PDA

View Full Version : Love in Jane Eyre

Musampha
01-10-2009, 05:54 AM
Hello everybody

I'm stuggling with an assignment at the moment, we are told to find evidence of Love in Jane Eyre, now I have found various extracts which reflect this such as when Jane first meets Rochester properly and he offers her a "cadeaux". Another example is how Jane rejects Rochester's offers of presents and jewellry. I was wondering if anybody had any other suggestions of interesting cases?

Thank you

Lady Marian
01-11-2009, 10:08 PM
Any particular kind of love?

If you're interested in friendship, there's Jane and Helen, Jane and Bessie, Helen and Miss Temple, Jane and Mr. Rochester (at first), Jane and Adele.

Romance, there's the obvious hero and heroine, but also Mr. Rochester and Celine Varens, Adele's mother. And Mr. Rochester and his crazy wife.

I'm not so sure about all of these, since I haven't finished reading the book :), but they're the ones I've run across so far.

sinskeep
01-12-2009, 10:13 AM
Well, have you finished the book? Because the end is full of examples of how Rochester loves her...

kiki1982
01-13-2009, 05:33 AM
Rochester's perception of love changes between the point where Jane leaves him and the end...

One tip: King Lear. A materialistic kind of love: 'You say you will keep true to me, I give you something in return and you must stay true to me, or else...'
I wrote something on it on the forum. (Off ye lendings)

If you need help, I'll be back tomorrow...

JenJen86
01-16-2009, 09:03 PM
how about the equality of love, my favourite part of the novel is when Jane stands her ground and declares herself rochesters equal.