PDA

View Full Version : Hamlet essay please help me! Urgent

IsHamletaCoward
01-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Well I have a hamlet essay here i wrote. All im missing is the conclusion. Tell me what you think. How can i improve it? What should i say in the conclusion.

---

An Indecisive Hero

An individual should not be judged simply based on their actions as it is—at times—their lack of action which determines their nature. A decisive person with the rash tendency to act is not an individual with the inability to foresee consequences; rather it is a person whose objective is far greater than the penalty. This trait greatly contrasts William Shakespeare’s prized character Hamlet: an individual lead to a state of inaction through his own conscience, establishing the dilemma of whether he is a coward. A coward in usual context is one without the courage to act, to speak up, to be truthful, to mature, to learn, to understand, and most significantly a coward is one lacking the courage to not act. It is quiet simple and cowardly to avoid all instincts and become unconsciously an individual who acts in all circumstance, without the care of consequences and consideration of the conscience. This characterization contrasts the courage of an individual who is able to control their instincts and conscience, and acquit from taking action, even when having the sole ambition to do so. In William Shakespeare’s philosophical play Hamlet, Prince Hamlet is not a coward as he is able to limit himself from committing rash actions, and through his isolation from the surrounding deceptions, is able to enable a balance between wise and moral.

Even with the greatly emotional task Hamlet has at hand, he is able to wisely maintain a balance in faith and action, confirming his courage while discrediting himself as a coward. When Hamlet first hears of his purpose to “revenge his [father’s] foul and most unnatural murder” from the ghost of King Hamlet, he becomes quickly impulsive to seek immediate revenge (1.5.25). Due to the cruelly brutal state of “sulphurous and tormenting flames” which surrounds the spirit of his father, and in addition the demoralizing news of the brotherhood betrayal from his uncle and newly appointed king Claudius (1.5.3), Hamlet proclaims he will “wipe away all trivial fond records” and concentrate merely on seeking revenge (1.5.100). Thus Hamlet begins his pursuit for restoring natural order while maintaining the Ghost’s desire of no harm being done to his mother Gertrude, and to the sanity of his mind, through putting “an antic disposition on”, beginning his deliberate isolation (1.5.173). Other than his only loyal friend Horatio—the scholar who introduced him to his sighting of the Ghost—Hamlet is left to confront his purpose while maintaining moral sanity in his deceptive surroundings. Rather then immediately acting with vengeance and attacking Claudius, Hamlet decides to take an approach which satisfies both his morals and purpose. His false face of a mad man is worn, highlighting a clear indication of the many deceptive faces which will arise. Through Hamlet’s personal agenda, and his use of actions, he is able to maintain his conscience, leading to his coming confrontation between his morals and ambitions.

Prince Hamlet maintains his precise plan of seeking revenge, however is careful to not act rashly, in order to avoid any unnecessary dilemmas. Rather than immediately believing the Ghost and murdering Claudius, Hamlet decides to confirm the truthfulness of the Spirit through the testing of the King’s guilt. Claudius is not yet aware of Hamlet’s newly received knowledge;however he begins to become suspicious with Hamlet’s insane behaviour, thus he sends two of Hamlet’s childhood friends, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, to find the root of “Hamlet’s transformation” (2.2.5). The theme of deception and betrayal is once again present through not only the King’s and Queen’s deceiving spying over Hamlet, but also through Rosencrantz’s and Guildenstern’s unfaithfulness towards a childhood friend. However, Hamlet is aware “the good king and queen have sent for [them]” and can spot the “kind of confessions in [their] looks” (2.2.282), giving him a greater advantage over Claudius (2.2.279). To test Claudius’ guilt, Hamlet presents a revised version of a play which mirrors the act which he is suspected to have committed. Successfully, the revised play demonstrates Claudius’ shamed conscious, allowing Hamlet to “take the ghost’s word for a thousand pound” (3.2.281), lastly consenting him to seek revenge. However due to elaborate scheme by Hamlet, Claudius becomes suspicious of both the Prince’s false sanity and the awareness of his committed crime, thus seeks to eliminate the threat. Unlike a coward who at any circumstances of danger or pain would turn in fear, Hamlet demonstrates compassion and desire to complete his purpose; even when in risk of death. Evidently, Hamlet is wise man of principles, who at last is morally obligated to act.

