PDA

View Full Version : Crime and Punishment "What if?"

RowJimmy
12-02-2008, 01:07 PM
What do you guys think would have happened had Porfiry's "surprise" not been interrupted by Nikolai's confession? That is, if Raskolnikov had seen the man from the previous day who called him a murder behind the door?

mea505
12-02-2008, 01:25 PM
If that were true, Raskolnikov probably would not have confessed to the murders, at least not so soon. His problem(s) was/were not the police, mainly, but his own conscious, which was gaining the "upper hand" in his mind. He probably would have ended up confessing to the crime, eventually, especially as the author made it a point to create the character as he did.

Gladys
12-02-2008, 04:18 PM
Had Porfiry's "surprise" not been interrupted by Nikolai's confession, wouldn't Raskalnikov have confessed at once?

RowJimmy
12-02-2008, 05:33 PM
^^ That's what I am inclined to think because that man enters into his thoughts a lot in the time leading up to the "interrogation". However, I think he is more intelligent than that, and would have waited to see what Porfiry had against him.

mea505
12-03-2008, 07:20 AM
Put that way, I think that I tend to agree. I think that he would have been more intelligent and confessed. You are right.

The Beard
12-16-2008, 05:10 PM
I don't think Raskolnikov would have confessed immediately; he would have tried to hold out as long as possible because don't forget that he hated Porfiry, so much so that he would not even go to him at the end when he wished to confess.

No doubt he would have confessed soon though. Porfiry had him on the psychological ropes and the battle was more or less won.

Did anybody else find it funny when Raskolnikov accuses Porfiry of suspecting him, and he then proceeds to shout 'I will not permit it! I will not permit it!' :) It is as if Porfiry's psychological method of inducing confession has reduced Raskolnikov to the mannerisms of a child; all the more a potent example considering his intelligence.