PDA

View Full Version : Write A Really Short Story In 50 Words Or Less

Pages : [1] 2 3

mister_noel_y2k
02-20-2005, 06:48 PM
It was carnival in Venice and everyone had on masks of demons.
Two people dressed as demons, a man and a woman, met and decided to go home together.
The man took off his mask. “Now you,” he said.
“I’m not wearing a mask” she said and killed him.

:banana:

mono
02-20-2005, 07:20 PM
Interesting!
Okay, here goes . . .

Once upon a time a king and queen married and lived happily ever after.

amuse
02-20-2005, 07:38 PM
my landlady's ex-husband had never given his key back. he let himself in and stared at me as i unknowingly showered. i was in utter shock as i saw his fingers extend themselves toward me. even more disbelievingly, i saw myself brain him with my hot curling iron seconds later.

Isagel
02-21-2005, 03:05 PM
Brr... Scary stories. Mine is not horror, just something i wrote after work. And it´s 50 words! :

Five hours after her death I sign all the documents and put them in a red plastic cover. I enter the archive, and lacking a ritual I whisper her name, before sorting her file according to the numbers of her birthdate. I turn off the light, and lock the door.

Miss Darcy
02-21-2005, 10:35 PM
I think I like Mono's best. :D

They all have enormous impact though. That's just my favourite because it ends happily ever after. ;)

baddad
02-22-2005, 12:15 AM
We met at a party. We talked all night. We discussed existence. We talked about our lives, loves, hates. We couldn't seem to get enough of each other. We drew vast energy from each other. We drank some red wine. We kissed.The sun was coming up when we parted. (50)

Cassiopeia
02-27-2005, 01:52 AM
She used to jump over puddles.

The rainwater would splash, and often, a smatter of mud would appear on the red galoshes she wore. When she jumped over those puddles, she flew, as one flies high in the sky, without any inhibition, or fear; a feeling of vertigo that surpassed the eagles.

Snukes
02-27-2005, 04:26 PM
I forgot him at the train station. I should never have gone into the cafe, but the pastries looked so nice, and oh! those charming blue eyes... He was no longer there when I finally remembered. For a pair of blue eyes and an apricot strudel, tonight I sleep alone.

Nemi
02-27-2005, 09:30 PM
Deleting because I want to enter them in a competition, just in case they get pissy about it being "previously published online"

Nemi
02-27-2005, 09:32 PM
Deleting because I want to enter them in a competition, just in case they get pissy about it being "previously published online"

Helga
02-28-2005, 09:40 AM
I am 80 years of age, but I haven't lived. Now I lay in the grass wondering why,why, why. Why didn't I love, play, laugh and cry. I did nothing.

I look at the sky, I fly with the sparrow. I fall in the ocean and die.

I lived.

mister_noel_y2k
02-28-2005, 03:31 PM
nemi's stories are excellent.

kudos! :banana:

Scheherazade
03-01-2005, 01:56 PM
Crawling, curling into a tiny ball as if she could face the life nomore. Shutting herself into a cocoon so that she didn’t have to see the world and the world didn’t see her anymore. Locked up in self-imposed imprisonment for a lifetime. Until… until she was a butterfly.

Snukes
03-02-2005, 10:59 AM
Jam and toast and fruit and tea, all laid out on a pretty little tray. Put a rose in a little vase. Take it up to the bedroom, but don't be too noisy. You haven't been this thoughtful in years! You're so smart. She'll never suspect a thing.

((What a great game!))

atiguhya padma
03-02-2005, 01:43 PM
Her new house had a fireplace. She never used it. The logs remained untouched, ornamental. In her childhood, when the bombs dropped, many hid in the cellars. Until troops used flamethrowers to flush out the enemy.

Only children and women there.

The men had all perished on the battlefield.

atiguhya padma
03-03-2005, 08:57 AM
She was reading Kenneth Tynan’s Diaries. “Could you show me the way to Grantchester?” I asked. Smiling she said “3 rows down, top shelf”. Later, in her flat, during our fusion, her grand finale coincided with my flourish. “Oh God” I cried. “Is there honey still for tea?” she whispered.

atiguhya padma
03-03-2005, 09:04 AM
He sat helplessly watching the monitor. Her heartbeat seemed to form a word: LIPS. He instinctively kissed her. Would she now awake from her coma? No change. He watched again. HEART it said. He kissed her soft breast. No change. Just before she flatlined, the monitor read I LOVE YOU.

Jay
03-04-2005, 05:36 PM
AP, that's so nice... and sad... and nice... awww, poor them :(... sequel? hapilly ever after? Fairy tale ending? I know, I'm silly, sue me, can't help it :blush:

Cassiopeia
03-04-2005, 11:35 PM
It hurts so bad sometimes; it hurts so terribly, wretchedly bad that sometimes, she thinks she'd rather not have a heart at all.

And so, she sits, watching as the world passes by, and inside, her heart is breaking into a million pieces.

But you'd never know.

Helga
03-05-2005, 08:19 PM
I still have my old doll. I don't know why. I hug it, it comforts me. One eye is fallen out,and my dog bit of two fingers. It watches me. I read, it watches me. I undress, it watches me. I wonder what it's thinking?!

mono
03-12-2005, 08:05 PM
Someone gave a homeless man a dollar bill; he spent the dollar on cigarettes; someone robbed the convenience store of the dollar bill; in his escape, the robber lost the dollar bill; it floated in the wind to a woman who gave it to her child; the child tore it in half.

Helga
03-22-2005, 05:31 PM
I saw him today. As sweet as ever, he smiled at me.I blushed. I always do. I fell in love with him when I saw his eye's last week. Brown. Love at first sight. We had coffee, in a separet corner. We don't speak the same language.

Kilini
03-24-2005, 08:31 PM
The edges of the black notebook are frayed and slightly torn, stained by the mundane occurrences of life. But it’s pretty. I kept it by my side religiously for a whole school year. 7th to 8th. I scribbled frenetic thoughts. I dabbled in poetry. I nibbled on elegance. Oh notebook.

Exactly 50 words. B)

Helga
04-02-2005, 06:48 PM
I read the news today, about a lucky man who made the grade. And though the news was rather sad. Well I just had to laugh I saw the photograph. He blew his mind out in a car. Hadn't noticed that the lights had changed.

(I kinda stole it, I had nothing)

Basil
04-02-2005, 08:49 PM
'This is a story with a trick beginning.'

Your man put down his pen and considered the possibility that if he left this as the only sentence then his story would also have a trick ending.

"On the Art of the Short Story," Bernard MacLaverty

amuse
04-02-2005, 10:58 PM
...she was in for a crime she hadn't committed. afraid she would go insane if she stayed, she befriended a rat. for her love, it chewed threw cement walls, enabling her to make her escape. the warden had the prison walls restructured with inner panes of glass.
her friend died.

lavendar1
04-02-2005, 11:38 PM
Rounding the corner, he observed a classy blue convertible parked in front of his house. A round woman sat at the wheel. "You been around long?" he asked. Her lip curled, Billy Idol-like. "Only since I had my baby, you Irish jerk," was her round rejoinder.

Basil
04-04-2005, 11:18 AM
I guess you could say his hour had come round at last, eh? :p

atiguhya padma
04-05-2005, 09:50 AM
Suddenly Death leapt off the page, its letters inflating, rotating. You sat in amazement as the word, forming a bodyshape, awkwardly ambled across to the dimmer switch, the stumps of H slowly turning down the light. The room darkened. It grew cold. You noticed the clock had stopped. Motionless silence.

amuse
04-06-2005, 01:57 PM
her nephew hadn't appeared - strange: everyone else had before their birth. yet he was due any minute. her skin tingled; she whispered a prayer, never saw the truck run the red light...the next thing marsha knew, she was blind, slippery, and her sister was saying "my precious, precious son."

amuse
04-06-2005, 09:17 PM
in the airdock a man asked me: "have you the time?" thank god i learned english when i was fifty.
"half past the second moon dark," i replied "and have you seen any of the crew from Lunarcha?
why did he rush off? and which galaxy am i in anyway?

RightHand
04-07-2005, 01:44 AM
She lived alone in the house of her childhood, memories her companions. She read the paper at the table she had spilled milk on when she was three and allowed the dogs to sleep on the couch where she had lost her virginity at seventeen. The circle was nearly complete.

Dave
04-12-2005, 06:43 PM
Holding the trophy aloft, he screamed to the crowd in a confident and victorious tone, “I am your champion”. The crowd roared with enthusiasm, then promptly stoned him to death.

ihrocks
04-17-2005, 10:07 PM
The old woman fell asleep. The aged, creased, yellowed piece of paper slipped from her fingers to the floor where her cat batted it lazily in the late afternoon sun. The only words still legible: "I wish......."

The old woman died smiling.

Helga
04-26-2005, 03:37 PM
The woman never cleaned her house. She lived in the dirt. Her cat's droppings all over the floor. Pretty soon she couldn't smell it anymore. She didn't care. Then a couple appeared at her door. They cleaned her house. The cat is happy, the woman hates the fresh smell.

