PDA

View Full Version : I want to read this so badly!

Dr. Hill
12-06-2008, 01:34 PM
I purchased this book a year or two ago and never got the chance to read it, but the more I see it sitting upon my shelf, the more I want to toss Moby Dick to the side and read The Brothers Karamazov! To aid my anticipation, who here thinks this book better than Crime and Punishment? as that is my favorite novel of all time, combating always with Dorian Gray.

mea505
12-06-2008, 11:43 PM
Would you like to read the novel, and initiate a discussion about it? This might help your determination to read it.

Dr. Hill
12-07-2008, 12:01 AM
I just feel like I have to finish Moby Dick first!

bazarov
12-07-2008, 06:33 AM
I do.

Dr. Hill
12-07-2008, 03:21 PM
You do what?

Etienne
12-07-2008, 03:58 PM
I just feel like I have to finish Moby Dick first!

Well finish Moby Dick then read the Brothers K, where's the problem?

johann cruyff
12-07-2008, 04:22 PM
You do what?

He thinks TBK is better than C&P, answering the question you asked. I agree, btw.

Anyway - surely, Moby Dick can't be that much of a bother? - as Etienne put it, just read the book and then move on to Dostoevsky.

Dr. Hill
12-07-2008, 05:04 PM
There isn't much of a problem, except that I fear I may be too wrapped up in what I've heard of Brother's Karamazov to enjoy Moby Dick for what IT'S worth. There isn't a real problem, it's all in my silly little impatient head :P

Dr. Hill
12-13-2008, 12:32 AM
I started it a few days ago and am falling in love!

WoodDraw
12-17-2008, 08:49 PM
I wouldn't say it's better than C&P, just different. I'm only a little over half way through C&P, but so far I've found the characters in TBK to have far more depth and interaction. A lot of the fun with TBK is watching each of the brothers interact and their ideas clash, both with each other and later themselves. A few of the chapters involving Ivan and Alyosha are some of the best ever written in literature.

That's not to put down C&P. It's a fine book, but The Brothers Karamazov is a masterpiece. Enjoy it, and read it slowly. I don't have the time to reread it fully, but if you want to post on a couple chapters or plot points, I'll join in.

rimbaud
02-02-2009, 01:05 AM
TBK is like all of Dostoevsky combine, and it's the best. It is one of those books that while reading it you close and think for a wile, and when something happen you get all jumpy :)
btw im thinking of reading Mobi Dick, I know it is a classic and it is a known book and it must be good
but you don't seem very enthusiastic...

wat??
02-27-2009, 02:44 AM
The Brothers Karamazov in my mind is quite a bit better than Crime and Punishment.

Edit: By the Way Bazarov, nice avatar

bazarov
02-27-2009, 12:58 PM
Thanks. Yours is also very nice.

Mathor
03-02-2009, 06:44 PM
The Brothers Karamazov is one of my favorite pieces of literature. I hope you enjoy when you finally get around to reading it. It makes your thoughts go in places it doesn't want to go. It's wonderful. A masterpiece.

blazeofglory
03-02-2009, 08:57 PM
The Brothers Karamazov is one of my favorite pieces of literature. I hope you enjoy when you finally get around to reading it. It makes your thoughts go in places it doesn't want to go. It's wonderful. A masterpiece.

Of course it can be a masterpiece looking at it from a particular lens. From another another books may come up.

Anyway Dostoevsky is really a great artist.