With the moral obligation to act, Hamlet must finally commit his objective of seeking revenge, hence completing his purpose in Shakespeare’s play as dying an honorable death. The identification of Hamlet being a coward arises due to his inaction, and continuing moral dilemmas. Specifically, it is Hamlet’s self criticism which establishes the belief of him being a moronic, coward-like character. He describes himself as a “dull and muddy-mettled rascal” who is “unpregnant for [his] cause” (2.2.563-564); bringing him to asking himself, “Am I a Coward?” (2.2.567) However, Hamlet’s simple acknowledgement of himself being a coward verifies him
rightfully as a wise man. Being a knowledgeable individual, Hamlet is brilliantly able to escape all of Claudius’ attempts to eliminate him, giving him the continuing chance to complete his task. When Claudius “is praying” (3.3.74), Hamlet is given the perfect opportunity to fulfill the Ghost’s request, however due to his moral desire, decides to not act. Claudius pathetically attempting to kneel down in the chapel would be—according to Hamlet—“a hire and salary, not revenge” as Claudius took his “father grossly, full of bread, with all his crimes broad blown” (3.3.80-83). Hamlet’s purpose is not necessarily to murder Claudius, but rather to seek revenge, and according to Hamlet this can only be done through taking “him in the purging of soul” (3.3.86), hence his lack of action. Gradually, through the death of his love and a series of unfortunate events, Hamlet comes to realize “there’s a divinity that shapes our ends”, and honorably fights a duel which he knows will be his last. Hamlet is seen as callousness, with the vengeance to act, and finally commit his ultimate purpose through murder of the villain, his uncle, the king: Claudius. The greatest testimony to Hamlet’s balance between a moral and wise individual is his readiness to die, most importantly to fulfill his created destiny, discrediting himself as coward.

Gladys
01-09-2009, 02:12 AM
Tell me what you think. How can i improve it?

Your introduction should bear more directly on Hamlet and less on general statements on cowardice, and should prefigure what you will say in the body and conclusion of your essay on Hamlet as 'An Indecisive Hero'. You should indicate where evidence exists relating to possible indecision and its duration.

Later in the essay, you are less than clear whether you consider Hamlet an indecisive hero. You seem to contradict yourself. For instance, when, why and how long is Hamlet in 'a state of inaction'?

What is the meaning of 'his purpose in Shakespeare’s play as dying an honorable death'? What do you mean by 'The identification of Hamlet being a coward arises due to his inaction', and what inaction? In the sentences beginning, 'Claudius pathetically attempting to kneel down...', you use many quotations but explain little.

Your use of the following words seems inappropriate: lead, quiet, acquit, discrediting, brotherhood, conscious and consenting.

whiteangel
01-09-2009, 01:34 PM
I would agree with Gladys.
also...

The introduction creates the entire body, and it seems to be full of general comments rather than a concise take on the Q at hand......I would say your last sentences are the relevant ones in the introduction. ..well thats only my opinion.

"His false face of a mad man is worn, highlighting a clear indication of the many deceptive faces which will arise."
Good point but could be developed more rather than a casual thrown in sentence.
I would add that to the theme of reality Vs appearance - but you would have to link it with the Q also.

It may be good contextual knowlegde to throw in the fact that the Elizabethans were skeptical of ghosts, and so well Hamlet was not delaying but making sure he was not medaling with the "devil"

also perhaps use evidence in the text to show he dies a honorable death- there is some in the last scene.

ahh, whilst reading I realised that you make a point [about his honorable death] and then contradict it by saying that he is a a moronic. - I somehow feels the mention of these two points in the same paragraph undermined what you are saying.
The same is said of the next -point about him being a coward.

"all Claudius's plans to eliminate him"- it is Claudius who effectively plans Hamlets death not Laertes.... for he is merely the instrument of Claudius.

[Hamlet is already dying when he kills Claudius- so perhaps reword your last paragraph]

can I ask what level english this is for....
secondary education/college/university?

IsHamletaCoward
01-09-2009, 05:21 PM
thanks for the help. will try and take suggestions annd fix it up
i know its bad lol

btw im in grade 12 highschool

whiteangel
01-09-2009, 06:58 PM
thanks for the help. will try and take suggestions annd fix it up
i know its bad lol

btw im in grade 12 highschool

I think it's good for that level, just needs a few touch ups :thumbs_up