Veritas
04-28-2005, 09:26 AM
it stares
at me for many
weeks now.
eyepiercing
accusing
conveniently forgotten
making
me squirm
in disgust.
and with
excruciating guilt
I try to
ignore
what with
apathetical
impossible
indifferent
impassibility
as one
hugely neglected
towering clump
slumps over
the rim of this
inncocent receptacle.
Laundry
waiting
to be ironed.

blp
05-02-2005, 08:17 PM
The plastic bag had been there since I started. It took me six months to wonder what was in it, during which time Jane assiduously rejected me. I had just decided to look when she came in and suggested a drink. When the affair ended, the bag was gone.

Dreamer
06-06-2005, 05:15 AM
Years ago, I had an intimate friend. Days passed and came between us. Once I saw her walking with a new friend hand in hand, she was happy and ignored my presence completely. Standing there, my eyes full of tears, I've learned how to forget those who don't deserve my love.

Taliesin
06-06-2005, 11:12 AM
I am afraid of old books. They stare at me with their eyeless eyes, silently sussurating with their centurified pages as if they wanted to enhance me to some endless sleep. A silent and subtle death awaits them who fall a victim to them.
The question is: "Am i suicidal?"

Fifty words.
Nice game.

Nightshade
06-06-2005, 11:27 AM
It was a Saturday, sunny, perfect shopping weather. Suddenly there was a scream. Crowds rushed to help. They found a body that had been battered beyond recognition with a charity collection box. A woman covered in blood stood calmly by the body all she would say is;
“Never make excuses”.

:smash: :D

atiguhya padma
06-07-2005, 12:58 PM
One day the rippling waves of sea will smile upon the mackerel sky. The golden fields of corn will dance with the windswept trees in a summer waltz. A tune will echo through the air, and soprano voices will go arm in arm with baritone. Love will unite us all.

Monica
06-07-2005, 01:48 PM
One day the rippling waves of sea will smile upon the mackerel sky. The golden fields of corn will dance with the windswept trees in a summer waltz. A tune will echo through the air, and soprano voices will go arm in arm with baritone. Love will unite us all.

I like this one very much :nod: The shortest comment would be :banana:

Nerd
06-09-2005, 03:43 PM
You could have set your watch by her. Every day at 3.03 the little girl with chestnut pigtails would ride around the court in cockamamie circles until uncouth barks lured her back inside. Once, she didn’t show up to ride around the pavement. Three years later, I still wait for her picture on the milk carton.

atiguhya padma
06-10-2005, 04:51 AM
Too embarrassed to buy one herself, I ordered it by post. She had a fit, signing for it. Never be able to speak to the postman again. What if it had gone to a neighbour!?! Hours ago she locked herself in the bedroom with it. Still moaning.

A big mistake.

Isagel
06-10-2005, 05:08 AM
Somehow I do not think that this short story is about books . Still giggling.

atiguhya padma
06-10-2005, 08:10 AM
Thanks, Isagel. Glad it made you laugh:)

amirah_almas
06-11-2005, 01:51 AM
Maria could hear the footsteps behind her as she walked home in the dark street. Her heart was racing and she started to panic . As she increased her walking pace, she could hear the footsteps coming closer. She tried to run when a familiar voice cried out "Bellisimo Maria" She recognised the voice. It was her brother Felipe. :wave:

Jack_Aubrey
06-12-2005, 12:01 AM
Raul agonized over his problem. Was it a problem? He thought to himself. Yes of course it is, don't be an idiot. He paced around the apartment, he began to get sick to sick to his stomach. She is an angel. "Only fools rush in."

bestseller
07-01-2005, 10:01 PM
I looked down at my new shoes, shined for the first day of my new career. My father's words of hard work rung true. I was to be all that I could be as a proffesional. I looked through the window and said, "Would you like fries with that?"

Helga
07-04-2005, 08:16 PM
He didn't come. I was waiting all day, well until I went to work. he told me that he would be there. When he's working, he dosen't know that I'm watching him. so beautiful and strong. But today, he never showed up. I wonder if I'll ever see him again.

Golding15BF
07-10-2005, 07:33 PM
A man took to the appeals of archery and soon decided to become an archer.
His first words as an archer were "Oh dear"
Why did he say this?
He had missed the target and shot his foot instead.

Completely on impulse. Please, tear it apart.

Jack_Aubrey
07-11-2005, 06:10 PM
Bill sat up, exhaaaaaausted. He could hardly breathe he was so tired. His vision was blurry. He thought about the way he had looked at her, and how he had said all the wrong things. Then he started to become depressed about it, and went back to bed. It was still night.

sir_alex
07-13-2005, 05:23 AM
As the flaxen swan tore the princess from the grasp of the handsome prince, a gasp escaped his mouth.
"No!" he yelled, and leaped after her, only to fall into the fiery crater of the volcano...
Yet the swan kept flying, carrying the sobbing princess to who-knows-where...

lavendar1
07-24-2005, 10:43 PM
That little patch of ground in front of the trailer was for her flowers, godd**m it! And for those herbs people used to make teas. Still, he parked that truck there and threw up the hood like it was a flag, surrendering them to squalor. She had it towed away.

blp
07-27-2005, 11:14 AM
Later he turned up in Arles, making a blurry, colour saturated film. He had a tastefully bruised look, as if he'd caught flack from a fistfight between Van Gogh and Gaugin. Perhaps he had. In the evenings, drunk, he seemed to go somewhere vaguer, more blotchy, a little nuts.

amuse
07-27-2005, 05:34 PM
she could not get enough: she moved to france to glory in the freshest wheels she could find. she bathed in cheese, talked in cheese, slept in cheese, made love in cheese. years later, her world-class offspring were sold at black-market prices during holidays.

NNoah3
07-27-2005, 06:22 PM
I do not regret anything of what I have done in my entire life. Only you my little child, have the power to choose the way in which you want to live your life. You must to be sure of that is the right choice, because once that you have done it nobody is going to live it for you. These were his last words before dying.

blp
07-28-2005, 05:49 AM
It was odd to see him in real reality, not just reality TV. When I came back from getting lunch he was there again and I decided to speak to him. I'm sorry you were evicted, I said, I loved your remarks on philosophy.

Rachy
08-15-2005, 02:52 PM
I knew I should have gone. I found out later that if I had have met him, I would most probably be dead. I knew there was going to be some benefit of meeting this man in which I had recieved his number from a phonebox. I should have gone.

adilyoussef
08-15-2005, 08:47 PM
Two steps ramained but he could not walk. He'd been shot and walked a long distance just to inform her of the danger. No more, he knew it was the end. His hand on his stomach and his eyes looking at the sky, he stayed there. Then evrything faded.

blp
08-18-2005, 06:29 AM
I lived at the amusement park then. The price of admission was to take a close look at yourself in a dusty mirror. The hearse ride was always popular. People got on it as if they couldn't help themselves.

Isagel
08-18-2005, 06:54 AM
I really love your short stories , blp. They remind me of some of Bradburys good stories. They have the same feeling , like something living just at the borderline of myths and fairytales.

Now I have to take a look at your other posts. Perhaps you have written poetry as well. To qoute the great one. " This might be the beginning of a beautiful friendship"

atiguhya padma
08-18-2005, 07:02 AM
I remember Bruges in an odoriferous way: the ponies carrying passengers across the city; the waffle houses; the canals lit up at night; the chocolate displayed in open windows. As for taste, all I remember, is your kiss, and the faintest flavour of the finest wine.

blp
08-18-2005, 07:19 AM
I really love your short stories , blp. They remind me of some of Bradburys good stories. They have the same feeling , like something living just at the borderline of myths and fairytales.

Now I have to take a look at your other posts. Perhaps you have written poetry as well. To qoute the great one. " This might be the beginning of a beautiful friendship"

Thanks! There's a long poem by me on the second page of personal poetry and it's had no comments, so feedback would be much appreciated.

P.S. I guess you mean Ray Bradbury, not Malcolm. Might go have a look. Haven't read anything by him since Dandelion Wine when I was 12 (a long time ago)

Isagel
08-18-2005, 07:25 AM
Yes, I meant Ray Bradbury. Haven´t read anything by Malcolm Bradbury.

adilyoussef
08-20-2005, 07:17 PM
Taking a sip from my bottle of water, I gazed at the screen. Her eyes are shining and are deep blue. No I heve to forget her, to take her out of my mind. Oh! How can any one forget his mother although she is dead now.

Rachy
09-13-2005, 04:58 PM
Jane tapped her pencil against her lips, she had been sitting over her paper for hours now and still nothing had come out, she was almost in tears with frustration when she looked up at the man standing above her.

Rachy
09-13-2005, 05:02 PM
Holly looked at Jonny, she had no idea that this was going to be the last time she would ever see him, she smiled as he opened his lips to speak, "I have something to tell you!"

Johnny Odd
09-15-2005, 09:39 AM
It has a terrible affect on one's morrale, being dead. It's just no fun. Espescially if one died in the same manner as me. I mean, when you think about it seriously it was a horrible way to die - but on face value, well.... being squashed by a hormonal cow just isn't a cool is it.

