PDA

View Full Version : Media as a form of control?

SlAyR
11-30-2008, 03:28 AM
Hi there!

I have a quick question about a Brave New World, I have read the book recently and I am wondering how the government utilizes and manipulates the media to control its people?

Thanks,
SlAyR

Picard89
12-14-2008, 12:14 PM
Huxley really does not focus on the media, as opposed to Orwell in 1984. In Orwell's world, people are primarily controlled through fear and propaganda. In Brave New World, people are slaves to the state because they have been conditioned to be content with their societal position. Because everyone is happy except for a handful of the population, the need to use fear or media propaganda is unnecessary.

JCamilo
12-14-2008, 02:32 PM
It is not governament, but everyone else. Discussing is often a way of manipulation: you pick the proper words, the gesture, the voice... all this since always and not only with nasty intentions or effects. (Art or Education).
However, I have to disagree - Huxley have a huge insight about media, at last media used by mass consume society. Everyone being happy, it is all good, the kind of discuss that dominated propaganda those days. Thinking only in obvious dictadorship is a mistake, it is one of the insights were Huxley was superior to Orwell.