PDA

View Full Version : Pride and prejudice.

xxoliviasf17xx
12-06-2008, 10:02 AM
Hii.
Im doing an essay on pride and prejudice. The question i have to answer is:
How does Jane Austen present Mr and Mrs Bennet in the first part of the novel?
Ive done a bit alreadyy but im really stuck =\ if anyone can help ill be made up because i really cba.
tarr :thumbs_up
x x x

wessexgirl
12-06-2008, 11:48 AM
Hii.
Ive done a bit alreadyy but im really stuck =\ if anyone can help ill be made up because i really cba.
x x x

Does cba mean what I think - can't be a**ed? If so, you won't get very far.

JBI
12-06-2008, 12:32 PM
Hii.
x x x

Yeah, you cba, which according to this http://www.noslang.com/index.php means what Wessex girl thought, so why should we be? It is a little rude, telling us that you can't be bothered to do your homework, therefore others who have done their homework should give you your answer... Seriously, you'd get further without such a low regard for the time of other posters.

kiki1982
12-07-2008, 01:35 PM
Hii.
x x x

I can't understand to things here...
Firstly how you want us to help if inded you can't be a**ed and secondly why you are stuck. The question of that esay is very simple: read all the things with the two characters in it again, and there is your answer and don't be lazy. If it had been a deeper question, you could be stuck, but here I really don't see the point...

sciencefan
12-08-2008, 08:52 AM
Obviously, you've gotten off on the wrong foot here.
Having been entirely clueless and tactless in high school myself,
I can only feel pity and compassion for you,
and so I shall provide you enough information to set you in the right direction,
but you'll have to do the actual work yourself.

I think she presents them as being in an unhappy marriage, if that's what you're asking.
Then, you go through the book and give examples.
There's an online text of the book here that will help you find them faster.
http://www.online-literature.com/austen/prideprejudice/

Click on a chapter link,
use your browser's search feature to find the word Mrs. and if it's referring to Mrs. Bennet
read the context to see if it shows an example of how Mr. Bennet is unhappy in their marriage.

I don't reacall any place that shows Mrs. Bennet as unhappy... oh wait, maybe when she complains at him about how he likes to "vex" her. Yeah, I guess that counts. She complains like that a couple of times in the book, I think.

Austen gives some commentary on her parents' marriage, though Mr. Bennet himself doesn't say too much, but there's a little there.

Pay close attention to the places where they talk to each other, and find the places where they sort of complain at each other, in addition the the one major place where Austen describes how her parents met.

Boshra
12-08-2008, 10:59 AM
is there anyone here to help me on my project? its about a history of american literature???
and plz mail me bec i donno how to work on this site and im new.
my mail: [email protected]
thanx to all
bye