(just over 50)
**I actually knew a woman who died this way!**

nickelsilver
09-15-2005, 10:37 AM
It has a terrible affect on one's morrale, being dead. It's just no fun. Espescially if one died in the same manner as me. I mean, when you think about it seriously it was a horrible way to die - but on face value, well.... being squashed by a hormonal cow just isn't a cool is it.

(just over 50)
**I actually knew a woman who died this way!**

Squashed by a hormonal cow? that really happened? I guess it did. My mini-story did, too:

Richard’s back in town. He’s been in the desert for five years looking for the “Lost Dutchman” mine. Apparently he didn’t find it. I asked how he survived in the desert. He said he survived off the land and ate coyotes. I asked if coyote tasted like chicken. He said it tasted just like dog.
:eek:

blp
09-19-2005, 05:04 AM
She was coming over the hill with a dog on a leash. I noticed with interest that the dog was a plastic one with wheels. In a few months everyone had them. There were plastic dogs on the covers of all the magazines.

rachel
09-19-2005, 12:23 PM
Holding my still warm croissant I smile as I sit down on the bench to wait for the bus.
I imagine how the first bite will taste and as I open my carefully lipsticked mouth the bus comes and I cough and drop the croissant.The day seems dull.

"The comedy of man survives the tragedy of man" G.K.Chesterton

Chava
09-19-2005, 03:50 PM
Taps her fingers across the poignant café table. Raised her eyes to the poster advertising "Dent's - a real good toothpaste" she spots the reflection, get's up and runs. She spilled the glass.

Rachy
09-20-2005, 01:35 PM
I took the small objects in my hand and smiled. I had been trying to get these for so long and now I finally had them. I couldn't have been any happier as I grabbed a glass of water, popped the objects into my mouth and swallowed them down. I was dead before my head even touched the floor.

Rachy
09-20-2005, 01:37 PM
Sorry just a bit over 50 there! Woops.

blp
09-21-2005, 12:26 PM
I bet you could get it down to fifty with some cutting.

Psycheinaboat
09-22-2005, 01:04 AM
Elizabeth stared at Jimmy as if she could not see him, and walked away.

Jimmy wished he could be a fly on the wall of her brain; witness her thoughts, her motivations, see through her eyes.

Jimmy did not want to control her, but observe her from the inside out.

(Aha! Fifty words exactly. This is fun!)

Nightshade
09-22-2005, 01:33 PM
The miracle drifted gently downwards, beautifully shaped. A little boy in red wellingtons and a yellow mac tried to catch it- it escaped. Eventually it landed on the sidewalk to disapeare for ever under a trampling of busy feet. Nobody but the little ever noticed it.

alexstar
09-23-2005, 11:23 PM
we can expand our imagination through this sentence,
just add my own dreams to the sentence and make a story my own!

;)

Interesting!
Okay, here goes . . .

Once upon a time a king and queen married and lived happily ever after.

elissa
09-24-2005, 01:53 AM
I went to see a man today; they said he is wise.
He told me of all things, and we discoursed until dawn.
It came time to retire, and I said come with me, lead others to truth.
He said no I cannot.

Without courage wisdom bears no fruit.
He wasn't so wise.

hm just over.

lavendar1
09-25-2005, 10:34 AM
The gray sky hung heavy with the threat of rain. There would be no rain, but the threat, of course, would remain. He continued to the crossroads, taking a left, not a right, and rolled instead into something unexpected -- Sunday morning.

elissa
09-25-2005, 11:22 AM
In Paris you smoked cigarrettes with the artists. They wore berets; you didn't. You danced with the locals. Swing. You prayed with the sinners, and you bathed with the gods.
But you ate alone.

Rachy
09-25-2005, 11:46 AM
Georgina kissed her fathers cheek as she let go of his old hand and laid her head on his chest as he hugged her. The slow drumming of his heart brought comfort to her as she had almost lost him once due to that same heart.

PistisSophia
09-25-2005, 12:44 PM
It was December and the snow was covered with blood. It was all I could do to keep any resemblance of balance. What world had I entered; the world of the sick and diseased? What was happening to me. This I will never know, for the best kept secrets are those kept from oneself.

elissa
09-25-2005, 02:44 PM
I broke the routine and came in late one night, and I saw that she had been drinking. It was an accident. She wailed at me with desperation in her voice that only a drunk can so well achieve.
You presume I'll always be here waiting.
I've brought you dinner.

samercury
09-25-2005, 05:48 PM
The fireflies lit up the night. She sat there on the wet grass, smiling to herself. A passerby would have thought that she was dead and would have called the authorities. She wasn’t dead. She was lost inside herself looking for an answer that wouldn’t come because it was in the past and she was here- looking for it.

That wasn't over 50... was it?

Rachy
09-30-2005, 02:33 PM
I met him online. How pathetic does that sound? But this was different. We met and I loved every thing about him. The way his mouth moved, the way he stroked the top of my ear, the way he kissed me. I love him.

samercury
10-02-2005, 09:53 AM
The cat stepped into the street, thinking. Things had changed so much since the last time she was here 5000 years ago. He still remembered the last time when Boy took him to the Nile River. While coming home, he was drowned in the deep river, never to be seen again. Now, he was back, and ready for revenge.

Pensive
10-02-2005, 09:59 AM
Amjad was a wood cutter. He was a honest man. One day he accidently dropped his hammer into the sea. An angel came and went into the sea to find Amjad's hammer. Atlast he found it and another hammer of gold too. He gave both of the hammers to Amjad because he was honest. After that Amjad lived happily with his hammers...

Pensive
10-02-2005, 10:03 AM
All of you have done a good job. Yours is very good samecury.
Rachy's story is very funny...lol.

Nightshade
10-02-2005, 02:30 PM
Softly does the wind blow through the skelton of this old house. The trees lean away as if to put the slightest space between them would make a differance.
At night you hear them wondering, crying-souls those lost and those wishing that they were.

samercury
10-02-2005, 10:14 PM
"A mouse, my kingdom for a mouse"- Those were the first words that the Cat heard as he stepped outside the alley. Things really had changed if a cat would go so low just to get food. Yes things had changed. Despite being scared out of his mind at the thought of being eaten by the maniac, Cat had to ask:" Who the hay are you"

litlover
10-03-2005, 10:52 AM
Two young lovers carved their intials on a tree. Year on year it grew; high and straight. Storms beat it, snow bowed it, rain lashed it but Sun, the warming Sun smiled brightly upon it till it became the tallest, strongest tree. The initials grew old high in the boughs.

Rachy
10-03-2005, 01:16 PM
Rachy's story is very funny...lol.
Hehe. How comes you think that?

Darlin
10-03-2005, 04:12 PM
No story here only accolades! From page 1 to 7 these little drabbles are so very good. Many are quite brilliant and quite a lot gave me unexpected laughs. You're all very talented!

samercury
10-03-2005, 08:43 PM
"Who am I?" asked the gray cat "You mean, you haven't heard of the story of the last surviving cat on the planet??? I am absolutely astounded. Oh well what would you except from youngsters- no respect at all" Cat stood there, jaw hanging, thinking that this cat needed to go to a vet. Deciding to advise him as to where to get his head fixed, Cat said: "Pardon me sir, but again I would like to ask for your name"

YellowCrayola
10-04-2005, 12:41 AM
"I loved him dearly. The way he talked, the way he acted, the way he moved... in all his splendor and glory. Suddenly, he was gone. The sky was weeping, the wind wailing. Never has there been so much sorrow."

samercury
10-06-2005, 10:16 PM
"Pick a card any card! and I'll guess it correctly" said the funny-looking man in the cape. "Mom, what are we doing here?" she asked because this was the first time they had gone somewhere by themselves. "Don't worry dear, we're running away from the police." "why mom?" "Because I killed your father" she replied, then laughted.

samercury
10-09-2005, 12:08 PM
"Welcome to the Enchanted Forest tutorial everyone!!!! Here, we'll teach you everything you need to know to come out of an enchanted forest alive. The first and most important rule is: DON"T EAT ANYTHING especially if it looks delicious- remember Hansel and Gretel?- if you eat something, you won't know what might happen"

Rachy
10-11-2005, 03:45 PM
Everytime I looked at him I got butterflies in my stomach. Everything about him amazed me! Even when he wasn't there I couldn't help but smile. My friends didn't know what was going on, but I couldn't help it, he had made me so happy!

Darlin
10-12-2005, 02:36 PM
He fell for her instantly. She was driving through. They only shared a look. It changed his life. He wanted to go after her but what if he missed her at the junction? He considered his options; decided she’d return as most did. Forty years later he was still waiting.

Nightshade
10-12-2005, 10:43 PM
They say that if you sat long enough on this particular corner you would see everyone you had ever known and everyone you would everwish to. what he saw as the truck hurdled towards him we will never know.

B-Mental
10-12-2005, 10:48 PM
There once was a boy with a really long signature. One day his friends asked if he would shorten it. The boy felt hurt. This made his friends sad. Finally the boy decided to shorten his signature, and they all live happily ever after. Tah Dah!

