PDA

View Full Version : Hamlet and scripture

megballerina
12-09-2008, 04:15 PM
Can anyone give me some examples of when Hamlet alludes to scripture? Thanks!

Gladys
12-10-2008, 04:55 AM
As I said, Hamlet alludes to Abel, blood, crowing, dust, cherubim, sparrow, devil, spirit, Jephthah and many more.

To find them, search

Hamlet Complete Searchable Text (www.online-literature.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2044)

whiteangel
01-03-2009, 01:04 PM
When he does allude to scripture what purpose does he have?
I mean when he compares his father with "jove himself...hyperion's curls...Mars"... his purpose is to almost create this deity like, omnipotent image of his dead father....but where else in the play does he use scripture for a purpose?

Gladys
01-03-2009, 10:13 PM
...but where else in the play does he use scripture for a purpose? Everywhere there's an allusion to scripture.

whiteangel
01-04-2009, 07:44 AM
Everywhere there's an allusion to scripture.

well yes, but what is the purpose of this?

Gladys
01-04-2009, 08:01 PM
well yes, but what is the purpose of this? Each Biblical allusion has it's own distinct purposes.

whiteangel
01-05-2009, 12:45 PM
Each Biblical allusion has it's own distinct purposes.

yes that is true,
but I suppose the point I am making is; he could have used anything to make references to things in the play, but he specifically chooses to allude to the Bible....the question is why... hmm

Beewulf
01-06-2009, 12:08 AM
One way you could approach the question of "why" is to recall that many of Shakespeare's plays contain biblical references. Perhaps the answer to your question is simply that Shakespeare was familiar with the Bible and found it a useful resource to borrow from.

It's also possible that Hamlet regularly makes biblical references because he's interested in religious or spiritual matters and issues of issues of morality, life and death. I tend to favor this view.

Gladys
01-06-2009, 01:08 AM
Perhaps the Perhaps the answer to your question is simply that Shakespeare was familiar with the Bible and found it a useful resource to borrow from and found it a useful resource to borrow from

A much more likely answer is that Shakespeare's readers, particularly the literate, were familiar with the Bible.

whiteangel
01-06-2009, 05:04 AM
Yes, I think you both have good points.

Perhaps also to reinforce the religious theme of the play.....if there is one....I like to think not.