PDA

View Full Version : Book Club Procedures (updated)

Scheherazade
03-02-2005, 02:40 PM
Nominations:
*Every member can nominate only one book to give everyone an equal chance.
*The nominations from those who make multiple nominations will be disregarded.
*Those who wish to cancel or change their nominations can do so during the nomination period.
*Only members with 50+ posts can nominate books.
*The same book cannot be elected to be read during two consecutive years.

Poll:
*Every month, the first 10 nominations will be included in the poll.
*Only members with 50+ posts can take part in the voting process.
*In a case of tie, the Moderator will choose one of the books which gets the most votes.

Spoilers:
*If you are going to post spoilers, please warn others in advance.

Live Chat:
*At the end of every month, we will have a live chat on the monthly book. It will be open to those members who have been participating in the discussion thread on the Forum. A summary of the chat will be posted on the Forum later on.

*** The Book Club subforum is for monthly book discussions only. ***
Please post your messages regarding other books in other sections.

Taliesin
03-12-2005, 02:56 PM
We have a question.

Can We nominate two books?
But there is of course an if.
And the "if" is: what if We nominate them as one.
By that we mean this: when you vote for them, then you cannot pick one or the other, you must take both, like a pack.
And the voting booth would look like this:

*Book A
*Book B
*Book C
*Book D
*Book E
*Book F
*Book G
*Book H
*Book I
*Book J and Book K

The reason why we ask this, is that the book of which We are thinking about is part of a bilogy (tetralogy actually, but the two minor bilogies are not so strongly connected) It is hard to understand the second book without reading the first one, but if you read only the first one, it will be quite not final.

Scheherazade
03-12-2005, 03:02 PM
I think that would be OK if they are part of a series etc. Depending on how long the books are, if they would be too long for one month, we could read them in two consecutive months maybe.

Any other thoughts/suggestions on this?

Stanislaw
04-04-2005, 10:27 PM
Well it would really depend on the size, for example LOTR 123, would take a while however: it would take about the same time to read 5 Douglass Adams books.

hrmm, I suppose, it could go to Da-Polls ;)

Scheherazade
04-05-2005, 04:24 AM
Oh another poll for this?

*sighs and acquiesces* to the idea of having another poll

*acquiesce= I learnt this one from Kilted_Exile in the Word of the Day thread! :D

Stanislaw
04-05-2005, 10:27 AM
Could we nominate something like the Darwin Awards?

~K~
06-12-2005, 11:05 AM
Darwin awards like on the web site?
It is not a story but has several small captions of how people do ignorant things resulting in death , and lets not forget the near misses too.
Maybe start a thread on it because there are new ones weekly.
I am pretty sure you are not talking about the Biologist- anthroplogist- goelogist - the scientist and author "Darwin".
And then again, I am not the one runningthe book club but it seems like it would be something sort of different than what is expected in a book club.
I think book club books have a certain dialog -and story.
Unless we do collections, but still Darwin awards are people sending in brief stories about people doing foolish things resulting in death and that is nothing like an author's collection of papers , works or short stories.
Let me know , how things go or if there is a book called Darwin Awards that is actually written by Darwin. Maybe the web site named the site after one of his books.

Question what is a spoiler?

Jay
06-12-2005, 03:27 PM
Spoiler definition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoiler_%28media%29)

Stanislaw
06-14-2005, 12:06 AM
hmm, Just a thought, I wonder if we could add a text review section, ie: the excel 2003 bible etc.

Just wondering?

Scheherazade
07-11-2005, 04:59 AM
From now on, only those who have posted in the Forum will be allowed to vote in the Book Club polls. If such votes are cast, they will be disregarded when the poll is closed.

PistisSophia
09-12-2005, 10:37 PM
somehow....but I've read Post Office and Holes and know a lot about H. Potter et al....the late Charles Bukowski was a piece of work.

I'd like to give a read to Return of the Native, but any of the books would be fine with me.

Thanks,

Ilene

MrBojangles
09-18-2005, 06:25 PM
Man i love wikipedia :D

Jay
09-19-2005, 05:05 AM
*disregarding you*
Good for you :p

Pensive
10-26-2005, 12:09 PM
Man i love wikipedia :D

lol, so do I, its quite informative. :D

ThatIndividual
10-26-2005, 01:02 PM
Let this be my first post. Now that I have posted, I should be able to vote. Correct? (I only signed up for the first time this morning.) I look forward to participating. cheers

Hyacinth Girl
10-28-2005, 06:48 PM
Poll:
*Every month, the first 10 nominations will be included in the poll.
*Only those who have posted in the Forum can take participate in the polls.