Darlin
10-14-2005, 04:27 PM
She sat doodling during the staff meeting, voices a dull background noise as she wondered what to do over the weekend. Shortly people rose forming two lines. Confused, she joined the shortest line, received a hand shake and best wishes in her new job search. Plans for tomorrow – job search.

lavendar1
10-14-2005, 04:41 PM
She wanted to wash her hair but he wouldn't let her.

"Baby, you're fine just like you are," he said, reaching for her shiny tresses. When he connected, he reconsidered. "Go a head," he said. "Wash away."

She got into the shower. He watched Dirty Harry.

Rachy
10-14-2005, 05:23 PM
I weaved the fork in and out of my fingers as I looked at my food. I had lost my appetite over the last few days and I didn't know why. As the door opened I looked up, it was her!

Rachy
10-14-2005, 05:24 PM
They say that if you sat long enough on this particular corner you would see everyone you had ever known and everyone you would everwish to. what he saw as the truck hurdled towards him we will never know.

This is **FAB** Hehe. I love it!

Darlin
10-16-2005, 12:37 AM
Hot breath upon my cheek, a gentle touch upon my brow. A dream? I sleep but feel so alive as someone, something hovers above me wanting, needing me – so much that I too need, need beyond expression. I sigh as his teeth sink into my throat and then I scream.

blp
10-17-2005, 05:56 AM
'The people are disappointing', she said, clinking her drink, sitting down in the semi darkness. Her English still wasn't that good. 'Do you mean disappointing or disappointed?' I said. She looked at me wanly, then turned so her face was in shadow. ‘It’s no matter', she said.

samercury
10-19-2005, 06:19 PM
" We'll make you powerful. You will rule the world at our side and everyone will obey your wishes." That's what the little green man said. It sounded tempting...until I asked for the price that is. "Oh nothing" he answered "Just give us your life and soul. Oh and if you turn super evil, don’t blame us"

Darlin
10-20-2005, 12:35 AM
Impossible but true. A woman whose words were like lyrics, her heart was so full of love. No anger, no hate in her. She suffered, she struggled but always love prevailed. Giving love in a world without love. She believed in God. I hope I see her in the End.

blp
10-20-2005, 12:21 PM
'I shore am gonna miss you', said Huck, 'You set on goin'?' 'I gots me another job', Jim replied, 'Fella named Kurtz. It's river work, same as dis. I don't speck it to be much different from what I know.'

PistisSophia
10-23-2005, 02:54 PM
He said that I was nothing but a trollop who was full of cheap theatrics. He said that I was a drama queen extraordinaire. I walked out the door, leaving this mad dog to froth in the corner, all by himself, that mad dog that he is. And, give him a bottle of Tullamore Dew to find peace with, but not me.

Nightshade
10-23-2005, 06:01 PM
It grows like a storm. THe bubbling boiling anger. One minute its fine and the next BANG Youve lost it. This is the only explanation I have for waking up covered in blood.

blp
10-25-2005, 11:19 AM
this one's dead on fifty:

I remembered her troubled look, how sexy it seemed. Since then I’ve come to agree with sex, I mean (silly billy) Freud: everything is about sex; ergo troubled means trouble. ‘Call me’, she said as I left and I lied that I would. That troubled look again. Not so sexy.

el01ks
10-25-2005, 11:43 AM
The first thing her parents saw when they forced open Sara's room was a misshapen, bloody coathanger. Staining the carpet and the rug from holiday. She was in the corner, curled up in a ball with tearstains on her now frozen face. How could they bear the shame?

starrwriter
10-25-2005, 07:05 PM
I arrived twenty minutes late for our rendezvous at a seaside park near the old hotel. Allison forgave me sweetly with a kiss. I fell into a trance gazing at the image of the sunset reflected in her hazel eyes as she spoke. I felt exquisitely lost in her words.

Darlin
10-27-2005, 06:50 PM
They get off the plane stunned and dazed, slot machines gleaming, following the crowd through the doors and out into the brisk or heated air. Rows and rows of people and like lemmings they join the multitude waiting for me, taxi driver and gate keeper to hell or rather Vegas.

RusSpencer
10-28-2005, 11:31 AM
Ambrose Bierce is echoing a theme of "Fahrenheit 451." Society had become obsessed with sound for the mere sake of sound. Television and "seashell radios" had taken over the brains of society, and few could remember when people read books. Making music rather then listening to it means that one's mind is in control. Society used its own carefully selected music to control the minds of the people. The only purpose of firemen in Fahrenheit 451 was to set fires (fireproofing had long ago rendered firemen obsolete for their original purpose), not extinguish them--fires that burned homes and their occupants who illegally possessed books--outlawed half a century earlier by a despotic society that saw them as a threat to law and order.

In today's society we have a similar situation; however, we do not suffer from a lack of books, but a surfeit of them--books published mostly by the big corporate publishers who can make any one of them a "best seller" simply by declaring it to be such and then investing the money to market it and make the "best seller" label self-fulfilling. Books by the major corporations are mostly politically correct, and do not broach such subjects as illegal immigration (except from a politically correct, i.e., advocating an open borders viewpoint), in contrast with my The Naked Twilight. I am referring, of course, to literary works of fiction that make social statements, not nonfiction, such as Michelle Malkin's --a book based solely on research (with no empirical knowledge of her subject), Invasion. Writers, going all the way back to Chaucer, followed by Cervantes, Shakespeare and in more recent years, Hesse, Camus and Sartre have proved that philosophical questions can best be imparted by "showing" in a good fictional story, rather than by being "told" in a nonfiction book that is often simply based on copied and pasted URLs in these days and times.

In Bradbury's novel, Fahrenheit 451, note:

"...Now let's take up the minorities in our civilization, shall we? Bigger the population, the more minorities. Don't step on the toes of the dog lovers, the cat lovers, doctors, lawyers, merchants, chiefs, Mormons, Baptists, Unitarians, second-generation Chinese, Swedes, Italians, Germans, Texans, Brooklynites, Irishmen, people from Oregon or Mexico...Authors full of evil thoughts, lock up your typewriters...the public knowing what it wanted, spinning happily, let the comic books survive...you are allowed to read the comics, the good old confessions, or trade journals..."
(Page 57-58 of the 50th Anniversary Edition paperback.)

On October 20, a week ago, the Associated Press published an article titled Authors, now publishers, sue Google over scanning plans. The Writer's Guild (about 8,000 writers) joined the major publishers in suing Google for its plans to scan and index books for the Internet. They are very worried about authors (like myself) who make their works available for a very low price and would allow Google to publish excerpts along with the indexes. It's all about monopoly and control--yes, even mind control by the globalists, like Rupert Murdoch, and others who own the major publishing companies. His "Da Vinci Code" is the most daring work to come out of Harper-Collins in a long time, but it does not really explore any new perspectives on Christianity that hasn't already been explored eons ago.

I became jaded as a writer about thirty years ago and only recently became rejuvenated by "print-on-demand" publishing. Digitalized manuscripts and laser printed books are every bit as good in quality as the conventional-published ones. They are indeed a threat to the establishment's control of the written word. It is just another kind of censorship, if they manage to suppress Google and their fairness to writers like me who dare deviate from the status quo.

blp
10-28-2005, 03:34 PM
Whatever the rights or wrongs of your opinion, RusSpencer, you're in the wrong thread. This one's for short stories of fifty words or less. You might want to start a thread of your own.

Rachy
10-30-2005, 02:29 PM
My head hurt. It had been pounding for days. I couldn't figure out why it was, but I knew it was bad, I used to get this kind of pain when I was younger, when they had found a brain tumor, and then removed it...What was happening?

atiguhya padma
11-30-2005, 07:19 AM
He’d an unusual gift for foretelling deaths. Not whom, but when: exact date, approximate time. Like when Auntie May was run over by a bus; and cousin Gerald who drowned. Midsummer Day 3pm. Waiting for the news. Strange this chill and how the light is slowly fading, he thought.

Kyuyi
11-30-2005, 11:25 AM
Everyone hates Potty. Everyone calls him a monster. They sticked an 'Ugly Monster' note behind his back when the teacher isn't looking. They call him horrible names. Potty always comes to me and complained sadly to me. All those horrible names they called him are not true. Potty is a good friend, and kind. And i'm the only one who understands him. Why? Because I'm Potty's second head. :D

RobinHood3000
11-30-2005, 05:43 PM
Ollie stood in the wilderness, pondering just how he'd got there. A Rope Arrow took him to the forest canopy, where he looked around in awe of the landscape before him. Steal from the rich, give to the poor...time travel was fun.

