PDA

View Full Version : The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith

Scheherazade
12-09-2008, 06:43 AM
I picked up The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency because I needed something short and "easy" to read after finishing A Suitable Boy.

As the title suggests, it is a about a female detective but you might like to put your expectations aside after that point onwards because it is not about tough, big haired, leather pants wearing athletic ladies "kicking some criminal butts" (sorry, guys!). The book's heroine is Mma Ramotswe, who is an over weight, almost middle aged Botswanan lady, who decides to open a detective agency to help mostly other Botswanan ladies, upon inheriting some money from her father.

The "tales" told by Smith are heart-warming, interesting and almost philosophical at times (not "my kung-fu is better than yours" type, though). It is refreshing to read something about Africa which does not make racism or civil unrest its centre piece and concentrate on the "human" element, which exists everywhere regardless of one's geographical location. However, the African elements introduced are charming and leave you longing for more.

An excellent book for a lazy afternoon or even for a busy one!

8/10 KitKats!

kasie
12-09-2008, 06:49 AM
So glad you enjoyed it, Sche, I love this series - a gentle, heartwarming read as you say, and so good to read something not about racial tensions and violence, yet not fluffy either.

I met a lady named Precious while I was in SA - she said the name is not uncommon over there.

Niamh
12-09-2008, 07:08 AM
I love these books. They really are such an easy read. I'd give them 9/10

Guinivere
12-10-2008, 06:11 AM
Just recently I read another book by the same author. I think it was called something like "42 Scotland Street" and I really enjoyed it.

So maybe I'll go for the Lady Detectives next. They sound very charming. Wonder if my library has them.

Joreads
12-10-2008, 10:57 PM
I love these books. They really are such an easy read. I'd give them 9/10

I agree with you Niamh. They are the perfect book to read when you don't want anything to heavy and they are really engrossing to. I love them.

Thespian1975
12-13-2008, 04:35 PM
A good book if you want gentle storylines. If your looking for a "detective" book like I was, then it's a disappointment. It hasn't made me want to read anything else by him.

curlyqlink
01-09-2009, 08:40 PM
Excellent review, makes me want to read it. Could use something gentle and literate round about now.

Maybe I'll suggest it for my book club...

Allannah
01-10-2009, 08:53 AM
Lol I love the No1 Ladies' Detective agency series! They're so funny. I have all of them- my favourite is the first one or Blue Shoes and Happiness =D
Ahh bless Precious and her traditionalness =D

Joreads
01-20-2009, 05:55 PM
Lol I love the No1 Ladies' Detective agency series! They're so funny. I have all of them- my favourite is the first one or Blue Shoes and Happiness =D
Ahh bless Precious and her traditionalness =D

Haen't seen Blue Shoes I will have to get a hold of it

kinkajou
09-26-2009, 10:56 AM
Adore this series! The word "gentle" is perfect for these books, despite the fact that serious subjects are often discussed.