I'm sorry, but I went and voted in the polls before reading the above rule (I just joined up). Can this be considered my first contribution to the forum so that my votes count?

Hello to everyone out there as well. :wave:

Boris239
03-27-2006, 08:14 PM
This is my entrance post so I'll be able to vote. I'm looking forward to discussing "Solaris"

Tobias
07-26-2006, 09:30 PM
First post. I look forward to participating in this.

Scheherazade
08-01-2006, 02:23 PM
As of today, only members who have 50+ posts can take part in the nomination/voting processes in the Forum Book Club.

TheFemme
08-07-2006, 02:51 PM
I can't wait to participate! It sounds like fun... :D

Rogers_68
11-26-2006, 02:32 PM
hello.

i'm a newbie and i have a couple questions. at what do you announce the book for the month? (i.e., when do you announce december's book?) can anyone take part in it?

thanks.

Scheherazade
11-27-2006, 08:05 AM
hello.

i'm a newbie and i have a couple questions. at what do you announce the book for the month? (i.e., when do you announce december's book?) can anyone take part in it?

thanks.The Book Club discussions are open to all members, Rogers and you can join us anytime you like.

The December 06 book will be announced on November 30th.

brainstrain
12-11-2006, 11:21 PM
Yaay i finally meet the new standard! I look forward to some interesting Literature!

And i plan to introduce you classic-addicted people to some good old fashioned fantasy...

Nightshade
12-12-2006, 04:07 AM
welcome in more ways than one :wave: but I fear youll need to wait a goo half year before you can implment radical change as it were.:D

brainstrain
12-12-2006, 10:43 PM
Mmm goodness, there's a heirarchy isn't there? (If this was Latin that sentence would start with Nomine i think. =D random fact there). Oh well, i've worked my way up through worse. And at least you all seem quite nice and intelligent.

Oooh the people i've met...*involuntary and voluntary shudder*

In short, Thanks goodness for LitNet

And i someday I will get ya'll to at least read Inkheart...i'll admit some of the other stuff is odd haha.

Nightshade
12-13-2006, 04:10 AM
Well I have read...dragon rider was it?? I was classification reading it was actually quiet good:nod:

DickZ
01-07-2008, 03:16 PM
Live Chat:
*At the end of every month, we will have a live chat on the monthly book. It will be open to those members who have been participating in the discussion thread on the Forum. A summary of the chat will be posted on the Forum later on.

I assume there is a description of a live chat somewhere on these boards, but I haven't been able to find it yet. Can someone point me in the right direction?

mickitaz
05-30-2008, 09:46 AM
Also, could someone please indicate "where" the live chat is? I didn't know there was such a place. Thanks.

Scheherazade
05-30-2008, 11:08 AM
Re. live chat> It is not a chat function on the forum.

We used to have chats on MSN at the end of each month to discuss the books we had read but due to lack of interest we haven't been doing it, unfortunately.

rimbaud
02-02-2009, 02:00 PM
when do we get to know which book is chosen, and can u take part in the live chat even if you didn't nominated a book or even if u haven't voted because you don't have 50 posts?

Scheherazade
02-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Rimbaud,

There are couple of books that are being discussed at all times within the Forum Book Club; keep an eye on the sticky threads.

Unfortunately, we are not having the live chats anymore (lack of interest).

applepie
01-07-2010, 03:59 PM
Why do we not do the Poll threads similar to how it used to be? I know once upon a time, we had links to a synopsis of each book nominated, but that was years ago now since it's easily been 2 or 3 years since I was able to participate on a regular basis. Just curious since it always helped me to not pick something simply because I recognized the title.

Scheherazade
01-14-2010, 08:19 PM
Why do we not do the Poll threads similar to how it used to be? I know once upon a time, we had links to a synopsis of each book nominated, but that was years ago now since it's easily been 2 or 3 years since I was able to participate on a regular basis. Just curious since it always helped me to not pick something simply because I recognized the title.Because I became too lazy to include those links, I am afraid, Meg.

*hangs head*

I did not realise -until your post- anyone missed those, though. On the Forum, everyone sounds so well-read that they did not seem like they need those links.

Having said, that is no excuse. I will try to include the links again from now on.

Thanks for bringing this up :)

scaltz
05-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Could I ask a question? Where do members who would like to have the privilege to vote go?

ellenc
07-09-2012, 04:36 AM
thank you for the welcome, but I have to find the book first - I am an admirer of Hardy so hope to join you guys soon. best wishes to all from ellenc