Weeping Willow
12-12-2005, 08:27 AM
As darkness came, she brought with her all the fears.. they had so many colors.. red, grey, purple, pink.. and all that was left for me was to sit alone in the corner and hug my little black soul.

imaditzyreader
12-12-2005, 05:48 PM
They sat together on the subway. She turned to him and said, “I can’t stand this any longer.” He turned to her with a tear in his eye, "Honey, I just bought us to tickets to paradise." With that he took out his gun and shot them both. :(

Weeping Willow
12-13-2005, 04:29 PM
* The last thing i remember was falling down the stairs.
she looked at me and said, Hello are you ok?
I looked back and said, i guess, Who are you?
Oh i'm just here to take you.
Take my where?
I looked at her ankh and started to cry....

samercury
12-13-2005, 09:15 PM
The only thing she remembered was the bird. Tall, grey and yellow-eyed, it pecked the little fingers one after the other. It made her sick to witness this, but there was nothing she could do. She wished that it was just another nightmare that she could wake up from and never remember again.

samercury
12-17-2005, 07:39 PM
At times like this, she wished she could cut her overwhelming happiness into small pieces- like chocolate. Pack them up like Christmas presents, eat some of it and save the rest for the bad times- the times of extreme sadness that ended up as breakdowns. The times when she cried.

Riesa
12-20-2005, 08:02 PM
“Hey!” she yelled at the old man on the bike riding right past her bathroom window. He just kept on going as if he heard nothing that she said. With a catch of her breath she watched as he plowed straight into the bougainvillea, fell and lay prone on the ground.

Charles Darnay
12-20-2005, 09:43 PM
I came to know him as my friend. Together we explored the mind, peering into realities that cannot have previously been imagined. And we grew together, spending years together. And we returned to the world of community conversing in high spirits about the purity of life – and pitying the masses who call us mad!

starrwriter
12-20-2005, 10:16 PM
“Hey!” she yelled at the old man on the bike riding right past her bathroom window. He just kept on going as if he heard nothing that she said. With a catch of her breath she watched as he plowed straight into the bougainvillea, fell and lay prone on the ground.
That was mean, Riesa. And I don't ride bicycles.

Riesa
12-20-2005, 11:30 PM
how did you know, Doggy?

Riesa
12-21-2005, 08:13 PM
“The police are as likely to be able to deal with a dead man in my bougainvillea as anyone.” His skin stretched taut over his facial bones, and she saw that he once had been a handsome man. “What the hell was he doing on a BIKE? Crazy, most likely.”

Weeping Willow
12-22-2005, 03:51 PM
Time pased slowly by as i looked from my spot at the garden to see what was going on with the old man that had just rode his bicycle to the bougainvillea.
It was not a pretty sight.

Riesa
12-23-2005, 02:54 PM
I once went through a magic door. I didn’t realize how magic until I tried to come back. Absolutely everything was different. My blues were suddenly gray, and my pinks had turned orange. I must say, I went right back through and I haven't come back yet.

Virgil
12-23-2005, 04:14 PM
Charlie came to that magic door, but was afraid. He stuck his foot over the threshold, and felt nothing. He inched his body closer. He swallowed, then stuck his head through. As if the room were spun upside down, he was pulled in, tumbled around, and found himself on the floor.

Weeping Willow
12-23-2005, 04:18 PM
BLaCk and WhItE

Once they were all gone, no one was left but me.
And i knew deep inside me i had all of them as part of my being.
All exept him.

Whimsican
12-23-2005, 04:25 PM
A woman robed in an absinthe green was strolling down a cobblestone street
A gentleman in port red caught her eye, winking suggestivly.
"Do we not make such a pair?"
"Aye, fine sir, and as we walk we color the cheeks of the commonfolk."

Nightshade
12-23-2005, 04:58 PM
The snow was melting as the woman hurried through the streets. Had she to stop and reflect she might have thought it the color of sullied innocence. But she didnt so she didnt, rushing past another one of natures little treasures.

Virgil
12-26-2005, 12:49 AM
The snow was melting as the woman hurried through the streets. Had she to stop and reflect she might have thought it the color of sullied innocence. But she didnt so she didnt, rushing past another one of natures little treasures.

She had to get her Christmas shopping done. She rushed over to the department store, feet splashing and kicking slush. Up the escalator she she went to the men's clothing section. She picked a tie with snow flakes falling and thought, "Gee art reflects reality."

samercury
12-27-2005, 06:04 PM
Crossing the street like he does every day. Going out to meet his friends. Just had an argument with his mom, but there’s nothing that can’t be fixed, right? Walking on the crosswalk, when all of a sudden, his world comes to an end. Splat, goodbye, see you mom, see you dad.

Transuranic
12-27-2005, 09:12 PM
I type like a maniac, so it created no small irritation when my space bar began to intermittently fail. A stupid, inert key. There’snotmuchyoucandowithoutspaces. I finally shipped my computer back to the manufacturer, and I got it back out today. I am happy to report that everything seems to be

Nightshade
12-28-2005, 03:44 AM
She had to get her Christmas shopping done. She rushed over to the department store, feet splashing and kicking slush. Up the escalator she she went to the men's clothing section. She picked a tie with snow flakes falling and thought, "Gee art reflects reality."
suprisingly close to the original ending of my little story :D

lavendar1
12-28-2005, 12:02 PM
She was an annoyance -- like the uneven fingernail that had unexpectedly scratched his face yesterday, leaving a mark to mock him every time he looked in a mirror. Still, fingernails could be clipped and their collateral damages would soon fade. His face unfolded into a smile at the thought.

Riesa
12-29-2005, 11:32 AM
Their mother's blatant preference for his brother had caused unbearable envy to fester since childhood. How he had hated! With a force that had carried him far in life. Now holding his overdosed brother at the end of his life, he thought how a mother's misguided love could ruin. A child so spoiled, becomes excessive. And the envy fell away, and he loved him.

samercury
12-29-2005, 07:29 PM
They said that when you're dying, you see your entire life passing through your mind. They were wrong, the only thing she saw was the purple balloon that she had been chasing just a few minutes ago. As she fell, she only had one thought left: Why was it running away from her? Then, she laid, dead.

Virgil
12-29-2005, 08:33 PM
suprisingly close to the original ending of my little story :D

I had started from the ending of your story. Mine was a continuation. ;)

Virgil
12-29-2005, 08:39 PM
They said that when you're dying, you see your entire life passing through your mind. They were wrong, the only thing she saw was the purple balloon that she had been chasing just a few minutes ago. As she fell, she only had one thought left: Why was it running away from her? Then, she laid, dead.

Morbid again? How about I continue from your ending? Here goes...

The policeman who found her body remarked that her face had gone purple before she died, the same color as the balloon. He picked up the balloon and put it beside her face and observed that the face was of a darker shade than the balloon. He opened her mouth, stuck his index finger to the back of her throat, and found she had choked on a plastic toy egg. "Tut, tut," he sighed.

samercury
12-30-2005, 12:19 AM
Virgil,that wasn't morbid

Virgil
12-30-2005, 12:23 AM
Virgil,that wasn't morbid

Well you had her die, and all she was doing was chasing a purple balloon.
I'm only teasing. I've come to the point with you, that if it could possibly be seen as morbid, I'm going to say so. Only poking fun. :brow:

aequitas
12-30-2005, 12:33 AM
He accidentally bites my lip when the phone rings again. She's drunk and afraid he doesn't love her anymore.

"I have to go. I'll call you tomorrow."

I say okay (it isn't).

His hand grabs the wall, trying to stay inside as he leaves, but he's already out the door.

Nightshade
12-30-2005, 04:24 AM
I had started from the ending of your story. Mine was a continuation. ;)
No I was thinking about that story when I originally made it up to amuse my sisters when I was 8, well to amuse me too.
I changed it alot for here but it still reminds me of that old one :D

lavendar1
12-30-2005, 10:05 AM
Stop looking at me.
I'm not looking at you.
I know your type -- ogling women in public places. You ought to be ashamed.
Are you nuts? When was the last time you looked in the mirror?

He exited at the next stop and went to confession.
Later, she bought a new mirror.

lavendar1
12-30-2005, 10:18 AM
Can I write two? I'm in a writing mood...

Errors would be made, of course. But it was the hunt that signified, he knew. In the heart of every man, of every woman, there was a lust, that when indulged, destroyed. And if he could correctly calculate it and then generously offer it to each unsuspecting soul -- eventually...bullseye!

RobinHood3000
12-30-2005, 10:19 AM
The superheroes sat in their abandoned warehouse, sparring in the combat training center with unmitigated fury. A klaxon suddenly went off—one warrior rushed to the command center, nodded to his partners. A car, a plane, and a jetpack rocketed out of the building. Destination: downtown.

samercury
12-30-2005, 01:16 PM
Well you had her die, and all she was doing was chasing a purple balloon.
I'm only teasing. I've come to the point with you, that if it could possibly be seen as morbid, I'm going to say so. Only poking fun. :brow:
:p

She was in a hole, a deep one. She couldn't breathe, couldn't see. It felt as if she were under water. No one was there…
"Where?" she heard a voice. She wanted out, wanted to go back home and take back what she had said. She couldn't...
"I'm sorry mom, sorry dad"

Virgil
12-30-2005, 01:44 PM
Sounds like the scene from Silence of the Lambs!

