PDA

View Full Version : What does it mean when a name only has the first letter and a dash?

Thistleryver
12-15-2008, 11:30 PM
I've read alot of books where it says something like "Bishop of D___" and does not include the full name. What does this mean? Why was it done? How am I meant to pronounce this?

I did read somewhere in a French history book that the town that the D___ is referring to is a real place and they named it. But I would like to know how to read these in general?

Dark Muse
12-16-2008, 12:10 AM
Though I have not read Les Misrabels, I have read several books in which they do the same thing and it always annoys me. I have seen it both with the last names of a characater, as well as the name of a place. Though I do not know ezactly way they do it. A possible reason, is becasue they are using the name of a real person or place and in order to protect the true idenity, and protect themselves from libel they exlude the acutal name.

Quilp
12-16-2008, 02:07 AM
It happens to a lot of dates in Nineteenth century novels.

I think Jane Eyre, The Woman in White as well possibly that have 18- printed where a date should be.

I could not think of a rational explanation. I hope someone out there has the answer....

Dark Muse
12-16-2008, 02:11 AM
Yeah I really do not get it why they do it with dates

bazarov
12-16-2008, 04:56 AM
It's bishop of Dignes; I think that writers (not only Hugo) tries to say it could actually happen everywhere.

Silas Thorne
12-16-2008, 05:03 AM
Is it maybe just a way of being purposely vague about names, places etc when the details are not important?

bazarov
12-16-2008, 05:13 AM
Well, that's what I said; yes :D

staceexjx
07-14-2009, 02:53 PM
He does that because that was the style of writing back then. Writers would do that to dates, names, and cities to help the reader focus more on the story, instead of the name or city. They wanted to make it so that the eyes would just scan over it. Although, now, it does the exact opposite. In Les Miserables the city of M____ sur M____ is a real place called Montreuil-sur-Mer and the Bishop od D__ is the Bishop of Digne.

bluesun777
11-27-2009, 02:28 PM
it is said that people believed in the book so much that they started going to the towns and looking for evidence of the story so Hugo just put in dashes. however, many versions including the musical include the real names.