PDA

View Full Version : Salvation Through Suffering

Cellar Door
01-11-2009, 05:11 PM
I have heard it said that Dostoevsky was heavily influenced by mythical elements in Russian Orthodoxy, namely the idea of salvation through suffering. Having only read a few of his novels, I am unsure of the validity of this statement. Anyway, I think it might make for interesting discussion. So, what do you think?

Dr. Hill
01-11-2009, 07:01 PM
Absolutely makes sense. Crime and Punishment?

bazarov
01-12-2009, 06:47 AM
Yes; also Idiot.

Gladys
01-12-2009, 09:07 PM
Lizaveta and Sonia suffer without complaint in 'Crime and Punishment', bringing salvation to others.

In 'The Idiot', Prince Myshkin is a 'suffering servant' who ultimately suffers in silence while bringing some redemption to Roghozin, Vera Lebedev, Lizabetha Prokofievna and that sceptical playboy, Evgenie Pavlovitch.

illiades
10-27-2009, 09:14 AM
This is not a mystical element of Russian Orthodoxy, this is Christianity and its most prevalent message.

Not only that but it is true........

did you last seek Gods counsel when you were paid, healthy and with a dinner date the next day or when you were unpaid, sick and without a friend to ask if you had 'considered suicide that day' ?

Salvation arrives through suffering if not from it.

Gladys
10-28-2009, 12:05 AM
This is not a mystical element of Russian Orthodoxy, this is Christianity and its most prevalent message.

Indeed, the cross is a symbol of salvation through suffering both in Christianity and in Dostoevsky's The Idiot.

The prince would rather have kept this particular cross.

"I'll wear it; and you shall have mine. I'll take it off at once."

"You wish to exchange crosses? Very well, Parfen, if that's the case, I'm glad enough--that makes us brothers, you know."

The prince took off his tin cross, Parfen his gold one, and the exchange was made.