PDA

View Full Version : Help essay

zach9191
12-07-2008, 11:24 PM
Can you tell me the sin, and the kind of guilt that Hester, Dimmesdale, and Chillingworth have. Also if you could the broader effect of the sin, and how they deal with the guilt.

Currer Bell
02-06-2009, 01:49 AM
I read the Scarlet Letter a few years ago, so I can't be as thorough as I would like to be. However, I can help point out a few things.

Hester suffers her sin openly, that of adultery, and tries to lead as normal a life as possible even though she is being harassed and avoided by her peers.

Dimmesdale is the man of inner suffering. He is partner to Hester's crime, but does not admit it for fear of the consequences. He too, tries to lead a normal life, but fails because he has no way of cleansing his soul from guilt. He takes punishment in his own hands, accusing himself, and he is made no better for it.

Chillingworth, on the other hand, sins because he decides to punish others. He goes out of his way to make Dimmesdale and Hester miserable. He has the power to forgive (since he is Hester's husband), but decides to torment instead. His guilt comes later in the novel, only after he has carried out his revenge.

Hope this helps a little! :)

Wilde woman
02-06-2009, 04:49 AM
When you're discussing the broader effect of the sins of the three main characters, you could discuss the backlash from community. But Hawthorne also hints that the public is (quietly) sinful too, but their sin is doubled because they hypocritically turn against Hester.

Here's a website with a good discussion on the theme of "sin" in the Scarlet Letter. Also, check out the quotes on this theme in the "quotes" section:

http://www.shmoop.com/themes/literature/nathaniel-hawthorne/the-scarlet-letter.html