Weeping Willow
12-30-2005, 05:25 PM
The superheroes sat in their abandoned warehouse, sparring in the combat training center with unmitigated fury. A klaxon suddenly went off—one warrior rushed to the command center, nodded to his partners. A car, a plane, and a jetpack rocketed out of the building. Destination: downtown.

:).. feels like a chapter from the Watchman...

RobinHood3000
12-30-2005, 06:35 PM
"Watchman?" Elucidation, please!

Weeping Willow
12-30-2005, 06:45 PM
It is a comics. talking about super heroes...

taken from Amazon.com
Has any comic been as acclaimed as Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons' Watchmen? Possibly only Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns, but Watchmen remains the critics' favorite. Why? Because Moore is a better writer, and Watchmen a more complex and dark and literate creation than Miller's fantastic, subversive take on the Batman myth. Moore, renowned for many other of the genre's finest creations (Saga of the Swamp Thing, V for Vendetta, and From Hell, with Eddie Campbell) first put out Watchmen in 12 issues for DC in 1986-87. It won a comic award at the time (the 1987 Jack Kirby Comics Industry Awards for Best Writer/Artist combination) and has continued to gather praise since.

The story concerns a group called the Crimebusters and a plot to kill and discredit them. Moore's characterization is as sophisticated as any novel's. Importantly the costumes do not get in the way of the storytelling; rather they allow Moore to investigate issues of power and control--indeed it was Watchmen, and to a lesser extent Dark Knight, that propelled the comic genre forward, making "adult" comics a reality. The artwork of Gibbons (best known for 2000AD's Rogue Trooper and DC's Green Lantern) is very fine too, echoing Moore's paranoid mood perfectly throughout. Packed with symbolism, some of the overlying themes (arms control, nuclear threat, vigilantes) have dated but the intelligent social and political commentary, the structure of the story itself, its intertextuality (chapters appended with excerpts from other "works" and "studies" on Moore's characters, or with excerpts from another comic book being read by a child within the story), the finepace of the writing and its humanity mean that Watchmen more than stands up--it keeps its crown as the best the genre has yet produced. --Mark Thwaite

Oh...
I think it is one of the best i ever read..

RobinHood3000
12-30-2005, 06:48 PM
Okay, that's what I thought, I wasn't sure. I only read one brief anecdote from the Watchmen, and that was because Green Arrow's mug on the cover caught my eye in the library.

Thanks for the kind comparison--incidentally, the three characters in that brief little snippet are intended to be a focus for a graphic novel I'm planning :D.

Weeping Willow
12-30-2005, 06:52 PM
No problam.... you should look for it if you have the time.

Oh cool.... i tried so many times to draw comics.. but my drawing skills aint that good..
any how good luck.. i'll hope i'll have the chance to read it. :)

RobinHood3000
12-30-2005, 06:57 PM
Hehe--I'm not very good at drawing either, though when I started work on it, I tried. After two covers and 2 and a half pages, I restricted myself to just writing the comics rather than trying to do the inking/shading/pencilling myself. Borrowed a book by Dennis O'Neil from the library on writing comics to get myself started.

Weeping Willow
12-30-2005, 06:59 PM
cool...
sound interstaing.. i have one on drawing by an Israely comics .. maker.. but it aint that good,,,

Anon22
12-30-2005, 08:27 PM
Sounds interesting... though... comics never really caught my eye. I prefer books and writing normally. I always set aside what I write(which is not a lot) from what I draw(which is also not a lot). Anyhow... I have already posted my short story in another thread. Turned out to be longer than I expected.

samercury
01-08-2006, 05:07 PM
She's sitting in a corner, crying. She has never been this scared in her life. She could remember her mother saying that crying was never the solution, but she didn't know what else to do. Suddenly, she heard the voice, calling out to her again. Her nightmare was becoming real.

lavendar1
01-08-2006, 07:52 PM
An angel held the wish cards before me.

"Pick three." (luminously)

All I could think of was a nursery rhyme:

One for my master
One for my dame
One for the little boy who lives down the lane.

"These three." (intuitively)

The angel vanished, leaving...money, love, life - forever.

Riesa
01-10-2006, 12:47 AM
Snoring, snoring, until the morning
.....p
...U

......D
........O
.........W
...........N

.....P
...U
with every breath, she must turn the volume up on Dateline. Why must it be so? What kind of God would create snoring? I believe it is to torture the awaker sex. Note to self: buy ear foam.

Bluebiird
01-10-2006, 06:33 AM
50 words exactly.

And then, to her surprise, the alligator egg hatched. But the baby wasn’t an alligator. It unfolded a pair of tiny wings and looked at her, coughing a spark that set her sleeve on fire. Putting the flame out, she realised that this was no alligator. It was a dragon

lavendar1
01-14-2006, 03:12 PM
"Knowledge," he said (strategically raising an eyebrow) -- "wasn't that what Adam and Eve pursued and obtained in the Garden of Eden?"

"You fool," she said (looking down on him), "there is no Adam and Eve, no Garden of Eden. They're figurative, not literal."

"What of knowledge, then?"

"I don't know."

lavendar1
01-21-2006, 10:01 AM
Having finally put away the holiday decorations, he sat in the room that seemed suddenly cold. Ghosts of seasons past then passed before him. Next year would be different, he decided -- less sparkle, more substance. He'd light more candles.

The door squeaked angrily at him when he closed it.

Riesa
01-21-2006, 11:22 PM
Saturday, seated on a pine bench, I am silent, listening. Wind, birds, children.
They play at playing. The structure: primary colored plastic; for them an entire world.
Tiny voices, “you want to go down the blue slide?”
Quiet, friendly, she speaks. Gently instructing the younger in the art of playing.

Basil
01-22-2006, 05:19 AM
The old dog watched the young man from the corner of the room. The man rushed out of the apartment without looking at the dog. The dog sighed and wearily laid down. He watched the door, awaiting the man’s return.

Later, the man returned. He was greeted by silence.

samercury
01-22-2006, 07:02 PM
He wasn’t invited. The rat and all the animals of the forest were invited, but did anyone even think that a bird should be there? Who else sang to them morning and made their day happy? If that’s how much birds were worth to HIM, maybe they would just pack up and leave this cursed forest.

Xamonas Chegwe
01-23-2006, 10:04 AM
I was duplicated last night. I think it was a criminal gang. Maybe Russians. Anyway, there's two of me now. And he's got my certificate of authenticity. I'm hiding in the backstreets and alleys. But it's really only a matter of time before...

Riesa
01-30-2006, 03:02 PM
Poised on a precipice, the hurt offer up one last prayer; to and for what they don't know. Perhaps one prayerful act might soothe the ache that drives them mad. Or maybe the longing for one last drop of water, one soulful song to bring them life. I don’t know.

rachel
01-30-2006, 09:33 PM
The Faerie princess wearily slid off her bedraggled sweating pony. Lips parched, desperately hungry and fatigued. She felt imprisoned in her grimey gown, her body unbathed since yesterday.She would not give in to the enemy.
"You're good at role playing games" said her father.
"Thanks she said smiling.

lavendar1
01-31-2006, 11:36 PM
Some creative non-fiction:

Those leaves danced across the road like New Yorkers in a crosswalk at lunchtime. He'd be waiting for her at home and they'd do their own dancing. She tapped her feet on the floor of the car. Oh no! Her shoes!

Then...car connected with cat. How sad is that?

water lily
02-02-2006, 03:03 PM
Jamestown Williams never mentioned the second syllable of his first name, and if someone else did in his presence, they were liable to receive a frigidity of manner from him that would never dissipate. Katerina made that mistake. Then she fell in love with him. Unfortunate things like that happen a lot hereabouts.

Unspar
02-02-2006, 05:41 PM
"She was fu--" but a punch to the face shut him up. Laid him out on the pavement. Blood dripped out his nostril, and probably some out his head too.
"Don't talk 'bout my sistah," I said. Don't think he heard me, but that don't matter. Ain't much I could'a done about it.

Scheherazade
02-02-2006, 10:43 PM
‘One phone call… That is all it takes’, she thought. ‘One phone call and you are human again.’ Vulnerable and helpless, she let the phone fall on the sofa where she had been sitting until the phone rang to remind her that they were, after all, mortals.

Wirhe
02-03-2006, 01:02 PM
It was carnival in Venice and everyone had on masks of demons. Two people dressed as demons, a man and a woman, met and decided to go home together. There the man took off his mask.
“Now you,” he said.
So the woman takes off her pants.

:brow:

Xamonas Chegwe
02-03-2006, 02:59 PM
“You’re barking up the wrong tree, you know?” a voice behind.
Turning, I saw an old woman, hair bunned, “Do I know you?”
She grinned, toothlessly, and spat into the road. “There!” - emphatically. Where her spittle landed was a key.
I left it where it was. She was too weird.

XC

Scheherazade
02-03-2006, 10:31 PM
She glanced in the mirror: Lipstick, hair, a deep breath and a smile. She opened the door and got out, pushed her shoulders back. As she locked the car’s door, she forbade her eyes to glance towards the back. Looking only ahead, she walked through the shards of glass, each step taunting: ‘Female driiiiiivvveeeeerrrr!’

