PDA

View Full Version : Does Hamlet procrastinate?

Gladys
01-02-2009, 02:48 AM
Does Hamlet procrastinate? Understandably, he won't act on the testimony of a ghost alone. Nor will he send a praying Claudius to heaven. Sent to England, he can't act. Soon after his return he dies in the sword fight. He has little time in which to kill Claudius.

Where's the procrastination?

whiteangel
01-02-2009, 11:39 AM
"To be or not to be"... there would be a good start.
Arguable the "murder of Gonzalo" is another form of procrastination because initally Hamlet claims that he will "with wings as swift" fly to his revenge, so then why need proof if you have said to your self you will avenge your father.
The Antic-disposition is a form of procrastination....it achieves nothing, he only furthers away from his goal [her in his assumed madness he kills and this becomes the reason he is "sent packing to england".

there are far to many examples of Hamlet's procrastination to deny it exists

Gladys
01-02-2009, 07:00 PM
Your examples of procrastination, Whiteangel, seem far from clear cut.

"To be or not to be" seems to me to reflect on the dire (probably fatal) consequences of action (killing a king) rather than a procrastination.

Isn't Hamlet's "antic disposition" necessary to disguise his vengeful purpose from Claudius and others?

The full text of your quote is:

Hamlet. Haste me to know't, that I, with wings as swift
As meditation or the thoughts of love,
May sweep to my revenge.

Hamlet's words "Haste me to know't" implies he will seek for more certainty than the testimony of a ghost (a less than reliable source that is frowned upon in the Bible) before acting. In seeking tangible evidence of Claudius' guilt, Hamlet shows commendable probity and diligence rather than procrastination.

whiteangel
01-02-2009, 07:28 PM
Your examples of procrastination, Whiteangel, seem far from clear cut.

"To be or not to be" seems to me to reflect on the dire (probably fatal) consequences of action (killing a king) rather than a procrastination.

Isn't Hamlet's "antic disposition" necessary to disguise his vengeful purpose from Claudius and others?

The full text of your quote is:

Hamlet. Haste me to know't, that I, with wings as swift
As meditation or the thoughts of love,
May sweep to my revenge.

Hamlet's words "Haste me to know't" implies he will seek for more certainty than the testimony of a ghost (a less than reliable source that is frowned upon in the Bible) before acting. In seeking tangible evidence of Claudius' guilt, Hamlet shows commendable probity and diligence rather than procrastination.

Ok i admit i was being lazy with the explanations....

to be or not to be is a form of procrastination, I mean the soliloquy as a whole. He is contemplating far too much... rather than taking any action...there is no need, especially if he is going to put on the mousetrap.... his philosophical and contemplative side IS his procrastination which is evident through such soliloquies.

And you say that

well what does his antic disposition achieved?
all it does is allow him to talk in vulgar terms to Ophelia and Polonius.
and eventually leads to his departure to england...arguably it is nothing but delay for it achieves not it's aim but the very opposite.

Gladys
01-03-2009, 07:40 AM
to be or not to be is a form of procrastination, I mean the soliloquy as a whole. He is contemplating far too much... rather than taking any action...there is no need, especially if he is going to put on the mousetrap.... his philosophical and contemplative side IS his procrastination which is evident through such soliloquies.

Am I missing something? Let's look closer at chronology.

Hamlet can only kill Claudius once his reaction to 'the mousetrap' has confirmed his guilt. Soon after the play is abandoned, Hamlet passes Claudius at prayer on the way to Gertrude's closet to 'please explain', and kills Polonius. Claudius puts him under constant guard, dispatching him by ship to England the next day.

Less than 24 hours hardly provides Hamlet much time to procrastinate!

whiteangel
01-03-2009, 12:07 PM
The antic-dispostion was just another form of procastination then.

Am I missing something? Let's look closer at chronology.

Hamlet can only kill Claudius once his reaction to 'the mousetrap' has confirmed his guilt. Soon after the play is abandoned, Hamlet passes Claudius at prayer on the way to Gertrude's closet to 'please explain', and kills Polonius. Claudius puts him under constant guard, dispatching him by ship to England the next day.

Less than 24 hours hardly provides Hamlet much time to procrastinate!

