PDA

View Full Version : Crime and Punishment: Part II, Chapter Seven

mea505
12-02-2008, 10:10 AM
Here, Raskolnikov finds the drunken Marmeladov, lying on the ground, injured in the street, having been recently trampled on by a horse and a carriage; he takes the dying man to his home, which is nearby. When he gets there, he is met by Katerina Ivanovna, who is in tears because of the dying man; she tries to care for him, but a doctor later declares that Marmeladov is dying and that there is nothing they can do. (Actually, the doctor asks if they want him to "bleed" the patient, but even the doctor admits that this will be of little benefit for the patient).

Marmeladov has enough energy to call for a priest, who arrives, and tells Katerina that she must forgive the patient for all of his "mis-doings," such as not caring for the family, staying drunk with wine and spirits all the time -- Vodka. Katerina, however, dismisses the priest's suggestions and even curses her husband as well as the priest as both being "worthless." Marmeladov later dies in Sonya's arms.

Raskolnikov then leaves twenty (2) Rubles for the family and then promises his support in the future (where did he get the Rubles?). At this point, another one of Katerina's daughter's, Polenka, chases after Raskolnikov before he leaves the apartment, asking his name; she hugs him and then he, Raskolnikov, asks the little child to pray for him. (why?)

It was at this point in the story that Raskolnikov feels at least partially redeemed (is he really?), and then goes to visit his best friend, Razumikhin, who is a little "drunk" from all of the spirits being served at his housewarming party. But, it was also at this point in the chapter when the doctor, Zossimov, feels that Raskolnikov is mad, which is only reinforced by the conversation that the main character had with the police inspector at the Crystal Palace. Raskolnikov is seen as being "partially fainting" and can hardly stand up -- all this because of the doctor's comments. They all return to the main character's room, where they are met by Pulcheria Alexandrovna and Dunya, who are both "grief-stricken" over Raskolnikov's appearances. Once he finally collapses on the floor, his best friend takes care of him.

bazarov
12-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Razumihin gave him money; he realizes his sins and asks innocent child to pray for his salvation.

mea505
12-02-2008, 01:36 PM
The author tells us that Raskolinkov feels redeemed because the child will pray for him and the fact that he left some money for the family (and pledge continued support in the future); but does everyone think that he was actually redeemed by these actions? Do you think of that as redemption? The punishment part of the novel is twice as long as the crime part.

The Beard
12-16-2008, 10:21 PM
Surely Raskolnikov isn't redeemed; murder cannot be justified by small acts of kindness and the prayers of a little girl. Although, an important message of the novel is that religion leads to salvation - maybe Dostoyevsky depicts Raskolnikov as feeling 'redeemed' because he has started down the path of righteousness, humility, and ultimately salvation.

One thing that bugs me: does redemption not go hand in hand with repenting the actual sin? This is normally the case; take The Rime of the Ancient Mariner for example. It is only after the sinful mariner blesses a creation of God does it start to rain, ending a fatal drought.

My question is, at what point does Raskolnikov repent his sin? I gathered from my reading of the C&P that he never truly regrets killing the money lender.

Dr. Hill
12-16-2008, 10:30 PM
I think only the author considers the prayers at the time to be redemption. Raskolnikov feels strangely obligated and doesn't seem sure of it.

mea505
12-18-2008, 05:42 AM
In this section, while the reader(s) might not think that he is redeemed, he certainly does. This only shows his rather shallow mind, thinking that such acts can produce redemption. The author is utilizing an interesting literature tool to try to convince the reader that redemption is possible, when, in reality, it is a far cry from any form of redemption.

bazarov
12-22-2008, 11:38 AM
Raskolnikov repents only for Lizaveta, but not for Alyona; so I don't think he is redeemed.

Gladys
12-22-2008, 04:26 PM
In this section, while the reader(s) might not think that he is redeemed, he certainly does. This only shows his rather shallow mind, thinking that such acts can produce redemption.

I doubt that Raskolnikov even considers redemption. Although a man of great compassion, he is inflicted with existential despair: the lack of meaning moment-to-moment causes him to swoon.

My question is, at what point does Raskolnikov repent his sin? I gathered from my reading of the C&P that he never truly regrets killing the money lender.

Perhaps Raskolnikov begins the journey to repentance only at the end of the novel.