Xamonas Chegwe
02-03-2006, 10:51 PM
“Did you?”
“Not yet.”
“But you will?”
“I will.”
“You’re sure?
“I said I will.”
“But will you really?”
“I will.”
“When will you?”
“When you stop asking stupid questions.”
….
….
….
….
….
“I stopped and you still haven’t.”
“That’s because you started again!”
“Please!”
“Oh shut up!”

XC

lavendar1
02-03-2006, 11:23 PM
Doleful, don't you go! I rather like your gray wrapping round me today, a suit of soft muslin sighs borne from the lies of one who claimed to be true
(no, not you!).

Doleful, stay! It's cold and I'm scared (feelings need to be shared) ...
wrap warm round me today.

Scorpion
02-04-2006, 05:26 AM
It's raining...
'Please buy one, Sir!', the little boy implores the man, trying to keep his newspapers dry.
'Go away!'
'Please, Sir!' the boy holds the man's shirt.
'Your hand dirties my shirt', the man shouts at the boy and throws his newspapers away. It keeps raining...

Xamonas Chegwe
02-04-2006, 11:23 AM
I’ve never known anyone with hair like hers. It is haphazard in a way that makes me want to take a comb to her head. At the same time, it is such a part of who she is that I wouldn’t change a strand.

Her parting is such sweet sorrow.

XC

Riesa
02-04-2006, 11:43 AM
In this little box of hers, she rarely takes the time to peer over the sides. When she does, invariably the box wilts from the weight and dumps her out on the cold, cold ground. Occasionally the sides are too high for her to scrabble back over; and she's stuck outside, cowering and shivering..

rachel
02-04-2006, 12:58 PM
The woman gazed at the chubby baby in her pram. "Poor little bag of pudding, helpless and knowing nothing of the world" she thought as she straightened out her newspaper and looked over to see if the bus was coming."Poor ugly woman, all alone"cooed baby to her mama.

atiguhya padma
02-06-2006, 08:58 AM
The truth is in here somewhere. Past all the bone, blood, flesh, tissue. Ah…. Here it is. Pulsating. End of debate. They said mother was heartless. This, here, proves them wrong.

How soft it is, like a little babe, cradled in my arms. Why did she never give me love?

amuse
02-06-2006, 01:15 PM
"would you kindly show me the way to zero," asked the butterfly of the lily. but she was snoring and didn't answer, so he followed the Z's up the morning mist and saw where they broke into dreams, then slid down their spiral into the beginning of all endings.

lavendar1
02-11-2006, 10:27 AM
No one was on the road that night as she drove into the snowstorm feeling like she was in a Star Trek episode and the Enterprise was traveling at warp speed, so that when she broke on through to the other side she didn't need to worry about parking spaces.

lavendar1
02-11-2006, 10:37 AM
Goz rapt rownd the werld (sad plase!), and all on it cudent se rit.

Someone said: "Peel it! Lift it!"

All the hands razd hi, pooshd hard, an pokd hols into heven.

"Now wut?" thay askd.

Someone sighed.

blp
02-11-2006, 03:24 PM
She was different from the other runway models in that she had hair and teeth, but none of the other normal features of a head. Her 'Seaweed Diet' book was doing hot business at the time and it was her moment, but she kept falling and spraining the same ankle.

blp
02-11-2006, 03:35 PM
The rent was cheap because the son of the previous tenants had murdered them there, then hung himself. In one of the cupboards we found the mother's sketchbook - a series of identical drawings of a gas fired heater.

atiguhya padma
02-13-2006, 01:35 PM
Spends hours in the shower. Does yours do that? – Yeah. Think there all the same. The time they take to do their hair! – And I hate the way he stereotypes all us women. – Yeah I know what you mean, mine’s like that. They all treat us like possessions

Xamonas Chegwe
02-13-2006, 03:23 PM
“We’ll keep it up till you tell us how you regenerate!” He smashed his baton into the creature’s face, watching as it reformed instantly.

The Xorx siphoned off another delightful draught of the man’s hatred, fear and anger, converting it to energy and readying itself for the next delicious blow.

XC

Riesa
02-17-2006, 01:02 AM
Hollow tree, your empty echo, honeybees buzzing, throbbing earth beneath my feet;
the whine as the saw blade descends; I would breathe life into your veins, return your fiery gifts. Hollow tree, so unaware, undone. Days later, the smell of campfire smoke in my sweater reminds me of you.

smilesad
02-17-2006, 06:22 AM
I said goodbye to all of my neighbors, my parents and family, my friends and foes alike. I set off for an adventure, to explore the unexplorable. In doubt I stand at the fringe of my hometown, my heart is filled with awe and fright, for I must return because I forgot my favourite pair of socks.

blp
02-17-2006, 08:02 AM
He swallowed it without thinking suddenly and immediately felt it wriggling around in his stomach. Several hours later, she came in and found him sitting in the dark, the only sound a peculiarly high-pitched gurgling. 'I think I may have done something a bit stupid', he said.

atiguhya padma
02-17-2006, 08:07 AM
Two days gone. I want to blame him, but wasn’t there. Dementia means I cannot blame him now for something he cannot identify with. But at the time, wasn’t he responsible? Enhanced libido was not an excuse. Short term memory loss is his excuse now. Still want to blame him.

atiguhya padma
02-17-2006, 08:26 AM
I heard about death today. It came at a speed in excess of 30mph. It whisked a life away. No time to say farewell. Now that other half is no more. I cannot imagine how you must feel. You both came from singularity. Now one of you is gone.

blp
02-17-2006, 12:00 PM
Smitten at last with synaesthesia, she went to North Africa to see new languages and smell the greens and pinks of sheets hung out beside dry sounding plaster walls. One morning she tasted Rimbaud's ghost, a multitude of sweet, hot, acrid flavours with the sad texture of alphabet soup.

Unspar
02-17-2006, 12:04 PM
"I'm gonna build a really tall statue. A monument."
"Why?"
"Why not?"
"Because you're not an architect. Because you're broke. Because nobody cares."
"Shut up. It's my lifelong dream."
"I bet you just made it up now."
"So what if I did?"
"You're an idiot."
"It's gonna be Bob Saget."

blp
02-17-2006, 12:07 PM
Nice. Who's Bob Saget?

blp
02-17-2006, 12:42 PM
scratch that. I googled it.

Xamonas Chegwe
02-18-2006, 09:11 AM
“I never saw you do that before.”
“Really? I do it all the time.”
“Funny.”
“Funny?”
“Yes. Two years and that’s the first time I noticed it.”

He looked at her, seeing her in a new light; somehow increased by being stripped of another layer. People are such strange onions.

atiguhya padma
02-20-2006, 01:07 PM
The librarian picked it from its hiding place. "This is the one for you" she said. "But I didn't order it." I replied. "Of course not". She smiled strangely. "These things are always ordered for us. Its in your fingertips, your eyes. There’s no escaping the book destined for you”.

Xamonas Chegwe
02-20-2006, 02:55 PM
Extending his universal communication tendrils, Quorf addressed the Earthling in the traditional manner, "We come in peace. Take me to your leader." He was buzzing with anticipation; this was his first contact mission. The Earthling opened it's mouth, "Here it comes." he thought.

"Funny tasting bug." thought the chameleon, swallowing.

samercury
02-20-2006, 06:49 PM
"Funny thing happened to me the other day"
"Really? What?"
No answer.
"Funny thing happened"
"Yeah? What happened"
"Funny thing" The voice laughed
"Are you okay?"
"Hehe. Funny"
"Hehehe"
It was then then that I realized something: I was talking to myself.

rachel
02-20-2006, 07:35 PM
Xamonas that was horrible! :D
baby Same, that was hilarious. :lol:

The dust of cars and the city bus settled on the tiny flower hidden under weeds under the bench.
The man, angry, mumbling, stormed along,glanced down.
He backed up, looked surprised, and bending wiped the dust from the flower. Rising he blinked back tears. So did the flower.

aquamarineNYC
02-20-2006, 08:23 PM
Smitten at last with synaesthesia, she went to North Africa to see new languages and smell the greens and pinks of sheets hung out beside dry sounding plaster walls. One morning she tasted Rimbaud's ghost, a multitude of sweet, hot, acrid flavours with the sad texture of alphabet soup.

Wow blp, LOVED your story. Way cool!

blp
02-22-2006, 02:35 PM
Wow blp, LOVED your story. Way cool!