There are characters in this play who do not need the likes of the "mousetrap" to produce ACTION...even if in some cases this action they take is not thought out--- it is ultimatley an action--- and in the case of Hamlet there is no action , even his filal duty can not produce action from him....he is a procastinator---always thinking, everything he does is in thought.

how can we assume it was 24 hours? well maybe, i did not know shakespeare made it explicit.

Hamlet finds out in the start that his father has been killed by his uncle....now the Ghost is heard by all those in the scene..ie. Haratio to an extent showing that it is not Hamlet's imagination. HOWEVER, he does not act...he needs PROOF even after he claims that he will "sweep" to his revenge.....why does he need proof? because he likes not to act rationally?
really...Killing someone without actually knowning for SURE who they were does not show any rational thinking- why then he not check before he stabs? there no need for proof there?
Hamlet's procastination causes him to create the mousetrap...... it is a facade, not him actually looking for proof, but a method
through which he can delay the play and procastinate some more - for that is akin to him.

Gladys
01-08-2009, 07:28 AM
how can we assume it was 24 hours? well maybe, i did not know shakespeare made it explicit. Not 24 hours but several.

Follow him at foot; tempt him with speed aboard.
Delay it not; I'll have him hence to-night.

whiteangel
01-08-2009, 12:21 PM
Not 24 hours but several.

Follow him at foot; tempt him with speed aboard.
Delay it not; I'll have him hence to-night.

well what is wrong with doing something in the several hours you have?
instead of use them as a excuse to justify procrastination....

but well even then, The antic disposition is his best form of procrastination

Gladys
01-08-2009, 09:20 PM
well what is wrong with doing something in the several hours you have? Prior to departure for England, Claudius places Hamlet under constant guard. Therefore, his window of opportunity to kill Claudius, extends from the end of the 'mousetrap' play until he's placed under constant guard. An hour or two. And for part of this period, Claudius seems the penitent murderer!

Killing a king is a risky exercise and requires good opportunity to avoid interception.

whiteangel
01-09-2009, 04:29 AM
Prior to departure for England, Claudius places Hamlet under constant guard. Therefore, his window of opportunity to kill Claudius, extends from the end of the 'mousetrap' play until he's placed under constant guard. An hour or two. And for part of this period, Claudius seems the penitent murderer!

Killing a king is a risky exercise and requires good opportunity to avoid interception.

I think you assume to much...
"his window of opportunity to kill Claudius" hmm... well what we know of in the play suggests that he had a chance - the confession scene-
then off to england he goes, he kills his friends and back to Denmark sails
he then is FREE enough to ruin Ophelia's funeral.......... were is he under constant guard after he returns.... You may be right, I do not know the play at the back of my hand.

Gladys
01-09-2009, 10:15 PM
then off to england he goes, he kills his friends and back to Denmark sails
he then is FREE enough to ruin Ophelia's funeral On returning with the pirates to Denmark, Hamlet would have difficulty killing Claudius, who now expects treachery.

whiteangel
01-10-2009, 01:25 PM
hmmm... well if we assume so than yes. But then we meddle in a play of assumptions... no?

anyway, what is the purpose for all his soliloquies. They are also a form of his procrastination - he spends all his time contemplating which gives him consequently little time to act.

I was re-reading the play.....and i good point i found was the fact that Hamlet isn't actually sent to England till the far end, there is time from the Murder of Gangazo to England....which is evident for in this moment we see his soliloquies -- so to ask where he procrastinates is kind of no longer a Q.
I mean the play within the play- i give you that- it was a necessity- if we must
But his antic disposition in conjunction with his time eating soliloquies give him much time to procrastinate.

Gladys
01-10-2009, 09:31 PM
I was re-reading the play.....and i good point i found was the fact that Hamlet isn't actually sent to England till the far end, there is time from the Murder of Gangazo to England I don't understand. What time is there?

whiteangel
01-10-2009, 09:38 PM
I don't understand. What time is there?

haha I initially thought u meant what time it is here....which would considering the time be a Q.

Hamlet is sent in Act 4 scene 3 ...this play is 5 acts so the crux becomes weak....albeit the argument is good.