PDA

View Full Version : Anna: Friend or Foe?

Danny Tortilla
12-11-2008, 09:58 AM
I'm nearing the end of the novel. (Part 7: Chapter 25)

My dislike for Anna Karenina (the character) has increased to breaking point. I would rather have this novel dubbed "Kostya Levin" :lol:

Seriously now; Anna Karenina is the epitome of self seeking and narcism. Deserting her (supposedly beloved) son for the love of a man (clearly willing to die for her) only to question this man's love on account of her self centred existence.

"And all at once she knew what was in her soul. Yes, it was that idea which alone solved all. "Yes, to die!... And the shame and disgrace of Alexey Alexandrovitch and of Seryozha, and my awful shame, it will all be saved by death. To die! and he will feel remorse; will be sorry; will love me; he will suffer on my account." With the trace of a smile of commiseration for herself she sat down in the armchair, taking off and putting on the rings on her left hand, vividly picturing from different sides his feelings after her death."

This book vividly sketches the idolising of exterior beauty and its aftermath as well as the contempt the world has for all things pure and spiritual.

Gladys
12-12-2008, 07:55 PM
As you say, but what about the Anna from early in the novel? Where did she go, and why?

Early, Anna is the epitome of maturity, balance and integrity: her gracious love embracing duty, responsibility and commitment with consummate ease.

grace86
12-12-2008, 08:50 PM
The novel is realistic in a sense though, don't you think? It would be nice to wish that everyone's story ended like Levin's.

Yeah Anna drives you nuts, but in the beginning she was someone to be admired, and she fell apart. She made some terrible choices.

What do you think of the novel over all?

Danny Tortilla
12-15-2008, 04:55 AM
What do you think of the novel over all?

It is easy to see why so many people hold this book in such high regard. It is timeless because the story is so accurate and honest in mimicking life in its general (society and its routine) and most intimate (life and death) moments.

Highlights:
Levin meeting Kitty in the park (skating together)
Levin proposing to Kitty (the second time)
The birth of Levin's son
The fullness of Kitty's love for Levin (nearing the end of the novel)
Levin’s revelation of the nefarious nature of man’s pride

bazarov
12-15-2008, 08:01 AM
Yeah Anna drives you nuts, but in the beginning she was someone to be admired, and she fell apart. She made some terrible choices.

Why? What did she made wrong?