I'm really glad. I was pleased with that one myself (though now I think, if only it had had the word acquamarine in it... Oh well, maybe next time).

samercury
02-25-2006, 01:32 PM
"I asked him for advice yesterday"
"What did he say?"
"Told me to go to an anger management class"
"Really?"
"Asked him for advice and all he said was.... Can you believe it?"
"But you don't need anger management"
"You've got that right. I can manage my anger perfectly well thank you very much."

atiguhya padma
02-27-2006, 01:39 PM
A hand like an extended spider web. Engulfing the world. She smiles in perfect harmony. Everything seems understandable, all her troubles swept into a heap of reason, life become meaningful. His big blue eyes survey his food source. She tickles his palm, and he claws, clutching air, expelling nothingness.

lavendar1
02-28-2006, 04:40 PM
After a brief hiatus as a hedonist, she deluded herself with the notion that losing the self was no longer singularly significant, and became divine. Eversmooth, everready, and as fluid as Schwarzeneger's Predator, she revealed her mystical side in proper circles, until someone discovered she'd once cleaned confessionals.

blp
03-09-2006, 12:16 PM
Overheard on a train: 'The man who ran me over came to see me in the hospital. And he brought me some comics!'

aquamarineNYC
03-10-2006, 01:57 AM
In the taxi she said, “We're going out to Utopia Parkway, Queens to meet a famous artist, his name is Joseph. He likes quiche Lorraine and little girls. So behave.” We walked into the gloomy house and I glanced over at a glass case with a life-sized porcelain doll.

rachel
03-10-2006, 11:41 PM
Saturday was the day she loved best.He was coming.Handsome, tall, dreamy blue eyes that promised something rare and memorable in the short time they had together.Her prince charming. The limo pulled up and she raced down the steps into his arms."Papa" she murmurred."Papa"

blp
03-11-2006, 01:06 PM
After I died, the main change was to time and space. Suddenly it was all quick cuts, no fixed viewpoint and all the boring bits left out; like a Hollywood film. After a day of this, I realised I was in Hell.

lavendar1
03-12-2006, 12:23 PM
P.S.

I'm unable to store those drums you left in the walk-in any longer. Arrange to remove them ASAP. Mother's coming to visit and plans to bring her calligraphic accoutrements (such belles lettres!).

Be assured that the thrill of your banging will forever remain deep in my memory.

Fondly --

blp
03-12-2006, 12:39 PM
P.S.

I'm unable to store those drums you left in the walk-in any longer. Arrange to remove them ASAP. Mother's coming to visit and plans to bring her calligraphic accoutrements (such belles lettres!).

Be assured that the thrill of your banging will forever remain deep in my memory.

Fondly --

lol! Funny!

samercury
03-12-2006, 08:40 PM
Shocked silence. Not one word spoken. Quiet.
He turns around, blissful smile on his face, expecting his new variation to be praised.
"What have you done to it?"
Confused, he asks: "To what?"
"The song! What have you done to it?"

Danny1957
03-12-2006, 08:51 PM
They knew each other from somewhere but it was different now as they shared their greetings while the wind blew their words beyond their yesterday into today and through tomorrow for ever. Amen. Awomen.

samercury
03-12-2006, 10:02 PM
Words. Words. So many of them, jumbling in her head. Why are they making so much noise? Why can't they let her be? Trying to listen to them all at once gave her a headache. Oh well, she already knew what they were saying because that’s what they said every day... Only one way to stop them.

Xamonas Chegwe
03-13-2006, 12:42 PM
Too much advice. Too many advisors. Too much pushing, in too many directions. I feel like a small twig afloat in the confluence of many great rivers, unable to influence the conflicting currents; currents which are dragging me under. Sometimes I just want to go quietly, politely, Englishly mad.

lavendar1
03-17-2006, 09:02 AM
Chorus:

Do we fret over these suite words?
Yes! And No! It shouldn't be so!
Remember when it flowed seamlessfromthesoul
Before we got cot up in the rhythm and rhyme and rite and rong of writing?

"Unscrew the locks from the doors!"

Free us again. And at last.

blp
03-17-2006, 04:07 PM
I decided to make Mary say something else. 'Say foot', I said. She said, 'foot' - with a rasp in her voice.

Charles Darnay
03-17-2006, 04:16 PM
I once found a hole, a most extraordinary hole. It had a diamiter of 50cm and it was 3 feet deep. In it was 4 twigs and 12 leaves - it was a most extraoderinary hole.

jackyyyy
03-17-2006, 04:24 PM
Message, clearly for all to read, red ink and bold on one part, "go now!".

Readied to the task, Commander raises and twenty angels are dispatched. "Too late!", cries crew to tower, turning ship to the Sun, their heads look away and some to home. One angel slips silently away...

chmpman
03-17-2006, 05:24 PM
The sound of an alarm clock tuned to a popular station carried with it a familiar semblance of his dream, in fact the words uttered by the radio personalities were an exact reproduction of a dream element. The great mystery left unsolved in his time spent asleep was thus manifested in waking life. (this happened to me this moring, sort of creeped me out)

rachel
03-17-2006, 07:54 PM
As she was carried along in the undulating crowd she stopped short.Turning,she slowly searched the faces passing by looking for the eyes of the one she loved.The presence faded away and with broken heart she turned and stumbled on, wondering what he looked like.

jackyyyy
03-17-2006, 08:11 PM
She woundn't say no, even if he wasn't in the room. He pushed the piano lid up and banged! Looking around her space, there was no reason she could think of to look at that clock anymore.

Xamonas Chegwe
03-17-2006, 09:12 PM
They say you can’t deal with Death. I did.

“Keep her alive!”

“WHY?”

“You want a death, I’ll give you one!”

“AND I’LL WANT ONE TOMORROW.”

“OK, every day!”

“OK. IT’S A DEAL.”

22 days, 22 bodies. You needn’t fear the reaper darling; at least, not until I’m caught.

blp
03-20-2006, 08:49 PM
Ten years ago, we were just a group of kooky kids with what seemed like it might be a pretty good idea for a website. Who would have thought that in that short time we could have become such a bunch of coked out, toxic buffoons?

tn2743
03-21-2006, 10:52 PM
Long ago, in a secluded forest, there lived a lonely man in a small house. Everyday of his life, he woke at dawn, toiled until dusk, ate, played his flute until midnight, and slept. He died at midnight on a rainy day, after playing a beautiful tune on his flute.

Riesa
03-21-2006, 11:04 PM
Lavender blooms on Mountain Laurel, brown eggs in straw or scrambled on a plate, a cap gun with caps, a book worth your time, beer in the fridge, days on the lake, death of futile desires, camping, good dogs, mischievous cats, Caribbean beaches, snorkeling, spearing lobster. This is good fortune.

blp
03-22-2006, 08:21 PM
I suspected an ineffable crisis in Magda, as if she was suppressing some murderous violence. She tried to force her cutlet on me, swooned vaporishly about some ceramics she’d seen and nodded earnestly at all my jokes. When the waiter told me my card had been refused, I kicked him.

Mililalil XXIV
03-23-2006, 03:52 AM
I never did - and I never would have - but it had long been a thought. My stored up fantasy dried up in the far-off desert, and here I pursue my truer Romance in the city.

lavendar1
03-24-2006, 08:34 PM
She vomited words that sickened everyone but her. Still, she wouldn't stop her quasipoetics. Their "Gawd!" became her "Cod...isn't that some sort of fish? Haha!"

A road sign finally stopped her: Alive Again Taxidermy. Fascination with resurrection delivered by taxi in both German and English left her speechless.

Xamonas Chegwe
03-24-2006, 08:56 PM
I picked up my first hitch-hiker on a Wednesday. I'm not sure why I remember the day of the week; I couldn't tell you the month and only hazard a 50/50 guess at the year. She was cute and grateful. I dropped her off just outside Grantham - nice town.

blp
03-24-2006, 10:13 PM
From late winter to summer of that year, they were in the meadows, looking for the remote. A late rainstorm washed the red spots off and when Bill came out in September he found them draped over each other, mossy, nude, drinking beer. ‘Say’, he said, 'what's the big idea?'

tn2743
03-25-2006, 07:31 PM
Today I went to court with a few friends. I watched five dudes get prosecuted for steeling beer. They were given small fines. One of my friends fell asleep.

Mililalil XXIV
03-26-2006, 01:54 AM
Rivitted to repulsive eyes in the littleness of that curious yet frightful age, I sought the thing I already was mapping my escape from. With an unexpected shift to where I had never been, I entered, but was caught. Worry not, but wonder as to what was my rescue.

Riesa
03-29-2006, 11:48 AM
Watching an ant make his way onto a shard of glass gave me the peculiar sensation of watching some so called hunters shooting deer from a blind. So I picked him up and dumped him in the river, broken glass and all. The sun was about to fry him anyway.

Mililalil XXIV
03-31-2006, 06:01 AM
Avoided I the gaze of all those others. I turned my back on them all, only to turn and see the one. I knew this one at once, and I saw my face reflected upon knowing pupils. As she watched through windows, a door opened for us to join up in one place.

Natalie K
03-31-2006, 12:14 PM
A chance meeting, lunch the following week, drinks the next, your arm latches onto mine, a mutual understanding. A year later my smile broadens on waking, I sing to the showerhead, eternal sun even on cloudy days, sumptuous love. Each day, I feel more than the last. Love’s powerful intoxication.

lavendar1
04-01-2006, 01:08 AM
All that was real she had to conceal. The burden reduced her, finally, to tears. Those dervish days intended to propel her into infinity had instead drained her, pained her into this.

It was a taste she didn't recognize - one she deserved - for her duplicity.

Time to go to work.