PDA

View Full Version : Crime and Punishment: Part III, Chapter Two

mea505
12-03-2008, 11:11 AM
In this chapter, we see that Razumikhin is rather ashamed and overcome with regret due to the things that he had told the others the night before (recall that he was drunk for most of the night, with the housewarming party). Although he initially claimed that he was attracted to Dunya, he renounces this notion as being literally absurd; however, he takes care to dress himself with extra care that morning, as he knows that he is about to visit the mother and the daughter, Pulcerhia and Dunya. And, although he made the comments the night before (recall that there were two comments), the mother and the daughter are actually glad to see him, in spite of what he said. He tells both of them that Raskolnikov is doing somewhat better that morning.

Later, during the conversation that he has with Dunya, Razumikhin cannot hide his feelings for her (this is directly opposed to his thoughts that the comment he made the night before was absurd). Both Dunya and Pulcheria show him a letter that was received from Luzhin, in which he requests that he not see Raskolnikov again. why? Luzhin also says (in the letter) that Raskolnikov donated a large portion of the money that was sent to him (from whom?) to the Marmeladov family. (Is this true?)

During the ensuing conversation, Dunya tells Razumikhin that Raskolnikov should meet with her fiance regardless of what Luzhin thinks or says -- and then the chapter closes with them all going to Raskolnikov's apartment.

bazarov
12-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Later, during the conversation that he has with Dunya, Razumikhin cannot hide his feelings for her (this is directly opposed to his thoughts that the comment he made the night before was absurd). Both Dunya and Pulcheria show him a letter that was received from Luzhin, in which he requests that he not see Raskolnikov again. why? Luzhin also says (in the letter) that Raskolnikov donated a large portion of the money that was sent to him (from whom?) to the Marmeladov family. (Is this true?)

Luzhin is offended by Rodya's actions toward him and he has some strange idea he have a right to ask that since he is her fiancee.
Yes, Razumihin gave money to Raskolnikov and he gave it to Marmeladov's for funeral and dinner after it.

mea505
12-03-2008, 01:17 PM
So, you don't mind these "little quizzes?"

bazarov
12-04-2008, 09:59 AM
If it makes you happy...

mea505
12-04-2008, 10:01 AM
I want to continue with them only if they are well-received by others. If not, then I will stop.

The Beard
12-16-2008, 05:44 PM
Both Dunya and Pulcheria show him a letter that was received from Luzhin, in which he requests that he not see Raskolnikov again. why?

If by 'he' you mean Luzhin, then I believe it is because his attempt to ingratiate himself with Raskolnikov was met with rejection and aversion... does he not threaten to throw Luzhin 'head over heels' down the stairs. Luzhin is a wealthy, upper-class man of much arrogance and pride. I reckon it is the latter, having been bruised, which causes him to write the letter insisting upon Raskolnikov's absence from the family gathering.

Luzhin also says (in the letter) that Raskolnikov donated a large portion of the money that was sent to him (from whom?) to the Marmeladov family. (Is this true?)

It was hardly a donation; more akin to a random act of compassion, caused by the witness of Marmeladov's death. Also, that isn't exactly what is said in the letter. Luzhin tries to win favour with Pulcheria and Dunya by insinuating Raskolnikov had given money to a person of dubious character (the prostitue Sonya).

Bazarov: Yes, Razumihin gave money to Raskolnikov and he gave it to Marmeladov's for funeral and dinner after it.

I was under the impression that the money was sent by Pulcheria to Raskolnikov, prior to her arrival in Petersburg. I seem to recall a passage in the novel where Luzhin questions Raskolnikov's giving away of money that was hard to obtain - indicating it was Pulcheria's pension money. Don't forget that Razoumikhin was a student and had little means as well. Even though he had a job as a translator, I don't believe he could afford to lend out 30 roubles.

The Beard
12-16-2008, 05:46 PM
Oh by the way, I like your little quizzes mea505... :)

They are forcing me to think about the novel and its multiple aspects. It is always good to learn more about what you read.

Keep it up.

mea505
12-18-2008, 05:45 AM
OK, I see one "YES" vote. Anyone else want to chime in? Do y'all want these quizzes to continue, yes or no?

And, by the way, state whether you have completed the novel. I don't want to go further than some others who might not have, and spoil the fun.

The Beard
12-19-2008, 05:30 PM
Well I don't know about everyone else, but I completed the novel a month or so ago. So bring on the questions :D

mea505
12-19-2008, 11:06 PM
I posted another question earlier today. After the holidays, i.e., Christmas, I will be more active, and post a lot more questions. If only Bazarov would come back!

bazarov
12-22-2008, 11:20 AM
I am here; I was reallllyyyy buuuuuuuuusy.

bazarov
12-22-2008, 11:23 AM
Bazarov: Yes, Razumihin gave money to Raskolnikov and he gave it to Marmeladov's for funeral and dinner after it.

I was under the impression that the money was sent by Pulcheria to Raskolnikov, prior to her arrival in Petersburg. I seem to recall a passage in the novel where Luzhin questions Raskolnikov's giving away of money that was hard to obtain - indicating it was Pulcheria's pension money. Don't forget that Razoumikhin was a student and had little means as well. Even though he had a job as a translator, I don't believe he could afford to lend out 30 roubles.

He got 100 rublyas from Razumihin for translations, right?