that led to their deaths being made.

In essence, Romeo’s greatest flaw was that he was a teenager—a teenager much too immature to handle the relationship that he had become a part of. He was far too impetuous to be a part of a serious relationship, let along be a husband to someone. Romeo is a classic example of the phrase “Sometimes love is not enough”. No amount of loving Juliet would ever change the fact that he was simply too young to handle a relationship as serious as the one he and Juliet shared.

IWilKikU
03-08-2005, 06:28 AM
Looks like a decent short essay. My only thought is are you sure Romeo is a Teenager? I don't think his age is specified anywhere in the text, and it was kind of a shock to the literary world when Franco Zeffarelli portrayed him as such in his 70s film adaptation. Since then, people have just assumed that R&J must be extremely young. In fact we know that Juliet is not as young as ol' Franco may have liked to think, the dirty old man!: 'Younger than her are happy mothers made' :eek:. So you may want to rephrase that line
'It is crystal clear that Romeo is a typical teenager,'

Helga
03-08-2005, 07:57 AM
It's a fine essay, but I really don't agree with most of the things you said. I don't think that Romeo being a teenager is that big of a deal. In my opinion Shakespeare was talking about true love and love at first sight. That is what I love about him, he makes sudden love so true and intense and in a way that you can believe it's real. I think you put to much into this 'Romeo was a teenager' statement and in his hormones. He was to impulsive I agree and mainly in the fact that he killed Tybalt. I am sorry to say but in my opinion you seem to be making the play simple and illogical. But that is just me, you know your teacher better than I do and you definetly know yourself better than me and if this is truly what you think than this is a fine essay.

Scheherazade
03-08-2005, 08:27 AM
Hi Kevin,
In your essay, you need to have proper introduction and conclusion paragraphs. As it is, this essay seems to lack both. Also, when you quote lines from the play, it would be a good idea to do this properly rather than squeezing them in your paragraphs and you should also state which act they are from etc. Maybe instead of 'Shakespeare says..' you can find another way of introducing your quotes. It is not Shakespeare himself saying those lines after all but the characters.

Good luck with it all! Good effort! :)

IWilKikU
03-08-2005, 01:53 PM
In my opinion Shakespeare was talking about true love and love at first sight. That is what I love about him, he makes sudden love so true and intense and in a way that you can believe it's real. I think you put to much into this 'Romeo was a teenager' statement and in his hormones.

Thats what I was getting at by pointing out that Shakespeare never specifies Romeo's age. But I think it's a decent essay for a freshman english course. Freshman english teachers don't tend to put a whole lot of emphasis on citation methods either (or at least mine didn't), but Scheheradade is right.

Scheherazade
03-08-2005, 01:59 PM
Since Shakespeare never tells us Romeo's real age, I think it is OK that Kevin puts his own understanding and interpretation there. The important thing is that he supports his understanding with valid references from the text. :)

Kevin
03-08-2005, 06:21 PM
In response to the citation comments, that is how she asks that we cite things from out textbook.

Ex.

Shakespeare writes.... " " (Page Number.)

Romeo says " " (Page Number.)

The reason why such an emphasis was placed on him being a teenager is because that is the way we were taught this particular piece of literature. (Two love-struck teenagers.) She specified that his fatal flaw was how ruled he was by emotions, we just needed to support it with facts from the text.

Thanks again. :D

mono
03-08-2005, 07:52 PM
Nicely written essay, Kevin. You show a very strong opinion of both Romeo and Juliet, and the feud between the Capulets and Montagues, and you support your opinions with specific citations, though I do agree with Scherazade that a better distinguished introduction and conclusion would help; the essay begins and ends quite quickly.
Like Helga and Kik, I also question Romeo's age and its correspondence with his fickleness and expressions of love. True, the character does seem quite indecisive and he did act relatively impulsively with Tybalt (though who would not when being threatened murder?), but I think the nature of love definitely proves strong between Romeo and Juliet, and never a mere teenage crush.
Well done, Kevin, and thanks for sharing your essay. Good luck!

IWilKikU
03-09-2005, 12:15 PM
It might blow your teacher's narrow mind if you lay that age bit on her though, or it might get you spiteful bad grade. Try challenging her to find a place in the text that says they are teenagers.

