PDA

View Full Version : Smerdyakov and a Guitar

Dr. Hill
12-17-2008, 10:20 PM
This chapter really struck me and made me smile. I recalled Smerdyakov's disinterest with everything and everyone, and found that maybe the significance of his noodling on the guitar and singing showed a soft, less cynical side in him. What do you think the significance of this chapter is, and the girl Smerdyakov is conversing with/singing to?

rimbaud
02-02-2009, 12:59 AM
Well Smed. hates where he comes from, and he always tries to appear 'city like'. he often tries to show how 'smart' he is, but Ivan doesnt really becomes his best friend. He has the urge to rise above all others, to prove himself, and he uses this girl just to get his ego up by she thinking how smart he is

Mathor
03-02-2009, 06:48 PM
I guess you did get around to reading it. I am an avid musician, besides reading that is my most sincere of passions. After reading this passage I instantly had to put the book down, and spent hours playing on my guitar. The inspiration came from this chapter. I don't know of many chapters in books that have done that.

Edit:

Also I don't know if you're finished with this book yet, but I believe your questions will be answered as you read further.

SFG75
07-18-2010, 07:37 PM
An important reference in this section of the book is Smerdyakov and Balaam's ***. The donkey is represented by Smerdaykov of course and according to tradition, the donkey is noble and tries to save Balaam from himself. Likewise, F.D. doesn't regard Smerdaykov as being intelligent, but he is very much the superior in the house by far. Some Old Testament scholars believe God used the donkey to "make fun" of Balaam. Likewise, Fyodor being bested by the "stupid" Smerdyakov shows just how wrong F.D.'s opinion is.

Dejan
10-10-2013, 08:50 PM
Last summer I saw the guy plaaying guitar, and he was so similar to Smerdyakov. Dostoyevsky is crazy son of the *****. He makes me laughing even on the street.

SentimentalSlop
10-16-2013, 08:02 PM
An important reference in this section of the book is Smerdyakov and Balaam's ***. The donkey is represented by Smerdaykov of course and according to tradition, the donkey is noble and tries to save Balaam from himself. Likewise, F.D. doesn't regard Smerdaykov as being intelligent, but he is very much the superior in the house by far. Some Old Testament scholars believe God used the donkey to "make fun" of Balaam. Likewise, Fyodor being bested by the "stupid" Smerdyakov shows just how wrong F.D.'s opinion is.

Smerdyakov is not the stupid character in the book, and neither is Fyodor Pavlovich, believe it or not. Smerdyakov is very smart, but just not as smart as Ivan, and he emulates him because of his ideas. You have to give Smerdyakov credit though that he at least has the balls to carry out Ivan's ideas, unlike Ivan himself.