Anselmus
03-09-2005, 02:20 PM
Thanks for sharing your work, I enjoyed reading it. :)

Kevin
03-09-2005, 06:00 PM
Oh, I do plan on saying something about it. I guess I had just taken her word on it completely when she said they were teenagers. After reading all of your comments, I decided to skim the play and look for mention of them being that age. (She said that Romeo was exactly 15 and Juliet was 13.) I had never really looked at the text that in depth to see, and now that I'm aware of that little fact I'll be sure to bring it up in class tomorrow.

kilted exile
03-09-2005, 06:29 PM
There is mention of Juliet being 13: "Come Lammas-eve at night shall she be fourteen." - Nurse Act 1, scene 3. However I can recall no mention of the age of Romeo anywhere in the play.

IWilKikU
03-10-2005, 03:27 PM
hmm... I stand corrected.

tippycanoe225
12-07-2005, 10:33 PM
Your essay really has potential. It can be great, but for now it doesn't quite come up to par. You started out well and I could see where you were going with it, but then you lost your thread. Yes I understood that Romeo was ruled by impulse, but you seem to have forgotten that he wasn't the only one who made rash decisions. Juliet was responsible for her own actions. Although, Romeo's decison did have an impact on her decisons, she chose to act rashly. A good way to go would have been for you to prove that the undoing of Romeo and Juliet and those close to them was the impulsiveness of all parties involved. By this I mean the Friar who helps Juliet, Romeo, Juliet, Romeo's friends, Juliet's parents and cousin. By the way, I didn't see in breaks in your paper, you know paragraphs that show a transition is coming. I also think you repeatedy yourself a lot. It's ok to restate yourself a couple of times but constant repetition and rewording bore the reader and lead people to think that (1) you aren't sure where you're going with this and (2) you don't have anything more to say or back you up so you keep repeating yourself. My last word of advice to you is elaboration. You made some good points, but you didn't elaborate on them. I kept waiting for you to do so and it didn't happen. However, for a ninth grader in honors english, I have to say that it was decent. Good luck.

Virgil
12-07-2005, 11:44 PM
I too think this is a fine essay for your age. The points made about the style and structure are valid. If you have time, listen and adjust. But I think your insights to Romeo's character are right on the mark. I think Shakespeare captures both the idealism and the rashness of youth. However, unlike with MacBeth, Shakespeare sympatheizes with Romeo (you might want to add this point in your essay), but like in just about all of Shakespeare's plays justice is meted out to even the good guys if they have sinned. Remember, Romeo has killed someone. Shakespeare can't have that go unpunished.

nolanhilhorst
12-13-2005, 11:24 PM
You can also use the word His emotions instead of impulses all the time. It was just as much his emotions as his impulses

nolanhilhorst
12-13-2005, 11:26 PM
You can also use the word emotions instead of impulses because his emotions for mercutio made him kill tybalt

redryss91
03-08-2006, 12:17 PM
It says right there in the play how old Juliet is. In Act One, Scene two, line 9, It says that, and I quote, "She hath not seen the change of fourteen years." Juliet is only a teenager, and that line proves it. That line by the way, was spoken by capulet. She is just under 14 years old

redryss91
03-08-2006, 12:18 PM
If you have any questions, TRY READING THE ACTUAL TEXT FIRST.

stephofthenight
03-25-2007, 06:41 PM
Looks like a decent short essay. My only thought is are you sure Romeo is a Teenager? I don't think his age is specified anywhere in the text, and it was kind of a shock to the literary world when Franco Zeffarelli portrayed him as such in his 70s film adaptation. Since then, people have just assumed that R&J must be extremely young. In fact we know that Juliet is not as young as ol' Franco may have liked to think, the dirty old man!: 'Younger than her are happy mothers made' :eek:. So you may want to rephrase that line

yes, in act one the nurse says and mrs.capullet are talking about juliet being of fine age to marry, aka 14 in four days. the teeth quote was creepy.
and in the last part of the original play which most ppl dont read, friar says that two in such close comparsin yet both so younge die and you ppl still fued if it had not been for your silly war and blinding iltolerance you wouldnt have lost your children. blame not each other but yourselves. it also in the play says that she is 1yr older then him (in the middle somewhere)
we did romeo and juliet at shakespear camp in 05.
most of his plays have been changed, thru translation. few scripts are available of the original old elizabethian time are out there i had the privlage of handling one at camp and it is so diffrent. if you ever get a chance you will understand how stupid the play is now with so much cut to modernize it.

verry good essay by the way.